Author Topic: In Praise of Failure  (Read 6152 times)

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
Re: In Praise of Failure
« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2018, 12:29:08 »
But if they're doing wargaming, who's going to fill out the quarterly reports & returns on completion rates for WHMIS 2015 training?  How will they ensure 100% compliance with WHMIS 2015?  How can we go to war if we don't have WHMIS 2015?
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline Halifax Tar

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ready Aye Ready
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2018, 12:54:43 »
But if they're doing wargaming, who's going to fill out the quarterly reports & returns on completion rates for WHMIS 2015 training?  How will they ensure 100% compliance with WHMIS 2015?  How can we go to war if we don't have WHMIS 2015?

How can we fight a battle if my KPI statistics are all askew ?

I am with you.  Even as a supporter I can admit we have lost sight and sounding of the end state.
Lead me, follow me or get the hell out of my way

Offline pbi

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2018, 17:40:34 »
Wargaming (or "table top exercise" in milspeak) is a tool we don't use enough, but it is simple and cheap enough to provide a lot of space for "sets and reps."  A Brigade staff could go through its planning drills once a week with a good table top wargame.

http://www.chacr.org.uk/docs/CKPDF.pdf

With you 100% on that. The wargame (which can be as simple or as complicated as you need it to be) is such a powerful tool, and sadly so often neglected, or conducted in such a rushed, watered-down form as to be almost useless.

IMHO a plan is just a piece of paper until you run a good wargame on it. Then, when you have the "Aha!" moments (or the Holy *** moments) is when you can really envision it properly. If you have to cut some part of your planning process, don't cut the wargame.
The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools. ...

The true measure of a man is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out...

Offline Hamish Seggie

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • This is my son Michael, KIA Afghanistan 3 Sep 08
« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2018, 19:13:28 »
In 1996 our company deployed to Fort Polk LA to the JRTC.

Our first mission in the box - we got our asses handed to us.
The second one was better.
The third one we took our asses back.
Freedom Isn't Free   "Never Shall I Fail My Brothers"

“Do everything that is necessary and nothing that is not".

Offline pbi

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2018, 11:31:02 »
In 1996 our company deployed to Fort Polk LA to the JRTC.

Our first mission in the box - we got our asses handed to us.
The second one was better.
The third one we took our asses back.
Exactly.
The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools. ...

The true measure of a man is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out...