Author Topic: Cyber Operator trade Mega Thread  (Read 35241 times)

Offline frokrad

• Rate Post
Re: Cyber Operator trade Mega Thread
« Reply #175 on: December 05, 2017, 21:24:18 »
I think there is a nuance in this discussion that is being missed - the CF does not currently have an offensive cyber capability. From the recent defence policy:

However, a purely defensive cyber posture is no longer sufficient. Accordingly, we will develop the capability to conduct active cyber operations focused on external threats to Canada in the context of government-authorized military missions.

Folks are drawing an analogy between cyber and pilot, SAR, etc, however these are all existing capabilities that are being maintained. These analogies will be more relevant once the CF actually has the capability and is maintaining or growing it.

It is a very different problem to build a capability from scratch which is the problem the CF currently faces with offensive cyber capabilities. While people in the private sector do not engage in cyber warfare, their skills and abilities in many cases will be directly applicable.

The defence policy is pretty explicit about using reserve Cyber Operators to gain access to the skills without the large lead time that comes with developing them internally:

Reservists bring a wealth of experience from their primary occupations that has allowed the Canadian Armed Forces to access in-demand skills and trades such as linguists and cyber professionals that would otherwise take years to develop in the Regular Force

My best guess is that they plan on doing both - recruiting skilled private sector individuals into the Reserves as a stop-gap to gain the capability as quickly as possible while developing the long-term Regular force capability the traditional way. On the surface this appears to be the plan and it will require woo-ing existing talent in industry. For these folks money is likely not going to be a factor since Reserves is part-time and they likely have lucrative full-time employment already. The time commitment and physical fitness requirements seem like they will be more important factors but I am honestly not sure how much of a difference they will make.

Offline CyberFire

• Rate Post
« Reply #176 on: January 30, 2018, 08:45:39 »
epic bearded man,  why would you go and spoil the fun for all the other potential recruits by giving up the answer?   Not cool
"Fight The Networks"

Offline CyberFire

• Rate Post
« Reply #177 on: January 31, 2018, 08:11:06 »
The Cyber Operator (Cyber Op) occupation was officially stood up on 31 January 2017. The first Cyber Op's were identified through a competitive selection process that summer with remuster happening in early fall. At a ceremony held on 3 Nov 17, these “CAF First Cyber Op's” were presented with a "Plank Owner's" certificate recognizing that they are "The Firsts" and have all the bragging right to say so.

Happy Birthday to the Cyber Op occupation and its personnel!!
"Fight The Networks"

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #178 on: January 31, 2018, 09:31:41 »
Break out the T-shirts, bumper stickers and patches.
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline CanadianTire

• Rate Post
« Reply #179 on: January 31, 2018, 14:49:11 »
. At a ceremony held on 3 Nov 17, these “CAF First Cyber Op's” were presented with a "Plank Owner's" certificate recognizing that they are "The Firsts" and have all the bragging right to say so.

And thus none shall mock them for commenting "First" on any Youtube video, Instagram post or Facebook article!
"Theirs not to reason why/Theirs but to do and die." - Tennyson

Offline cyb2b

• Rate Post
« Reply #180 on: February 24, 2018, 17:30:24 »
So now that they've published a nice video complete with high fives and music, does anyone happen to know when the MES will be published (or if it's out already?)

Also, any RUMINT on if they're looking at programs besides Willis College for trg equivalence?

Offline Chad.wiseman

• Rate Post
« Reply #181 on: February 24, 2018, 19:51:16 »
Any idea what locations will be hiring for the cyber operator role?  Also, how much trade training will be required as compared with other roles?

Offline cyb2b

• Rate Post
« Reply #182 on: February 24, 2018, 20:11:50 »
Any idea what locations will be hiring for the cyber operator role?  Also, how much trade training will be required as compared with other roles?

AFAIK they're doing 16 weeks in Kingston, plus a college program in network security (~2 years?) And then there's naturally BMQ and (I imagine) element trg. For Reg Force I think it was mentioned that you'd probably get Ottawa or Kingston, not sure how they're planning for reserves
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 20:15:08 by cyb2b »

Offline CyberFire

• Rate Post
« Reply #183 on: March 03, 2018, 19:46:03 »
cyb2b Where did you get that information from?
"Fight The Networks"

Offline Nuggs

• Rate Post
« Reply #184 on: March 03, 2018, 20:14:49 »
The only location employing Cyber Operators for the foreseeable future will be Ottawa. The unitial trading (QL3 / DP1) will be in Kingston, upon successful completion of a 2 year college diploma (or equivalent).

You'll have to clarify what you mean by other roles. Do you mean in relation to other trades? Or specialities within Cyber?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

"Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy, and the lash."
Attributed to, and denied by, Winston Churchill

Offline Nuggs

• Rate Post
"Don't talk to me about naval tradition. It's nothing but rum, sodomy, and the lash."

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #186 on: March 04, 2018, 08:23:57 »
cyb2b Where did you get that information from?

Recruiting website
https://www.canada.ca/en/department-national-defence/services/caf-jobs/career-options/fields-work/other-specialty-occupations/cyber-operator.html#entry

They don't get to Google until QL5.  I guess.  ;D

Edit:  I added "I guess" so that I'm not accused under the Security of Information Act.   :nod:
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 08:34:57 by Journeyman »

Offline cyb2b

• Rate Post
« Reply #187 on: March 04, 2018, 22:16:48 »

They don't get to Google until QL5.  I guess.  ;D

Edit:  I added "I guess" so that I'm not accused under the Security of Information Act.   :nod:

Pssh, everyone knows the really cool cyber kids will use DuckDuckGo* 8)

*Replace with Bing, if officers present

Offline Neso

• Rate Post
« Reply #188 on: April 19, 2018, 11:42:35 »
Looks like the Cyber Operator recruiting page was updated yesterday to "Now Hiring: we are now accepting applications for this job through direct entry"

Does anyone know if that's true? I thought it was staying in-house for another year or two.

Offline dapaterson

- a scruffy-looking nerf herder.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #189 on: April 19, 2018, 16:42:25 »
Given the length of the recruiting process...
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline Nuggs

• Rate Post
« Reply #190 on: April 19, 2018, 18:28:45 »
I don't work in recruiting. However my current understanding (which may be rumint) is that it is currently open for pre-trained civilians with current or equivalent education (ie 2 year college diploma).

Think partial PLAR and then a delta QL3.

Edit:

actually it's listed on the recruiting site:

Now Hiring: as part of a phased approach to filling Cyber Operator positions within the CAF, we will soon accept applications from individuals who have already completed a CAF-endorsed college program (see the CAF-ACE website for information, or contact your nearest recruiting centre), who are expected to complete such a program by end May 2018, or who are in their first year of such a program.

Future Entry Plan: planning is underway to commence the hiring of candidates who meet the minimum entry standard, no later than summer of 2019. The entry standards will be published by January 2018.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 18:32:28 by Nuggs »

Offline Neso

• Rate Post
« Reply #191 on: April 19, 2018, 20:02:36 »
I don't work in recruiting. However my current understanding (which may be rumint) is that it is currently open for pre-trained civilians with current or equivalent education (ie 2 year college diploma).

Think partial PLAR and then a delta QL3.

Edit:

actually it's listed on the recruiting site:

Now Hiring: as part of a phased approach to filling Cyber Operator positions within the CAF, we will soon accept applications from individuals who have already completed a CAF-endorsed college program (see the CAF-ACE website for information, or contact your nearest recruiting centre), who are expected to complete such a program by end May 2018, or who are in their first year of such a program.

Future Entry Plan: planning is underway to commence the hiring of candidates who meet the minimum entry standard, no later than summer of 2019. The entry standards will be published by January 2018.

Yeah just asking because it specifically refers to now hiring via Direct Entry at the top of the page but goes on to say "soon" accepting DE like you mentioned. I don't have a horse in the race either way, bit of a mixed message though.

Offline Vitech

• Rate Post
« Reply #192 on: September 15, 2018, 22:30:37 »
Is it possible for civilians who have not completed an approved college course to apply to cyber yet? If not is there anything I can do now to make the application process easier / quicker when it does open? Any information about additional testing beyond CFAT that I can prepare for? I’ve been studying security for a long time but I’m hoping for something specific about testing.

Offline Nuggs

• Rate Post
« Reply #193 on: September 15, 2018, 23:24:05 »
I would contact recruitment

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk