Author Topic: Upcoming Changes to the Dress Manual  (Read 16382 times)

tomydoom and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Sabaton

• Rate Post
change in grooming policy
« Reply #125 on: April 21, 2018, 20:35:04 »
Hey guys i read alot of reddit post and heard lots of rumour at work about change in grooming policy (hair and beard mostly).

I did some research last week and I found the,integral minutes from the dress and ceremonial committee , the SM of the army has been task to establish new grooming policy including  beard for male the goal is to make the wear of the beard more accessible to military member.those minute were from november 2017 with the committee meeting twice a year and their second meeting seem to be around may and June, if looking back at past year we should see  update in the dress manual relatively soon

Offline Sheep Dog AT

• The Fly in Someone's Ointment - Giggity
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
Re: Upcoming Changes to the Dress Manual
« Reply #126 on: April 21, 2018, 22:44:20 »
Do you have a link to the minutes?
Apparently infamous for his one liners.
Oh Giggity Well...........Giggity

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #127 on: April 21, 2018, 22:45:21 »
Its about 50 posts back, immediately before the Army hating, RCN uniform tangent. Posted as a pdf.

Offline Sheep Dog AT

• The Fly in Someone's Ointment - Giggity
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #128 on: April 21, 2018, 22:50:31 »
Thanks
Apparently infamous for his one liners.
Oh Giggity Well...........Giggity

Online ballz

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #129 on: April 22, 2018, 02:56:01 »
Based on how it was written in the minutes, and judging by the positions involved on that committee... I remain extremely skeptical that beards are going to be allowed for your average straight white Christian male. Hopefully that's just my experience in the army that's taught me not to get excited about anything / expect anything, and there is no actual reason to be skeptical...
Many persons have a wrong idea of what constitutes true happiness. It is not attained through self-gratification, but through fidelity to a worthy purpose.
- Helen Keller

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
Re: All things beard-y (regs, memos, Army/Navy) - merged
« Reply #130 on: April 22, 2018, 19:09:46 »

Would rock the goatee if that's allowed though; suits my ugly mug and will probably have the fringe benefit of really annoying the same people that don't like officers wearing berets. 

What's the justification in their minds for Officers not to wear berets?  That makes no sense. 
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

Offline Navy_Pete

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
Re: Re: All things beard-y (regs, memos, Army/Navy) - merged
« Reply #131 on: April 22, 2018, 20:50:58 »
What's the justification in their minds for Officers not to wear berets?  That makes no sense.

It's a weird navy thing, where some senior offices expect the officers to wear the peak caps. So wearing the beret with salt and peppers drives some people nuts.  Sort of like a navy headgear version of the parade boots vs oxfords. I have no idea where it comes from, but think it's kind of dumb, so wear the beret once in a while (like while traveling).  It's not too common, but some people hold really strong feelings about it for some reason.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #132 on: April 22, 2018, 21:00:15 »
So they think the beret is for us oar-pullers only...and like, it has a sweat band in it and why would an Officer (want or need to) sweat?

;D
If you're gonna fight, fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.

And brother, it's startin' to rain...

Offline jollyjacktar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • My uncle F/Sgt W.H.S. Buckwell KIA 14/05/43 21 YOA
« Reply #133 on: April 22, 2018, 21:18:24 »
I see naval officers all the time who are wearing berets. 
Annoying Liberals, apparently I'm doing a good job of it =)

Offline Pusser

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #134 on: Yesterday at 11:24:33 »
I see naval officers all the time who are wearing berets.

It is nevertheless, an abomination.  Just because you can, doesn't mean you should...
Sure, apes read Nietzsche.  They just don't understand it.

Offline jollyjacktar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #135 on: Yesterday at 11:42:17 »
It is nevertheless, an abomination.  Just because you can, doesn't mean you should...

The peak cap, is in my opinion a medieval torture device, no doubt designed by Tomás de Torquemada.  How someone could enjoy wearing a hat that was apparently designed to fit on a telephone pole, being circular and not shaped to the human head is beyond me.  Bloody thing gives me a ******* headache within a very short time.

Offline Simian Turner

is a humbled, curious veteran!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Do the right thing; do the thing right!
« Reply #136 on: Yesterday at 12:19:19 »
The peak cap, is in my opinion a medieval torture device, no doubt designed by Tomás de Torquemada.  How someone could enjoy wearing a hat that was apparently designed to fit on a telephone pole, being circular and not shaped to the human head is beyond me.  Bloody thing gives me a ******* headache within a very short time.

It is the Capt Stubing Effect - you either Love (Boat) it or don't!
The grand essentials of happiness: something to do, something to love, something to hope for.  Allan K. Chalmers

Offline jollyjacktar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #137 on: Yesterday at 12:44:31 »
It is the Capt Stubing Effect - you either Love (Boat) it or don't!

Beret all the way.

Offline FSTO

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #138 on: Yesterday at 12:59:44 »

Take the plastic tube out, it fits much better and it gives your hat a bit of a more salty flair.
I've done this since my first day wearing it in Chilliwack and never have had a problem.

Offline jollyjacktar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #139 on: Yesterday at 13:38:23 »
I ended up buying a hat form that was able to conform the ******* to that of the human anatomy and not a SNL Cone Head character.  But thank you for the advise.

Offline Navy_Pete

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #140 on: Yesterday at 13:48:38 »
Take the plastic tube out, it fits much better and it gives your hat a bit of a more salty flair.
I've done this since my first day wearing it in Chilliwack and never have had a problem.

I got a replacement peak cap with a note in the box that said 'REMOVE THE PLASTIC SHIPPING RING BEFORE WEARING'.  Did that a decade ago and it's been great since, as it's actually pretty comfortable with that ring out.  I keep it for reinforcing it if I throw it in my suitcase, but if I do have to wear it, floppy is the way to go. Not sure why people insist you are supposed to keep it in; literally just there to keep the peak cap from getting crushed while shipping.

In any case, the peak cap/beret thing with officers is a strange upstairs/downstairs thing I can't quite get behind, but a bit off topic.  Other than sporting a beret/goatee/parade boot in NDHQ combo might result in some promotions from a 'sickly season' when people stroke out about something that doesn't really matter.

Offline E.R. Campbell

• Retired, years ago
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #141 on: Yesterday at 16:37:28 »
Ta da!

It is, pretty clearly, time to bring back the (1939) Field Service Cap ...

We've been too focused on getting things back to 1965 ... we need to go a bit father in reverse ...

I read, somewhere, that it was unpopular with the troops which seems to me to mean that it will fit right into our post-Afghanistan, American model army.

Of course we should then make sure that the RCAF is not allowed to wear its version of it ...
You're welcome ...
It is ill that men should kill one another in seditions, tumults and wars; but it is worse to bring nations to such misery, weakness and baseness
as to have neither strength nor courage to contend for anything; to have nothing left worth defending and to give the name of peace to desolation.
Algernon Sidney in Discourses Concerning Government, (1698)
----------
Like what you see/read here on Army.ca?  Subscribe, and help keep it "on the air!"

Offline NFLD Sapper

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • CFSME STAFF
« Reply #142 on: Yesterday at 17:00:18 »
Ta da!

We've been too focused on getting things back to 1965 ... we need to go a bit father in reverse ...

I read, somewhere, that it was unpopular with the troops which seems to me to mean that it will fit right into our post-Afghanistan, American model army.

Of course we should then make sure that the RCAF is not allowed to wear its version of it ...
You're welcome ...

Back into the display case you go Mr. Campbell... ;D :rofl:
CHIMO!
First in, Last out
Sappers Lead the Way

Just tell your wife she owes your life to some Muddy Old Engineer,
Some dusty, crusty, croaking, joking Muddy Old Engineer

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #143 on: Yesterday at 18:39:06 »

I'm sure all the army officers who aren't 'superior' enough for the bus driver hat appreciate that thought.   8)
If you're gonna fight, fight like you're the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.

And brother, it's startin' to rain...

Offline FSTO

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #144 on: Yesterday at 18:57:02 »
I'm sure all the army officers who aren't 'superior' enough for the bus driver hat appreciate that thought.   8)

Since the army uniform does not include shoulder boards then by all means carry on with the girl guide cap!  ;D

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #145 on: Yesterday at 20:00:17 »

aka
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Side_cap#Synonyms_and_slang_terms
Get on the bus. Take a ride with us.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2lSGnPl-ww