Author Topic: 12 months for determination?  (Read 6256 times)

Offline tree hugger

• Hug a Betula allegeniensis.
  • Rate Post
12 months for determination?
« on: November 08, 2017, 11:50:12 »
Last week I brought my dad into VAC to start a disability claim.  This was a big step as I could never convince him to go in before.  We filled out all the paperwork but was informed the wait period would most likely be 12 months.   :o
My dad is a 70 yo, former career corporal, super crusty and if he had of known about the length of time, he never would have filled out the paperwork. 
Does anyone have first hand knowledge of wait times for older guys that have put in for award?  I'd hate to see it take that long.    :(
Always behave like a duck.   Remain cool and unruffled on the surface but paddle like the dickens underneath.

Offline meni0n

• Rate Post
  • Soldier of leisure
Re: 12 months for determination?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 19:36:12 »
That's weird, I just did a reassessment and I was told it will be approx 4 months, depending on the case load. Last year, one claim took a few months and another took a whole 12 months, so I don't think there is any consistency at all.

Offline HappyWithYourHacky

• Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2017, 20:29:38 »
Im at 7 months and still on step 1 for multiple claims. I've heard a multitude of different wait times so you never know. Good luck!

Offline ff149

• Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2017, 20:57:02 »
My Case Manager just this week told me a minimum of 12 months before I hear anything.

Offline tree hugger

• Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2017, 07:17:09 »
I'm also curious how long it takes for them to dig out med records from a guy that retired in 1995...
Always behave like a duck.   Remain cool and unruffled on the surface but paddle like the dickens underneath.

Offline AirDet

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 19:21:33 »
You know, every case is different. I had 2 take over 1.5 years. I've also had 2 go right to step 3 in a month. Mind you they've been at step 3 for over 4 months.
All that to say, I think it depends on how fast they get the data they need and who gets your file at stage 3.

Things do appear to be improving... slowly.
Just because an opinion differs doesn't make it any less valid. Remember those who gave their ALL to guarantee freedom of speech.

Offline kratz

Fall: Sweater Weather.

• Float, Move, Fight
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2017, 11:33:30 »
Yesterday, I received a  phone call ahead of the official letter. 10 months from submitting three claims to finalizing stage 3.
Quote from: Pipe *General Call*
"Tanning Stations on the flight deck"

Remember, this site is unofficial and privately owned. The site benefits from the presence of current members willing to answer questions.

Offline meni0n

• Rate Post
  • Soldier of leisure
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2017, 15:54:15 »
Hopefully it was good news. I never got a phone call for the two claims I had approved. I'm into week 8 for my reassessment stage 3.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

Offline 57Chevy

widower.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2017, 18:44:52 »
I was pensioned in 2004 so the grandfather clause applies to me.

I asked for a reassessment of my neck in March of this year. I phoned them a couple of times now and they
told me that it's at stage 3 level at this moment but there is a huge backload, so I should be getting an answer
in a few months or less.

My pension increased with the rate of inflation over the years.

The question is; do they raise the pension in my case or would it be lump sum ?

Offline meni0n

• Rate Post
  • Soldier of leisure
« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2017, 19:23:23 »
When did your reassessment move into stage 3? I was hoping to get an answer in 4-5 months.

Offline Rifleman62

Retired.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2017, 19:50:23 »
A reassessment under the old Act would mean an increase in your pension. Same as a consequential award i.e. a  broken foot that becomes arthritic.

But, you will not know for sure until judgement day, VAC being VAC.
Never Congratulate Yourself In Victory, Nor Blame Your Horses In Defeat - Old Cossack Expression

Offline HappyWithYourHacky

• Rate Post

Offline 57Chevy

widower.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2017, 04:19:05 »
When did your reassessment move into stage 3? I was hoping to get an answer in 4-5 months.
I don't know, I didn't ask

Offline 57Chevy

widower.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2017, 04:21:21 »
A reassessment under the old Act would mean an increase in your pension. Same as a consequential award i.e. a  broken foot that becomes arthritic.

The increase, if any, will be just fine with me.

Offline tree hugger

• Rate Post
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2017, 07:20:05 »
I got my father in to VAC and we filled out all the paperwork.  He has since received in the mail a form to have his family doctor fill out.  Problem is, Dad never addressed his issue with civilian doctors since his release in 1995.  He's never been a go to the doctor guy and he never brought up his injury with civi doctors; he just dealt with it.  Since his retirement, he has had more pressing medical concerns to worry about. 
He even thinks his civi doctor will refuse to do the paperwork.  Not sure where to go from here.

Offline Rifleman62

Retired.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2017, 08:33:24 »
The VAC forms that are required to be completed by a medical practitioner ( be it a MD/Physio Therapist/etc) that I have seen are multi page and extensive. Don't know if there are different form sets for different classifications of ailments/injury or just a generic set of forms. My civilian MD refuses to fill them out. He does not have the time or the inclination. VAC pays, I believe $250 to the MD to fill out their forms.

I would suggest that you get from Ottawa his med records or if you have them take to the MD. You should go through the med docs and highlight with highlighter and page markers everything to do with his injury from start, follow up through his service to his release med. That way it will be easy for the Doctor to follow the progression and fill out the forms. Back up the report with recent medical tests/X-rays/etc. Verify and inform the Doctor he can bill VAC for his report.

If you do not have your Dad's med docs and cant't wait, write out all the details about the injury, follows ups by military medical pers, subsequent/consequential medical problems i.e. constant pain/lack of mobility/etc.

If his MD refuses to fill out the VAC paperwork, does you Mother/Sister/Brother/etc have a MD you can approach? Or try a Walk In.

P.S. Once his claim is approved, VAC will pay for medications (saves the 20% deductible from Sun Life), Physo/Massage treatments, aids to daily living ( e.g. a grab bar in a shower, wheelchair) that is related to the condition.

Also the VIP program could be of assistance:  "The Veterans Independence Program (VIP) helps you remain independent and self-sufficient in your home and your community. Depending on your circumstances and health needs you may qualify for financial assistance to obtain services such as grounds maintenance; housekeeping; personal care; access to nutrition; health and support services provided by a health professional".

A successful claim is important to a survivor (your Mother??) as she would get a Survivors Award and get VIP after you Dad is gone.

Benefits and Services - Programs of Choice (POC) - http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/services/health/treatment-benefits/poc

Veterans Independence Program - http://www.veterans.gc.ca/eng/services/health/veterans-independence-program
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 09:10:43 by Rifleman62 »
Never Congratulate Yourself In Victory, Nor Blame Your Horses In Defeat - Old Cossack Expression

Offline 57Chevy

widower.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2018, 19:32:42 »
I asked for a reassessment of my neck in March of this year.

....and that is how long it took to complete the reassessment.

Offline ff149

• Rate Post
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2018, 20:17:44 »
I had an assessment done in September and had everything submitted. Received word from VAC that they didn't get anything from the clinic. I had the clinic re submit everything in December, got confirmation from my case manager that they received it on the 15th, and then a note on the 19th that they had everything they needed. On the 27th they said that it was at step 3. Then just last week I got a note that a decision had been made and something would be in the mail. Canada Post was so slow I got the electronic downloads from VAC before I've received the paper copy. Just goes to show that they can move quickly, although mine was flagged as a priority I guess.

Offline AirDet

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2018, 11:53:41 »
FYI

Email received from VAC today, " Adjudication is currently processing claims dated November 2016. "

By my calculation that puts them at 14 months behind and that's from the time the app is moved to step 3.

They must be paid by the hour instead of a performance based model. (Joking!!! ... kind of.)  :facepalm:
Just because an opinion differs doesn't make it any less valid. Remember those who gave their ALL to guarantee freedom of speech.

Offline AirDet

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2018, 10:21:37 »
Update on the processing queue... as of today VAC's oldest Disability Applications they are working on are from January 2017. So a 14 month processing wait for the majority of applicants.

:facepalm:

Offline meni0n

• Rate Post
  • Soldier of leisure
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2018, 15:31:56 »
My reassessment date is Nov 2016 but documents didn't make it to VAC until October 17. I hope this doesn't take a year like my last application.

Offline AirDet

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2018, 19:29:56 »
My reassessment date is Nov 2016 but documents didn't make it to VAC until October 17. I hope this doesn't take a year like my last application.

Keep your fingers crossed but don't start counting on it. They say they're moving to shorten the wait times but the number of VAC employees has declined significantly according to their latest stats. That includes the re-opening and manning those field offices. Something doesn't add up.

Offline Tcm621

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2018, 20:46:38 »
Keep your fingers crossed but don't start counting on it. They say they're moving to shorten the wait times but the number of VAC employees has declined significantly according to their latest stats. That includes the re-opening and manning those field offices. Something doesn't add up.

I sent the ombudsman's office and email about that and have received no response. He should be all over that. The CAF ombudsman seems to be doing a better job advocating for Veterans than the Vets ombudsman.

Offline meni0n

• Rate Post
  • Soldier of leisure
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2018, 11:35:29 »
I filed a complaint about slow processing time with the ombudsman about a month ago and didn't receive a letter acknowledging the complaint. A year ago I got one within two weeks.

Offline Rifleman62

Retired.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2018, 12:52:01 »
Slow processing time from VAC Ombudsman due to staff shortage to answer the increasing number of complaints re VAC slow processing time due to staff shortages. ;D