Author Topic: B.C. declares provincial state of emergency due to wildfires  (Read 2448 times)

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
Re: B.C. declares provincial state of emergency due to wildfires
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2018, 16:55:54 »
And, of course, the fires are the second state of emergency declared in BC this year after the floods:

B.C. wildfires 2018: Premier says wildfires prompted unprecedented second state of emergency

An air quality alert remains in effect for much of the province because of the smoke from the wildfires.

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/b-c-premier-john-horgan-to-tour-areas-affected-by-wildfires
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline Scott

- apparently an antagonist.

• Likes fire and loud noises.
  • Chief of Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • El Scorcho Diablo
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2018, 06:10:36 »

Screw tickets.  Charged & remanded until trial if sufficient evidence exists to suggest someone is either a) causing arson in the form of fires during forest fire operations (especially these massive ones) - or b) massive fines if someone is seen throwing a lit cigarette or some other stupid thing during these types of situations.

The amount of money & manpower to fight these is HUGE.  Plenty of fires occur naturally, as nature intended & needs.  Fine, fair enough.  Nature will always manage nature far better than we can.

But if someone is intentionally starting fires, or is too stupid to not start a fire by being a bonehead?  No moral problem here arresting/charging them, or hitting them with a massive fine.

**If I was driving through BC and threw a lit cigarette out a window under these circumstances, I would rightfully hope someone would just kick my a$$.

Easy to detect, extraordinarily difficult to prove/make stick.

My hope has always been that communities begin to band together to encourage these folks that they have lost their way. No, not vigilante justice, just subtle hints that their behaviour is offside. My general belief is that someone always knows something.

G2G, funny, I thought that RCAF always had access to buckets. In fact, I was told just such a thing in the mid 00's. It made little sense to me at the time because, like bucketing does take some practice and isn't something you just do. Just like one of the civvy guys might love to land on the back of a heaving ship, but it isn't the wisest idea without some experience first.

Now, as I have said before, I wish the private sector was looked upon as a resource the same as a pump or hose kit were within CIFFC. Legitimize them, end the salesmanship that always accompanies them, and come up with a framework to pay them clear and openly across the board. Private sector isn't going to take a loss. Period. Accept that and find a way to ensure they don't and then it's up to them to decide if it's worth their while to split some resources away from potential blowouts and high revenue events in the oilfield. Risk/reward.
Be nice for no reason.

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2018, 13:40:16 »
One down, dozens to go....

Suspect arrested in B.C. after fires intentionally lit

RCMP in Penticton, B.C. say a man is in custody after fires were intentionally lit on Sunday afternoon.

A witness who called police said he saw a man start a fire before running away near the Channel Parkway Trail and Eckhardt Ave.

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/2018/08/14/fires-suspect-arrested-bc/
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2018, 23:08:21 »
It will be interesting to see if they keep the bush open for this coming Labour Day long weekend. A lot of active logging areas have already been closed:

Drought worsens as fires continue to burn throughout B.C.

This weekend's rain was not enough to extinguish fires or replenish streams and rivers

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/drought-worsens-as-fires-continue-to-burn-throughout-b-c-1.4800686?cmp=news-digests-british-columbia

Offline Larry Strong

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • 546 days from 0 to being King of the Castle
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2018, 23:48:05 »
Humans responsible for more than 400 B.C. wild fires so far this season

https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/humans-responsible-for-more-than-400-b-c-wildfires-so-far-this-season-1.4069178

Cheers
Larry
Proud sponsor of the Maple Leaf Legacy Project. http://www.mapleleaflegacy.ca

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2018, 14:43:17 »
Meanwhile, in the USA:

Report: Poor Management of Forests, Not Global Warming, To Blame for Widespread Wildfires

“Global warming may contribute slightly, but the key factors are mismanaged forests, years of fire suppression, increased population, people living where they should not, invasive flammable species, and the fact that California has always had fire,” University of Washington climate scientist Cliff Mass told TheDCNF.

https://www.westernjournal.com/report-poor-management-forests-global-warming-blame-widespread-wildfires/?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=PostSideSharingButtons&utm_content=2018-08-27&utm_campaign=websitesharingbuttons

Offline Brad Sallows

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2018, 11:15:07 »
And ... there is still a lot of beetle-killed timber out there.  Years ago, people predicted a long run of years of more severe fire seasons than usual.  Did all that disappear from memories?
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

"It is a damned heavy blow; but whining don't help."

Despair is a sin.

Offline Scott

- apparently an antagonist.

• Likes fire and loud noises.
  • Chief of Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • El Scorcho Diablo
« Reply #32 on: September 04, 2018, 06:23:03 »
And ... there is still a lot of beetle-killed timber out there.  Years ago, people predicted a long run of years of more severe fire seasons than usual.  Did all that disappear from memories?

As soon as the first snow flew.

Same everywhere.
Be nice for no reason.