Author Topic: 3.5km in 22 mins  (Read 29146 times)

Offline Newguy1

• Rate Post
3.5km in 22 mins
« on: February 12, 2014, 01:29:01 »
I just got an offer and start BMQ shortly, I was hoping to have more time to improve my running. I can do 3.5k in 22 mins and then im pretty much pooched, how do u think ill fair in BMQ? end of the pack?

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Non-Electric Pop-Up Target
Re: 3.5km in 22 mins
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 03:55:52 »
I just got an offer and start BMQ shortly, I was hoping to have more time to improve my running. I can do 3.5k in 22 mins and then im pretty much pooched, how do u think ill fair in BMQ? end of the pack?

I won't BS you, you're in trouble. You really need to be working on both speed and distance. The process to join is long enough that this isn't a surprise for you. Your cardio should be much farther along by now. Get running at least four days a week- t least one day where you max out distance, and at least one day where you make yourself puke doing intervals. BMQ will not be forgiving if you show up out of shape.
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline MCG

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 05:29:09 »
Aim for 5 km in 25 min.

Offline runormal

• Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 09:02:44 »
I used to be a couch potato, Ive used this free program to go from nothing to a 5k in under 25. (Its literally a chart with 9 weeks of walking to running). I've also sent it to siblings/friends and all of them have gotten up to 5k.

Here is the link
http://www.squidoo.com/C25K-Running     [link no longer works. Bruce]

I'd try mid week 4 based on what you are saying. Just use the stop watch feature on your phone/iPod.

Like the others have said you will be screwed if you can't do 5k in 25.

Goodluck

« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 08:08:51 by Bruce Monkhouse »

Offline Newguy1

• Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 10:54:59 »
Thanks for the response. So even if I pass the FORCE test or EXPRESS test depending on what they use, can i still choose to goto RFT if I cant do 5k in 25 or 30 minutes?

Offline PMedMoe

is retired and loving it!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 10:57:16 »
You don't "choose" to go to RFT....
"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving".
~ Lao Tzu~

Offline ForeverLearning

• Rate Post
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 10:57:48 »
Although I havn't done BMQ myself I don't think you have to much to worry about from what i've read about people's experiences if they are close to accurate. BMQ isn't going to put you into 5km runs on day one. They do baby steps in, i believe its in 3 different phases. That being said, don't slack from this point to day 1.

Offline ModlrMike

: Riding time again... woohooo!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Canadian Association of Physician Assistants
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2014, 10:59:40 »
I'm not sure RFT is applicable if you're successful at the EXPRES or FORCE. I could be wrong.
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. (H.L. Mencken 1919)
Zero tolerance is the politics of the lazy. All it requires is that you do nothing and ban everything.

Offline Okanagan Guy

• Rate Post
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2014, 17:08:22 »
Week 1 day 04, 5km run at 5am... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zg_roqtn4Ok . Not sure about the pace though. I'm not in the CF either but based on the research I've done it's not the 5km run that will kill you. It's the 25 pushups immediately after. Then the 2 hour power point presentation. Then the afternoon run... then the evening run... with pushups every step of the way. Not to mention the shock to your system of early mornings, constant activity, change in diet, classrooms settings (for those of us that haven't been in a classroom for a while). Do all that for a few weeks straight while getting screamed at by the instructors (who are just doing their job) with no cell phone or internet while being away from the wife and kid... that is the tough part of BMQ. You should start working out and running multiple times a day. Do 25 push ups at random throughout the day. I highly doubt the CF is interested in people who just do the bare minimum... but again I'm not in the CF yet so take that for with a grain of salt. Good luck and congrats on the offer!
Recruiting Centre: Vancouver
Regular/ Reserve: Regular
NCM
Trade 1: AESOP
Trade 2: ACOP
Applied: Oct 2012
CFAT: May, 2013
Medical: Oct 08, 2013
Interview: Oct 08, 2013
-----------------------------
Changed Trades 2015
Trade choice 1: Infantry
Trade choice 2: Armoured Solder
Trade Choice 3:Combat Engineer
Medical: Oct 013, 2015 UPDATED
Interview: Oct 13, 2015 UPDATED
RS Status: Granted Nov 2015
Merit Listed: Jan 11, 2016
Offer Date: Jan 15, 2016
Swear In: Feb 03, 2016
BMQ: Feb 15, 2016

Offline mkil

• Rate Post
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2014, 17:50:01 »
You really do need to get at least that distance up. 3.5 km is really short. At that pace, you will fall out early on. The pace they start is about 5km per 30 mins.
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever - Ghandi

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2014, 18:00:43 »
Although I havn't done BMQ myself I don't think you have to much to worry about from what i've read about people's experiences if they are close to accurate. BMQ isn't going to put you into 5km runs on day one. They do baby steps in, i believe its in 3 different phases. That being said, don't slack from this point to day 1.

You aren't even in the military. You have no place whatsoever giving people advice on what they should and should not be concerned about for BMQ. You have no place giving advice on what should be expected of someone who aspires to be a soldier. Until you're in and have some time in to base your experiences on, get out of the habit of thinking you have anything to offer on military subjects. We have experienced soldiers here for that.
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline Newguy1

• Rate Post
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2014, 15:45:08 »
Ok thanks for the input.

I will be screwed if I cant do 5k in 25 mins? By screwed you mean what? released?

Why does the FORCE test only require level 6 shuttle run then?

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2014, 15:53:44 »
Ok thanks for the input.

I will be screwed if I cant do 5k in 25 mins? By screwed you mean what? released?

Not released, but you will be 'that guy' who quite obviously did not arrive in shape and can't keep up on runs. You will face more skepticism from course mates and closer scrutiny from your staff. The biggest factor, I'd argue, going into the first impression anyone makes showing up to start with the training is fitness, because that's something that is fully within our ability to affect prior to joining. You will have to push yourself harder and you will be more prone to injury as a result of showing up insufficiently fit for the demands you will face. You have no real choice but to work your *** off between now and when you leave.

This isn't personal- I don't know you, likely never will, and don't really care. Take this all as a blunt, realistic assessment of where you're at and what you're heading into. This does NOT mean you will be unsuccessful in BMQ. It means that your chances of failure are somewhat higher, and that it's definitely going to suck more. The biggest variable will be how badly you really want it and how hard you'll push from here on in to get it. The profession of arms is one where fitness is essential and can be the difference between life and death, mission success and mission failure.

Offline Kat Stevens

Quando omni flunkus moritati.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • that's how we roll in redneck land
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2014, 15:55:13 »
Ok thanks for the input.

Because FORCE is the MINIMUM fitness standard for the CF.  Life as a soldier is ever so slightly more strenuous than that, and a higher level of fitness is therefore required.   PT at basic isn't really all that tough.
Apparently, a "USUAL SUSPECT"

“In peace there's nothing so becomes a man as modest stillness and humility; but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger; stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with hard-favor'd rage.”

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and start slitting throats

Offline Newguy1

• Rate Post
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2014, 17:06:03 »
Ah ok thanks, im going for AC op, not a soldier :)

Offline Kat Stevens

Quando omni flunkus moritati.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • that's how we roll in redneck land
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2014, 17:08:59 »

Well in that case, load up on the krispee Kremes and don't worry about it.
Apparently, a "USUAL SUSPECT"

“In peace there's nothing so becomes a man as modest stillness and humility; but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger; stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with hard-favor'd rage.”

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and start slitting throats

Offline ballz

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2014, 17:40:01 »
but based on the research I've done it's not the 5km run that will kill you. It's the...

You're pretty close, but those are all things that anybody with the right mindset heading into it can adjust, and this:

is not it.

The biggest variable will be how badly you really want it

Apparently, not really that much...  :not-again:
Many persons have a wrong idea of what constitutes true happiness. It is not attained through self-gratification, but through fidelity to a worthy purpose.
- Helen Keller

Offline jlv031

• Rate Post
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2014, 17:44:03 »
Soldier first... AC op after.... Change your attitude sir

Offline runormal

• Rate Post
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2014, 18:34:59 »

Every course I've been on the runs have been longer than they were anticipated. This doesn't really bother me as I enjoy PT, however it was unfortunate as it would screw everyone else over and cut int our ablutions and meal times. How? It because of people like you, even on my DP1 after people had been through two courses, they still would fall out of PT.

So what ends up happening, is we can't  leave anyone behind, so we would run and around the 3/4 mark of the run people would fall out. We'd see that, turn around pick up said individuals and watch them fall out again and again. What was once a 5km run turns into 6km, and that takes away five precious minutes of meeting our timing for breakfast. If we are late, not only are we doing pushups, we now have even less time to eat. At the end of day it doesn't matter but it is frustrating to say the least. All of this could be avoided if people would show up courses physically fit. No one is asking you to be able run a marathon, but is it really to much to ask for you to be able to do 5k in under 25? Look I was just like you, I did nothing for cardio, played hockey in the winter and soccer in the summer that's it. But I played at the lowest level as my cardio was garbage. When I started that couch potato - 5k program in the summer I could barely finish the first day I was so tired after. But I knew that I was joining the reserves and had a swear in date for Sept, so when I showed up to basic I had no problems with the cardio.

Don't worry, when you need help from your course mates they won't forget.

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2014, 18:51:09 »
If you fake an injury you won't even have to march with all the soldiers  :nod:
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline Flavus101

• Rate Post
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2014, 20:45:23 »
If you fake an injury you won't even have to march with all the soldiers  :nod:

And I thought the same couple of guys that constantly got injured during (or immediately before) PT were being legit!  ::) Even in my short time in I have seen this occur quite frequently.

For the OP. If you are constantly dragging your feet and not putting out the effort to help your fireteam partner, section and platoon it will be noticed by the folks around you. Make sure you show up as prepared as you possibly can be, that is both a mental and physical game. Putting in a bit of effort before you show up goes a long way. Struggling here and there is normal and your buddies will be there to help you, just make sure that you are able to do the same for them when they are struggling.

Offline Zulopol

• Private
  • Rate Post
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2014, 17:13:13 »
I do 5km in 30min is that bad ?
Centre de recrutement: Québec
Régulière/Reserve: Régulière
Officier/Membre du Rang: Membre du Rang
Choix 1: Blindé
Choix 2: -
Choix 3: -
Postuler: Février 2014
Premier Rendez-vous: 05 Mars 2014
Test Médical: 12 Mars 2014
(Dossier médical envoyé le: 28 Mars 2014)
Entrevue: 12 Mars 2014
Liste des mérites: 16 Mai 2014
Offre d'emploi: 07 Juillet 2014
Enrôlement le: 28 Août 2014
Camp des Recrues (QMB): 15 Septembre 2014 (Terminé)

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2014, 17:22:00 »
Soldier first... AC op after.... Change your attitude sir

Realizing this is a late reply, I'm still going to make it.

AC Op is an Air Op's trade, same as my trade is Air Ops.  There are no 'soldiers' in Air Ops trades.  It is not a matter of attitude.    ::)

Pilot, RADAR...turn right, heading...3-6-5...

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2014, 17:26:06 »
I do 5km in 30min is that bad ?

You are going combat arms and will be heading to battle school.  Regardless of what your level is now, the better shape you are in, the better you are going to be able to perform on BMQ, BMQ-L and DP1 or whatever it is called now.  Example, (when I used to teach Armd QL3s atleast...) the FTX for the QL3 course was an "infantry in the defense" type field ex. 

After you're a qualified Trooper, you will continue to maintain your shape.  Round, from eating hot dogs in your c/s's boiler vessel and supporting the Sqn canteen.   ;D

:2c:
Pilot, RADAR...turn right, heading...3-6-5...

Offline jlv031

• Rate Post
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2014, 17:31:52 »
I know air force in general seem soft compare to some army trades but I still think we are all ask to carry a C7 if needed and to many times I saw air force guys on WASF being dangerous with a weapon.
All component get through the same basic training. Anyways this is just my opinion and I would like to think that all canadian forces personnal are fit.