Author Topic: Space Operations Course  (Read 2178 times)

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
Space Operations Course
« on: July 10, 2017, 13:25:17 »
Has anyone done the Space Ops Course (formerly Advanced Space Ops Course) lately?  The course blurb on the msg and at the school states this:

"THIS CRSE IS DESIGNED TO PREPARE CF PERSONNEL WITH LIMITED OR NO
SPACE EDUCATION FOR EMPLOYMENT IN SPACE-RELATED CF POSITIONS IN
CANADA AND ABROAD."

My question is - once successfully completed, do you end up on a short list for, or shifted to, a Space position?  Or is it simply that all Space positions require this course?  A posting to southern California looks awesome; North Dakota, less so.   :-\

Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

Offline ACE_Engineer

• Rate Post
Re: Space Operations Course
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2018, 01:01:33 »
Hey, I would like to learn more about this Space Ops Course. I work in the space industry, and have recently applied to the reserves. Is there any information anyone could share?

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2018, 01:28:38 »
"BSOC is a Distance Learning course for CAF Officer and NCM’s professional development. BSOC is also a prerequisite for the Space Operations Course (SOC) which is a requirement for members entering into a space position abroad or within Canada."

The BSOC (Basic Space Operations Course) is available only to serving members (access to the Defence Learning Network is required) with a priority for certain trades.  Once you are in, and thru BMQ at the very least, you might be able to get some more info.  I did the course earlier this year but, I can't pass on much info to other that what I've said about "pass BMQ, and then ask some questions about it".
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 01:31:42 by Eye In The Sky »
Do I love my job?  No.

But does it afford me the ability to go on lavish vacations and buy anything I want?  Also no.

Offline Guy Incognito

• Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2018, 18:41:51 »
My question is - once successfully completed, do you end up on a short list for, or shifted to, a Space position?  Or is it simply that all Space positions require this course?  A posting to southern California looks awesome; North Dakota, less so.

Most CAF space positions require the course, though the course is not a prerequisite to be selected for a space position. If you're selected for a space position, you'll be priority loaded onto the course. The remaining course slots are open on a space-available basis with priority to trades likely to be involved in space ops (ACSO, AEC, AC Op, ATIS, etc).

Cavalier doesn't sound so bad... as long as you're a Jets fan :P Among the people I know who went there, they either didn't want to leave, or couldn't wait to leave.