Author Topic: Coat of Many Colours Parades gone?  (Read 8318 times)

Offline FSTO

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Coat of Many Colours Parades gone?
« on: October 02, 2017, 22:57:01 »
I know that many on this site are so operationally focused that their poop is camo coloured  ;D. But I liked the move made today at the GG investiture. The royal guard of honour had a division of Army, a division of RCAF and the flag party was all sailors. That looked very sharp. I'm sure that positions will rotate among the 3 traditional elements. (but what of CANSOF? Me thinks they have better things to do).

Now if we can just get the RCN officers to hook up their damn scabbards, swing their left arm and get rid of the white gloves all will be good.  :nod:

Offline Mike5

• Rate Post
Re: Coat of Many Colours Parades gone?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 10:18:13 »
Any pictures?
Velox Versutus Vigilans

Offline E.R. Campbell

• Retired, years ago
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2017, 10:30:11 »
See below ... you can see the RCN colour party and the RCAF guard.
It is ill that men should kill one another in seditions, tumults and wars; but it is worse to bring nations to such misery, weakness and baseness
as to have neither strength nor courage to contend for anything; to have nothing left worth defending and to give the name of peace to desolation.
Algernon Sidney in Discourses Concerning Government, (1698)
----------
Like what you see/read here on Army.ca?  Subscribe, and help keep it "on the air!"

Offline Oldgateboatdriver

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2017, 10:49:21 »
Yep! You can tell it's a RCAF guard: The front rank is not sized properly! Double dip to shortest member  [:D

Neither the Army nor the RCN would make that mistake.   ;)

Offline milnews.ca

• Info Curator, Baker & Food Slut
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Relic
  • Rate Post
    • MILNEWS.ca-Military News for Canadians
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2017, 11:33:24 »
Yep! You can tell it's a RCAF guard: The front rank is not sized properly! Double dip to shortest member  [:D

To be fair to the junior service, could the furthest-away "dip" be a supernumary NCO/officer position of some sort, as opposed to the rest of the front rank?
“The risk of insult is the price of clarity.” -- Roy H. Williams

The words I share here are my own, not those of anyone else or anybody I may be affiliated with.

Tony Prudori
MILNEWS.ca - Twitter

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2017, 12:06:16 »
Yes, but still double dip.

Assuming the member closest to the colours is the NCO, we would have, starting at the colours, and in relation to the member on their right:

NCO, Marker, shorter mbr., shorter (and shortest actually), taller (we only see the mgr's chin), taller, equal, shorter, shorter, shorter, taller, taller, etc.

Offline dapaterson

Mostly Harmless.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2017, 13:13:51 »
In fact, in NDHQ, the RCN has been doing the Colour Party for a long time.  An intelligent sailor noted that there are far, far fewer positions to worry about if you're tasked with that; let the CA and RCAF worry about the bigger numbers*.

(* In fact, all positions in such guards are sourced from far & wide in NDHQ, and not only the three ECSes.  A quick review of cap badges show that the guards are composite groups pulled from many, many different places.)
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline FSTO

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2017, 13:25:24 »
In fact, in NDHQ, the RCN has been doing the Colour Party for a long time.  An intelligent sailor noted that there are far, far fewer positions to worry about if you're tasked with that; let the CA and RCAF worry about the bigger numbers*.

(* In fact, all positions in such guards are sourced from far & wide in NDHQ, and not only the three ECSes.  A quick review of cap badges show that the guards are composite groups pulled from many, many different places.)

True. Cap tallies, beret and wallet badges were all over the place.
I'm just happy that uniform colour in each division and the Flag Party were well, uniform! ;D

Online Blackadder1916

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2017, 13:27:21 »

Nope, it's not an RCAF guard, nor a Canadian Army guard nor a colour party provided by the RCN.  It was a bog standard Guard of Honour mounted by the Canadian Armed Forces and formed in review order as per the applicable drill manual.  And I don't even have to see any parade order to know the make up:

2. A 100-person royal or state guard of honour
is composed of:

a. one major;
b. two captains or lieutenants;
c. one master warrant officer;
d. one warrant officer;
e. two sergeants; (though there were a number of extra sergeants taking the place of C/Ps)
f. 96 corporals/privates.

6. The guard shall form up in two divisions, as
per company drill (Figure 10-2-1). The warrant and
senior non-commissioned officers shall take posts in
order of seniority as the:
a. right marker;
b. left marker;
c. right marker of the left division;
d. left marker of the right division.

There are no supernumeraries in a guard.

As for the sizing and blaming it on an "air force" attitude, if you look at the video of the parade, the guard MWO was in an army uniform.  It would have been his responsibility to form the guard and then hand it over to guard commander.  So if any service is to blame for laxity, it was the army.  But really, looking at the command badges (if any worn) and formation patches (very few on army uniforms) it seems the majority of pers on parade were from organizations other than the commands known as RCN, Cdn Army and RCAF, therefore an appropriate NDHQ mob, whose turn-out and performance was respectable.

But then, it has now (with this installation of GG) become a tradition to pick apart the guard.
Whisky for the gentlemen that like it. And for the gentlemen that don't like it - Whisky.

Offline dapaterson

Mostly Harmless.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2017, 13:34:17 »
I'm just happy that uniform colour in each division and the Flag Party were well, uniform! ;D

Given who the PM is, I would have thought that the guards would be more, well, joint.
 [Xp
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2017, 13:53:48 »
If the book is to be believed, then the parade was improperly led, Blackadder, because I didn't see any major there ... at all!!!  ;D

Offline E.R. Campbell

• Retired, years ago
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2017, 14:53:32 »
And two more pics showing the green part of the guard ...
It is ill that men should kill one another in seditions, tumults and wars; but it is worse to bring nations to such misery, weakness and baseness
as to have neither strength nor courage to contend for anything; to have nothing left worth defending and to give the name of peace to desolation.
Algernon Sidney in Discourses Concerning Government, (1698)
----------
Like what you see/read here on Army.ca?  Subscribe, and help keep it "on the air!"

Offline FJAG

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ex Gladio Justicia
    • WordPress Page
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2017, 15:12:32 »
I've always liked the look of the German Armed Forces Wachbataillon (Guard Battalion) which is used for numerous ceremonial occasions has a number of companies but always parades with a band, colour guard and a small company each of army, air force and navy personnel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROuBL0ahXRQ

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wachbataillon

:cheers:
Illegitimi non carborundum
Semper debeatis percutis ictu primo
Access my "Allies" book series at:
https://wolfriedel.wordpress.com

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2017, 20:38:35 »
I've always liked the look of the German Armed Forces Wachbataillon (Guard Battalion) which is used for numerous ceremonial occasions has a number of companies but always parades with a band, colour guard and a small company each of army, air force and navy personnel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROuBL0ahXRQ

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wachbataillon

:cheers:

Well, what they do would definitely solve the different DEU issue.

The soldiers of the Wachbataillon are from all three German Armed Services (i.e. Army, Navy and Air Force) and have the uniforms from all forces at their disposal to be able to perform any drill mission on every occasion. Green berets are used for Army uniform, the (dark) blue beret for Air Force and the Navy wears traditionally the sailor suit (Matrosenanzug). The beret badge for Army and Air Force uniform shows the letter "W" as an abbreviation for Wachbataillon.
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

Offline Mike5

• Rate Post
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2017, 10:21:25 »
I'd like to see more of this, it looks smart
Velox Versutus Vigilans

Offline Rifleman62

Retired.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2017, 11:03:29 »

A long time for the Guard to be at "The Present". Are they using the old WW2 Rifle? The Band Master did a left about turn. Is that what their drill is? Great video and music. Thanks for posting the links.
Never Congratulate Yourself In Victory, Nor Blame Your Horses In Defeat - Old Cossack Expression

jollyjacktar

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2017, 11:18:18 »
A long time for the Guard to be at "The Present". Are they using the old WW2 Rifle? The Band Master did a left about turn. Is that what their drill is? Great video and music. Thanks for posting the links.

I watched the Naval elements take part in Fortissimo 2017 on Parliament Hill in July.  They are carrying Mauser K98s.

Offline Tango2Bravo

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • All your base are belong to us.
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2017, 11:50:20 »
Please, nobody think that we need to stand up another ceremonial unit!
Well-trained, older Panzer crews are the decisive factor for success...It is preferable to start off with fewer Panzers than to set out with young crews who lack combat experience.

- Verbal report of Gen Balck 1943

Offline Infanteer

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • Honey Badger FTW!
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2017, 12:08:06 »
No kidding.  We have one, and they all wear the same red outfits....
"Overall it appears that much of the apparent complexity of modern war stems in practice from the self-imposed complexity of modern HQs" LCol J.P. Storr

jollyjacktar

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2017, 12:12:40 »
But they're not the guys being tasked, ad nauseam, to provide Guards of Honour personnel in the NCR.

Offline Tango2Bravo

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • All your base are belong to us.
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2017, 12:24:04 »
But they're not the guys being tasked, ad nauseam, to provide Guards of Honour personnel in the NCR.

So the answer is to set up a 100 man unit whose primary job would be to provide opportunities for floppers on the internet to criticize their dress, drill and deportment?

By the Power of Greyskull I say no thanks!
Well-trained, older Panzer crews are the decisive factor for success...It is preferable to start off with fewer Panzers than to set out with young crews who lack combat experience.

- Verbal report of Gen Balck 1943

Offline dapaterson

Mostly Harmless.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2017, 12:37:43 »

We have three (plus one) such units.

The GGFG (Ottawa); the GGHG (Toronto); the CGG (Montreal); plus 30 Fd Regt RCA (Ottawa) fires salutes.

Online Blackadder1916

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2017, 13:50:18 »

Well, not on a fulltime basis, but if we only allow ceremonies or visits from dignitaries during the summer then we're good to go.  However, we used to have a reg force unit that did that sort of thing.

http://www.canadianguards.ca/JFK%20Guard%20of%20Honour.wmv

And even for installation of a governor general.

Whisky for the gentlemen that like it. And for the gentlemen that don't like it - Whisky.

Offline Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2017, 14:30:42 »
Two of the Guard Regiments were at Rideau Hall to receive the new gg  with a 100 man guard that day.  Can't be in two places at once I guess.

Optio

jollyjacktar

« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2017, 14:40:51 »
So the answer is to set up a 100 man unit whose primary job would be to provide opportunities for floppers on the internet to criticize their dress, drill and deportment?

By the Power of Greyskull I say no thanks!

I'm just saying that we're getting tasked on a fairly regular basis to provide X many ranks in such and such DEU.  It does pull you away from your job for several days at a time, which means you're not doing what you were sent here to the NCR to do. 

Unless you're in the cell that orchrastrates these parades.  I do feel for these poor bastards as they may be fulfilling their primary function here but it seems almost non stop for them. 

At my rank/colour in my unit l can honestly count the numbers of us on one hand.  We can be in high demand at times.  I've had two major parades in the past month.  They're hitting everyone hard, Reg and Res.  At times l wish l could call on the power of Greyskull myself.