Author Topic: What's Steve Bannon been up to lately?  (Read 1163 times)

Online FJAG

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ex Gladio Justicia
    • WordPress Page
What's Steve Bannon been up to lately?
« on: October 30, 2018, 00:05:05 »
For anyone interested in following what's happened to the ex-presidential advisor/Breitbart s**t disturber since the Mercers told him to take a hike, Spiegel has a good article (in English)

The Stephen Bannon Project
Searching in Europe for Glory Days Gone By
It used to be that Europeans would head to the New World on the search for a new start. Former White House strategist Stephen Bannon, though, has made the journey in reverse. Contrary to his grand plans, however, he's not making much progress.

©    By Christoph Scheuermann

October 29, 2018  05:51 PM Print FeedbackComment

Early in the morning, before he grabs for his three cell phones, Stephen Bannon sits in a brown, leather armchair in his bedroom and meditates. Twenty minutes of silence followed by an examination of what lies ahead for the day - and then a bit of what he calls divine reading. Currently, he is focusing on the history of the Catholic Church. He says the routine helps him avoid going completely crazy. Or, in Bannon's own voice: "Without meditating I would go ******* insane."

He sinks into the armchair next to the bed like a tired gorilla. Gray stubble, stringy hair, red nose, gaping pores. At first glance, one might think that he had a bit too much Rioja the night before, but his only visitors were a couple of people from the White House who stayed late. He slept two, three hours, then an idea, a message, a thought jerked him out of bed, as is so often the case. Bannon doesn't drink alcohol, only water, coffee and Red Bull.

. . .

See full article here:

Part 1 http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/stephen-bannon-tries-rightwing-revolution-in-europe-a-1235297.html

Part 2 http://www.spiegel.de/international/world/stephen-bannon-tries-rightwing-revolution-in-europe-a-1235297-2.html

:cheers:
Illegitimi non carborundum
Semper debeatis percutis ictu primo
Access my "Allies" book series at:
https://wolfriedel.wordpress.com

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
Re: What's Steve Bannon been up to lately?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2018, 08:11:20 »
He's also participating in the latest of the Munk Debates, opposite David Frum, at Roy Thompson Hall this Friday (2 Nov -- it's sold out).  The topic is "the future of western politics is populist not liberal."
There’s nothing more maddening than debating someone who doesn’t know history, doesn’t read books, and frames their myopia as virtue. The level of unapologetic conjecture I’ve encountered lately isn’t just frustrating, it’s retrogressive, unprecedented, and absolutely terrifying.
~Chris Evans

Online FJAG

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ex Gladio Justicia
    • WordPress Page
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2018, 13:16:13 »
Which seems to be upsetting the NDP.

NDP wants Steve Bannon debate cancelled

Appearance by 'provocateur' inappropriate after Pittsburgh shooting, MP says

Louis Blouin · CBC News · Posted: Oct 30, 2018

The federal NDP is calling on organizers of a Toronto debate series to cancel an event that is set to include U.S. President Donald Trump's former strategist Steve Bannon.

The party said having Bannon participate in the Munk Debates is inappropriate after the death of 11 people in a Pittsburgh synagogue this past weekend.

"I ask the Munk Foundation to cancel its invitation out of respect for the victims in Pittsburgh," NDP MP Charlie Angus told CBC News, in French.

. . .

See rest of article here:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/steve-bannon-munk-debate-1.4883327
Illegitimi non carborundum
Semper debeatis percutis ictu primo
Access my "Allies" book series at:
https://wolfriedel.wordpress.com

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2018, 17:15:21 »
Steve's views may be popular with some in Toronto.

But, if it is any indication of how many, Faith Goldy ( for those who have heard of her ) garnered only 3.4% of the votes in last weeks mayoral election. 
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 17:58:23 by mariomike »

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2018, 18:05:36 »
Yep, Bannon is controversial;  I agree with very little of his views (but don't disagree with all).  Frum is taking the stage as a "conservative," who also preaches political liberalism (small "L" -- save the flinch);  I disagree regularly with some of his points too.

What I enjoy though [yes, I accept that it IS my hobby-horse], is that they both come to the table -- 'left' and 'right' -- and offer informed opinions;  just two speakers who actually know what they're talking about.... even though they disagree politically.

I'm looking forward to it.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 18:08:19 by Journeyman »
There’s nothing more maddening than debating someone who doesn’t know history, doesn’t read books, and frames their myopia as virtue. The level of unapologetic conjecture I’ve encountered lately isn’t just frustrating, it’s retrogressive, unprecedented, and absolutely terrifying.
~Chris Evans

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2018, 08:52:56 »
A video of the debate is available on YouTube, here.

David Frum has provided his perspective in this Atlantic article, "The Real Lesson of My Debate With Steve Bannon."

The article starts by critiquing the numerous protests demanding the debate be cancelled: "Forceful interruption of public events is almost always wrong.  If I see you reading a book I dislike, I have no right to grab it from you."  He then outlines his target audiences and main arguments, then looked at the snag with the voting system -- Munk debates are assessed on whether it changed any minds --  déjà vu? ( :facepalm: )

The article concludes with:

The story ends, then, in a great irony. Integral to the liberal project, again in the broad sense of the word liberal, is confidence in the power of reason. Words and arguments can overbear ignorance and prejudice. Over the long term, words and arguments can even overcome oppression and violence. That’s why liberals in the broad sense are so uniquely horrified by official lying: How can reason prevail unless words connect to reality? How can we argue against people who will spread fictions, if serviceable to them, without a qualm?

Illiberals and anti-liberals, on the other hand, appreciate the dark energy of human irrationality—not merely as a fact of our nature to be negotiated, but as a potent political resource. People do not think; they feel. They do not believe what is true; they regard as true that which they wish to believe. A lie that affirms us will gain more credence than a truth that challenges us.

~Chris Evans

Offline QV

• Rate Post
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2018, 09:57:41 »
Frum ad hominem against Trump.  That's the gist of his position.       

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2018, 10:24:50 »
Frum ad hominem against Trump.  That's the gist of his position.     
Did you actually listen to the debate at the link?

Yes, it's a rhetorical question, since the length of the debate is 1hr 36min, and it hasn't been 1.5 hours between posting the link and your Pavlovian response.

But thank you.
~Chris Evans

Offline QV

• Rate Post
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2018, 11:54:06 »
Did you actually listen to the debate at the link?

Yes, it's a rhetorical question, since the length of the debate is 1hr 36min, and it hasn't been 1.5 hours between posting the link and your Pavlovian response.

But thank you.

I watched the debate on YouTube over the weekend.  Sorry Journeyman, but your link is not the only source for this, even if you like to think so.  But thank you.

Offline Halifax Tar

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ready Aye Ready
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2018, 16:58:50 »
Watching it right now.  Half hour in and I am enjoying it very much.
Lead me, follow me or get the hell out of my way

Offline CBH99

• Rate Post
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2018, 20:23:36 »
I just watched most of the debate (Pretty sure I'm ADHD af, but was never diagnosed.)  Either way, I had it on in the background and paid attention to it.

Honestly, I very much enjoyed it.  Worth watching.
Fortune Favours the Bold...and the Smart.

Wouldn't it be nice to have some Boondock Saints kicking around?