Author Topic: Defending Canadian Arctic Sovereignty  (Read 259672 times)

Offline Blackadder1916

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Defending Canadian Arctic Sovereignty
« Reply #475 on: December 10, 2018, 17:04:33 »
. . . As for novels, I just look how Putin operates and such a move is one he would make. He outmaneuvered the west in Syria and Crimea, if you don't think he won't try again somewhere else, then you will be in for a surprise.   

While Putin the Russians (though I give credit specifically to Vlad, he isn't the sole smart one in that country) did steal a march on the West, bear in mind that they already had a foot on the ground in both the Crimea and Syria.  It would be a decidedly different scenario for Russia to attempt such a move in claiming a part of Canada's land territory regardless of its remote location and sparse population.  Is the Bear's move to regain what it lost following the break-up of the Soviet Union over?  Most likely not, but it is also most unlikely that Putin is having fantasies of occupying our North when he is probably licking his lips at the prospect of re-establishing suzerainty in some of the Eastern European territory that was his stomping ground in his KGB days.
Whisky for the gentlemen that like it. And for the gentlemen that don't like it - Whisky.

Offline Chief Engineer

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #476 on: December 10, 2018, 17:36:34 »
I work in the Federal Government, i have very little faith in their ability to monitor anything and respond to it. As for novels, I just look how Putin operates and such a move is one he would make. He outmaneuvered the west in Syria and Crimea, if you don't think he won't try again somewhere else, then you will be in for a surprise.   

Thank you for not having much faith in us, unlike you I regularly see the maritime picture in the Arctic...  If you want to maintain that a scenario where the Russians and possibly the Chinese as a self declared near Arctic nation will enact a beach head in our Arctic territory as a possibility then that's fine. Like was mentioned already that will mean war as the US will never allow such a incursion near their territory, Russia knows that and so does China.
"When your draught exceeds your depth, you are most assuredly aground"

All opinions stated are not official policy of the CF and of a private individual

كافر

Offline QV

• Rate Post
« Reply #477 on: December 10, 2018, 18:15:43 »
Thank you for not having much faith in us, unlike you I regularly see the maritime picture in the Arctic...  If you want to maintain that a scenario where the Russians and possibly the Chinese as a self declared near Arctic nation will enact a beach head in our Arctic territory as a possibility then that's fine. Like was mentioned already that will mean war as the US will never allow such a incursion near their territory, Russia knows that and so does China.

I sure wish we could all say: "Canada will never allow..."

Online Cloud Cover

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #478 on: December 10, 2018, 19:05:18 »
... on the other hand, let them come in and build all the infrastructure, then surround it and kick them out.

Offline Chris Pook

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Wha daur say Mass in ma lug!
« Reply #479 on: December 10, 2018, 21:19:37 »
Have you seen Russian and Chinese infrastructure?

"Wyrd bið ful aræd"

Online Cloud Cover

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #480 on: December 10, 2018, 21:52:23 »
Only in Russia and China.