Author Topic: PRC Developing A Surface/Sub Warship  (Read 2174 times)

Online tomahawk6

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
PRC Developing A Surface/Sub Warship
« on: June 03, 2017, 17:31:23 »
I don't know if this concept is practical. Can you make a submarine into a surface ship ? Perhaps. I suspect it may end up being more submarine than anything else.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/china-apos-massive-warship-future-132043454.html

https://twitter.com/peterwsinger/status/870708850273300480/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fs.yimg.com%2Fos%2Fyc%2Fhtml%2Fembed-iframe-min.7f33a83d.html

Offline GR66

• Rate Post
Re: PRC Developing A Surface/Sub Warship
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2017, 18:38:16 »
I'd imagine there might be a big advantage of just being able to "porpoise" just under the surface of the water.  No need to have a full pressure hull like a true submarine to travel at depth, but you could reduce your radar cross-section in order to delay detection and when attacked by anti-surface missiles you could dip just below the surface to avoid being hit.  Dealing with something like that would require a whole new class of weapons I'd imagine.

Online tomahawk6

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2017, 22:45:59 »
I'd imagine there might be a big advantage of just being able to "porpoise" just under the surface of the water.  No need to have a full pressure hull like a true submarine to travel at depth, but you could reduce your radar cross-section in order to delay detection and when attacked by anti-surface missiles you could dip just below the surface to avoid being hit.  Dealing with something like that would require a whole new class of weapons I'd imagine.

Great point !!

Online Thucydides

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Freespeecher
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2017, 12:44:21 »
This is exactly how submarines worked up until WWII, essentially small torpedo boats which could slip below the surface prior to creeping up in their targets and attacking. Even WWII era U boats spent most of their time on the surface, although advances in technology greatly improved their underwater performance. Only the development of compact nuclear reactors made submarines truly "submersible". and capable of operating underwater most of the time.

I see this as mostly a way of getting low cost "submarines" by reverting to 1930 era tactics. As a chaser, the USN could bring back blimps as a cost effective means of detecting and fighting this type of ship....
Dagny, this is not a battle over material goods. It's a moral crisis, the greatest the world has ever faced and the last. Our age is the climax of centuries of evil. We must put an end to it, once and for all, or perish - we, the men of the mind. It was our own guilt. We produced the wealth of the world - but we let our enemies write its moral code.

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2017, 10:21:09 »
The French beat them to it

Offline GAP

• Semper Fi
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2017, 10:44:31 »
Thank god that was before sonar....that boat had to be noisy as hell going through the water.....
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I´m not so sure about the universe

Offline Chris Pook

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Wha daur say Mass in ma lug!
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2017, 23:29:15 »

Got to thinking - the counter is out there already.

A thin hull close to the surface means a torpedo and probably a light weight torpedo like the Mk46.

Delivery mechanisms to include LRPAs, any Maritime Helo, and the RUM-139 VL-ASROC.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RUM-139_VL-ASROC
"Wyrd bið ful aræd"

Offline MilEME09

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
"We are called a Battalion, Authorized to be company strength, parade as a platoon, Operating as a section"

Offline Chris Pook

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Wha daur say Mass in ma lug!
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2017, 01:29:14 »
"Wyrd bið ful aræd"