Author Topic: Armed Forces Consider incentives to keep soldiers fit  (Read 118505 times)

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
Re: Armed Forces Consider incentives to keep soldiers fit
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2014, 21:06:26 »
And that will probably be the first thing dropped form IBTS from some Reserve Units....

Army commander direction for the Reserves on the "Load Bearing March" (LBM) is that it is not required, but recommended (more or less).  It's also not required for the Army HQ and other, non-deployable HQs (such as Div and CADTC).
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline MCG

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2014, 23:06:02 »
Before we go too far down the path of creating yet another thread on why higher minimum standards are required, let's look at the CAF's goal here.  How do we motivate people to go beyond the minimum level of fitness (whatever it may happen to be)?

Education probably has a role.  Are our mess halls providing enough healthy options in comparison to the fatty or sugary options?  Do the IMPs need a Maple desert guaranteed to give instant diabetes?

What more should the CAF do?

Offline quadrapiper

• Rate Post
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2014, 23:49:51 »
Before we go too far down the path of creating yet another thread on why higher minimum standards are required, let's look at the CAF's goal here.  How do we motivate people to go beyond the minimum level of fitness (whatever it may happen to be)?

Education probably has a role.  Are our mess halls providing enough healthy options in comparison to the fatty or sugary options?  Do the IMPs need a Maple desert guaranteed to give instant diabetes?

What more should the CAF do?
Shutting down the deep fat fryer in the messes would be a start: using Nelles as an example, there's plenty of healthy and healthier options available, but you still get chicken strips, fries, and so on served.

As far as the IMPs - are those supposed to be consumed only by personnel doing high-intensity tasks, or would it make sense to reduce the calorie count in the "default" pack and develop a "high intensity" supplementary issue?

As far as motivation, I think more stick is called for: the individual that's always been motivated to ensure they're fit for task will continue to hit the gym, run, and so on regardless of carrots (though giving something at the unit level can't hurt); the slug might shift themselves if there's a real, short-term potential for being released, demoted, fined, or required to conduct onerous remedial training.

Offline MCG

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2014, 00:02:46 »
"The stick" exists for those below the minimum standard, and I do not see any sort of rough encouragement coming for those who meet or exceed the standard.  Is fear the only sort of motivation we know to use?

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2014, 18:34:26 »
Your own death or worse, the death of someone else because you are a fat knacker: that should be pretty good incentive:

“In the Army, fitness is not just a fad, it is life or death. An unfit, overweight soldier could hinder his comrades out on the ground and risk their lives.”

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/one-five-soldiers-royal-regiment-3152676
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline eliminator

• Rate Post
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2016, 19:43:15 »
Finally?

https://dfit-fgc.kinductdev.com/forceprofile

Word on the street is that Merit points/rewards are expected to be as follows (starting 1 Apr 2017):
a. Bronze (50th percentile): 1 merit
b. Silver (84th percentile): 2 merits & T-shirt
c. Gold (98th percentile): 2 merits & Gym Bag
d. Platinum (top 0.1 % of your age group): 2 merits & uniform Pin
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 20:00:49 by eliminator »

Online PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2016, 00:12:15 »
Oh goodie a T-shirt.

Online MJP

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2016, 00:26:15 »
Oh goodie a T-shirt.

If actually comes with points at the merit boards then the t-shirt is worth it.
Hope is not a valid COA

Offline TCBF

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2016, 00:49:43 »
- Each occupation has its own medical category. Give each trade its own physical category. Failure to meet specs? No trade advancement. No leadership courses. NO WSE or acting rank. No component transfer.

-Why? Because you can be medically fit, but physically unfit, and vice versa.

- This would be a pers issue, not a med issue. No waivers.
"Disarming the Canadian public is part of the new humanitarian social agenda."   - Foreign Affairs Minister Lloyd Axeworthy at a Gun Control conference in Oslo, Norway in 1998.

"I didn’t feel that it was an act of violence; you know, I felt that it was an act of liberation, that’s how I felt you know." - Ann Hansen, Canadian 'Urban Guerrilla'(one of the "Squamish Five")

Offline Pieman

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2016, 02:50:25 »
Money talks. Decent yearly bonus pay for people maintaining consistent strong physical performance.
Graffiti in regimental toilet stalls: The official guide to troop moral....apparently.

“Perfectly symmetrical violence never solved anything.” - Professor Farnsworth

Offline Halifax Tar

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ready Aye Ready
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2016, 03:36:40 »
So can you pass all the stations but fail on waist size ? 
Lead me, follow me or get the hell out of my way

Offline CombatMacgyver

• Rate Post
  • Escaped from Valcatraz
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2016, 08:34:00 »
d. Platinum (top 0.1 % of your age group): 2 merits & uniform Pin

Really?  For being in the top tenth of a percent you still only get 2 merits?

Offline Oldgateboatdriver

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2016, 08:58:20 »
And a Uniform Pin: You forgot the Uniform Pin.  [:)

Personally, I think I would work hard at staying at the gold level: A gym bag is a damn sight more useful than a pin.  :nod:

Offline MCG

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2016, 09:05:17 »
So can you pass all the stations but fail on waist size ? 
Yes.  That is the orange zone on the chart.

Offline Halifax Tar

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ready Aye Ready
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2016, 09:23:31 »
Yes.  That is the orange zone on the chart.

Interesting.  I know this possibility is making some of my fellow sailors panic a little bit...
Lead me, follow me or get the hell out of my way

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2016, 10:13:56 »
Interesting.  I know this possibility is making some of my fellow sailors panic a little bit...

Really? Then I guess it's working :)
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Online Harris

Is back at the grind.

• Directing Staff
  • Rate Post
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2016, 10:20:58 »
Glad it's a Reg force thing.   [:D  Merit points mean nothing to a reservist.  The bag would be nice though.
Cheers

Todd
Army.ca

"...persons escaping a lethal dose of radiation may well be rendered seriously ill and or be more prone to various forms of cancer in later years. Hence, their morale and performance may be expected to slump."
Crap, I think I got a lethal dose!!!

Offline SeaKingTacco

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Door Gunnery- The Sport of Kings!
« Reply #42 on: March 31, 2016, 11:12:25 »
Glad it's a Reg force thing.   [:D  Merit points mean nothing to a reservist.  The bag would be nice though.

Both Air and Naval Reservists are scored both locally and nationally with merit points counting towards promotion.

Offline Sheep Dog AT

• The Fly in Someone's Ointment - Giggity
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #43 on: March 31, 2016, 14:06:36 »
So if the guy with a larger waste fails him for that portion but would have scored Gold because despite his size he killed the test will get no points while the guy with a passable waste gets points but only got bronze is a thing?
Apparently infamous for his one liners.
Oh Giggity Well...........Giggity

Offline MCG

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #44 on: March 31, 2016, 14:12:05 »
That is how the chart works.
However, I have heard that the system will be trialed for a year with only the material rewards before a decision is made on promotion board points.

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #45 on: March 31, 2016, 14:34:35 »
There is a new CANFORGEN out soon (if not now) with some details.  As of 01 Apr 2016, PSP will supervise all tests for the Reg F; they take on the Res F as well as of 01 Apr 2017.
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline ArmyVern

is awake.

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #46 on: March 31, 2016, 14:40:26 »
Money talks. Decent yearly bonus pay for people maintaining consistent strong physical performance.

Can't see that flying too far as it distinctly disadvantages the technical trades where pers may be fit and surpass the minimum, but will never be at the higher levels of those for whom the gym is a second home during duty hours.  We get our 5 days a week there, but that's at an hour maximum.  Many trades spend many more working hours at the gym than that. If we did same, you'd have nothing to do your jobs with.

Monetary incentives are always good ... as long as you can find the guy who's going to come in and do our tech jobs getting the kit procured, getting the bills paid, keeping the lights on, ordering and dealing with your ammo requirements etc etc while we hit the gym at the same frequency too.
Hard by MCpl Elton Adams

If you or someone you love is having difficulty & would like to speak to someone who has been through a similar experience, who understands, & will respect your need for privacy and confidentiality, contact OSISS toll-free at 1-800-883-6094. You can locate the peer closest to you by logging on to www.osiss.ca, clicking on “Contact us” link & then choosing the “Peer” or “Family Support Network”. Help IS out there.

Online MJP

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #47 on: March 31, 2016, 14:50:52 »
There is a new CANFORGEN out soon (if not now) with some details.  As of 01 Apr 2016, PSP will supervise all tests for the Reg F; they take on the Res F as well as of 01 Apr 2017.

Well frig.  It was nice for a while to not be beholden to their level of uselessness.
Hope is not a valid COA

Online PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #48 on: March 31, 2016, 14:55:42 »
Well frig.  It was nice for a while to not be beholden to their level of uselessness.
They were losing a grip on the empire, had to firm it back up.

I had a friend (who is a BFTA) told he wasn't allowed to show another military member how to lift weights safely, and work together on a fitness program because it was considered "personal training", and only PSP could do that.

Offline CombatMacgyver

• Rate Post
  • Escaped from Valcatraz
« Reply #49 on: March 31, 2016, 15:08:24 »
Can't see that flying too far as it distinctly disadvantages the technical trades where pers may be fit and surpass the minimum, but will never be at the higher levels of those for whom the gym is a second home during duty hours.  We get our 5 days a week there, but that's at an hour maximum.  Many trades spend many more working hours at the gym than that. If we did same, you'd have nothing to do your jobs with.

Monetary incentives are always good ... as long as you can find the guy who's going to come in and do our tech jobs getting the kit procured, getting the bills paid, keeping the lights on, ordering and dealing with your ammo requirements etc etc while we hit the gym at the same frequency too.

THIS!  I loved STARTING my daily workout at 16:15 whilst all the gunners had FINISHED around 13:00 and were long gone.  Their days were (and are) significantly shorter than mine.