Author Topic: "These 9 maps show where Canada’s illegal drugs are coming from"  (Read 1601 times)

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
Or at least where CBSA said they were coming from in 2016 - globalnews.ca source article

“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline Lumber

• Donor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: "These 9 maps show where Canada’s illegal drugs are coming from"
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2017, 09:35:08 »
I'm surprised Afghanistan isn't on the list of Heroin.

Or, are these just "transit" countries, and not "production" countries?

Also, who grows all the legal opium for all those opioids we're swallowing?
"Aboard his ship, there is nothing outside a captain's control." - Captain Sir Edward Pellew

“Extremes to the right and to the left of any political dispute are always wrong.”
― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Death before dishonour! Nothing before coffee!

Offline Oldgateboatdriver

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2017, 09:41:13 »
I am surprized that "maritime commercial" is not mentioned anywhere as a smuggling mode considering (1) the number of busts carried out on containers in various harbours and (2) just how hard organized crime works at getting stevedores on their side or their own people in as stevedores.

Offline 7thghoul

• Rate Post
  • CF Applicant
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2017, 10:19:35 »
Ahaha oh global. 1st off, who the hell in this country is doing Khat? I've never heard of it being sold, bought, or otherwise a problem of some kind. Best guess would be immigrants? Is there no variable in these for domestic growth/synthesis of these drugs in this report? It's fairly obvious that things like Marijuana and Meth are mostly created in Canada not imported. And, like my friend here OldGateBoatDriver has said they completely left out sea shipping/smuggling. I have a buddy who works as a longshoreman here in Vancouver and he's told me that a lot of his co-workers are guys who belong to a certain group of "motorcycle enthusiasts".

http://nationalpost.com/news/metro-vancouver-docks-special-investigation-768024/wcm/8668e850-20a3-4f38-a1b9-db95c395a832

Global news is weird.
Recruiting Centre: New Westminister, BC
Regular/ Reserve: Reg
Officer/NCM: NCM
Trade Choice 1: ACISS
Trade Choice 2: V-Tech
Trade Choice 3: Infantry
Online Application: June 16th 2017
First Contact: June 22nd 2017
CFAT: July 18th 2017 (Passed)
Pre-Sec Clearance: -
Medical: -
Interview: -
Position offered: -
Swearing in: -
BMQ: -

Offline Brihard

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Non-Electric Pop-Up Target
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2017, 10:52:30 »
Still lots of Khat being trafficked and used in Canada. Just google "canada khat seized" and you'll find plenty of news stories. Not that it's close to the biggest problem out there, obviously.
Pacificsm is doctrine fostered by a delusional minority and by the media, which holds forth the proposition it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2017, 12:16:08 »
Khat would be the drug of choice for a particular ethnic group, not much interest outside of it though

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2017, 13:07:36 »
I am surprized that "maritime commercial" is not mentioned anywhere as a smuggling mode ...
... they completely left out sea shipping/smuggling ...
One possible explanation:  the news outlet only showed the top two modes for each drug.  The story itself does mention some marine activity ...
... “Seizures from 2010 until 2015 have remained relatively stable ranging from 300 to 420, and quantities have hovered around 1,000 kg,” the CBSA document said. In 2014, the quantity of cocaine seized spiked to more than 2,300 kilograms thanks to five large marine busts ...
<personal hobby horse>That's why it would be nice for media outlets to share documents they obtain via access to information laws to allow people to see the raw data.</personal hobby horse>
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

Offline recceguy

A Usual Suspect.

• At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats. -P.J. O’Rouke-
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • doddering docent to the museum of misanthropy
    • Army.ca
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2017, 16:39:14 »
That's why it would be nice for media outlets to share documents they obtain via access to information laws to allow people to see the raw data.</personal hobby horse>

That would mean the MSM would actually be doing their job, for a change, and not driving their own personal or corporate agenda, as they are so prone to do nowadays.
“I am a Canadian, free to speak without fear, free to worship in my own way, free to stand for what I think right, free to oppose what I believe wrong, or free to choose those who shall govern my country. This heritage of freedom I pledge to uphold for myself and all mankind.”

John G. Diefenbaker