Author Topic: Politics in 2018  (Read 153412 times)

Offline E.R. Campbell

• Retired, years ago
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
Re: Politics in 2018
« Reply #350 on: February 07, 2018, 09:42:09 »
This is rather ridiculous and its weird that  its grown legs and taken off ... Seems far more tongue in cheek to me in that context,  and the audience was happy he found a way to shut her up.

I'm inclined to agree with you as to the motive, what rattled a lot of people was the stupidity (fair word, I think) of the words he chose to "shut her up." Now, "humankind" has been in pretty common use for at least decades ~ I grew up knowing it as a "neutral" term in the 1950s ~ but "people-kind" is just plain dumb ... it makes Justin Trudeau look like what I think he is: a semi-literate man-child pretending to be prime minister of a G7 country and being amazed that no one has pulled him off the stage quite yet.
It is ill that men should kill one another in seditions, tumults and wars; but it is worse to bring nations to such misery, weakness and baseness
as to have neither strength nor courage to contend for anything; to have nothing left worth defending and to give the name of peace to desolation.
Algernon Sidney in Discourses Concerning Government, (1698)
----------
Like what you see/read here on Army.ca?  Subscribe, and help keep it "on the air!"

Offline Oldgateboatdriver

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #351 on: February 07, 2018, 10:04:29 »
I am in agreement with ERC on this one. And, BTW, according to the Gazette article this morning (thus probably in the National Post also), this has been mocked as far as the UK also.

I would only add that he wilfully decided to go on a national Town Hall tour. By definition, Town Halls are a political event in a democracy - they are not "celebrity" tours or stand-up comics show. When a politician offers himself (is that the proper pronoun for Trudeau?) to the public in an exercise in democracy, he has to accept that there will be point of views that will be expressed that will contradict his own views, or even will constitute personnel attacks. It doesn't give him the right to joke around or belittle any of these positions or people - if he truly believes that in democracy, everyone is allowed their own views and positions and to express them, no matter how awkwardly. He has to be "man" enough to take it and move on.

But then again, the Libs have always been bad at accepting that people could have views and opinions differing from theirs.

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #352 on: February 07, 2018, 10:56:41 »
Interesting ctv article and quote  about the class action sexual assault case going on.

Despite those efforts, the federal government argued in court filings that it does not “owe a private law duty of care to individual members within the CAF to provide a safe and harassment-free work environment, or to create policies to prevent sexual harassment or sexual assault."

https://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/politics/feds-trying-to-stop-sexual-misconduct-lawsuit-against-canadian-forces-1.3792725
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 12:09:36 by Jarnhamar »
There are no wolves on Fenris

jollyjacktar

« Reply #353 on: February 07, 2018, 11:46:32 »
Trudeau writes off peoplekind quip as 'dumb joke'
Canadian PM mocked for correcting a woman using 'mankind' during town hall in Edmonton

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-peoplekind-bad-joke-1.4524233

my favorite bit from the story

British TV broadcaster Piers Morgan called Trudeau a "Chief PC Plonker," accusing him of killing off mankind. Australian columnist Rita Panahi called him the "Kim Kardashian of political leaders; an all-style, no-substance himbo with all the depth of a puddle."

Offline Oldgateboatdriver

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #354 on: February 07, 2018, 11:54:23 »
Well, Panahi seems to have him well pinned down.

Offline Altair

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #355 on: February 07, 2018, 12:05:29 »
This is rather ridiculous and its weird that  its grown legs and taken off more than his response to our veterans(that's canada for you,  screw over vets, meh,   peoplekind as opposed to mankind, controversy) but has anyone watched the video in question?

The woman is going on and on about religion and female equality in religion,  her church,  for over 3 minutes with people in the crowd starting to get agitated and a few starting to boo her before Trudeau makes the quip about peoplekind.

Seems far more tongue in cheek to me in that context,  and the audience was happy he found a way to shut her up.

my favorite bit from the story

hmm.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 12:08:22 by Altair »
Someday I'll care about milpoints.

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #356 on: February 07, 2018, 12:11:14 »
This is rather ridiculous and its weird that  its grown legs and taken off more than his response to our veterans(that's canada for you, screw over vets, meh,

"C'est la vie"
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 12:14:47 by Jarnhamar »
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline Altair

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #357 on: February 07, 2018, 12:19:24 »

jollyjacktar

« Reply #358 on: February 07, 2018, 13:37:53 »
But totally self inflicted.  He has no one to blame but himself.

Offline Loachman

• Former Army Pilot in Drag
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #359 on: February 07, 2018, 14:30:59 »
http://nationalpost.com/opinion/jack-mintz-another-nep-fiasco-looms-as-westerners-suffer-for-trudeaus-energy-follies/wcm/a219f664-9715-4f0f-9ac6-67abfecf9b0e

Jack Mintz: Another NEP fiasco looms as Westerners suffer for Trudeau’s energy follies

Thanks to government policy and indecision, American consumers enjoying subsidies paid for by Western Canadians

"The prime minister calls the dispute between Alberta and British Columbia ... a "disagreement between provinces." That ignores the constitutional role the federal government has in interprovincial transportation and trade. Alberta’s Premier Rachel Notley is right: This is as much a fight between B.C. and the federal government as it is between Alberta and B.C."

"... perhaps the Trudeau government is quietly hoping the pipeline’s owner, Kinder Morgan, gives up in frustration, for “business reasons,” as other resource project proponents have done recently after enduring endless regulatory and political setbacks."

"The NEP, which hit the West just as commodity prices were falling, led to one of the largest income transfers in history, from the West to Central and Eastern Canada. Western energy producers were forced to pay an export tax to fund subsidies to make life cheaper for energy-guzzling consumers to the east. This time, the income isn’t being transferred from the West to Eastern Canada. It’s being transferred from Canada to the United States."

angus555

« Reply #360 on: February 07, 2018, 15:12:29 »
http://nationalpost.com/opinion/jack-mintz-another-nep-fiasco-looms-as-westerners-suffer-for-trudeaus-energy-follies/wcm/a219f664-9715-4f0f-9ac6-67abfecf9b0e

Jack Mintz: Another NEP fiasco looms as Westerners suffer for Trudeau’s energy follies

Thanks to government policy and indecision, American consumers enjoying subsidies paid for by Western Canadians

"The prime minister calls the dispute between Alberta and British Columbia ... a "disagreement between provinces." That ignores the constitutional role the federal government has in interprovincial transportation and trade. Alberta’s Premier Rachel Notley is right: This is as much a fight between B.C. and the federal government as it is between Alberta and B.C."

"... perhaps the Trudeau government is quietly hoping the pipeline’s owner, Kinder Morgan, gives up in frustration, for “business reasons,” as other resource project proponents have done recently after enduring endless regulatory and political setbacks."

"The NEP, which hit the West just as commodity prices were falling, led to one of the largest income transfers in history, from the West to Central and Eastern Canada. Western energy producers were forced to pay an export tax to fund subsidies to make life cheaper for energy-guzzling consumers to the east. This time, the income isn’t being transferred from the West to Eastern Canada. It’s being transferred from Canada to the United States."

Funny the author put Norway in a positive light in an argument against NEP.

Its heavily taxed, regulated, and nationalized petroleum industry is responsible for the world's largest sovereign wealth fund.

The whole impetus for Petro-Canada and later the NEP was the fact the Canadian oil industry was geared towards benefiting the US.

It was economic nationalism in a country that was and still is dominated by provincial thinking.

Offline Altair

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #361 on: February 07, 2018, 15:13:56 »

its also a perfect microcosm of the great divide that exists in the NDP.

We have two NDP lead provinces,  one representing the labour wing,  the other the environmental wing,  and here they are in a full out trade war.

It was interesting seeing Jagmeet Singh trying to walk on eggshells when talking about the issue

jollyjacktar

« Reply #362 on: February 07, 2018, 15:16:42 »
I remember all too well the NEP and what it was like in Alberta as a young man.  It sure as hell did SFA for us, except to boot frig us.  Another reason l dislike the "T" family and all whom politic in her.

Offline Loachman

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #363 on: February 07, 2018, 15:18:08 »
We have two NDP lead provinces,  one representing the labour wing,  the other the environmental wing,  and here they are in a full out trade war.

I'd not thought of it that way, but it makes perfect sense.

angus555

« Reply #364 on: February 07, 2018, 15:18:31 »
I remember all too well the NEP and what it was like in Alberta as a young man.  It sure as hell did SFA for us, except to boot frig us.  Another reason l dislike the "T" family and all whom politic in her.

Suck it up, cowboy.  ;D

Offline Loachman

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post

Offline Larry Strong

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • 546 days from 0 to being King of the Castle
« Reply #366 on: February 07, 2018, 18:13:06 »

Yep, developed my hatred for the family then as well..went from working "balls to the wall" to loading my rig on trucks and sending it down to the Coots border crossing............

Cheers
Larry
Proud sponsor of the Maple Leaf Legacy Project. http://www.mapleleaflegacy.ca

Online Cloud Cover

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #367 on: February 07, 2018, 18:43:50 »
Plan B...?

http://business.financialpost.com/commodities/energy/first-nations-pipeline-has-a-plan-to-get-around-b-c-oil-tanker-ban-an-old-gold-rush-town-in-Alaska

This is a good alternative, but of course the NGO’s will shift focus back to Alberta and use influence, courts etc preventing oil ever getting from the field to the pipeline. But, watch and see, I guess the key here is speed, how fast can and will they get it underway.

Offline Altair

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #368 on: February 07, 2018, 18:45:26 »
Trudeau government will insist on ultimate authority over fate of pipeline in B.C.-Alberta spat: source
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-trans-mountain-alberta-british-columbia-1.4524706

As the governments of Alberta and British Columbia clash over oil and wine, federal officials are carrying a forceful message in their discussions with the two provinces. 

"The key message [is] that we want to help bring the temperature down," a senior Liberal, speaking on condition of anonymity, told CBC News, "but ultimately the federal government will not allow any province to impinge on its jurisdiction over the national interest. Full stop."
  I don't expect him to get any credit in Alberta or by those on the right.

Offline ballz

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #369 on: February 07, 2018, 19:21:36 »
Trudeau government will insist on ultimate authority over fate of pipeline in B.C.-Alberta spat: source
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-trans-mountain-alberta-british-columbia-1.4524706

I don't expect him to get any credit in Alberta or by those on the right.

Big talk from a gov't that let a corrupt municipal mayor do exactly that. Maybe I'm biased but I thought the Energy East was the most important pipeline we had on the table.
Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?

angus555

« Reply #370 on: February 07, 2018, 19:50:49 »
Trudeau has been publicly pro-pipeline since at least 2013. He even went down to Washington to lobby for Keystone XL long before he became PM.

Energy East was a tricky one, since they needed to build new lines in some strange lands before arriving in Irving land.

Northern Gateway was a farce.

Trans Mountain is of course a long established pipeline corridor, kind of a no brainer.

jollyjacktar

« Reply #371 on: February 07, 2018, 20:01:05 »
Just like Trudeau.

Offline Altair

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #372 on: February 07, 2018, 20:20:31 »

angus555

« Reply #373 on: February 07, 2018, 20:40:41 »
I do hope Trudeau dials back the SJW lingo though.

I think even with all of his gaffes, next election he'll beat that altar boy with the dimples for sure. ;D

jollyjacktar

« Reply #374 on: February 07, 2018, 20:45:20 »
There's more than one way to take that, Altair.

I think he plays you and those like minded like a violin, or Pavlov's dogs.  He got you all drinking the cool aid and barking on command at every turn. 

I don't believe for one minute that he's "pro pipeline". 

Or, as some believe he's the Kim Kardashian of politicians etc. As per the Australian comment on "peoplekind".

Take your pick.  I could care less.