Author Topic: Need help figuring our the schedule  (Read 1563 times)

Offline ARcan

• Rate Post
Need help figuring our the schedule
« on: December 25, 2017, 16:47:39 »
Hello everyone,

For the longest time I wanted to join the CAF Reserves and there was always something in the way. Finally I was at a point in my life where I could commit and now I got a job which makes it pretty much impossible to join. I work 14 hours a day and 6 days a week. I get a company truck and they can't have the truck sitting "not making money" more than once a week. I was told by the trainer that if my numbers are good, they will do what they can to accommodate the army schedule.

I have Wednesdays off because I have a commitment on that day and generally that is also my day off so it worked out. I hear that Reserves schedule is ONE weekday a week and ONE weekend a month. Weekdays start at 7pm. If that is true then all I need to do is ask them to let me finish my shift 4 hours early so I can make it to the base on time and I will complete those 4 hours throughout the week. Then ask for 1 weekend off a month and hopefully they will be okay with that.

If you have any information on the schedule for Armoured Reconnaissance, it will really help. From what I know, the 2 closest bases to me are the Newmarket and Downsview bases in Toronto, Ontario.
If I can provide any additional information so you can give me a better answer please let me know.

Cheers.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2017, 16:56:12 by ARcan »

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
Re: Need help figuring our the schedule
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2017, 16:57:58 »
I work 14 hours a day and 6 days a week.

If you work 84 hours a week, do you really want a part-time job?

Offline ARcan

• Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2017, 17:00:28 »
If you already work 84 hours a week, do you really want a part-time job?

Yes. I am a big boy. If I made this decision, I definitely considered my energy level. I don't see joining the CAF as something draining. It will make my life better.

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2017, 17:01:48 »
Yes. I am a big boy. If I made this decision, I definitely considered my energy level. I don't see joining the CAF as something draining. It will make my life better.

You will also have to take summer or weekend BMQ into your scheduling calculations.

There will also be trade training. As always, your best source for scheduling information will be the PRes unit you intend to apply to. :salute:

See also,

Work balance in the CAF Reserves 
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=120550.0
« Last Edit: December 25, 2017, 17:10:13 by mariomike »

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2017, 17:09:47 »
To be very honest with you (and to echo what MarioMike said), your schedule is what is going to get in your way from joining the Reserves. 1 weeknight a week and 1 weekend a month is your typical commitment once you're trained. Weekend BMQ is going to be probably 2 weekends a month from Sept - December. Then you'll need to do your DP1 training which will at least be a couple weeks straight somewhere (could be done on weekends, not sure how PRes Armd Recce guys train for career courses).

If your job is that intense and inflexible with working hours, you'd be best to wait instead of wasting all the enrollment time to find out you won't be able to complete BMQ due to work commitments.

Online mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2017, 17:13:32 »
If you have any information on the schedule for Armoured Reconnaissance, it will really help.

PRes DP 1 Armoured Recce Crewman is something like 20 days long (four weeks)

Offline Kerosen

• Rate Post
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2017, 17:18:21 »
I don't know who old you are, (it's harder on the body went your older) but some time on week end BMQ, it takes few days to be back on track due to PT and drill training, so your monday mornings won't be your best day of the week ........
Kerosen
Non nobis sed patria 
« Pas pour nous-mêmes, mais pour la patrie »

Armoured soldier 
Homme d'équipage blindé