Author Topic: Harry DeWolfe Posting?  (Read 16707 times)

Offline misratah500

• Rate Post
Harry DeWolfe Posting?
« on: November 16, 2015, 18:59:46 »
Is this boat going to belong to the West Coast fleet, I heard they've already stood up a command team out here in MARPAC? Anyone have any interesting info on the systems or timeline on this vessel? Wouldn't mind trying for a posting on her if she comes out here.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 11:01:03 by George Wallace »

Offline Half Full

• Rate Post
Re: Henry DeWolfe Posting?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 12:33:43 »
The plan is to have 4 based in Halifax and 2 in Esquimalt...but that could change!  A lot is dependant on a jetty recapitalization project of A and B jettys in Esquimalt.  If that doesn't go through then odds are they will stay East. 

Attached is the AOPS fact sheet.

I would rather be in a boat with a drink on the rocks than in the drink with a boat on the rocks.

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 16:23:43 »
I suspect the project is safe, mostly through the permitting stage, no major FN issues, a real identifiable need, it's navy and it means jobs and it's infrastructure, so it hits all the new government bells.

jollyjacktar

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 17:03:44 »
I sat through a briefing on them this afternoon.  They will have the crew requirements decided by April 2016.  After this takes place, the various career shops will start to get things rolling for the postings needed.  The first two crews will do all of their training out of Halifax regardless of if they'll be west coast or not.

Things are still on track for the ships, jettys and refueling depot.  At the moment...

Offline Oldgateboatdriver

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: It's Harry, not Henry DeWolfe
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 19:22:30 »
Yeah Yeah. Fine, But get the damn name straight its HMCS HARRY DEWOLFE.

Haven't a clue who Henri DeWolf was  :dunno:  His older brother ???

Offline misratah500

• Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2015, 00:33:32 »
I imagine with a crew of only a few dozen people that we're all going to be in cabins of some sort. That would be nice. I wonder what kinda combat systems for it we're going to get. So far an IFF system and the 25mm gun. I wish the gun was bigger. The rumor is the CSC vessels will finally have us back in the 5" size of guns for naval gunfire support

Offline Thumper81

• Rate Post
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2015, 01:08:56 »
Is it just me, or do the names of the ships sound too American?  What would've been wrong with just calling it the DeWolfe-class (i.e. HMCS DeWolfe, HMCS Bernays, etc.)?   

Offline Pusser

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2015, 06:56:26 »
Is it just me, or do the names of the ships sound too American?  What would've been wrong with just calling it the DeWolfe-class (i.e. HMCS DeWolfe, HMCS Bernays, etc.)?

Agreed!
Sure, apes read Nietzsche.  They just don't understand it.

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2015, 10:28:38 »
be glad it's not a flower class: HMCS Pansy  ;D

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2015, 10:52:03 »
MODs: Can someone change the thread title permanently before it drives me round the bend?

It's HARRY,  not Henry !!!!!!! AAAAAAARGH!!!!!

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
Re: Harry DeWolfe Posting?
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2015, 10:57:11 »
MODs: Can someone change the thread title permanently before it drives me round the bend?

It's HARRY,  not Henry !!!!!!! AAAAAAARGH!!!!!

You're sounding rather harried...
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2015, 11:01:28 »
True, man!

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2015, 11:01:43 »
You're sounding rather harried...

Harry, it is.   ;D
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline Pusser

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2015, 18:00:20 »

There actually was going to be an HMS PANSY, but it was changed to HEARTSEASE before commissioning.

None of the Canadian Flower class corvettes were named after flowers.  The RN used them all up, so we had to use towns and cities.
Sure, apes read Nietzsche.  They just don't understand it.

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2015, 20:57:21 »

Imagine if that CO had to go visit a USN ship.  From what I remember, the USN refers to the CO as the ship's name, so when a CO goes onboard/leaves, there is something to the effect of "Pansy, arriving" and "Pansy, departing". 

>:D
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

Offline Eaglelord17

• Rate Post
Re: It's Harry, not Henry DeWolfe
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2015, 23:44:21 »
Yeah Yeah. Fine, But get the damn name straight its HMCS HARRY DEWOLFE.

Haven't a clue who Henri DeWolf was  :dunno:  His older brother ???

Is it really HMCS at this point, because if it isn't a commissioned ship yet can it take that title yet?

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2015, 07:52:55 »
OK, so the HMCS part will come in later.

But it's still Harry! Harry! Harry!

I still don't know who Henry was  :brickwall:

Offline misratah500

• Rate Post
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2015, 12:30:35 »
My fleet chief just sent out a document to the fleet PO1's and up trying to stir up interest for those that want to volunteer to be on the first few crews I suppose. The document was called Concept of Operations for HDW class ships and it's available on the DIN.

It's a fascinating document over 60 pages in length detailing crewing requirements for command staff, equipment to be fitted on board, operations in detail of what it is envisioned to do and the cycle of ships for operation. They envision 4 on East and 2 on West coast and the east coast ones would operate for 120 days and the west coast ones would operate for 80 up North since it's harder to access the north on the west coast.

This would usually happen from early/mid summer till mid fall depending because of ice conditions. They also envision these ships being better platforms for OP Caribbe than the MCDV's because of the on board USGC LEDET teams and the facilities they have on-board for boarding teams and communications equipment.

They envision the ships operating on a 1/4 rotation because of the small crew with only doing 1/2 operations for short periods of time.

Hell the document even has the ships layout deck by deck. It's pretty cool to see how it is laid out and what not. I think this will be a fine vessel.

It's an unclass document only available on the DIN so if anyone wants me to link it to them after xmas leave you can send me a pm with your forces address and I"ll email you the link.

The only thing missing is the conceptual watch and station bill. I was curious as to see what the core crew make up would be from top to bottom.

Offline Chief Stoker

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2015, 12:48:53 »
My fleet chief just sent out a document to the fleet PO1's and up trying to stir up interest for those that want to volunteer to be on the first few crews I suppose. The document was called Concept of Operations for HDW class ships and it's available on the DIN.

It's a fascinating document over 60 pages in length detailing crewing requirements for command staff, equipment to be fitted on board, operations in detail of what it is envisioned to do and the cycle of ships for operation. They envision 4 on East and 2 on West coast and the east coast ones would operate for 120 days and the west coast ones would operate for 80 up North since it's harder to access the north on the west coast.

This would usually happen from early/mid summer till mid fall depending because of ice conditions. They also envision these ships being better platforms for OP Caribbe than the MCDV's because of the on board USGC LEDET teams and the facilities they have on-board for boarding teams and communications equipment.

They envision the ships operating on a 1/4 rotation because of the small crew with only doing 1/2 operations for short periods of time.

Hell the document even has the ships layout deck by deck. It's pretty cool to see how it is laid out and what not. I think this will be a fine vessel.

It's an unclass document only available on the DIN so if anyone wants me to link it to them after xmas leave you can send me a pm with your forces address and I"ll email you the link.

The only thing missing is the conceptual watch and station bill. I was curious as to see what the core crew make up would be from top to bottom.

True, they are a more capable platform obviously for OP Caribbe and the Arctic. It also mentions in the Kingston Class concept of operations that the MCDV's will still be used for those missions.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 13:02:26 by Chief Stoker »
"When your draught exceeds your depth, you are most assuredly aground"

All opinions stated are not official policy of the CF and of a private individual

كافر

Offline Mike5

• Rate Post
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2015, 13:25:14 »
Is it just me or does 'HMCS DeWolfe" sound better then 'HMCS Harry DeWolfe'?
Velox Versutus Vigilans

jollyjacktar

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2015, 17:13:17 »
I'm fine with their names as intended.

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2015, 21:00:18 »
Is it just me or does 'HMCS DeWolfe" sound better then 'HMCS Harry DeWolfe'?

Nah!!! If you had a HMCS The Wolfe, you would soon have to have a HMCS The Montcalm.  :christmas happy:

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2015, 21:45:08 »
Nah!!! If you had a HMCS The Wolfe, you would soon have to have a HMCS The Montcalm.  :christmas happy:

But you "Hairy Sacks" would still have the HMCS Hairy DeWolfe.   [;)
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline Pat in Halifax

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
  • Jackwagon
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2015, 11:51:57 »
I suspect, like our USN counterparts, we will ‘naturally’ shorten the names informally (Vinson, Ford, Churchill, …). I wonder what CCG does for this (anyone out there want to chime in?)
On another note, there were 10 Canadian Flower class corvettes named for ‘flowers’. These were to be RN vessels but were handed back to the RCN due to a lack of RN crews in 1940. They were HMC Ships Hepatica, Bittersweet, Spikenard, Fennel, Trillium, Snowberry, Arrowhead, Bittersweet, Eyebright and Mayflower
"No ******* ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making some other dumb ******* die for his"
George S. Patton

Offline Halifax Tar

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ready Aye Ready
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2015, 12:05:43 »

Any way to see that DOC not on the DIN/DWAN ?  I am on leave ATM and I would to read it over.  Would love to be part of the commissioning crews!
Lead me, follow me or get the hell out of my way