Author Topic: Claim for Parkinson's Disease  (Read 1798 times)

Offline prairefire

• Rate Post
Claim for Parkinson's Disease
« on: January 31, 2018, 17:10:58 »
On January 30th 3018 I submitted a claim for Parkinson's Disease. VAC has told me that I have a very high thresh hold to overcome as it is generally treated by VAC as a disease of aging. Yet my Doctor firmly believes it is related to my service.

I have attached a PDF of my supporting documentation with identification redacted.

I believe that the medical evidence supports my claim and I suspect there are many others out  there who also have Parkinson's related to their service that have been told it is only an aging disease.

Note that the US  DVA recognizes Parkinson's as a pensionable condition

Please  review and I would appreciate any feed back.

Thanks

Offline prairefire

• Rate Post
Re: Claim for Parkinson's Disease
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 23:38:37 »
Some further info:  The document is 40 pages long and includes abstracts from several medical research papers. There are additional links to references and supporting documentation. In total there are several hundred pages of peer reviewed science in support of my position available through the links.

The search engine "Google Scholar" was very helpful.

There is nothing special or unique about my career and deployments. I am 60 years  old and have a total disability under VAC at 85% So this is not about the money but about treatment benefits as this disease progresses.

I suggested to VAC that they should commission a national cohort study of Veterans to see if the rate of Parkinson's is higher than the national average. The response was that it was not information that was necessary.

I hope that this provides some useful information  to all of you and that those of you that are in a position to advocate can look at this and use your influence to change VAC's approach to Parkinson's.

Offline Piece of Cake

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 02:08:33 »

I suggested to VAC that they should commission a national cohort study of Veterans to see if the rate of Parkinson's is higher than the national average. The response was that it was not information that was necessary.

It would be more likely - due to national and provincial research dollars - that an university or hospital would be interested in the correlation between Veterans and Parkinson. 

For reference: http://www.ohri.ca/prc/
Policy is more than black and white.  We need to not only understand the spirit of why a policy was written, but also how the policy affects people.

Offline Strike

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Welcome to the Dead Parrot's Society.
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 08:47:55 »
I wish you luck with your claim.  A good friend of my brother's died of the disease in his early 40s so there are instances where a person can get it when they are young.  He was diagnosed in his early 30s.

When it comes to treatment, I encourage you to look into taking part in any studies going on.  From there you can perhaps influence or encourage the institute doing the study you are participating in to research the topic above wrt service members and rates if diagnoses.

You're going to have a long road ahead.  Keep strong and good luck.
Stop assuming I'm a man!

Don't know how long I want to keep playing this game...

Offline AirDet

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2018, 10:50:45 »
I know that several techs that used to service aircraft in Portage and Moosejaw reportedly suffer from Parkinson as well. They believe it was related to the heavy use of Varsol and Trichlorethalene as a spray on a daily basis.

A quick google search revealed: `https://www.nih.gov/.../nih-funded-twin-study-finds-occupational-chemical-exposure-...

Nov 14, 2011 - A new research report contributes to the increasing evidence that repeated occupational exposure to certain chemical solvents raises the risk for Parkinson's disease. Researchers analyzed the occupational histories of twins in which one of the pair developed the neurodegenerative disorder, and assessed ...`

I have long suspected that one day I would start feeling health effects from the heavy exposure as well; and I`m not the only one!

Good luck and please post updates.
Just because an opinion differs doesn't make it any less valid. Remember those who gave their ALL to guarantee freedom of speech.

Offline prairefire

• Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2018, 14:43:08 »
Update: Submitted the application on Jan 30th 2018. Took about 10 days to process and be entered in the system at Matan QC,
One or two days later the Department Red Zoned the application with I believe a due date sometime the week of March 7th or 8th
My case manager advised me that normally Red Zones take 10 business days but it may be longer in my case due to thee comprehensive medical research supporting the application.

While the information I have provided is my Case history it is a useful template for anyone considering a claim for Parkinson;s

Offline recceguy

A Usual Suspect.

• Ineptocracy (in-ep-toc’-ra-cy) - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services pai
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
  • doddering docent to the museum of misanthropy
    • Army.ca
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2018, 15:26:12 »
crap. I was a Safety Systems Tech 531. We used gallons of trichloroethylene to wash oxygen and other a/c parts that required complete degreasing. No symptoms  yet, but I'm of the age that that crap starts showing up. I'd be interested in how you make out.

Not to mention the hundreds of times using an oil/varsol bath for our weapons.

Cheers
rg
Ineptocracy (in-ep-toc’-ra-cy) - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers.

Offline AirDet

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2018, 11:34:28 »
crap. I was a Safety Systems Tech 531. We used gallons of trichloroethylene to wash oxygen and other a/c parts that required complete degreasing. No symptoms  yet, but I'm of the age that that crap starts showing up. I'd be interested in how you make out.

Not to mention the hundreds of times using an oil/varsol bath for our weapons.

Cheers
rg
I know the Aussies and the RAAF did a bunch of research on POLs and their techs. When I find that I`ll post the link here or perhaps start a new thread to make it easier to find... ?
Trichlor is definitely linked to PD and Leukemia in the newest literature. Now that doesn`t mean that just because we worked with this stuff before PPE was around that we will get sick, but people should be aware of the links.
I completed a CF98 just to document the exposure while witnesses are still around.
Just because an opinion differs doesn't make it any less valid. Remember those who gave their ALL to guarantee freedom of speech.