Author Topic: The Legend of the Legion  (Read 1112 times)

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
The Legend of the Legion
« on: April 12, 2017, 10:47:09 »
What comes to mind when you think of the French Foreign Legion? Most likely men struggling through the desert in heavy blue coats and white peaked caps. Men who joined up after a lifetime of crime, fighting valiantly, then leaving the Legion to become tough, faceless mercenaries trading on their background, or else dying in the mud of Dien Bien Phu as the last choppers leave for La Belle France.

The reality is different. In its first version, the Legion was seen as a rough mercenary force that guaranteed immunity from criminal prosecution, as well as a new life and French citizenship. In its second incarnation, the Legion became a sort of substitute family. Now in its third, the official image of the Legion is of an elite fighting force, to be compared with the British SAS or the US Navy Seals. Today, legionnaires are much more than a band of mere ‘expendables’.

https://aeon.co/essays/why-young-men-queue-up-to-die-in-the-french-foreign-legion
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

Offline jollyjacktar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • My uncle F/Sgt W.H.S. Buckwell KIA 14/05/43 21 YOA
Re: The Legend of the Legion
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 11:47:40 »
Thanks, I really enjoyed reading that. 
Annoying Liberals, apparently I'm doing a good job of it =)

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 12:32:18 »
<that guy>The Foreign Legion's not been in UAE since mid 2016 - 13 DBLE's moved back to France</that guy> -- still, interesting historical overview.
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Dan M

• Rate Post
  • It's only with age I realize how lucky I've been.
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 13:17:36 »
The Legion is in the midst of an expansion due to an increase in its authorized strength.  The move of 13e DBLE from Africa to France included its expansion from a cadre (in Africa) to a full strength infantry regiment.  Accompanying this is the addition of a fourth rifle company to each Legion infantry unit.  Together this has resulted in the training regiment at Castelnaudary being expanded to handle the influx of new bods.

It's a good time for those 18-25 year olds who always dreamt of running away to join the Legion to do it.

Cheers,
Dan.
An officer in The Canadian Guards should at all times, by intelligent study, conscientious application to his work and continual observation, seek to make himself so competent, so confident and so correct in all matters connected with the Profession of Arms that if he were to state in the presence of any military audience that "Pigs have wings", he would at once be both understood and believed. The wise officer, of course, will weigh all his statements carefully before he makes them. (ASAG 1960)