Author Topic: US Presidential Election 2020  (Read 62573 times)

Offline Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: US Presidential Election 2020
« Reply #650 on: September 28, 2020, 19:31:09 »
Yeah, pretty easy to observe on that with the benefit of hindsight.

Another perspective:

“If you really look closely, most overnight successes took a long time.”

― Steve Jobs

The issue is that he portrayed himself as a very successful businessman now and back then.  What the times piece seems to show is that he was a successful celebrity and invested his fortune in terrible deals.  Or at least for the last 15 years and somehow got himself into a 300-400 million dollar debt load.  It gets hard to not see any issues with that.

Optio

Offline Brad Sallows

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #651 on: September 28, 2020, 19:59:19 »
>Until he does he gets to live  with the cloud of suspicion over his head.

There are so many of those clouds; how do we know which is which?  Are both the Russian collusion and debt clouds in suitable shades of red?
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

"It is a damned heavy blow; but whining don't help."

Despair is a sin.

Offline Weinie

• Rate Post
« Reply #652 on: September 28, 2020, 20:01:42 »
The issue is that he portrayed himself as a very successful businessman now and back then.  What the times piece seems to show is that he was a successful celebrity and invested his fortune in terrible deals.  Or at least for the last 15 years and somehow got himself into a 300-400 million dollar debt load.  It gets hard to not see any issues with that.

So bad businessman or bad president. Some folks on here are obsessed with one thing or another about him: I personally don't give a fat rats azz about his business acumen or his debt, he is the POTUS, and as a consequence we have to deal with him as POTUS, not as a celebrity, not as a real estate tycoon.

We have a PM who used to be a drama teacher.
“In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it.”
– Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Offline Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #653 on: September 28, 2020, 20:23:53 »
So bad businessman or bad president. Some folks on here are obsessed with one thing or another about him: I personally don't give a fat rats azz about his business acumen or his debt, he is the POTUS, and as a consequence we have to deal with him as POTUS, not as a celebrity, not as a real estate tycoon.

We have a PM who used to be a drama teacher.

A POTUS with a 300 to 400 million dollar debt, assuming those numbers are accurate.  With unknown backers. Does that sort of thing not concern you?  That to me is the real story behind his tax returns.  Not how he gamed the system if done legally.

Keep in mind he also charges his secret service types to stay at his hotels.  That thing that tax payer money actually foots the bill for.  Remember when he wanted to host the G7 at his resort.  Seems like he may have forgotten that he isn’t a tycoon anymore.
+300
Optio

Offline QV

• Rate Post
« Reply #654 on: September 28, 2020, 20:42:54 »
I feel like many folks here could benefit from Episode 1138 Scott Adam’s explanation on taxes, business, cash flow vs income, cash flow and debt, etc.  If you already have a basic understanding of all of that, then the podcast isn’t necessary and you’d know this NY Times article is a gigantic nothing burger designed to fool low information swing voters. 

In fact, as Scott Adams suggests and I agree, this all shows us one important thing; Trump is far cleaner than we all thought. 
+300

Offline Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #655 on: September 29, 2020, 17:30:04 »
Debate tonight at 21:00hrs.

Regardless of anyone’s views it will be an interesting debate.
+100
Optio

Offline QV

• Rate Post
« Reply #656 on: September 29, 2020, 17:42:29 »
Debate tonight at 21:00hrs.

Regardless of anyone’s views it will be an interesting debate.
One for the ages

Offline Weinie

• Rate Post
« Reply #657 on: September 29, 2020, 18:45:00 »
One for the ages

Actually, one for the aged.
+660
“In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it.”
– Field Marshal Erwin Rommel

Offline suffolkowner

• Rate Post
« Reply #658 on: September 29, 2020, 18:54:16 »
I feel like many folks here could benefit from Episode 1138 Scott Adam’s explanation on taxes, business, cash flow vs income, cash flow and debt, etc.  If you already have a basic understanding of all of that, then the podcast isn’t necessary and you’d know this NY Times article is a gigantic nothing burger designed to fool low information swing voters. 

In fact, as Scott Adams suggests and I agree, this all shows us one important thing; Trump is far cleaner than we all thought.

Is this the Scott Adams you're talking about?

https://www.scottadamssays.com/

Offline Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #659 on: September 29, 2020, 22:39:57 »
That was chaotic.
Optio

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Living the staff life
« Reply #660 on: September 29, 2020, 22:45:04 »
I lasted a few mins and couldn't take it anymore. 
“If you run into an a-hole in the morning, you ran into an a-hole. If you run into a-holes all day, you're the a-hole.”

- Raylan Givens, Justified (cleaned up for content)

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Keep 'em rolling.
    • The job.
« Reply #661 on: September 29, 2020, 22:46:23 »
I could only handle a few minutes of the sh%t show. Switched to Sons of Anarchy.
In any war, there are two tremendous tasks. That of the combat troops is to fight the enemy. That of the supply troops is to furnish all the material to insure victory. The faster and farther the combat troops advance against the foe, the greater becomes the battle of supply. EISENHOWER

Offline Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #662 on: September 29, 2020, 22:52:32 »
 A lot to digest.

I don’t think Biden was awesome.  He had a few moments.

Trump was off the rails. 

Wallace lost control of that. 

I’m sure there will be plenty of analysis for some time to come.

Optio

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Living the staff life
« Reply #663 on: September 29, 2020, 23:11:37 »
“If you run into an a-hole in the morning, you ran into an a-hole. If you run into a-holes all day, you're the a-hole.”

Offline Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #664 on: September 29, 2020, 23:15:18 »
Optio

Offline uncle-midget-Oddball

Back to work in one week... Finally.

• Rate Post
  • Why dont you knock it off with them negative waves
« Reply #665 on: September 30, 2020, 09:08:38 »
While all these companies are offering to sell services ad-free by paying to subscribe... I would have paid money to have had a commercial break thrown in there.

90 minutes of a career bully putting on a show directly for (and only for) the people who show up to his rallies or worship him  VS a tired old man (although I admit he held his own and I would have been exhausted myself after the first few minutes) trying to talk directly to normal people at home while the 'moderator' fails to keep the schoolyard bully from yelling over him in an attempt to make him seem senile.
What are you doing?

I'm drinking wine and eating cheese, and catching some rays, you know.

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Living the staff life
« Reply #666 on: September 30, 2020, 09:29:05 »
90 minutes of a career bully putting on a show directly for (and only for) the people who show up to his rallies or worship him  VS a tired old man (although I admit he held his own and I would have been exhausted myself after the first few minutes) trying to talk directly to normal people at home while the 'moderator' fails to keep the schoolyard bully from yelling over him in an attempt to make him seem senile.

I think that speaks to the stereotype of the loud, brash American.  In many parts of the world, not speaking all the time isn't a bad thing - it means you're taking the time to think about the answer instead of just blurting something out. 
+300

Online GR66

• Rate Post
« Reply #667 on: September 30, 2020, 09:45:12 »
I was (thankfully) working late so didn't get to witness the spectacle live, but did see the highlights (lowlights?) on the news, which is likely all that many/most US voters saw.

Personally I doubt if Trump's performance will have changed anyone's mind.  Everyone already knows what he's like and people have probably made their decisions about him long ago.  Biden's the one that needed to make an impression and give people a reason to go out and vote for him.  Unfortunately, from the clips that were played on the news it shows him on a similar vein as Trump.  Especially the "Will you shut up, man?" clip. 

Trump haters (who were already likely to get out and vote for Biden) will certainly love hearing the President getting told off, but for the many semi-engaged people that may or not normally make the effort to get out and vote they might look at clips like this and think maybe there really isn't a huge difference between the way the two act and bluster and not bother picking either one.  That could possibly help President Trump in November.

Offline Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #668 on: September 30, 2020, 09:58:13 »
I was (thankfully) working late so didn't get to witness the spectacle live, but did see the highlights (lowlights?) on the news, which is likely all that many/most US voters saw.

Personally I doubt if Trump's performance will have changed anyone's mind.  Everyone already knows what he's like and people have probably made their decisions about him long ago.  Biden's the one that needed to make an impression and give people a reason to go out and vote for him.  Unfortunately, from the clips that were played on the news it shows him on a similar vein as Trump.  Especially the "Will you shut up, man?" clip. 

Trump haters (who were already likely to get out and vote for Biden) will certainly love hearing the President getting told off, but for the many semi-engaged people that may or not normally make the effort to get out and vote they might look at clips like this and think maybe there really isn't a huge difference between the way the two act and bluster and not bother picking either one.  That could possibly help President Trump in November.

Biden did indeed do those things but nowhere near the same level.  I found him flat with a few good moments.

If Trump was trying to gain any share of the black vote or women’s vote I doubt he made any gains.  His strongest moment was on the SCOTUS appt. 

Telling the proud boys to stand back and stand by was probably the biggest self inflicted wound he did to himself.

I don’t think this will get Trump any gains, which in a tight race you need, but he won’t lose his current support.
+300
Optio

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Keep 'em rolling.
    • The job.
« Reply #669 on: September 30, 2020, 10:03:36 »
If a debate has a set time for answers (like 2 mins), why is the other candidate’s mic on during the time?
In any war, there are two tremendous tasks. That of the combat troops is to fight the enemy. That of the supply troops is to furnish all the material to insure victory. The faster and farther the combat troops advance against the foe, the greater becomes the battle of supply. EISENHOWER

Offline Bruce Monkhouse

Is a pinball wizard.

• Lab Experiment #13
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • WHERE IS MY BATON?
    • http://www.canadianbands.com./home.html
« Reply #670 on: September 30, 2020, 10:36:48 »
Because the media doesn't want debate...zzzzzzzzzzzz...
.they want the arsehole moments.
Its like, for most people, watching NASCAR and all you really care about are the wrecks.
IF YOU REALLY ENJOY THIS SITE AND WISH TO CONTINUE,THEN PLEASE WIGGLE UP TO THE BAR AND BUY A SUBSCRIPTION OR SOME SWAG FROM THE MILNET.CA STORE OR IF YOU WISH TO ADVERTISE PLEASE SEND MIKE SOME DETAILS.

Everybody has a game plan until they get punched in the mouth.

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Living the staff life
« Reply #671 on: September 30, 2020, 10:54:13 »
Biden did indeed do those things but nowhere near the same level.  I found him flat with a few good moments.

If Trump was trying to gain any share of the black vote or women’s vote I doubt he made any gains.  His strongest moment was on the SCOTUS appt. 

Telling the proud boys to stand back and stand by was probably the biggest self inflicted wound he did to himself.

I don’t think this will get Trump any gains, which in a tight race you need, but he won’t lose his current support.

That definitely didn't make any gains, and probably more than a few losses in the (probably conflicted right now) visible minority communities that traditionally vote Republican. 

I don't even want to think how his supporters will spin that to mean anything other than he supports the Proud Boys and their beliefs.

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Keep 'em rolling.
    • The job.
« Reply #672 on: September 30, 2020, 11:51:03 »

That definitely didn't make any gains, and probably more than a few losses in the (probably conflicted right now) visible minority communities that traditionally vote Republican. 

I don't even want to think how his supporters will spin that to mean anything other than he supports the Proud Boys and their beliefs.

Apparently, "move to Canada" searches "skyrocketed" after the "debate".  :)
https://www.google.com/search?q=%22move+to+canada%22&sxsrf=ALeKk02iuMCFyBcxYRYxH4040u_MtMPOjg:1601666838167&source=lnt&tbs=qdr:m&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwidw7_30ZbsAhVEhOAKHSPKBCQQpwV6BAgVEB4&biw=1280&bih=641#spf=1601666844646
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 15:28:02 by mariomike »

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #673 on: September 30, 2020, 19:25:56 »
In Trumps defense he said he had no idea who the Proud Boys actually were.

:D
« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 21:03:35 by Jarnhamar »
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline shawn5o

• Rate Post
  • "We have met the enemy and he is us!" Pogo
« Reply #674 on: October 01, 2020, 10:13:17 »
I watched not even a minute but did catch Trump being an a******e and Biden calling trump a liar.

What is interesting is what happened after the debate.

On Wednesday morning, [Biden's] Twitter account posted a video attacking Trump for his response to the question.

The clip plays Wallace’s attempt to get Trump to denounce white supremacists and right-wing militias over footage from 2017’s Unite the Right rally and images from this year’s civil unrest.

As Wallace’s voice mentions Kenosha, an image of Kyle Rittenhouse flashes across the screen of Biden’s video.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1311268302950260737

Rittenhouse, a 17-year-old who’s accused of shooting three people — killing two — during the unrest in Kenosha, is now being charged with first-degree homicide, though he argues that he was acting in self-defense.

Members of the young man’s legal defense team quickly took action against Biden’s false characterization of Rittenhouse as a white supremacist, demanding a retraction from the former vice president.

L. Lin Wood, one attorney on the team, confirmed that a “formal demand for public retraction is being prepared for” the Biden campaign.

https://twitter.com/LLinWood/status/1311290152619307008

Article
“We can't all be heroes because somebody has to sit on the curb and clap as they go by.” ― Will Rogers