Author Topic: List of Course for IST  (Read 7836 times)

Offline woody91

• Rate Post
List of Course for IST
« on: September 16, 2015, 08:41:08 »
Good morning all,

I have been looking for a list of course to further my Knowledge on computers and cannot find anything anywhere. I am doing my A+ certification right now and wanted to see if the military provides course more intellectually demanding.

Thank you in advance

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
Re: List of Course for IST
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 16:14:16 »
Have you looked into Network+ or CCNA? What the CAF is going to offer isn't necessarily going to be cutting edge, they're going to qualify you to do the job you need to do.

If you really want to go overboard, get an ILP and work towards a BA in Computer Science/Engineering if you can find the courses offered online.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2015, 21:42:15 »
http://scis.athabascau.ca/prospective/undergraduate/bsccis/

One I was considering back in my 226 days.

If you're gonna fight, fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.

And brother, it's startin' to rain...

Offline IT_Dude_Joeschmo

• Rate Post
  • Getting 1's and 0's to flow...
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2015, 13:10:54 »
Good morning all,

I have been looking for a list of course to further my Knowledge on computers and cannot find anything anywhere. I am doing my A+ certification right now and wanted to see if the military provides course more intellectually demanding.

Thank you in advance

The military provides a ton of far more challenging and interesting training than the basic, A+. A+ is a very entry level IT certification for beginners will little to no experience. It's the basics. To become a fully qualified ACISS-IST you'll go through A LOT more training than that. Never mind the courses the army may pay for you to go on in civilian world, but the ones at the Canadian Forces School of Communications and Electronics (CFSCE). Particularly the IST 1.1 and 2.1 courses.

Those are both in depth in regards to IT but cover different topics. PM me if you'd like more details.
"When I retire, I want to become a gay Hollywood actor, they always make more money!"... My old boss's plans ;)

ACISS-IST's, look here:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/239432422884449

PS> It's not a trap!

Offline Neso

• Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2015, 18:01:57 »
Net+ is pretty basic, if you're interested in networking I'd strongly recommend picking up the CCNA books authored by Wendell Odom, you can get both books as a package.

I'd recommend installing Packet Tracer as well to practice.

Also, CBT Nuggets has an exceptional video series for CCNA. Their subscriptions aren't cheap, and I don't condone piracy...

If servers are more interesting to you than networking you should study for MCSA, which they have an exceptional video series for as well.

While you're at it, install Linux and start tinkering. I recommend CentOS.

Offline woody91

• Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2015, 15:03:59 »
What i get from all this is that there is no other courses other then 1.1 and 2.1 that the forces give. It either bachelor or learn on your own...

Offline 211RadOp

• Rate Post
  • Now is the tyme....damn missed again....Now is the
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2015, 15:26:42 »
There are more.

Classified Domain Sys Admin
Data Communication Sys Maint
Mail Exchange Server Admin
“I thought I couldn't afford to take her out and smoke as well. So I gave up cigarettes. Then I took her out and one day I looked at her and thought: "Oh well," and I went back to smoking again, and that was better.” - Benny Hill
"Politics: “Poli” a Latin word meaning “many”; and "tics" meaning “bloodsucking creatures” - Robin Williams
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye.” - Miss Piggy

Offline IT_Dude_Joeschmo

• Rate Post
  • Getting 1's and 0's to flow...
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2015, 16:57:06 »
What i get from all this is that there is no other courses other then 1.1 and 2.1 that the forces give. It either bachelor or learn on your own...

You're clearly not very inclined to reading detail. I did say those are courses you get, ON TOP of courses the military pays from from civilian world. There's lots of them. A whole lot. In any case, an A+ certification, like a Bachelor, is the tip of the iceberg in IT. Literally.
"When I retire, I want to become a gay Hollywood actor, they always make more money!"... My old boss's plans ;)

ACISS-IST's, look here:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/239432422884449

PS> It's not a trap!

Offline woody91

• Rate Post
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2015, 09:29:58 »
You're clearly not very inclined to reading detail. I did say those are courses you get, ON TOP of courses the military pays from from civilian world. There's lots of them. A whole lot. In any case, an A+ certification, like a Bachelor, is the tip of the iceberg in IT. Literally.

Sorry. I might of lost that in the translation. I just want to learn more to be able to do more. So far I'm pretty much only a secretary for SSC... and that is just a waste of my time. I need to be able to do someting other then that.
There are more.

Classified Domain Sys Admin
Data Communication Sys Maint
Mail Exchange Server Admin

Thanks but is there a database of the course or list or something i can base myself off.

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2015, 16:01:17 »
CFSCE has a course catalog on their DWAN site. Its now ACIMS, but cfsce.kingston.mil.ca will get you redirected to the new site, should be a link off the main page.

Offline woody91

• Rate Post
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2015, 09:58:49 »
CFSCE has a course catalog on their DWAN site. Its now ACIMS, but cfsce.kingston.mil.ca will get you redirected to the new site, should be a link off the main page.

Thank you

Offline 211RadOp

• Rate Post
  • Now is the tyme....damn missed again....Now is the
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2015, 11:19:44 »
“I thought I couldn't afford to take her out and smoke as well. So I gave up cigarettes. Then I took her out and one day I looked at her and thought: "Oh well," and I went back to smoking again, and that was better.” - Benny Hill
"Politics: “Poli” a Latin word meaning “many”; and "tics" meaning “bloodsucking creatures” - Robin Williams
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye.” - Miss Piggy

Offline woody91

• Rate Post
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2015, 07:00:36 »
thank you everyone.

Offline signalsguy

• Rate Post
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2015, 10:44:45 »
The DP1.1 ISS course is basically CCNA Routing and Switching with some modifications, additions and deletions.

The DP2.1 IST course covers servers and advanced networking.

The DP3b.1 covers design and systems management.

Overall the training is quite good and maps roughly to Cisco's certification path without getting people certified but of course nothing is static and the courses are changing all the time to keep up with industry trends while maintaining relevance the CAF and Army requirements.