Author Topic: Happy 50th Birthday to the Canadian Armed Forces  (Read 1475 times)

Offline Dan M

• Rate Post
  • It's only with age I realize how lucky I've been.
Happy 50th Birthday to the Canadian Armed Forces
« on: February 01, 2018, 18:52:00 »
Ten years ago I posted a similar message on the Forces 40th Birthday. It didn't seem to generate much interest then, and it probably won't now.

The dates of the formation of the RCAF and the RCN (the date of the formation of the Canadian Army is a subject of great debate) are known by all the amateur historians who frequent this site, but for some reason February 1st always passes by unnoticed.

Fifty years equals two generations since anyone served in a single service in Canada. Just thought I'd pass it on.

Cheers,
Dan.
An officer in The Canadian Guards should at all times, by intelligent study, conscientious application to his work and continual observation, seek to make himself so competent, so confident and so correct in all matters connected with the Profession of Arms that if he were to state in the presence of any military audience that "Pigs have wings", he would at once be both understood and believed. The wise officer, of course, will weigh all his statements carefully before he makes them. (ASAG 1960)

Offline ArmyDoc

• Rate Post
Re: Happy 50th Birthday to the Canadian Armed Forces
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2018, 22:13:33 »
Dan, thanks for letting us know. Two generations of CF/CAF members - quite an impressive statistic!

Offline Old Sweat

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 22:33:11 »
Thanks for reminding me of all the turmoil and essentially dynamic inertia and useless crap I went through as a young, keen, very junior captain at the time. And "kudos" to all the Second World War veteran senior officers who couldn't come to grips with the chaotic and essentially terminally screwed-up situation.

Any no offence should be taken at my comments, which are aimed at the idiots who seemed to do their best to make a bad situation worse.

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 23:03:16 »
Thanks for reminding me of all the turmoil and essentially dynamic inertia and useless crap I went through as a young, keen, very junior captain at the time. And "kudos" to all the Second World War veteran senior officers who couldn't come to grips with the chaotic and essentially terminally screwed-up situation.

Any no offence should be taken at my comments, which are aimed at the idiots who seemed to do their best to make a bad situation worse.

And all thanks to a McNamara Mini-me :)
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline Old Sweat

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2018, 23:33:43 »
A key organizational principle was that no administrative procedure or policy could be based on one that was used by a former single service. Good stuff, except that meant that we were adopting procedures that were no better than fourth from the top on the list of recommended courses.

Offline pbi

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2018, 11:15:07 »
And all thanks to a McNamara Mini-me :)

Good catch. The 1950's produced some very odd military thinking, some of which obviously seeped into the water in Ottawa. Interesting to see that the US services didn't follow McNamara's lead.

"A prophet is not without honour save in his own country"
The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools. ...

The true measure of a man is what he would do if he knew he never would be found out...

Offline FSTO

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2018, 11:33:54 »
Ten years ago I posted a similar message on the Forces 40th Birthday. It didn't seem to generate much interest then, and it probably won't now.

The dates of the formation of the RCAF and the RCN (the date of the formation of the Canadian Army is a subject of great debate) are known by all the amateur historians who frequent this site, but for some reason February 1st always passes by unnoticed.

Fifty years equals two generations since anyone served in a single service in Canada. Just thought I'd pass it on.

Cheers,
Dan.

:trainwreck:

Offline Baden Guy

Full Member.

• Question everything. Learn something. Answer nothing.
  • Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2018, 12:04:47 »
It's RCAF Station Baden–Soellingen in 1966-1967? and Gen Jean Victor Allard is speaking to the members of the JR NCO mess.
Wearing a Can Force green uniform with a Sam Browne belt he is selling the unification of the forces to a mess full of AC2, ACI and LAC airmen. And this LAC was there.  :)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 14:53:47 by Baden Guy »

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2018, 22:26:47 »
A key organizational principle was that no administrative procedure or policy could be based on one that was used by a former single service. Good stuff, except that meant that we were adopting procedures that were no better than fourth from the top on the list of recommended courses.

The 'Tragedy of the Commons' systems archetype, writ large....

Tragedy of the Commons: All for One and None for All

https://thesystemsthinker.com/tragedy-of-the-commons-all-for-one-and-none-for-all/

"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon