Author Topic: motorcycle license through the CAF?  (Read 3255 times)

Offline zoephie2011

• Rate Post
motorcycle license through the CAF?
« on: July 05, 2017, 09:15:50 »
Morning,

Is it true you can get your motorcycle license through the CAF? If so (having just finished St-Jean) who do I call?

Thank you!

Offline ModlrMike

: Riding time again... woohooo!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Canadian Association of Physician Assistants
Re: motorcycle license through the CAF?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 11:13:29 »
I have never heard of such a thing, which is not to say you can't. While there is a dispatch rider's course, the chances of getting one are quite slim. I suggest that if you want your motorcycle license you sign up for a recognized motorcycle safety course, and then get your civilian permit. The DND 404 (driver's permit) allows one to drive military vehicles anywhere in the country. You do not need a concurrent civilian permit, unless you are driving a civilian vehicle (think rental).
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. (H.L. Mencken 1919)
Zero tolerance is the politics of the lazy. All it requires is that you do nothing and ban everything.

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2017, 11:26:43 »
Is it true you can get your motorcycle license through the CAF?

See also,

Ontario to recognize military driver’s permits for equivalence 
https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:JBjeFH3z7YwJ:https://army.ca/forums/index.php%3Ftopic%3D119691.0+&cd=4&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca

"A resident of Ontario who applies for a Class A, C, D, F or G driver’s licence and, if applicable, an air brake endorsement..."

I believe motorcycle is Class M.
http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/handbook/motorcycles/section1-4-1.shtml

Offline Kat Stevens

Quando omni flunkus moritati.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • that's how we roll in redneck land
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2017, 11:51:41 »
If I remember right, once upon a time when engineers dwelled in Chilliwack and were happy, base MSE Safety used to bring in civ instructors once or twice a year and run the riders safety course, which included a road test at the end. Other than that DR was the only other way, and bonne chance getting that since the fall of CFE.
Apparently, a "USUAL SUSPECT"

“In peace there's nothing so becomes a man as modest stillness and humility; but when the blast of war blows in our ears, then imitate the action of the tiger; stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with hard-favor'd rage.”

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and start slitting throats

Offline Tcm621

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2017, 14:03:24 »
The CFB Esquimalt motorcycle club used to run courses once or twice a year, but that was years ago and it was organized by the club not the military.

Offline zoephie2011

• Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2017, 16:56:33 »
Thank you guys! I had a feeling it was too good to be true so thank you for clarifying my suspicions.

Offline Happy Guy

• Rate Post
  • Retirement is just around the corner!
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2017, 20:36:37 »
CFB Calgary used to do the same thing.  That is how I got my motorcycle licence.

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Non-Electric Pop-Up Target
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2017, 22:04:15 »
Most of our LSVWs only have two wheels left. If you get your 404s they may be convertible.
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline tomahawk6

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2017, 23:39:24 »
Maybe you could get a commercial drivers license through the CAF.

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2017, 23:52:29 »
Maybe you could get a commercial drivers license through the CAF.

June 22, 2015

TORONTO, Ont. — Beginning in July, the province of Ontario will recognize Department of National Defence (DND) 404 driver’s permits, allowing such licence-holders to more easily transition into the private sector and commercial driving jobs.
https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:JBjeFH3z7YwJ:https://army.ca/forums/index.php%3Ftopic%3D119691.0+&cd=4&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca

« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 08:23:25 by mariomike »