Author Topic: Ql3 course  (Read 13504 times)

Offline paleomedic

• Rate Post
Re: Ql3 course
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2017, 07:35:04 »
With the cutbacks the military is constantly facing, I can't imagine  anyone getting a career course while they are pending their OT.
What happens if they decide you are not a good fit for MP, and you are halfway through the course? They let you finish and then you are qualified for a trade you are not allowed to do? or they pull you off and then it's still a colossal waste of money and time for everyone involved.

Side question... if you are OT'ing to MP, do you still have to pass MPAC before being officially approved? or because you are already serving you get to bypass that step?

Offline EpicBeardedMan

• Rate Post
  • Getting better, stronger, faster.
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2017, 11:43:14 »

Side question... if you are OT'ing to MP, do you still have to pass MPAC before being officially approved? or because you are already serving you get to bypass that step?

there is no more MPAC, its been replaced with an interview.
The military isn't really like a James Bond movie where you go for jet training in the morning and then underwater demolitions after lunch.

Offline LunchMeat

• Rate Post
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2017, 12:07:16 »
With the cutbacks the military is constantly facing, I can't imagine  anyone getting a career course while they are pending their OT.
What happens if they decide you are not a good fit for MP, and you are halfway through the course? They let you finish and then you are qualified for a trade you are not allowed to do? or they pull you off and then it's still a colossal waste of money and time for everyone involved.

I'd be shocked if that were the case considering I'm a Provincial level law enforcement officer, I have a grandfathered Suitable finding on MPAC, and I'm an active, Res MP at OFP.

As I said, one can dream, I'm not hoping for much. I'm just at my wits end with my current employer.
"The most important six inches on the battlefield is between your ears.” ~General James "Mad Dog" Mattis, USMC

Offline garb811

• MP/MPO Question Answerer
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2017, 20:29:35 »
There is no way to "bypass" the MP specific steps, no matter what they are called.  The only thing a OT, CT or OT/CT does is open up another set of entry standards for what is considered suitable to apply for MP.  ie. You don't need a full Diploma in some cases, in others you don't even need any credits in a suitable program.

Offline OttCap

• Rate Post
« Reply #29 on: May 21, 2017, 16:04:20 »
...Once you get to Borden you will get your initial issue of OPD (Occupational Patrol Dress) and accoutrements.

When I did MPAC last year, all the CFMPA students wore cadpad with the black armband, has this changed since then? Or are you issued OPD and don't wear it until graduation?

Offline LunchMeat

• Rate Post
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2017, 21:18:59 »
When I did MPAC last year, all the CFMPA students wore cadpad with the black armband, has this changed since then? Or are you issued OPD and don't wear it until graduation?

There's this thing call Dress Of The Day, not every single day will be in OPD. There will be some days where you are doing certain training and they'll have you in CADPAT.

"The most important six inches on the battlefield is between your ears.” ~General James "Mad Dog" Mattis, USMC

Offline garb811

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #31 on: May 22, 2017, 15:22:29 »
In addition to what Lunchmeat stated, most of the course is spent in OPD and accoutrements as it is the most effective way of getting the students accustomed to wearing everything.  A big part of safety is being intimately familiar with where everything is on the duty belt and the Academy is the best place to do that given a blue gun in the holster etc etc.

Offline EpicBeardedMan

• Rate Post
« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2017, 21:49:08 »
In addition to what Lunchmeat stated, most of the course is spent in OPD and accoutrements as it is the most effective way of getting the students accustomed to wearing everything.  A big part of safety is being intimately familiar with where everything is on the duty belt and the Academy is the best place to do that given a blue gun in the holster etc etc.

Hey Garb, if I have previous service would I still get bumped to corporal when I accepted an offer for MP since I have completed basic (and bmq-l) already? I know MP's that go through basic get promoted on grad day, not sure how it works with those just reporting to base.
The military isn't really like a James Bond movie where you go for jet training in the morning and then underwater demolitions after lunch.

Offline LunchMeat

• Rate Post
« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2017, 22:12:14 »
Hey Garb, if I have previous service would I still get bumped to corporal when I accepted an offer for MP since I have completed basic (and bmq-l) already? I know MP's that go through basic get promoted on grad day, not sure how it works with those just reporting to base.

If you have been granted a Recruit School Bypass, you'll be promoted upon arrival in Borden either for course or PAT, whatever your offer states your report date will be.

Offline EpicBeardedMan

• Rate Post
« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2017, 22:19:44 »
If you have been granted a Recruit School Bypass, you'll be promoted upon arrival in Borden either for course or PAT, whatever your offer states your report date will be.

Cheers, thanks Lunchmeat.

Offline LunchMeat

• Rate Post
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2017, 02:42:56 »
Cheers, thanks Lunchmeat.

That said, your offer should have stated the effective date and pay rate. Ideally, it's just the badges and identifying items for Corporal you'll receive when you report, however your pay takes effect immediately (although you're on LWOP until your report date).

Offline coyote489

• Rate Post
« Reply #36 on: December 23, 2017, 15:01:43 »
Ok so here is my situation.... I have recruit school bypass and am headed to Borden for the January 9th QL3. CFRC booked my flights for January 8th. Does this seem right? I have no kit or anything of course as I've been out for 5 years. I feel like I am being set up for all hell to break loose (major cluster****) when I arrive in Borden in the sense I'll be starting a course with nothing. Any help on this one? Suggestions as to what I should do? I don't expect any leniency of course so not sure what to do on this one... maybe just suck it up and go with it?
"Audi, Vide, Tace"

Offline garb811

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #37 on: December 23, 2017, 16:22:11 »
There isn't really much you can do in this situation, the Academy should be aware of your situation prior to your arrival and they should have a plan in place to get you through the initial hoops.  Just take it step by step and it will all fall into place, although the first week is really going to suck.

Offline OttCap

• Rate Post
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2017, 08:48:13 »
Were You not given joining instructions with your report date? In those joining instructions there should be contact information for the school.

I would at the very least give them a heads up because what you’re describing is very unusual to not even have a uniform to wear. When you get there I’d suggest making friends real quick and borrowing someone’s spare uniform for a few days until they get you to the QM to get all your OPDs and duty items.

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2017, 11:39:55 »
You're headed to Borden for the 9th, but is your course starting that day? Likely it's not, and as Garb said the school will sort you out including all the paperwork and kitting. Travel in appropriate civilian attire and wear that until you have a uniform. Don't go borrowing kit, if they want you in CADPAT/OPDs that fast, they'll make arrangements with clothing stores.

Offline coyote489

• Rate Post
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2017, 11:58:06 »
So i leave Kelowna BC 8 Jan and the course starts 9 Jan. thats why i was kinda freaking out a bit. Im gonna feel like giant turd starting my career course in civy clothes.... but oh well not much i can do. I will be asking CFRC on the 2nd if they can change my flight to the 7th at least. so that way i can have a day to sort my self out. I won't be borrowing anyones kit either..... just seems weird to me. And no I was given joining instructions for CFLRS, where I am not going, another thing i will be requesting on the 2nd.
"Audi, Vide, Tace"

Offline WatchDog87

• Rate Post
  • Formerly WEng87
« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2018, 13:29:48 »
So i leave Kelowna BC 8 Jan and the course starts 9 Jan. thats why i was kinda freaking out a bit. Im gonna feel like giant turd starting my career course in civy clothes.... but oh well not much i can do. I will be asking CFRC on the 2nd if they can change my flight to the 7th at least. so that way i can have a day to sort my self out. I won't be borrowing anyones kit either..... just seems weird to me. And no I was given joining instructions for CFLRS, where I am not going, another thing i will be requesting on the 2nd.

Hey Coyote,  How'd this all pan out for you in the end?

Offline coyote489

• Rate Post
« Reply #42 on: February 13, 2018, 17:32:52 »
Well it made for an interesting story... there was 2 of us on this course that started off like me. He was able to conjur up a uniform before coming here though. I wasn't that lucky. First day the Sgt asked me, very sternly, where my uniform was.... I told him my situation and he said that I'm a first he's heard of in my situation. So it took 3 days to get the initial kit issue which wasn't too bad it was just awkward as all hell walking around the academy in civies with people staring at me with pure anger in their eyes and everyone asking me why I'm not in uniform. Then to top it all off it took a month to add me into HRMS which was turning into a nightmare cause of pay issues etc. Everything was settled by week 4 and I'm good to go now. Really enjoying the course so far.
"Audi, Vide, Tace"