Author Topic: Tablets  (Read 51959 times)

Offline Hamish Seggie

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • This is my son Michael, KIA Afghanistan 3 Sep 08
Re: Tablets
« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2014, 21:31:08 »
When we, even the PRes go to the ranges etc, we must tote along a stupid huge range box full of publications, that may or may not be current. Two e-readers would solve that issue. One near the RSO and one in the CP.
Freedom Isn't Free   "Never Shall I Fail My Brothers"

“Do everything that is necessary and nothing that is not".

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2014, 00:13:07 »
..... we must tote along a stupid huge range box full of publications.....
Give it to the Jimmies to carry; apparently that's the best way to deal with pubs.    ;)
There’s nothing more maddening than debating someone who doesn’t know history, doesn’t read books, and frames their myopia as virtue. The level of unapologetic conjecture I’ve encountered lately isn’t just frustrating, it’s retrogressive, unprecedented, and absolutely terrifying.
~Chris Evans

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2014, 10:24:37 »
Remember when calculators where rare items? E-readers are going to get better yet, flexible screens will likely be common and affordable in a decade. people will likely have a tablet/e-reader fitted into their field Message Pad holder in the near future.

Offline Fishbone Jones

MSC -3925.

• "Some people will only like you if you fit inside their box. Don't be afraid to shove that box up their ass."
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
    • Army.ca
« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2014, 10:40:44 »
Remember when calculators where rare items? E-readers are going to get better yet, flexible screens will likely be common and affordable in a decade. people will likely have a tablet/e-reader fitted into their field Message Pad holder in the near future.

But not before some Jimmy NCO says you can, apparently.
Diversity includes adverse opinions, or it is not diversity.
Inclusive includes adverse opinions, or is not inclusive.

Offline Lightguns

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I live for trout and deer
« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2014, 10:43:54 »

But first the little Jimmy NCO will have to get permission from Shared Services Canada on whether or not he is allowed to have an opinion.  Soon SSC is going to make a play for all IS not deployed out of Canada and Jimmy is going to be de-nutted like a mutt in the city pound!
Done, 34 years, 43 days complete, got's me damn pension!

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2014, 15:11:57 »
But first the little Jimmy NCO will have to get permission from Shared Services Canada on whether or not he is allowed to have an opinion.  Soon SSC is going to make a play for all IS not deployed out of Canada and Jimmy is going to be de-nutted like a mutt in the city pound!

Too late. Thats probably why I stayed Core though, as far away from DWAN and IS/IT as I can....

Offline Hamish Seggie

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2014, 09:37:40 »
Give it to the Jimmies to carry; apparently that's the best way to deal with pubs.    ;)

Our Jimmies don't want to play...... ???

Offline Beadwindow 7

• Life is cruel, and I am but a small slice of life
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • ZBM2
« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2014, 10:34:17 »

Well, they do need to be read somehow.

Well, if people keep buying whatever they want, we'll keep getting guys show up wanting to us to set DWAN up these:

Now, jokes aside, as far as the original request: SAFETY/RANGE PUBS

My old unit, we did get approval from a certain Training area for laptop with a USB stick loaded with the electronic copies of the pubs to meet the requirement. However, we still needed to have our Range Box with required hard copy of pubs available. Reasoning being, what if your laptop/power source dies.

Spin-off: sourcing tablets/e-readers

If it already in the system, you need change your unit's entitlement to get them. Off the top of my head, I know of Blackberry playbooks in the system (they suck, but they're there, and you can hook em up to DWAN or BB's).

CF-19's are overkill for a PAM/PUB repository, and I'm sure any available should be required for other tasks.

Believe me, I've had issues procuring stuff. Yes, I understand it's frustrating when you have a budget, and want to buy something, and I say "I can't get that for you, it's not allowed."

IS procurement is a HUGE PITA. And it seems to me that RFCs are base in area's, not nationwide, so "yes I understand some Col in Kingston has a USB turbohub hooked-up to his DVPNI laptop, but apparently I have to jump through the hoops here in Western Area to get you one sir. Turn around is however long it takes"

I would love to be able to just go out and buy proven kit, especially if it's with someone else money, but unfortunately, I get my pee pee slapped pretty hard for it. Personally, if it's not going to be plugged into the IS infrastructure, and it's not in the system, get your RQ to LPO.

spin-off: Empire building & SSC

It's there, it's going to happen, we'll keep trying to find fixes to avoid it, but it IS going to affect everyone. Timelines have already gotten longer for repair/replacement, as approval levels keep going higher and higher.

Unhappy with it? Talk to your Ops, have them start engaging your J6 levels, with documented examples of slow timeframe and lack of answers.

Sorry I can't just buy stuff for you with your budget/money.
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline Kat Stevens

Quando omni flunkus moritati.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • that's how we roll in redneck land
« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2014, 10:43:39 »
iPod touch in an otter box, about $400 all in. Sorted.  You're welcome.
Apparently, a "USUAL SUSPECT"

“In peace there's nothing so becomes a man as modest stillness and humility; but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger; stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with hard-favor'd rage.”

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and start slitting throats

Offline Hamish Seggie

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #59 on: January 11, 2014, 10:48:17 »

But its not Canadian!!! Oh heavens!!

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #60 on: January 11, 2014, 11:29:18 »

And there is far cheaper solutions which don't require Apple's proprietary software.

Offline Kat Stevens

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #61 on: January 11, 2014, 11:41:32 »
And there is far cheaper solutions which don't require Apple's proprietary software.

That fit in a shirt pocket?  Again, you're welcome.

“In peace there's nothing so becomes a man as modest stillness and humility; but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger; stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with hard-favor'd rage.”

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and start slitting throats

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #62 on: January 11, 2014, 16:04:44 »
That fit in a shirt pocket?  Again, you're welcome.

Because shirt pockets are the overarching factor in picking technological advancements.  ::)

Offline Kat Stevens

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #63 on: January 11, 2014, 16:52:46 »
Because shirt pockets are the overarching factor in picking technological advancements.  ::)

No, apparently over engineered, grossly over valued and borderline useless equipment are... ::) back atcha.

PS you really should learn to realize when someone is having a laugh.  Here's a hint;  There isn't much in this forum that I do reply seriously to, as I find the pretty much the whole military system quite funny.

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #64 on: January 11, 2014, 16:54:17 »
Well then, thanks for chiming in while the rest of us were having a serious discussion.

Offline Kat Stevens

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #65 on: January 11, 2014, 16:55:00 »
Well then, thanks for chiming in while the rest of us were having a serious discussion.

It's what I do, you're entirely welcome.

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #66 on: January 11, 2014, 18:00:09 »
It's time for a........

;)
There’s nothing more maddening than debating someone who doesn’t know history, doesn’t read books, and frames their myopia as virtue. The level of unapologetic conjecture I’ve encountered lately isn’t just frustrating, it’s retrogressive, unprecedented, and absolutely terrifying.
~Chris Evans

Offline Humphrey Bogart

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #67 on: January 11, 2014, 19:26:53 »
Tablets would be a great purchase, especially for HQ's who tend to generate an insane amount of paperwork/paper wasting.  I frequently spend hours printing and binding 100's of pages of powerpoint slides a week for any number of briefs my boss has to attend.  If we had tablets, it would save enormous amounts of paper as I would simply be able to upload the briefs to the Commander's tablet which he could then use at the upcoming brief he has to attend.  This would also allow for quick changes to briefs to occur and no longer would staff have to scramble to print out last minute copies of the 200 page powerpoint deck they just made.

This sort of thing is common practice in universities and many work places across the country.  My mother, who works in education, uses a tablet for all her presentations, briefs, etc... that she needs to give or attend; therefore, why does the military have to be any different?

Offline NFLD Sapper

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • CFSME STAFF
« Reply #68 on: January 11, 2014, 19:31:17 »
We trialled tablets 2 years ago for our DP2 course...to mixed reviews...
CHIMO!
First in, Last out
Sappers Lead the Way

Just tell your wife she owes your life to some Muddy Old Engineer,
Some dusty, crusty, croaking, joking Muddy Old Engineer

Offline Humphrey Bogart

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #69 on: January 11, 2014, 19:36:24 »
We trialled tablets 2 years ago for our DP2 course...to mixed reviews...

I have seen issued blackberry playbooks; however, they ran into major problems because they tried to install Windows XP onto them and make them run on the DWAN like a normal laptop.... classic DND trying to fit a square into a circle ;)

I know some people also didn't like them because.... they *cough* didn't know or want to learn how *cough* to use them.  We tend to be about 10 years behind industry in adopting new practices like this so I expect will have the whole tablet thing sorted out by about 2025.... just about when I am ready to pull pin ;)

Offline Hamish Seggie

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #70 on: January 11, 2014, 22:31:29 »
I have seen issued blackberry playbooks; however, they ran into major problems because they tried to install Windows XP onto them and make them run on the DWAN like a normal laptop.... classic DND trying to fit a square into a circle ;)

I know some people also didn't like them because.... they *cough* didn't know or want to learn how *cough* to use them.  We tend to be about 10 years behind industry in adopting new practices like this so I expect will have the whole tablet thing sorted out by about 2025.... just about when I am ready to pull pin ;)

By 2025 we'll have implants in our heads that will down load whatever "the man" wants you to have.

Offline Humphrey Bogart

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #71 on: January 11, 2014, 22:40:47 »
By 2025 we'll have implants in our heads that will down load whatever "the man" wants you to have.

"You take the blue pill – the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red pill – you stay in Wonderland, and I show you how deep the rabbit hole goes."

;)

Offline NFLD Sapper

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • CFSME STAFF
« Reply #72 on: January 11, 2014, 22:50:43 »

:facepalm:
CHIMO!
First in, Last out
Sappers Lead the Way

Just tell your wife she owes your life to some Muddy Old Engineer,
Some dusty, crusty, croaking, joking Muddy Old Engineer

Offline Old EO Tech

• Rate Post
« Reply #73 on: January 12, 2014, 00:48:52 »

RD, that seems pretty outlandish considering the Playbook runs on an arm processor so only Windows RT would have a chance of running on it, and RT is so unpopular that MS is discontinuing them.  All DND/GOC would have to do is buy the 4G version of the Playbook and treat it just like a BB phone without the calling features.

Jon

Offline Pre-flight

• Rate Post
« Reply #74 on: January 12, 2014, 09:31:41 »
RD, that seems pretty outlandish considering the Playbook runs on an arm processor so only Windows RT would have a chance of running on it, and RT is so unpopular that MS is discontinuing them.  All DND/GOC would have to do is buy the 4G version of the Playbook and treat it just like a BB phone without the calling features.

Jon

BB is running on borrowed time at this point, and the Playbook is almost a year discontinued. I know that SSC is trialing BES 10 right now, as well as other 3rd party mobile manager software.

If I were a betting man I would say we'll see an end to the BB only policy within a couple of years as the ability to manage iOS and Android devices from an enterprise perspective is starting to be just as well developed as that for BB.

Once that happens you will see tablets, until then, anything you do see is just something a unit bought out of O&M without proper approval.