Author Topic: Two CF members arrested in Petawawa over Cpl Bloggins Facebook page  (Read 74678 times)

Offline bradley247

• Rate Post
http://vancouverisland.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=294469

I'll be interested to see how this story develops.

Offline ModlrMike

: Riding time again... woohooo!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Canadian Association of Physician Assistants
Re: Two CF members arrested in Petawawa over Cpl Bloggins Facebook page
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 22:25:21 »
'Twas only a matter of time.
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. (H.L. Mencken 1919)
Zero tolerance is the politics of the lazy. All it requires is that you do nothing and ban everything.

Offline Kat Stevens

Quando omni flunkus moritati.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • that's how we roll in redneck land
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 22:27:11 »
IF GUILTY, I hope they roast their nuts.
Apparently, a "USUAL SUSPECT"

“In peace there's nothing so becomes a man as modest stillness and humility; but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger; stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with hard-favor'd rage.”

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and start slitting throats

Offline 2ndChoiceName

• Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2014, 22:39:25 »
I had no idea it was as bad as outlined in the videos. Disgusting.

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2014, 22:52:26 »
I've heard a woman from out West got in quite a bit of hot water for making a fake Cpl bloggins Web page and saying some pretty  bad crap in an attempt to make bloggins "look bad".  People at work and posts I've seen on that dumb page are saying it was the woman from the ctv link. 

« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 23:04:19 by ObedientiaZelum »
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline ModlrMike

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2014, 23:07:18 »
You would have to try exceptionally hard to make Bloggins "look bad". In fact, looking bad would be an improvement over the current content. Having watched the video, some of the stuff they showed appeared to have come from the source, so I don't think she was making anything up. To add, if the NIS arrested someone, they would surely have sufficient evidence to do so.
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. (H.L. Mencken 1919)
Zero tolerance is the politics of the lazy. All it requires is that you do nothing and ban everything.

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 23:25:45 »
I'm sure she wasn't making up being made fun of and harassed one bit, the harassing comments looked like sop for that page.

I never seen the fake bloggins page but I did catch some posts of bloggins and friends going ape crap about comments alledegly made by the woman.
There are no wolves on Fenris

Online kratz

Spring 2018.

• Float, Move, Fight
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2014, 23:45:23 »
I'm confident this will be resolved appropriately.

I am content to see this item move forward and some action being taken, as warrented.
Quote from: Pipe *General Call*
"Tanning Stations on the flight deck"

Remember, this site is unofficial and privately owned. The site benefits from the presence of current members willing to answer questions.

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2014, 00:00:07 »
I'm confident this will be resolved appropriately.

I am content to see this item move forward and some action being taken, as warrented.
Perhaps I'm cynical....OK, scratch "perhaps".....I see nothing coming out of this.

The military wants to do the right thing (ie- CSD, appropriate punishment, justice being seen to be done), but you just know that the advocates of "freedom of speech trumping responsible behaviour" will have a field-day of 'those moving$$-entitled Generals picking on the Cpls.' And we all know, the regular cast of rent-a-talking head and anti-military hand-wringers will be lining up for an "opinion."

I'm afraid the military justice system has become too emasculated, coupled with political oversight pre-disposed to cringe at potentially negative media coverage -- even though they're already reporting it as a hate crime [should be win-win]

Offline FJAG

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ex Gladio Justicia
    • WordPress Page
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2014, 00:25:53 »
I'm afraid the military justice system has become too emasculated, coupled with political oversight pre-disposed to cringe at potentially negative media coverage -- even though they're already reporting it as a hate crime [should be win-win]

I know cynicism is the order of the day but let me reassure you that the military justice system has been neither "emasculated" nor "coupled with political oversight pre-disposed to cringe at negative media coverage".

While quite some time ago we lowered the powers of punishment for commanding and delegated officers all that resulted in is that the more serious offences are diverted (by election or direction) to the court martial system where heavier punishments are available.

The JAG stands completely independent of the chain of command. As far as the court martial system is concerned, so has the charge preferral process since it was transferred from the chain of command-based convening authorities to the Director of Military Prosecutions.

Charges are authorized when credible evidence of an offence is developed by the police and prosecutions are moved forward when the prosecutors determine that there is a reasonable likelihood of conviction. The chain of command cannot interfere and media coverage, whether negative or positive, plays zero role in the process.

Have a good one.

:cheers:
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 00:32:40 by FJAG »
Illegitimi non carborundum
Semper debeatis percutis ictu primo
Access my "Allies" book series at:
https://wolfriedel.wordpress.com

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2014, 00:35:51 »
.....let me reassure you ....

Yes, that's nice.

Belly up to the bar and pull your cash out.  Are you willing to bet on the outcome of these two arrests?

:pop:

Offline devil39

• Rate Post
  • Ex-Army Guy
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2014, 00:43:13 »
Yes, that's nice.

Belly up to the bar and pull your cash out.  Are you willing to bet on the outcome of these two arrests?

:pop:

I'm with Journeyman on this one.... emasculated....

Much has changed in my time, though not always as a negative.

Offline Lightguns

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I live for trout and deer
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2014, 06:54:22 »
 :salute:

Edit:  Checked the page, they (it and it's followers) are still making fun of the LBQTs and now added the MPs and CTV to their hate parade.  Still lots of soldiers posting hate and participating in bully other soldiers under their own names.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 07:06:28 by Lightguns »
Done, 34 years, 43 days complete, got's me damn pension!

Offline Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2014, 07:26:46 »
His other page seems gone though. Or at least content was removed.
Optio

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2014, 07:42:52 »
http://vancouverisland.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=294469

I'll be interested to see how this story develops.
Here's a readable version of the CTV story .....
A Facebook group berating gays and lesbians in the Canadian Forces is being investigated after publishing personal information about a B.C. transsexual woman.

Comox resident Katherine Bickford, a former member of the military, said the “Cpl Bloggins” group crossed a line last Saturday when it posted pictures of her family online.

“That became the point where this went beyond making us angry and got to the point where we were afraid,” Bickford said. “That’s when it became personal.”

The group also shared the name of Bickford’s partner, who is an active Canadian Forces member, and revealed where she works.

Fed up, Bickford reported the online harassers to military police.

“There are a lot of good people in the military who have been harmed by this,” she said. “A lot of people are suffering from [post-traumatic stress disorder], this kind of stuff doesn’t help them. It certainly doesn’t help me.”

The Canadian Forces told CTV News the “Cpl Bloggins” Facebook group has been investigated in the past, and in January two members of the military were arrested for allegations of defamation and inappropriate comments.

The page appears to have been taken down, but another popped up under the same name on Jan 26.

Military police have launched another defamation probe into the new page, but the Canadian Forces said it cannot comment while the investigation is underway.

“The Canadian Armed Forces and the Canadian Forces Military Police take seriously all allegations of inappropriate conduct by Canadian Armed Forces personnel,” a spokesperson said in a statement.

“In all cases, investigations are conducted to determine the facts, analyze the evidence, and if warranted, lay appropriate charges.” ....
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Humphrey Bogart

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2014, 08:09:07 »
:salute:

Edit:  Checked the page, they (it and it's followers) are still making fun of the LBQTs and now added the MPs and CTV to their hate parade.  Still lots of soldiers posting hate and participating in bully other soldiers under their own names.

The cat is out of the bag, doesn't matter if this Bloggins gets arrested, another Bloggins will rise up to take his/her place.

I was just reading comments on the Bloggins page and this one stood out in my mind:

"The funny thing is Cpl bloggins is every Roudy member of the cf. So why do they think they can end it...." 

Now the guys spelling may suck but he does have a point.  I said it in an earlier post in the other Bloggins thread, this page is merely an extreme representation of "combat arms machismo" that exists and has always existed within the army.  Contrary to popular belief, the combat arms aren't filled with a bunch of nice, pleasant people that hand out teddy bears to kids.  Disagree with me all you want but I've been an assisting officer enough, seen enough summary trials and read enough police and court reports to know better.

The one tool that the military had to deal with this was discipline but it seems that discipline has taken back seat to "freedom of speech, human rights, etc..."

Discipline is a leadership problem and requires, dare I say it, leadership.

I remember a certain Australian General releasing a statement on Youtube about a similar incident which demonstrated tremendous leadership on his part....

Where has our leadership been hiding this whole time?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 08:27:04 by RoyalDrew »

Offline Lightguns

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I live for trout and deer
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2014, 08:31:37 »
"combat arms machismo" perhaps, complete loss of message control definitely.  Cpl Bloggins has now instructed it's followers to "light up" the CTV facebook page.  Pissing them off will lead to pissing DGPA off.  Watch and shoot for the biggest witch hunt in the history of Canadian military. 

Edit:  it will make interesting watching whether Bloggins commands enough "combat arms machismo" types to do any real damage to CTV facebook.
Done, 34 years, 43 days complete, got's me damn pension!

Offline Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2014, 09:19:03 »
Contrary to popular belief, the combat arms aren't filled with a bunch of nice, pleasant people that hand out teddy bears to kids.  Disagree with me all you want but I've been an assisting officer enough, seen enough summary trials and read enough police and court reports to know better.

Contrary to popular belief the combat arms aren't filled with knuckle dragging criminals either.  This turd is one of the bad apples.  The kind of guy that gets units disbanded for his actions when left unchecked or undealt with.  His type, makes the military as a whole look bad.  I know plenty of combat arms types that volunteer, are Big Brothers etc etc.  So maybe not teddy bears but close enough. 

Machismo is one thing, this is outright, overt hate and harrassment.  Excuse it any way you want, it isn't acceptable.  It goes beyond the combat arms attitude, dark humour and sometimes politically incorrect talk  that may be limited to unit lines and messes.  He's gone into the public domain and is taking it to places where that kind of stuff shouldn't be tolerated. 

I predict that this guy is on borrowed time anyway. 

And it seems that some of his more hateful stuff has been taken down or removed, so I guess the "visit" he had rattled him somewhat. 

With all the SHARP crap, ethics training and citizenship lessons in the CF, you would think that a soldier would get it. 

So forget that he's combat arms, infantry etc etc.  The only explanation is that he is an idiot.

Optio

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2014, 09:25:11 »
Pissing them off will lead to pissing DGPA off. 
   :panic:

-30-

Offline MCG

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post

Offline E.R. Campbell

• Retired, years ago
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2014, 09:47:28 »
Two loosely connected points:

An old chum, MGen (ret'd) Clive Addy (late of the RCAC), explained, some years ago, that we had a problem with what he called "macho thuggery." The CAF, he suggested, needs "tough guys" but the toughness needs to be both
     of a certain, cheerful type and well focused.

Some tie later I adapted one of my own thoughts (from the 1970s) into a notion that said we might want to consider the business of soldiering by describing the attributes of a soldier. The "good soldier," I suggested, was six things:
     four of them had to be in a certain order and the other two could be "bookends."

My six things that a good soldier must be are:

Well led;
          Tough;
          Superbly disciplined;
          Well trained;
          Adequately equipped
; and
     Properly organized.

The four attributes: tough, superbly disciplined, well trained and adequately equipped, I argued, needed to be in that specific order because toughness is an innate quality, we, the military, can hone and shape and focus it but we cannot teach it. But toughness, especially Clive Addy's "macho thuggery," is only useful to us when it is paired with discipline. I always used the term "superbly disciplined" because I remember it from a long lost magazine article about the change of command (control, actually) of the Canadian Army circa 1960; the article referred to "the small but superbly disciplined Canadian Army." I heard similar words again and again when I was under training in the UK and the US. Those countries may have thought that we could have done "more" in terms of numbers of soldiers, tanks, guns, etc but they were certain that we were the "best," the ne plus ultra in the quality business. And their definition of quality was, essentially: discipline. Training is, I hope, obvious, but the other qualitative attribute upon which foreign officers always  commented was the high standards to which we were trained. Another thing I saw, in my own service, was that good equipment helps, but the best equipment in the world is less than useful if it isn't in the hands of tough, superbly disciplined, well trained soldiers. Again and again I saw Canadians, and others, produce the desired results with only barely adequate equipment while others, with more and better kit, failed.

The other two attributes deserve a word each:

I have dealt with "properly organized" el;sewhere. There is no "right" answer but there are wrong ones and I believe we are less than adequately organized now.

"Well led" means, in my mind, that the leaders are tougher, even better disciplined and even better trained than their subordinates and they, the leaders are 'equipped' with the right administrative tools to help the soldiers do their very best.

My  :2c:

It is ill that men should kill one another in seditions, tumults and wars; but it is worse to bring nations to such misery, weakness and baseness
as to have neither strength nor courage to contend for anything; to have nothing left worth defending and to give the name of peace to desolation.
Algernon Sidney in Discourses Concerning Government, (1698)
----------
Like what you see/read here on Army.ca?  Subscribe, and help keep it "on the air!"

Offline ModlrMike

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2014, 10:51:49 »
All very good and valid points Edward and the ideal we should be working for. That being said, you can't prevent people making bad decisions; you can only give them the tools to make good ones.

This issue is not done with, and some folks are in for a rude awakening once their activities are made public.

Edit: spelling

Offline wx_watcher

• Rate Post
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2014, 11:29:28 »
I made this account just so I could reply to this post. I'm happy they're getting crap on. I went on their page once because a friend of mine had a picture of herself used (without her consent) on that page in an attempt to put women in the military down. She was a good sport about it, I was more upset then she was.
It was disgusting seeing some of the hateful comments serving members were posting, it was embarrassing.

Even if nothing comes of them being arrested at least it will send a message.

Online Strike

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Welcome to the Dead Parrot's Society.
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2014, 11:38:56 »

I was just reading comments on the Bloggins page and this one stood out in my mind:

"The funny thing is Cpl bloggins is every Roudy member of the cf. So why do they think they can end it...." 

Now the guys spelling may suck but he does have a point.  I said it in an earlier post in the other Bloggins thread, this page is merely an extreme representation of "combat arms machismo" that exists and has always existed within the army.  Contrary to popular belief, the combat arms aren't filled with a bunch of nice, pleasant people that hand out teddy bears to kids.  Disagree with me all you want but I've been an assisting officer enough, seen enough summary trials and read enough police and court reports to know better.

Here's the thing though.  The page that was put up on FB was an open page.  So, with that, how many of these people making the rude comments and posting some very insulting memes would show these to their mothers?

I try using that as a general rule of thumb (especially since my mom is on my friends list).  If I don't think my mom would want to see it or read it I won't post it, certainly not on an open site.  A closed group is a different beast altogether and, if these people wanted to beak off, then that's where it should have been done.
Stop assuming I'm a man!

Don't know how long I want to keep playing this game...

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2014, 11:39:44 »
Even if nothing comes of them being arrested at least it will send a message.
The last news report I'd read, they'd not yet been charged.  If there's no follow though, the message will be "all bark but no bite -- have at 'er boys."