Author Topic: Gulf Cooperation Council member states break off relations with Qatar  (Read 6133 times)

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
Maybe all the ruling heads there can have a sword fight and do each other in.

Offline whiskey601

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
If they follow tradition, they will hire Indian, Palestinian or Pakistani lads to do the slashing and the dying.

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
So...about that big coalition base at Al Udeid...   ???
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
So...about that big coalition base at Al Udeid...   ???
Nooooooooo worries, nothing to see there ...
The U.S. military says diplomatic tensions between Qatar and five other Middle East countries has had "no impact" on coalition operations in the region.

"U.S. military aircraft continue to conduct missions in support of ongoing operations in Iraq, Syria and Afghanistan," Pentagon spokesman Maj. Adrian Rankine-Galloway told VOA on Monday.

"We have no plans to change our posture in Qatar," he added.

He told VOA the United States and the U.S.-led coalition are "grateful" to the Qataris for their "longstanding support" of America's presence and their "enduring commitment to regional security."

In an interview with VOA's sister station, Al-Hurra, Rankine-Galloway said the U.S. military has seen "no impact so far" on operations out of Qatar.

And speaking in Sydney, Australia, Defense Secretary James Mattis insisted the regional tensions will not undermine the fight against Islamic State in the future.

"I am confident there will be no implications," Mattis said.

U.S. officials have encouraged all partners in the region to reduce tensions, and Rankine-Galloway said the U.S. would be "happy to play a role" in getting all sides to the negotiating table.

Defense officials say there are around 80,000 soldiers, sailors, airmen and Marines across the Middle East ...
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Dan M

• Rate Post
  • It's only with age I realize how lucky I've been.
Isn't that rather like the pot calling the kettle black when Saudi Arabia and Yemen break off communications with a nation they claim is supporting terrorism?  Saudi has been financing terrorist groups since the days of Yasser Arafat and the PLO.  Yemen hasn't stopped financing terrorist groups since the Brits left Aden.  Every nation in the Middle East pays off certain groups to leave their oil facilities and pipelines alone.

The question we should be asking is: What is Qatar doing that is forcing the other states to rally against it?  I'll bet its got nothing to do with supporting terrorism.  Maybe Qatar's behind on its protection payments.  Or its backing the Shias instead of the Sunnis?

Cheers,
Dan.
An officer in The Canadian Guards should at all times, by intelligent study, conscientious application to his work and continual observation, seek to make himself so competent, so confident and so correct in all matters connected with the Profession of Arms that if he were to state in the presence of any military audience that "Pigs have wings", he would at once be both understood and believed. The wise officer, of course, will weigh all his statements carefully before he makes them. (ASAG 1960)

Offline Lightguns

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I live for trout and deer
Isn't that rather like the pot calling the kettle black when Saudi Arabia and Yemen break off communications with a nation they claim is supporting terrorism?  Saudi has been financing terrorist groups since the days of Yasser Arafat and the PLO.  Yemen hasn't stopped financing terrorist groups since the Brits left Aden.  Every nation in the Middle East pays off certain groups to leave their oil facilities and pipelines alone.

The question we should be asking is: What is Qatar doing that is forcing the other states to rally against it?  I'll bet its got nothing to do with supporting terrorism.  Maybe Qatar's behind on its protection payments.  Or its backing the Shias instead of the Sunnis?

Cheers,
Dan.

Read the Qatar Wiki page.  Qatar is engaging in general elections, women's suffrage, free press, just to name a few.  There is as much support for terrorist in Qatar as there is in Saudi, it's just the groups each financing. 
Done, 34 years, 43 days complete, got's me damn pension!

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
Read the Qatar Wiki page.  Qatar is engaging in general elections, women's suffrage, free press, just to name a few.  There is as much support for terrorist in Qatar as there is in Saudi, it's just the groups each financing.
Well, not everybody objects to the idea ...
"So good to see the Saudi Arabia visit with the King and 50 countries already paying off. They said they would take a hard line on funding ... extremism, and all reference was pointing to Qatar. Perhaps this will be the beginning of the end to the horror of terrorism!"

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

jollyjacktar

:rofl:

Seeing as SA is getting a pass from the Donald on their crap disturbing,  I'll take a pass on his approval.

Offline Lightguns

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I live for trout and deer
Well, not everybody objects to the idea ...

He's an idiot. 
Done, 34 years, 43 days complete, got's me damn pension!

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
:rofl:

Seeing as SA is getting a pass from the Donald on their crap disturbing,  I'll take a pass on his approval.

Saudi waved a massive arms deal under his nose, money and jobs in the US, they knew he could be bought off for now, what happens when the KSA run out of money to pay for all the toys and a foreign army to man them is the next question.

Offline milnews.ca

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
Re: Gulf Cooperation Council member states break off relations with Qatar
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2017, 09:51:06 »
Seeing as SA is getting a pass from the Donald on their crap disturbing ...
A media video report says POTUS45 may have had a bit of a change of heart ...
President Trump has denied warning Saudi Arabia and the U.A.E. over taking military action against Qatar. Earlier reports suggested the two Gulf States considered removing the regime in the early stages of their dispute ...
More, from an earlier version of the story ...
Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates considered military action in the early stages of their ongoing dispute with Qatar before Donald Trump called leaders of both countries and warned them to back off, according to two people familiar with the U.S. president’s discussions.

The Saudis and Emiratis were looking at ways to remove the Qatari regime, which they accused of sponsoring terrorism and cozying up to Iran, according to the people, who asked not to be identified because the discussions were confidential. Trump told Saudi and U.A.E. leaders that any military action would trigger a crisis across the Middle East that would only benefit Iran, one of the people said.

More recently, the Trump administration has quietly sent high-level messages to Saudi Arabia and the U.A.E. to try to defuse the quarrel. Trump, who initially sided with the Saudi-led bloc, had a change of heart because of evidence that a prolonged dispute with Qatar will serve as an advantage to Iran, according to a U.S. official familiar with his thinking.

Trump met with Qatar’s emir, Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, at the United Nations General Assembly in New York on Tuesday. Asked by a reporter if he had warned Saudi Arabia and the U.A.E. against military action in the country, Trump responded, “No.” At the same meeting, Trump confronted the Qatari leader with what one U.S. official said is evidence that Qatar is still engaged in terrorism-related activity and told him it has to stop.

It wasn’t clear when the conversations on potential military action took place. The Saudis, backed by the U.A.E. and two other regional allies, broke off diplomatic ties with Qatar in early June, imposed an economic embargo and cut transport links. They’ve since issued multiple demands, including the closure of Qatar-based broadcaster Al Jazeera, that haven’t been met. Qatar denies all the accusations and accuses the Saudis of seeking to dominate smaller neighbors.

More recently, the Trump administration has quietly sent high-level messages to Saudi Arabia and the U.A.E. to try to defuse the quarrel. Trump, who initially sided with the Saudi-led bloc, had a change of heart because of evidence that a prolonged dispute with Qatar will serve as an advantage to Iran, according to a U.S. official familiar with his thinking.

Trump met with Qatar’s emir, Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani, at the United Nations General Assembly in New York on Tuesday. Asked by a reporter if he had warned Saudi Arabia and the U.A.E. against military action in the country, Trump responded, “No.” At the same meeting, Trump confronted the Qatari leader with what one U.S. official said is evidence that Qatar is still engaged in terrorism-related activity and told him it has to stop.

It wasn’t clear when the conversations on potential military action took place. The Saudis, backed by the U.A.E. and two other regional allies, broke off diplomatic ties with Qatar in early June, imposed an economic embargo and cut transport links. They’ve since issued multiple demands, including the closure of Qatar-based broadcaster Al Jazeera, that haven’t been met. Qatar denies all the accusations and accuses the Saudis of seeking to dominate smaller neighbors ...
More @ link

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter