Author Topic: How we made Starship Troopers  (Read 2089 times)

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
How we made Starship Troopers
« on: January 23, 2018, 00:29:31 »
How we made Starship Troopers

‘I borrowed from the films of Leni Riefenstahl to show that these US soldiers were like something out of Nazi propaganda. I even put one in an SS uniform. But no one noticed’

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2018/jan/22/how-we-made-starship-troopers-paul-verhoeven-nazis-leni-riefenstahl
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
Re: How we made Starship Troopers
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 10:00:00 »
I remember reading this article a while ago and thinking "gee, you think?". 

Paul Verhoeven reminds me of the kind of  guy that makes a pun then feels the need to say 'no pun intended' assuming he's  the only one smart enough to pick up on it.   I really dig the civilian/citizen concept.

To suggest no one realizes theb Nazi imagery in Neil Patrick Harris's uniform is pretty dumb IMO.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 10:43:53 by Jarnhamar »
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline Colin P

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • Civilian
    • http://www.pacific.ccg-gcc.gc.ca
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 10:13:02 »
We all noticed and commented on it, just his "cool friends" didn't

Offline FJAG

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Ex Gladio Justicia
    • WordPress Page
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 16:14:39 »
Good book; dumb movie.

:cheers:
Illegitimi non carborundum
Semper debeatis percutis ictu primo
Access my "Allies" book series at:
https://wolfriedel.wordpress.com

Offline NavyShooter

Boaty McBoatface!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Death from a Bar.....one shot, one Tequilla
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 19:33:13 »
Concur.  Just re-read the book last month (found a free PDF version online because I cannot find my hard copy.)

Insert disclaimer statement here....

:panzer:

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 19:45:28 »
Concur.  Just re-read the book last month (found a free PDF version online because I cannot find my hard copy.)

Mind sharing the link?
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2018, 20:23:26 »
Mind sharing the link?

Be careful, he may decide to name a price :)

“The best things in life are beyond money; their price is agony and sweat and devotion ... and the price demanded for the most precious of all things in life is life itself - ultimate cost for perfect value.”

― Robert A. Heinlein, Starship Troopers
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline NavyShooter

Boaty McBoatface!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Death from a Bar.....one shot, one Tequilla
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2018, 21:12:17 »
If you can get past the terribly inappropriate picture on Page 1 (it's not even Denise Richards...sigh) the rest of it's all there...

Insert disclaimer statement here....

:panzer:

Offline Blackadder1916

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2018, 21:42:29 »
If you can get past the terribly inappropriate picture on Page 1 (it's not even Denise Richards...sigh) the rest of it's all there...

What is terribly inappropriate is the unauthorized dissemination of copyrighted works.

http://www.heinleinsociety.org/rah/faqworks.html
Where can I find free copies of Heinlein's books and stories to read on the Web?

You can't. Hopefully, that is. Any free or unauthorized electronic versions of Heinlein's works that appear on the Web are pirated (meaning: stolen) copies and the copyright owners will stomp on them as soon as possible. Go to Amazon.com or Abebooks to buy copies or go to your library.

When Heinlein's works are pirated, the theft is from all of us, and from the future, as the proceeds from sales of Heinlein's works go directly and substantively to our future in space. The Heinlein Prize Trust is using income from Heinlein's works to fund an award that encourages advancement in commercial space programs, as well as other worthy endeavors. The Heinleins, even after their deaths, are still "paying forward" to all of us, and it is our duty to honor their tremendous gifts to us by respecting the copyrights of Heinlein's works and only purchasing authorized copies.
Whisky for the gentlemen that like it. And for the gentlemen that don't like it - Whisky.

Offline Furniture

• Rate Post
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2018, 09:20:00 »
I actually enjoy the movie, it's not a cinema masterpiece but it's entertaining enough. To suggest nobody got the Nazi references is idiotic, and arrogant. I was a kid and instantly recognized the uniform as SS, and the heavy handed attempt to make anything military look fascist.

The book was awesome, I have to hunt down my copy and read it again.