Author Topic: Egypt has AA on their new Mistrals  (Read 2190 times)

Offline Spencer100

• Rate Post
Egypt has AA on their new Mistrals
« on: September 26, 2017, 14:08:33 »
I so wish I knew know to post this pic! 

Well the Egyptians figured out how to give their Mistrals AA defence.   Don't wish we had gotten them lol!

http://www.wearethemighty.com/articles/egypt-pulls-a-perfect-macgyver-move-to-defend-its-ships-from-air-attack

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
Re: Egypt has AA on their new Mistrals
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 14:30:25 »
Far to simple a solution and just imagine the number of empires that would offend.

Offline Oldgateboatdriver

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 16:35:22 »
Don't understand what you guys are on about.

Been there! Done that!

For Gulf War I, Canada acquired some Javelin man portable AA missiles, trained some soldiers to use them (switched them from Blowpipes to javelins) and they deployed a small team one each of the three ships of the CTF that deployed for supplementary AA defence.

What's the big deal?

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 16:46:59 »
I think many folks here have an emotional attachment to the Mistrals... though I can't imagine why.
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 17:06:33 »
The defensive suite was the main issue I had with them, but as shown that can be dealt with. I would add 2-4 25mm guns for close in anti-boat defense and some chaff and anti missile defenses.

Offline E.R. Campbell

• Retired, years ago
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2017, 19:26:12 »
Don't understand what you guys are on about.

Been there! Done that!

For Gulf War I, Canada acquired some Javelin man portable AA missiles, trained some soldiers to use them (switched them from Blowpipes to javelins) and they deployed a small team one each of the three ships of the CTF that deployed for supplementary AA defence.

What's the big deal?

The "big deal" was that the "fit" was an electro-magnetic compatibility (EMC) nightmare. There was a long convoluted procedure in place to shut down this, retune that, and sacrifice a goat and three doves before firing up one of the Army missiles ... thank all the gods there was never any need.
It is ill that men should kill one another in seditions, tumults and wars; but it is worse to bring nations to such misery, weakness and baseness
as to have neither strength nor courage to contend for anything; to have nothing left worth defending and to give the name of peace to desolation.
Algernon Sidney in Discourses Concerning Government, (1698)
----------
Like what you see/read here on Army.ca?  Subscribe, and help keep it "on the air!"

Offline SeaKingTacco

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Door Gunnery- The Sport of Kings!
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2017, 22:57:18 »

The "big deal" was that the "fit" was an electro-magnetic compatibility (EMC) nightmare. There was a long convoluted procedure in place to shut down this, retune that, and sacrifice a goat and three doves before firing up one of the Army missiles ... thank all the gods there was never any need.

Are you speaking about the Javelin fit on Canadian ships? IIRC, there were some early concerns, but in practice, EMC was not a big deal. The bigger deal was allowing people to routinely stand/operate in parts of the ship that were in close proximity to emitters. That was the hard part.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2017, 23:02:17 »
Better than nothing but...its still just an enhanced MANPAD system really. 
Pilot, RADAR...turn right, heading...3-6-5...

Offline medicineman

• Well stuck into my new job and thoroughly enjoying it.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • In Arduis Fidelis
    • Fed By The Firehose
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2017, 23:06:14 »
I was wondering what the Egyptian Navy needed with Alcoholics Anonymous on board their ships..long week.

MM
MM

Remember the basics of Medicine - "Pink is GOOD, Blue is BAD, Air goes in AND out, Blood Goes Round and Round"

I may sound like a pessimist, but I am a realist.