Author Topic: "Toronto police officer charged in Sammy Yatim shooting"  (Read 51715 times)

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
Re: "Toronto police officer charged in Sammy Yatim shooting"
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2016, 14:54:15 »
What is sad, is listening to the comments by people with absolutely no knowledge of firearms saying things like "they should shoot for the hands or legs".  I sure hope none of that type of person was on the jury.  If they don't understand that Police, and military, train to shoot the center of the visible mass, and use the "double tap", they should not have been selected.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2016, 15:01:50 »
How do they know the first 3 shots were the fatal ones?

is that cop going to keep his job after putting 6 rounds into someone on the ground?
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline Pilot-Wannabe

• Donor
  • Rate Post
« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2016, 15:06:55 »
Ive been hearing a lot of the same. Shoot for the limbs.  Dont have the heart to tell those saying it that a leg shot can be fatal and that's secondary to the training to shoot for center mass double tap.  A guy on drugs like Yatim was probably wont stop with wounding shot regardless.

His career is over, even with an appeal regardless of the outcome.

EDIT

Results of the shots are in this article.  Second bullet was the fatal one grazing his heart.  As to how exactly the coroner determines that I have no idea.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/christie-blatchford-sammy-yatims-spine-was-shattered-and-he-was-lying-on-his-back-but-const-forcillo-kept-firing-prosecutor-says
« Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 15:21:00 by Pilot-Wannabe »
Recruiting Center: CFRC Hamilton
Regular/Reserve: Regular
Officer/NCM: Officer
Entry Choice: DEO
Trade choice 1: Pilot
Application date: Oct 10, 2017
First contact: Oct. 11, 2017
CFAT: Oct 31st 2017
Background: Complete
ACS: April 18\19 2018 - Pass
Interview: May 15, 2018
Medical: May 15, 2018
Comp list:
Position offered:
BMOQ:

jollyjacktar

« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2016, 17:08:27 »
What is sad, is listening to the comments by people with absolutely no knowledge of firearms saying things like "they should shoot for the hands or legs".  I sure hope none of that type of person was on the jury.  If they don't understand that Police, and military, train to shoot the center of the visible mass, and use the "double tap", they should not have been selected.

That is the "Hollywood" effect.  They do it in the movies and it's usually a good outcome, right?  Why can't it be done in real life like many other things in the movies.  You know, cops solver murders in under a half hour, you can dust for fingerprints anywhere and always come up with perfect ones straight away that get a hit first time on who turns out to be the prime suspect.

Offline Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2016, 17:15:23 »
I know I solve all of my problems with a blacklight and hard rock music.  Average time is 10mins.  Lost keys, evidence of milk spilling, cat litter, murder, you name it.
Optio

jollyjacktar

« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2016, 17:18:36 »
I know I solve all of my problems with a blacklight and hard rock music.  Average time is 10mins.  Lost keys, evidence of milk spilling, cat litter, murder, you name it.

LOL.

Offline Retired AF Guy

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #56 on: January 25, 2016, 19:29:07 »
How do they know the first 3 shots were the fatal ones?

I would imagine the angle of the bullets entering the body (standing vs on the ground).

Years ago, fairy tales all began with, "Once upon a time." Now we know they all began with, "If I'm elected."

Carolyn Warner

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #57 on: May 16, 2016, 08:45:14 »
May 16, 2016

Forcillo's lawyers seek house arrest sentence in Yatim death
http://www.680news.com/2016/05/16/forcillos-lawyers-seek-house-arrest-sentence-yatim-death/
A police officer found guilty of attempted murder in the death of a teen on an empty streetcar will be back in a Toronto courtroom Monday, where his lawyers will argue for a sentence of house arrest.
Const. James Forcillo has filed a constitutional challenge to the mandatory minimum sentence of four or five years that he faces in the shooting death of 18-year-old Sammy Yatim.

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #58 on: July 28, 2016, 14:52:23 »

Offline whiskey601

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #59 on: July 28, 2016, 15:13:38 »
Brauti already filed the appeal before sentencing, bail application soon. Public Order units must be on standby, Forcillo is not a threat to anyone if on bail...

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #60 on: July 28, 2016, 15:45:56 »
Public Order units must be on standby,

The Police Chief announced he has suspended Forcillo's salary effective today. Sammy's mother is suing the City for $8 million. His father for another $7 million...

"According to Melody Garcia, another passenger, Yatim "took his penis out with one hand and a knife in another."

Jul 29, 2016

Forcillo granted bail as he appeals conviction in Yatim death
http://www.680news.com/2016/07/29/forcillo-granted-bail-appeals-conviction-yatim-death/
A Toronto police officer sentenced to six years for gunning down a troubled teen on an empty streetcar three years ago has been granted bail while he appeals the conviction.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 14:00:36 by mariomike »

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.