Author Topic: Wearing of non recognized medals in EMS  (Read 4785 times)

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
Re: Wearing of non recognized medals in EMS
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2018, 22:24:49 »
Calgary Police is probably one of the best examples in that they will stack their own long service medal with the federal one, for instance.

Somebody was blogging about it,

Calgary Police: "Crazy About Imaginary Medals"
http://wearingyourmedalswrong.blogspot.ca/2016/05/calgary-crazy-about-imaginary-medals.html

Offline JesseWZ

• Mentor
  • Rate Post
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2018, 00:04:29 »
Somebody was blogging about it,

Calgary Police: "Crazy About Imaginary Medals"
http://wearingyourmedalswrong.blogspot.ca/2016/05/calgary-crazy-about-imaginary-medals.html

(Unpopular Opinion I think?)

I ... kinda understand being a wee bit irritable about current and former GG's wearing decorations out of order or incorrectly... - as it is their sovereigns honours and awards system in the first place... but to sh!t all over some random municipal or provincial employees about the medals system they have found themselves in seems like a huge waste of energy.

To those folks, the medals aren't imaginary. They've earned their long service medals the same as if you got your 35 year watch at Safeway or Hudsons Bay Co. They represent a career of unique experiences, some dangerous, and full of service to community. Sure, they haven't been blessed by a sovereign, but I'm pretty neither have cadet medals and we cheerfully allow our youth to wear them without much squawking.

Hell, I could invent the Long and Illustrious Service to the JesseWZ Family Order of Medallion Wearing Fanatics Medal and as long as I don't breach CAF orders and policy, could happily wear it on my civilian clothing.

(LAISTTJFOMWFM for short - and comes with the aforementioned post nominal)

At the end of the day, the only people who really care about our honours system seem to be the ones within it and even then we have lots of folks complaining about receiving medals they will elect not to wear (the Diamond Jubilee for example) as if it is optional.

Edited to add: The above quoted blog seems to be indicative of a cultural attitude within the military and retired veteran communities that I can't quite put my finger on. It seems to circle around "the things we feel are important - are important - period." not realizing the only reason something has value in our community is because we have given it such. It's like yelling at a civilian walking on the grass on a base... he has no reason not to walk on the grass, no appreciation for why military members may choose to avoid doing so and exists outside that regulatory system entirely.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 00:15:19 by JesseWZ »
I will be seen and not heard... I will be seen and not heard... I will be seen and not heard...

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2018, 00:11:11 »
(Unpopular Opinion I think?)

I ... kinda understand being a wee bit irritable about current and former GG's wearing decorations out of order or incorrectly... - as it is their sovereigns honours and awards system in the first place... but to sh!t all over some random municipal or provincial employees about the medals system they have found themselves in seems like a huge waste of energy.

To those folks, the medals aren't imaginary. They've earned their long service medals the same as if you got your 35 year watch at Safeway or Hudsons Bay Co. They represent a career of unique experiences, some dangerous, and full of service to community. Sure, they haven't been blessed by a sovereign, but I'm pretty neither have cadet medals and we cheerfully allow our youth to wear them without much squawking.

Hell, I could invent the Long and Illustrious Service to the JesseWZ Family Order of Medallion Wearing Fanatics Medal and as long as I don't breach CAF orders and policy, could happily wear it on my civilian clothing.

(LAISTTJFOMWFM for short - and comes with the aforementioned post nominal)

At the end of the day, the only people who really care about our honours system seem to be the ones within it and even then we have lots of folks complaining about receiving medals they will elect not to wear (the Diamond Jubilee for example) as if it is optional.

I sat across the table from a guy at a Mess Dinner, he was an Honorary from another unit, who had several 'Idi Amin' type decorations, including one work around his neck on a ribbon.

He apparently had them made for himself, based on his personal designs.

How he was allowed to do this, I have no idea, but it was clearly a slap in the face of CAF as a whole.
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline RomeoJuliet

• Donor
  • Rate Post
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2018, 10:09:52 »
I must admit I have never understood the awarding of CD to CIC officers.  Training is not same as reg force and PRes folks nor or they to put themselves in harms way...

Offline Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2018, 10:23:01 »
I must admit I have never understood the awarding of CD to CIC officers.  Training is not same as reg force and PRes folks nor or they to put themselves in harms way...

Well I guess a CD is a recognition of service.  CIC are considered part of the reserves as one of the sub classes of reservists. Putting yourself in harms away and training similarities are not  a condition for eligibility for the CD. 
Optio

Offline RomeoJuliet

• Donor
  • Rate Post
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2018, 11:53:56 »
Well I guess a CD is a recognition of service.  CIC are considered part of the reserves as one of the sub classes of reservists. Putting yourself in harms away and training similarities are not  a condition for eligibility for the CD.

Agree, but when one joins the CF there is an understanding that one may , one day, be in harms way but I get your point.

Offline JesseWZ

• Mentor
  • Rate Post
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2018, 13:14:10 »
Agree, but when one joins the CF there is an understanding that one may , one day, be in harms way but I get your point.

You've never been stuck alone in an enclosed facility where 1000's of teenagers with gallons of fresh hormones pumping through their blood are similarly stuck...  ;)
I will be seen and not heard... I will be seen and not heard... I will be seen and not heard...

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2018, 14:58:26 »
You've never been stuck alone in an enclosed facility where 1000's of teenagers with gallons of fresh hormones pumping through their blood are similarly stuck...  ;)

Kind of like 'Lord of the Flies meets Grease' right? ;)
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline RomeoJuliet

• Donor
  • Rate Post
« Reply #33 on: November 19, 2018, 15:32:21 »

Oh if you only knew what my full time job is...Totally a SME regarding teenagers.

Offline Blackwatch09

• Rate Post
« Reply #34 on: November 19, 2018, 21:32:40 »
I was going through that guy's blog (yourewearingyourmedalswrong.com or whatever) and man is he fired up over stupid crap lol
He was bashing Alberta as the "wild west of medals", I was happy that someone beat me to posting a comment containing the link for the dress standards that states that they're wearing them appropriately.
Not to be disrespectful, but I find it funny how it's generally seen in the Military community that those popcorn medals for "showing up to do your job" are the same as a lot of CF medals that are given for those who....show up and do your job lol

Most of the literature on this matter is clear as mud at best. From what I gather, the Emergency Services Medal awarded from the Province is presented by the Governor General herself (doesn't get much better than that aside from the Queen) and is placed on the left (the far left of any other Federal medals). The Cadet medal is considered an "Unofficial" medal and goes on the right chest but CAN be included with other Canadian Honours if/where applicable or accepted.

I likely won't wear it on my day to day, but I may put it on my Honor Guard uniform for Remembrance Day as a sign of respect for what little Military experience I do have.

Thank you again for all of your advice guys!

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2018, 21:42:11 »
From what I gather, the Emergency Services Medal awarded from the Province is presented by the Governor General herself (doesn't get much better than that aside from the Queen) and is placed on the left (the far left of any other Federal medals).

Is this what you are referring to?
http://www.gg.ca/en/honours/canadian-honours/directory-honours/exemplary-service-medals/emergency-medical-services-exemplary-service-medal

It's from Canada, not Ontario.

General Rohmer presented ours, not the GG.

It was a nice gesture from Ottawa, and appreciated.

But, by that time ( 2005 ) I had already been on the department 33 years. Some recipients, my co-workers, had been on longer than that.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2018, 22:16:04 by mariomike »

Offline garb811

• MP/MPO Question Answerer
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2018, 22:42:04 »
Maybe this one, Alberta Emergency Services Medal, which I'm told is something that a former Lieutenant-Governor of Alberta signed off on. This still doesn't make it part of the Canadian Honours System, notwithstanding the below from the AESM Policy Guidelines:

7. ORDER OF PRECEDENCE AND POSITIONING OF SERVICE BARS

a. The AESM may be worn in accord with the policy of the Nominating Authority. If the medal is worn on the left breast of the recipient, it must be worn in a position subordinate to any awards issued by the Crown in right of Canada.

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2018, 23:20:17 »
Maybe this one, Alberta Emergency Services Medal,

Maybe that's why the blogger called Alberta, "The Wild West of medals."  :)

Offline Blackwatch09

• Rate Post
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2018, 02:12:17 »
That's the one! See what I mean though? "IF the medal is worn on the left..." etc. Like come on, make a decision on where it's supposed to friggin go lol

Offline garb811

• MP/MPO Question Answerer
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #39 on: November 20, 2018, 08:07:45 »
It’s pretty cut and dried to me actually, but stuff like that is what happens when organizations take it upon themself to try to imitate the Canadian Honours System. 

For what it’s worth, if a reservist in Alberta decided they wanted to add this to their medals and wear it with their emergency services uniform, they would require a duplicate set of medals because it isn’t authorized for wear for the CAF.

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2018, 16:11:04 »
The 12-year "Alberta Emergency Services Medal" seems to be a way of compensating those who would be ineligible for the 20-year
( Federal ) Exemplary Service Medal ( ESM ).

"◾Dispatchers employed in the public sector supporting emergency responders."

Emergency Medical Dispatchers ( EMD ) would be ineligible for the ESM. EMDs do important work. But, a sit-down job in a clean, inside environment with no heavy lifting and a thermostat on the wall does not meet the "performance of duties involving potential risk" criteria for an ESM.

"◾Emergency Medical Services (EMS) personnel, including paramedics and emergency medical responders (EMR) as defined by the Health Professions Act, employed in public service."

Only licenced AEMCA Paramedics are permitted to service 9-1-1 calls in Ontario.

Emergency Medical Responders (EMRs) require 80 to 120 hours of training. Primary Care Paramedic (PCP), require a two-year diploma of paramedicine. Advanced Care Paramedics (ACP) require an additional year of training and clinical experience totaling three years of education, and Critical Care Paramedics (CCP) require a final year of education totaling four years of education.
Although not yet required to apply, a bachelor's degree of paramedicine is becoming the standard educational requirement for those hired.

Like come on, make a decision on where it's supposed to friggin go lol

In the US, from what I have read, military ribbons are not generally worn on emergency service uniforms ( to avoid mixing military with departmental ribbons. )

The City of Los Angeles, however, is a notable exception,

"LAPD authorizes military and LAPD ribbons to be worn on our LAPD class A uniform during authorized events and inspections."
https://www.joinlapd.com/military

« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 16:30:55 by mariomike »

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #41 on: November 20, 2018, 17:40:40 »
While we're on the subject of 'bling' for non-CAF members...

....who should/ is authorized to wear the Canadian Flag on their uniformed shoulders, you know, like CAF members do?

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Non-Electric Pop-Up Target
« Reply #42 on: November 20, 2018, 17:57:51 »
While we're on the subject of 'bling' for non-CAF members...

....who should/ is authorized to wear the Canadian Flag on their uniformed shoulders, you know, like CAF members do?

That would be up to the organization, but I see no reason anyone or any organization should be restricted by some law from wearing a Canadian flag as part of a uniform.
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #43 on: November 20, 2018, 18:11:26 »

Is there is a law against it?

« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 08:32:40 by mariomike »