Author Topic: Armed Forces Consider incentives to keep soldiers fit  (Read 126402 times)

Offline CountDC

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Armed Forces Consider incentives to keep soldiers fit
« Reply #275 on: May 06, 2016, 16:14:13 »
Actually, back to a swim test would not be such a bad idea for the Navy:

If you had to do, every year or second year, the old "basic" test of jumping in the pool in coveralls, thread water for 10 minutes then swim to the end of the pool and back (about 40 meters) and hoist yourself - all by yourself - in the life-raft, I am willing to bet you would see a lot more sailors going out to exercise a lot more.

You may shoot first, Lumber.  :knights:

10 minutes?  Damn, frozen popsicle by then.    Best just to stay on the ship rather than waste all that energy for nothing.  I heard fat floats better than muscle but don't quote me on that - thinking that may be a bos'ns excuse.
"When the power of love, overcomes the love of power....the world will know peace" - Jimi Hendrix [1942-1970]

Offline SupersonicMax

is back home.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #276 on: May 16, 2016, 19:16:14 »
10 minutes?  Damn, frozen popsicle by then.    Best just to stay on the ship rather than waste all that energy for nothing.  I heard fat floats better than muscle but don't quote me on that - thinking that may be a bos'ns excuse.

I had to do the US Navy Swim Phys (which, amongst other things like the helo dunker) consists of swimming 100m in full flight gear with the lofe preserver deflated (flying suit, flight boots, g-pants, harness, life preserver, helmet, gloves), thread water for 10 minutes and inflate the life preserver orally (ie: no CO2 cartridge).

It was probably the most difficult physical test I have taken and probably the most relevant to what I do.

Online PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #277 on: May 16, 2016, 20:32:54 »
I had to do the US Navy Swim Phys (which, amongst other things like the helo dunker) consists of swimming 100m in full flight gear with the lofe preserver deflated (flying suit, flight boots, g-pants, harness, life preserver, helmet, gloves), thread water for 10 minutes and inflate the life preserver orally (ie: no CO2 cartridge).

It was probably the most difficult physical test I have taken and probably the most relevant to what I do.

25m into that swim I would have drowned. That's why I joined the Army. I have the buoyancy of a rock holding a lead chain.

Offline Oldgateboatdriver

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #278 on: May 16, 2016, 21:06:31 »
25m into that swim I would have drowned. That's why I joined the Army. I have the buoyancy of a rock holding a lead chain.

We can always use one more anchor  ;D

Online PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #279 on: May 16, 2016, 21:42:03 »
We can always use one more anchor  ;D

I guess we all have a role to play in the defense of Canada.   8)

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #280 on: May 17, 2016, 19:51:57 »
I guess we all have a role to play in the defense of Canada.   8)

I destroy box lunches!!
I feel the need...the NEED to FEED! - Prop Gun

Offline CountDC

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #281 on: May 18, 2016, 16:30:53 »

Any chance that was in the North Atlantic in Jan?   We were given an estimate of 10 minutes before freezing on the Sea Env course when I did it back in 2000.  I know when we did the flood training even in the summer it was freezing. Maybe global warning has extended it by a few minutes.   ;D
"When the power of love, overcomes the love of power....the world will know peace" - Jimi Hendrix [1942-1970]