Author Topic: All About Co-op (merged)  (Read 194706 times)

Offline Mason Jar

• Rate Post
Reserves to Co-Op
« Reply #300 on: November 25, 2017, 19:32:16 »
Hello everyone, I submitted my application for the the Primary Reserves and it's almost gone through, and I'm kind of feeling anxious as if I I should have went co-op. My recruiters seemed to like I was joining normally and I was also misleaded in my decision (someone told me that co-op applicants end up leaving/getting kicked out after high school and I foolishly believed them). I was wondering if I would be able to somehow go into co-op after my application was fully processed as I think I heard somewhere on this site and what the process would be, and I would also like to hear some personal opinions on Co-op vs. going in normally.
P.S. Just in case it matters im joining as an Artillery NCM. Thanks for your help in advance!
Recruiting Center: Toronto
Regular/Reserve: Reserves
Officer/ NCM: NCM
Trade Choice 1: Artillery Soldier
Trade Choice 2: Combat engineer
Trade Choice 3: Armoured Soldier
Application date: October 25, 2017
First Contact: October 26, 2017
Aptitude test: November 2, 2017 (passed)
FORCE test: November 2, 2017 (passed)
Medical: November 9, 2017
Interview: November 15, 2017 (passed)
Med approved: Pending

Offline Buck_HRA

• Directing Staff
  • Rate Post
    • CAF - Find a Recruiter
Re: All About Co-op (merged)
« Reply #301 on: November 26, 2017, 21:53:55 »
I was wondering if I would be able to somehow go into co-op after my application was fully processed...
Short answer, no.  If you want to go co-op you need to apply under the co-op program.  If you want until you're fully processed you cannot change.

The next information is purely based on my own experience around those that have done co-op.  Most co-op students do not stay in the military any longer than normally their co-op time.  Those who do stay beyond co-op aren't hugely successful in future courses.  I'm sure there are individuals in the CAF who've done the co-op route that are very successful; but what I've found is that when co-op students have to go away to do their first "away from home" / overnight course it's a huge culture shock to them.  Most are not prepared for this culture shock and either fail off course or return home voluntarily.  Again I'm sure there are co-op students out there that have been successful, but the above is my experience to date.

Offline Mason Jar

• Rate Post
« Reply #302 on: November 26, 2017, 23:39:35 »
Thank you for the response, it was really helpful! I'm just going to continue on with my application as normal since I find all the things about co-op way too confusing which I don't feel safe with. Thanks again!

Offline compton194

• Rate Post
Military co-op & Aptitude Test
« Reply #303 on: January 17, 2018, 23:41:44 »
I'm in Grade 11 and wanted to get into a Canadian Forces co-op that my school was offering. In order to be accepted, everyone had to pass the CFAT. I failed twice, having a weakness in the problem solving section.

While my ignorance and lack of serious preparation isn't an excuse, I was never told that we only got three attempts in life to pass this test. Many more kids from my area are in the same predicament that I'm in and the future career I wish to pursue is now in jeopardy.

While I plan to take years to prepare for my final attempt, is there any way that my previous failures could be nullified as I was not of legal age to serve at the time?

Offline Mason Jar

• Rate Post
« Reply #304 on: January 18, 2018, 00:47:46 »
Don't quote me on this but I believe you must wait the mandatory 6 months (Again, don't quote me on it) before you retake it. Also, I'm fairly sure you have to be 16 years old to take the CFAT in the first place you might want to talk to your recruiter about that. This would also go well in the CFAT thread.

Offline Buck_HRA

• Directing Staff
  • Rate Post
    • CAF - Find a Recruiter
« Reply #305 on: January 18, 2018, 11:17:44 »
I'm in Grade 11 and wanted to get into a Canadian Forces co-op that my school was offering. In order to be accepted, everyone had to pass the CFAT. I failed twice, having a weakness in the problem solving section.

While my ignorance and lack of serious preparation isn't an excuse, I was never told that we only got three attempts in life to pass this test. Many more kids from my area are in the same predicament that I'm in and the future career I wish to pursue is now in jeopardy.

While I plan to take years to prepare for my final attempt, is there any way that my previous failures could be nullified as I was not of legal age to serve at the time?

Short answer no. 
The policy is set up for a maximum of 3 attempts at the CFAT.
Although you are stating you were not of legal age to serve, I'm not sure what you mean by that. 
All Reserve Force members must be 16 years of age to be enrolled into the CAF (this is only as a PRes member who is also enrolled as a full-time high school student). 
Anyone under the age of 18 requires parental/guardian consent to go through the enrollment process to join the CAF; so to write the CFAT your parent/guardian would have had to agree on your behalf; as such your previous 2 attempts stand.

Edit Note: Although this is a CFAT style question; being that it's centered around co-op I'm going to leave it in this thread so that others interested in the co-op  program understand the importance of completing the CFAT to the best of your ability right from the first attempt.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 11:37:10 by Buck_HRA »