Author Topic: internal ranking process  (Read 857 times)

Offline mrhex

• Rate Post
internal ranking process
« on: February 12, 2018, 09:16:47 »
I have a question on policy of the ranking process. I know opinions and units ways of doing business vary greatly. I am interested in policy maybe a CANFORGEN or something to that effect. Here is my question.
I remember a few years ago a CANFORGEN was released stating internal ranking boards were not to be used. For example ranking a mechanic against a cook against a clerk solely because they are in the same unit and have the same rank is not to be done anymore.  Did this really happen or did I dream this up?  If so does anyone have this?

I have heard from a few different members of the higher ups that some units are sitting down now to rank their troops. This would mean that if the member is 1-of-1 in that rank and trade he/she will get ranked against clerk, supply techs and even drivers to compete for the overall score of the dots.
This doesn’t seem right….

So once again, opinions aside :2c:, does anyone have any rules/references about the proper way of doing this?

Thanks

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
Re: internal ranking process
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 09:21:04 »
Last direction is CANFORGEN 010/17 (DWAN link: http://vcds.mil.ca/apps/canforgens/default-eng.asp?id=010-17&type=canforgen)

Para 5b states:

SCORE CONTROLS AND THE PRACTICE OF USING UNIT/FORMATION/GROUP RANKING BOARDS TO DIRECTLY INFLUENCE PER SCORING IN ANY FORM IS TO CEASE. PER SCORES ARE TO BE DERIVED BY HONEST AND PROFESSIONAL ASSESSMENT OF A MEMBER S PERFORMANCE BY THEIR SUPERVISOR AND NOT SUBJECT TO ADJUSTMENT TO MEET BOARD RANKINGS. SECTION 5 RANKINGS AT THE UNIT SHALL FOLLOW THE SUBSTANTIATED SCORING OF THE PER. EFFECTIVE IN THE 2016-2017 PER YEAR, SECTION 6 RANKINGS ARE DISASSOCIATED FROM THE PER SCORE. THIS ALLOWS FORMATION COMMANDERS TO RECOMMEND TO THE RANKING BOARD WHO, IN THEIR PROFESSIONAL OPINION, SHOULD BE PROMOTED FIRST. THIS SHOULD ELIMINATE THE DESIRE FOR SCORE CONTROLS AND ENSURE MEMBERS ARE RATED IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE CFPAS WORD PICTURES. FORMAT OF SECTION 6 REMAINS IAW CFPAS 507
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html