Author Topic: Politics in 2018  (Read 142489 times)

jollyjacktar

Re: Politics in 2018
« Reply #400 on: February 08, 2018, 17:58:00 »
naturally.  He's a politician.

The provinces and senate might throw a wrench in his marijuana plans so that its not legal by July 1st 2018 for one.

But let's not pretend that because he's broken son promises that hes going to break all of them,  or that a broken promise on electoral reform has anything to do with pipeline politics.

Sip, sip, sip on that Kool-aid

Offline Altair

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #401 on: February 08, 2018, 17:59:28 »
Sip, sip, sip on that Kool-aid
pot,  meet kettle.
Someday I'll care about milpoints.

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline Loachman

• Former Army Pilot in Drag
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #403 on: February 08, 2018, 18:03:59 »
But let's not pretend that because he's broken son promises that hes going to break all of them,  or that a broken promise on electoral reform has anything to do with pipeline politics.

No, past performance is never an indicator of future performance...

Offline Altair

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #404 on: February 08, 2018, 18:09:59 »
No, past performance is never an indicator of future performance...
so by that same token,  what would you say if i said that trudeau will definitely keep all his promises because he's kept others in the past?

Things are far more nuanced than that,  things should be evaluated and judged on a case per case basis other than the extreme laziness I'm seeing here with"he's broken promises in the past so he will break this one as well".

Again,  if you all hate him so much that you cannot even pretend to remain objective,  that's fine. I just find it sad.

jollyjacktar

« Reply #405 on: February 08, 2018, 18:14:08 »

pot,  meet kettle.

Altair, Altair, l know you're an uber fanboy,  it's only natural for you.  Whereas, I am not and never shall be, so it's only natural for me.  We shall remain at polar opposite.  C'est la guerre.

Offline Altair

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #406 on: February 08, 2018, 18:22:24 »

Altair, Altair, l know you're an uber fanboy,  it's only natural for you.  Whereas, I am not and never shall be,  so it's only natural for me.  We shall remain at polar opposite.  C'est la guerre.
and I know that I do support the liberals.  Same as I know you're a diehard conservative supporter.

What disappoints me is that it seems to be impossible to talk about our opposing viewpoints without tossing out things like drink the koolaid. 

Its disappointing that it seems like you would rather canada do poorly as long as its trudeau at the helm to take the heat than you would canada do well with him at the helm lest he get any credit.

Offline Loachman

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #407 on: February 08, 2018, 18:37:59 »
so by that same token,  what would you say if i said that trudeau will definitely keep all his promises because he's kept others in the past?

Had he kept all, or even most, promises (and I truly hope that he does not, and that he has no opportunity to do so after 2019), then I would also take that as an indicator that he is more likely to keep others. Past performance, you see.

"he's broken promises in the past so he will break this one as well".

Has anybody actually said "will break" in this context? I'm not bothering to go back and look. On the balance of probabilities, however, and given that letting pipelines proceed, or, especially, over-ruling BC, would cost him more votes than he would gain from Alberta, I doubt that he would - willingly and happily - force the issue. I expect him to delay and waffle until the company gives up in frustration.

You're the one saying
3 pipelines will be built under trudeau.

I, and others, lack your confidence in that "will".

It may happen. I won't say that it won't. He may become the Country's biggest pipeline enthusiast.

I'd not bet upon that, however, and neither should you.

It is hard to predict people with absolute accuracy.

jollyjacktar

« Reply #408 on: February 08, 2018, 18:43:12 »
Actually no, l am not a die hard Con.  They didn't get my vote last spin.  They probably won't next go either.

I'd rather see Canada do better, sadly l don't believe we are with the current sitting Parliament.

I'm ready to dislike the left and the right in equal measures if l think they rate it. 

What dismays me is the people whom are blindly taken in with the Trudeau show, all the nice hair, good looks, boo hoo tears on demand, etc.   It's like reality TV, the Kardashians.  All show and drama, no substance.  I'd rather they see past the fluff and take off the rose coloured glasses once in a while.

As was pointed out earlier by others.  The only reason he's in the chair is because the voters were tired of Harper and he was the silver bullet or wooden stake if you will.

We deserve better, someone who isn't out of his depth.  I truly believe this PM is in over his head in the water and like any drowning man he's going to pull us under with him.

I've said to you before.  I also really would love to be so very wrong about him.   As with anyone who is in that chair, I'd want each and every one of them to be THE best PM we've ever had.
I'm still waiting, unfortunately.

angus555

« Reply #409 on: February 08, 2018, 21:50:34 »
Actually no, l am not a die hard Con.  They didn't get my vote last spin.  They probably won't next go either.
I figured you voted for Mulcair.

What dismays me is the people whom are blindly taken in with the Trudeau show, all the nice hair, good looks, boo hoo tears on demand, etc.   It's like reality TV, the Kardashians.  All show and drama, no substance.
This is the second time you've mentioned the K word, I'm getting a sense you might have some hidden guilty pleasures. ;)

If reality TV style politics [and revolting behavior] was off limits for conservatives in North America, Hillary would be President.

I also really would love to be so very wrong about him.
Have you ever been wrong in your entire life?  ;D

jollyjacktar

« Reply #410 on: February 08, 2018, 22:10:36 »
I figured you voted for Mulcair.

Yeaaaaahhhhh.    ::)

Have you ever been wrong in your entire life?  ;D

Yes, taking the time to respond to you here.

angus555

« Reply #411 on: February 08, 2018, 22:15:19 »
Yes, taking the time to respond to you here.

Likewise.

Online PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #412 on: February 08, 2018, 22:23:35 »
Alright gents. If we can't be civil in the politics thread and refrain from personal attacks, I'll start handing timeouts. There's also no need for childish name-calling of politicians of any party affiliation. We're all adults here and as shown previously, we're capable of debating emotional topics without resorting to emotional responses.

- Milnet.ca staff

angus555

« Reply #413 on: February 08, 2018, 23:01:00 »
Alright gents. If we can't be civil in the politics thread and refrain from personal attacks, I'll start handing timeouts. There's also no need for childish name-calling of politicians of any party affiliation. We're all adults here and as shown previously, we're capable of debating emotional topics without resorting to emotional responses.

- Milnet.ca staff

Levity and humour>Internet pride and ego.

Offline ModlrMike

: Riding time again... woohooo!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Canadian Association of Physician Assistants
« Reply #414 on: February 08, 2018, 23:13:57 »
One Liberal's response to "Peoplegate"

https://twitter.com/gmbutts/status/961573323112112129
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. (H.L. Mencken 1919)
Zero tolerance is the politics of the lazy. All it requires is that you do nothing and ban everything.

Offline Halifax Tar

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ready Aye Ready
« Reply #415 on: February 09, 2018, 05:51:41 »
If reality TV style politics [and revolting behavior] was off limits for conservatives in North America, Hillary would be President.

Can we please agree to not insert American political figures into Canadian debates ?  We have a US Politics thread.  Please don't sully ours with that tripe from south of the border.
Lead me, follow me or get the hell out of my way

jollyjacktar

« Reply #416 on: February 09, 2018, 07:00:02 »

- Milnet.ca staff

Sorry for the discord.  Won't happen again.  :ignore: applied.

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #417 on: February 09, 2018, 07:20:22 »
One Liberal's response to "Peoplegate"

https://twitter.com/gmbutts/status/961573323112112129

Calling someone a Nazi is as bad or worse than racial slurs IMO. It's sad that it's both the adopted go to insult by so many and tolerated.

angus555

« Reply #418 on: February 09, 2018, 12:05:16 »
Can we please agree to not insert American political figures into Canadian debates ?  We have a US Politics thread.  Please don't sully ours with that tripe from south of the border.

Yes, I didn't intend to trigger another discussion with the H word. :not-again:

But it was ironic that someone brought up US reality TV as a caricature of Liberal voters in the last election.

EDIT:

I do enjoy the commentary from Jordan Peterson when he talks about the delusions of young leftist political activists, which he's very familiar with. But it's hard to say how much that element contributed to the last election. Although, I agree Trudeau has an appeal to that segment of voters, the election was too complex.
Right now they're at his town halls screaming at him about pipelines.

:2c:

« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 12:39:26 by Til Valhall »

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
« Reply #419 on: February 09, 2018, 12:25:19 »
The Philippine government has told Canada to pound sand on the helicopter deal, I can see that coming back as "Liberals costing Canadian jobs". 

Offline YZT580

• Rate Post
« Reply #420 on: February 09, 2018, 12:59:12 »
The Philippine government has told Canada to pound sand on the helicopter deal, I can see that coming back as "Liberals costing Canadian jobs".

Aren't they?  How do you market a military helicopter and then try and tell the customer that they can't use it as a military helicopter?  Do they expect a country to purchase one set for humanitarian use and another fleet for counterinsurgency? 

Offline Loachman

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #421 on: February 09, 2018, 14:30:43 »
Not that I'm disagreeing with you, but what's the difference between a military Bell 412 and a civilian Bell 412?

Online kratz

Fall: Sweater Weather.

• Float, Move, Fight
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #422 on: February 09, 2018, 14:39:34 »
Not that I'm disagreeing with you, but what's the difference between a military Bell 412 and a civilian Bell 412?

IR paint?   ;D

I know, rhetorical question.
Quote from: Pipe *General Call*
"Tanning Stations on the flight deck"

Remember, this site is unofficial and privately owned. The site benefits from the presence of current members willing to answer questions.

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #423 on: February 09, 2018, 15:06:38 »
$840 million in new foreign aid in Syria.
$678-million over six years to resettle 25,000 Syrian refugees.
Another $245-million set aside for the resettlement of an additional 10,000 government-assisted Syrian refugees over the next five years.
$200,000 spent on an unethical vacation (fined $100)
$100,000 to “somebody running a Minister’s Twitter account”
$59.5M goes to Burkina Faso one day after Trudeau tells vets they ask for too much

:yellow:
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 16:51:09 by Jarnhamar »

Offline Loachman

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #424 on: February 09, 2018, 16:23:29 »
IR paint?   ;D

Not necessarily IR, but paint scheme, yes.