Author Topic: Auditor General Suggests RMC Not Working  (Read 31949 times)

Offline Lumber

• Donor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Auditor General Suggests RMC Not Working
« Reply #50 on: November 22, 2017, 15:41:22 »
Not faster.  DEO remains much faster from enrol to OFP.

Ugh, yea, but, DEO officers are the worst! At least for the first few months/years...
"Aboard his ship, there is nothing outside a captain's control." - Captain Sir Edward Pellew

“Extremes to the right and to the left of any political dispute are always wrong.”
― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Death before dishonour! Nothing before coffee!

Offline Humphrey Bogart

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #51 on: November 22, 2017, 15:52:06 »
All of this talking and I get the feeling JM was right, this has about as much traction as he thought.  Three articles on the news and not a peep more  ;D

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #52 on: November 22, 2017, 16:40:48 »
Seems a bit wasteful to close down a campus they just spent spend 200 million renovating only to open anynother campus somewhere else when we have shortages in things like army boots, flight suits, and NCDs

8)
I feel the need...the NEED to FEED! - Prop Gun

Offline Pre-flight

• Rate Post
« Reply #53 on: November 23, 2017, 09:40:59 »

8)

Agreed, but it happened and is done now.

Offline Pre-flight

• Rate Post
« Reply #54 on: November 23, 2017, 09:42:20 »
All good ideas but what were still trying to get at is "what's the purpose of officers earning degrees at RMC vice civi-u"? What's the real benefit?

Exactly.

Offline medicineman

• Well stuck into my new job and thoroughly enjoying it.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • In Arduis Fidelis
    • Fed By The Firehose
« Reply #55 on: November 23, 2017, 10:02:07 »
Seems a bit wasteful to close down a campus they just spent 200 million renovating only to open another campus somewhere else.

In the day, a major capital expenditure was usually the pre-cursor to a closure on a base...

MM
MM

Remember the basics of Medicine - "Pink is GOOD, Blue is BAD, Air goes in AND out, Blood Goes Round and Round"

I may sound like a pessimist, but I am a realist.

Offline Pre-flight

• Rate Post
« Reply #56 on: November 23, 2017, 10:21:53 »
In the day, a major capital expenditure was usually the pre-cursor to a closure on a base...

MM

A bit cynical, but none-the-less accurate. I remember a nice bit of renovations and construction at CFS St. John's right up to the day they flattened the place and made an armories.

Offline medicineman

• Well stuck into my new job and thoroughly enjoying it.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • In Arduis Fidelis
    • Fed By The Firehose
« Reply #57 on: November 23, 2017, 10:27:02 »
A bit cynical, but none-the-less accurate. I remember a nice bit of renovations and construction at CFS St. John's right up to the day they flattened the place and made an armories.

Happened at Summerside, Calgary and the odd other place during my time...became a standing joke when I was in Kingston, since it was on the chopping block when I got posted there in '95, just ahead of the Calgary closure after something like $16m on some regimental infrastructure for the PPCLI.

MM
MM

Remember the basics of Medicine - "Pink is GOOD, Blue is BAD, Air goes in AND out, Blood Goes Round and Round"

I may sound like a pessimist, but I am a realist.

Online Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
« Reply #58 on: November 23, 2017, 10:38:13 »
We used to say : "If they fix the roof, your doomed as you now have cost them money"

Online stoker dave

• Rate Post
« Reply #59 on: November 23, 2017, 12:42:43 »
Post grad, research and other important functions of a milcol are good enough reasons to keep the institution IMHO.

I did my master's degree in engineering at RMC (albeit quite a while ago).  It was a really poor program and I have seen no evidence of improvement since.  I am not convinced that is a reason to keep RMC as it is, although there may be other reasons. 

Offline Journeyman

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #60 on: November 23, 2017, 14:24:02 »
The only reason I'm skeptical of this statement is that the argument that the current generation is less suited for military service old and repeated by every generation. 
I would agree.....except...

I'd argue that there has been a massive societal shift from my having grown up, playing outside constantly, and a generation that sits at a computer for their entertainment.  Also, it's brutal seeing the level of literacy of these supposed high school graduates, which would have been painfully addressed (literally) by my school teaching grandmother.

:dunno:
Sadly amazed at people cheering on the spread of kakistocracy.   :not-again:

Offline MCG

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #61 on: November 23, 2017, 14:41:24 »
I think it is fair to say that every generation is different than the ones preceding it (and some are more different than others). “Different” always includes both better and worse (but there is a tendency for older generations to see the worse more clearly).

If the current generation is substantially different than its predecessors, then maybe the officer production system also needs to be different to accommodate the new “production materiel”.

Offline Simian Turner

is a veteran who enjoys oddities!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Do the right thing; do the thing right!
« Reply #62 on: November 23, 2017, 14:53:23 »
I think it is fair to say that every generation is different than the ones preceding it (and some are more different than others). “Different” always includes both better and worse (but there is a tendency for older generations to see the worse more clearly).

If the current generation is substantially different than its predecessors, then maybe the officer production system also needs to be different to accommodate the new “production materiel”.

I think the current generation's needs have to be addressed not only at RMC but all training establishments.  Isn't that why the CAF created the TDO occupation, which of course was filled with some of our brightest minds :sarcasm:
The grand essentials of happiness: something to do, something to love, something to hope for.  Allan K. Chalmers

Offline Remius

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #63 on: November 23, 2017, 15:03:12 »
Entitlement is likely the biggest difference in North American/western society.  The concept of starting at the bottom and working your way up, actually failing at something and learning from it, the need for instant gratification, how easily anything can be replaced rather than be repaired or recycled, or how you can just move to something else if you don't like what you are doing now, etc etc etc.

My grandparents lived through a depression and a world war.  My parents grew up with those hard lessons learned from theirs and benefited from their hard work and strived to make their kids' lives easier.  The kids of those kids have a carefree attitude mostly because their parents never faced real adversity so they never even witnessed it.

Optio

Offline Oldgateboatdriver

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #64 on: November 23, 2017, 15:08:59 »
I would not damn this generation wholesale.

I have two boys in their early 20's. I got engaged with their sport activities (Hockey for one, curling of the other) and their friends. While there is a big difference in their level of physical activities compared to my generation (but then again, what else were we going to do with our time?), I found that their attitude towards the world, hard work and reaching for higher objectives is not that much different from ours. it is just expressed differently because of the social/virtual environment they live in.

I'd like to ask the Senior NCO's and Warrants out here (PO & CPO of us naval people): Do you think the young tradespeople you have seen lately are less willing to work hard and learn than say ten years ago? I bet the answer is: no.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #65 on: November 23, 2017, 15:18:28 »

I'd like to ask the Senior NCO's and Warrants out here (PO & CPO of us naval people): Do you think the young tradespeople you have seen lately are less willing to work hard and learn than say ten years ago? I bet the answer is: no.

Overall, I would have to say 'yes' but...I've also changed trades and environments.  I find they are generally less disciplined (i.e. "do the right thing, the right way, at the right time, even when no one is looking") and more mentally fragile than when I was that age and in uniform.  They tend to see themselves "ill treated" for no reason, and don't seem to grasp the concept of "not everyone is equal"...because we aren't, not when we are doing the business a military does.  When I was a Cpl/Tpr I didn't expect the same...professional liberties a Sgt or WO got.  Not so much today, IMO.

That is a very general, overall answer from what I've seen over the past decade.  In 2007 I was on staff at CFLRS, today I am the immediate superior to a handful of fairly young Avr's and Cpl's who are recent products of the training systems in the RCAF.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 16:04:26 by Eye In The Sky »

Offline Loachman

• Former Army Pilot in Drag
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #66 on: November 23, 2017, 16:02:55 »

Brand-new hospital in Lahr...

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #67 on: November 23, 2017, 16:20:35 »
New CFSME and 1 CER facilities at Chilliwack...
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #68 on: November 23, 2017, 16:22:33 »
$11 million all-ranks mess in Summerside...

Offline Underway

• Rate Post
« Reply #69 on: November 23, 2017, 18:13:10 »
Not faster.  DEO remains much faster from enrol to OFP.

That is true, but ROTP Civi U to ROTP milcol is what we are comparing here.  DEO is an entirely different and cheaper option for the military.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #70 on: November 23, 2017, 18:26:15 »
DEO is an entirely different and cheaper option for the military.

There. THAT should ensure that the only Officers the CAF gets from here on in are thru DEO.    ;D

Offline MCG

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #71 on: November 23, 2017, 21:30:32 »
That is true, but ROTP Civi U to ROTP milcol is what we are comparing here.  DEO is an entirely different and cheaper option for the military.
You are situating the estimate.  Maybe we don’t need ROTP of any sort?  If DEO with a big signing bonous can be both cheaper and as effective, they why have ROTP?

Offline Strike

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Welcome to the Dead Parrot's Society.
« Reply #72 on: November 24, 2017, 08:49:35 »
You are situating the estimate.  Maybe we don’t need ROTP of any sort?  If DEO with a big signing bonous can be both cheaper and as effective, they why have ROTP?

Because then you are then also eliminating all those who would not be in a position to pay for their post-secondary education for whatever reason.  Either they don't qualify for enough bursaries or scholarships and/or they are in that grey zone where their parents make too much to allow them to qualify for government aid like OSAP but not enough to pay for schooling.

Not trying to start a debate about how they can get loans like DEOs did.  Just using this as an example.  With ROTP you get someone starting their military career without having to worry about the mountains of debt that can result from a post-secondary education and so they have one less thing to worry about.
Stop assuming I'm a man!

Don't know how long I want to keep playing this game...

Offline Pre-flight

• Rate Post
« Reply #73 on: November 24, 2017, 11:12:07 »
Because then you are then also eliminating all those who would not be in a position to pay for their post-secondary education for whatever reason.  Either they don't qualify for enough bursaries or scholarships and/or they are in that grey zone where their parents make too much to allow them to qualify for government aid like OSAP but not enough to pay for schooling.

Not trying to start a debate about how they can get loans like DEOs did.  Just using this as an example.  With ROTP you get someone starting their military career without having to worry about the mountains of debt that can result from a post-secondary education and so they have one less thing to worry about.

I mean ROTP through a civilian university is still a thing.

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
« Reply #74 on: November 24, 2017, 11:55:04 »

Right, it's just the mountains of debt from bad car loans and giant mess bills they'll have to worry about ;)
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon