Author Topic: Cross dominant aiming  (Read 6105 times)

Offline lnels

• Rate Post
Cross dominant aiming
« on: November 02, 2014, 21:04:58 »
My dominant eye is my left eye, I can close my right while keeping my left open but cant vice versa. I'm also right handed, will this be a problem?

Offline NavyShooter

Boaty McBoatface!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Death from a Bar.....one shot, one Tequilla
Re: Cross dominant aiming
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 21:15:40 »
I've had to deal with a number of cross dominant shooters. 

Firing pistol, not a big deal.

Firing rifle, potentially a problem.  Especially if you try leaning over to use your dominant eye with your opposite side.

Pistol shooting, fire with both eyes open, and things will work well.

Rifle shooting, well, something I've seen done is to place a piece of 'magic' or 'scotch' tape over the dominant eye, forcing you to use the non-dominant eye when using the rifle.

I recommend you identify this to your training staff when the time comes, and they will help with this.

NS
Insert disclaimer statement here....

:panzer:

Offline cryco

Just looking.

• Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2014, 21:30:20 »
If you practice at a range with the rifle, use masking tape (painter's tape) on your shooting glasses. It comes off easily, unlike some other really sticky tapes.  I place a strip on the left lens, and it helps. I have no dominant eye unfortunately. If i had, I start shooting with the same side.

Offline Greymatters

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2014, 22:17:26 »
When you say cross-dominant, isn't it more likely that you are a naturally left-handed but was raised right-handed?  (That's what I am)

Offline Flatliner

• Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 00:28:23 »
When you say cross-dominant, isn't it more likely that you are a naturally left-handed but was raised right-handed?  (That's what I am)

I'm right handed in everything except shooting pool and shooting firearms. No idea why.

Offline Greymatters

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2014, 03:52:53 »
My firearms instructor when I went through basic explained it to me and it turned out to be true; I grew up playing sports right-handed, but turned out I was a natural lefty.  I found I shot better with my left, but ended becoming ambidextrous in shooting after a couple years in.

Offline GAP

• Semper Fi
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2014, 07:13:27 »
I injured my right eye as a chilld so learned to shoot cross dominate....the Marine Corps decided that I would learn to shoot left handed.....and.....sob......I did...

It's almost the only thing I do left handed.....
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I´m not so sure about the universe

Online PMedMoe

is retired and loving it!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2014, 12:57:40 »
I am left eye dominant and right handed and I'm sure I am not a natural lefty.  I shoot right handed.

I'm good with the C-7, but can't shoot the broad side of a barn with the 9mm.   :-\
"A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving".
~ Lao Tzu~

Offline sidemount

• Rate Post
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2014, 16:10:56 »
I am left eye dominant and right handed and I'm sure I am not a natural lefty.  I shoot right handed.

I'm good with the C-7, but can't shoot the broad side of a barn with the 9mm.   :-\

thats ok, if its the browning, it might be more useful to throw it at the enemy anyway  :threat: ;D
Leadership is solving problems. The day soldiers stop bringing you their problems is the day you have stopped leading them. They have either lost confidence that you can help or concluded you do not care. Either case is a failure of leadership. - Colin Powell

Offline Greymatters

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2014, 18:57:49 »
We're STILL using those?

Offline Robert0288

• Rate Post
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2014, 22:43:52 »
thats ok, if its the browning, it might be more useful to throw it at the enemy anyway  :threat: ;D

Still better than the simunition pistols I've used.