Author Topic: 2018 pay increase?  (Read 3341 times)

Offline Arty39

• Rate Post
2018 pay increase?
« on: February 28, 2018, 19:24:56 »
Is there a  CF pay increase on April.1st this year?

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
Re: 2018 pay increase?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2018, 19:32:34 »
Nothing announced.
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline MasterInstructor

• Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 01:31:31 »
Do not expect anything for another 3 - 4 years... It is a nice backpay when it happens!

Offline Arty39

• Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2018, 06:45:47 »
I’m down for another back pay in a few years

Online NavyShooter

Boaty McBoatface!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Death from a Bar.....one shot, one Tequilla
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2018, 07:21:53 »
I'd rather have the money on time....when it comes as backpay, it is a nice chunk, however, not getting an annual increase along the way means that each year our salaries lose buying power against the economy due to inflation.  Additionally, we don't see any interest included with the money we receive as backpay, so basically, you're losing money.

*shrug*  I'd rather see an annual cost of living increase, but understand that it's not how things work in this world.  We have been tied (in a way) to PSAC for our pay raises.

NS
Insert disclaimer statement here....

:panzer:

Offline Pusser

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2018, 10:03:07 »
*shrug*  I'd rather see an annual cost of living increase, but understand that it's not how things work in this world.  We have been tied (in a way) to PSAC for our pay raises.

Actually, cost of living is the only thing our pay increases ever are.  Annual increases to pay rates are never about "attaboys" or rewards for loyalty and good service.  The only true pay "raises" (i.e. rewards) we ever get are upon increases in incentive levels or actual promotion.

We are not tied "in a way" to the Public Service (it's not just PSAC).  Our pay is absolutely tied to that of the Public Service!  This is actually a good thing (in my view) as the Public Service unions do all the work on negotiating the increases and then a comparability formula is applied to determine our new pay rates (which are generally higher).  So whereas Public Servants may have to go on strike to get a fair increase, we do not.  Sadly, strikes, which could cynically be described as beneficial to us, may not always benefit the Public Servants on the picket line.  Sometimes, the amount of money they get in the settlement doesn't make up for what they lost while not getting paid during a strike. 
Sure, apes read Nietzsche.  They just don't understand it.

Offline CountDC

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2018, 12:49:48 »
agree fully - rather have it every year in smaller amounts than a large lump sum that skewers my income for that one year. For us this results in a loss on certain federal/provincial benefits that are tied to the family income for the year.

Always support the PS in fighting the good fight so we get more.  ;D
"When the power of love, overcomes the love of power....the world will know peace" - Jimi Hendrix [1942-1970]

Offline Piece of Cake

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2018, 13:03:24 »
I'd rather have the money on time....when it comes as backpay, it is a nice chunk, however, not getting an annual increase along the way means that each year our salaries lose buying power against the economy due to inflation.
Not only a loss in buying power, but if the CAF wants to be competitive in recruitment, then it needs to offer pay that is adjusted yearly to the CPI.
Policy is more than black and white.  We need to not only understand the spirit of why a policy was written, but also how the policy affects people.

Offline Lumber

• Donor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2018, 14:14:05 »
Not only a loss in buying power, but if the CAF wants to be competitive in recruitment, then it needs to offer pay that is adjusted yearly to the CPI.

With the upcoming increase in minimum wage in Ontario to $15/hr, PRes OS/Ptes and NCdt/OCdts will now be making less than minimum wage.
"Aboard his ship, there is nothing outside a captain's control." - Captain Sir Edward Pellew

“Extremes to the right and to the left of any political dispute are always wrong.”
― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Death before dishonour! Nothing before coffee!

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2018, 14:46:34 »
With the upcoming increase in minimum wage in Ontario to $15/hr, PRes OS/Ptes and NCdt/OCdts will now be making less than minimum wage.

Minimum wage: 40 hrs @ $15 = $600 / week

PRes Pte R: 7 days @ 96.06 = $672.42 / week.  If on course away from home, R&Q included.

This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2018, 15:32:44 »

Are you suggesting that there is a Kathleen Wynne/Ontario Liberal Party conspiracy to demilitarize the Province of Ontario?   :stirpot:
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline kratz

Spring 2018.

• Float, Move, Fight
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2018, 16:35:39 »

$96.06 pay + $8.65 PILL = $104.71 per day / 7.5hrs = $13.96 per hr for Class A OS/AB + additional benefits (the value of SDB, Reserve Dental Plan and Education Reimbursement). I think the pay and benefits package is competitive for entry level training positions.
Quote from: Pipe *General Call*
"Tanning Stations on the flight deck"

Remember, this site is unofficial and privately owned. The site benefits from the presence of current members willing to answer questions.

Offline ModlrMike

: Riding time again... woohooo!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Canadian Association of Physician Assistants
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2018, 18:21:18 »
$96.06 pay + $8.65 PILL = $104.71 per day / 7.5hrs = $13.96 per hr for Class A OS/AB + additional benefits (the value of SDB, Reserve Dental Plan and Education Reimbursement). I think the pay and benefits package is competitive for entry level training positions.

It's actually worse when you frame it IAW the half day / full day format:

For a half day you get 48.03 + 4.32 = 52.35, then divide that by 6 hours and you get $8.725 per hour. Worse yet again the longer you go over the six hour mark.
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. (H.L. Mencken 1919)
Zero tolerance is the politics of the lazy. All it requires is that you do nothing and ban everything.

Offline kratz

Spring 2018.

• Float, Move, Fight
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2018, 18:38:26 »
Quote from: ModlrMike
]
It's actually worse when you frame it IAW the half day / full day format:

For a half day you get 48.03 + 4.32 = 52.35, then divide that by 6 hours and you get $8.725 per hour. Worse yet again the longer you go over the six hour mark.

Yikes. At that metric, less than 6 hours, starting at PO2 / Sgt (IPC 1) + PILL starts to break even with $15 hr.
With most PRes quitting within 5 years, the majority would never see a break even point.
Quote from: Pipe *General Call*
"Tanning Stations on the flight deck"

Remember, this site is unofficial and privately owned. The site benefits from the presence of current members willing to answer questions.

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2018, 18:57:53 »
I get $8.21 an hour if you count a 24 hour day we're all liable to recall on. You can make the numbers mean anything, and reservists are no where close to being underpaid.

Offline Piece of Cake

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2018, 19:21:25 »
I get $8.21 an hour if you count a 24 hour day we're all liable to recall on. You can make the numbers mean anything, and reservists are no where close to being underpaid.

I would argue that reservists are underpaid by 15 per cent.
Policy is more than black and white.  We need to not only understand the spirit of why a policy was written, but also how the policy affects people.

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2018, 20:12:32 »

Class A, B or C?  COATS, PRes, Rangers or Supp Res?

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2018, 20:29:56 »

Endure the full hardships of RegF members and they'll get paid the same. PRes members get that 15% back when they're on Cl C, doing the same job as the RegF. That's a whole other ball of wax though.  :off topic:

Offline Piece of Cake

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2018, 20:32:44 »
Class A, B or C?  COATS, PRes, Rangers or Supp Res?

Class A and Class B.  Can't speak about the Rangers as I'm not aware how they are paid.

Class C should be the pay standard for Class A and B reservists.

As an aside, I found this interesting.

http://www.ombudsman-veterans.gc.ca/eng/blog/post/286

« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 20:47:48 by Piece of Cake »

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2018, 20:58:02 »
Endure the full hardships of RegF members and they'll get paid the same. PRes members get that 15% back when they're on Cl C, doing the same job as the RegF. That's a whole other ball of wax though.  :off topic:

With that attitude, the Reserves will abandon ship and flip burgers at Mickey D's.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline CTD

• Rate Post
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2018, 23:19:16 »

What hardships? Please enlighten those of us who are not clear as to what the difference in pay should be for?
a full pay check every two weeks. Time to work out, full benefits, go home early, generally a very generous vacation package...............

Been there done that. I actually worked harder in the Reserves then I did in the Regular Force. That was on top of my other job I worked. It was a choice I made when i was In the Reserves I enjoyed the it the whole time.

Offline ArmyVern

is awake.

• Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2018, 23:36:35 »
What hardships? Please enlighten those of us who are not clear as to what the difference in pay should be for?
a full pay check every two weeks. Time to work out, full benefits, go home early, generally a very generous vacation package...............

29 years and 13 geographical pick-up-and-damn moves - only one of those was to another location within the same province.  9 years straight of non-voluntary IR away from my family, sometimes on the opposite side of the country.  5 tours for me and then the tours for my SO.  Ask my kids how their school years were for them and how many friends they managed to make. 

You can see my other posts on this site about lack of time to work out, lack of family time, lack of sleep. lack of time off, and 12-14 hour days at work being the expectation vice the exception these days for some support trades to keep things afloat ...

Glad that you managed to pull the "vacation package" straw to my opposite experience.  Even my training husband, an infantry guy, didn't manage to pull off the vacation package.

15%.  When subject to above.  Glad it wasn't your experience, but it is an experience many have and those pers are employed within the Reg F.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2018, 23:40:02 by ArmyVern »
Hard by MCpl Elton Adams

If you or someone you love is having difficulty & would like to speak to someone who has been through a similar experience, who understands, & will respect your need for privacy and confidentiality, contact OSISS toll-free at 1-800-883-6094. You can locate the peer closest to you by logging on to www.osiss.ca, clicking on “Contact us” link & then choosing the “Peer” or “Family Support Network”. Help IS out there.

Offline SeaKingTacco

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Door Gunnery- The Sport of Kings!
« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2018, 00:17:11 »
Class A and Class B.  Can't speak about the Rangers as I'm not aware how they are paid.

Class C should be the pay standard for Class A and B reservists.

As an aside, I found this interesting.

http://www.ombudsman-veterans.gc.ca/eng/blog/post/286

I have been both Reg and Reserve Force. The 85% pay thing for reservists is more than fair, considering they have geographical stability and a great deal of choice in both work assignments and frequency.

You want the full ticket- go Reg Force.

Offline CTD

• Rate Post
« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2018, 01:39:33 »
I do know the premise of my comment was more directed towards why a Reservist makes less then a Regular Force.  I can say when I use to go away for 3 or four months to instruct I did the same job, worked the same 12-18hrs a day on average as my Regular Force Friends. Yet I made less then they did even though we both held the same rank. Even funnier was when they found out how much less we made. and that we were not being paid year round unless we showed up for work.  (they all thought we received a monthy wage for doing nothing). Everyone of them said they would not give up their summer and take a pay cut to do what we did.  I choose to do what I did for the better of my Unit and myself, I made decent money but not as much as if I had of stayed home and continued in my Civilian job.

I still know many people in the Military, Army Navy and Airforce. They seem to be pretty happy with their postings and their life style. Not many of them working past 8hrs a day unless they are on a Training Billet or a Operation Task. Every one of them seem to have lots of time off for Vacation time. It is not perfect but it also isnt as bad as some have it.

I also know a few who seem to always be deployed and are never home. But they see to be the fewer of the crowd.

My Civilian job now affords me the 12plus hrs a day with the average being 16hrs with being away from home more then 2/3rds of my life living out of a duffel bag. Its a life style people become accustomed to. But not one that is great for family or friends.

Offline Eaglelord17

• Rate Post
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2018, 06:58:33 »
29 years and 13 geographical pick-up-and-damn moves - only one of those was to another location within the same province.  9 years straight of non-voluntary IR away from my family, sometimes on the opposite side of the country.  5 tours for me and then the tours for my SO.  Ask my kids how their school years were for them and how many friends they managed to make. 

You can see my other posts on this site about lack of time to work out, lack of family time, lack of sleep. lack of time off, and 12-14 hour days at work being the expectation vice the exception these days for some support trades to keep things afloat ...

Glad that you managed to pull the "vacation package" straw to my opposite experience.  Even my training husband, an infantry guy, didn't manage to pull off the vacation package.

15%.  When subject to above.  Glad it wasn't your experience, but it is an experience many have and those pers are employed within the Reg F.

Ok and you also have the other side of things as well, which includes Reg Force members who do next to nothing all day. Some people I have met in the Regs couldn't make it civvy side, being to lazy or incompetent to actually get and hold a real career. The other thing is when your coming in for a half day or full day with the Reserves its only when there is work. I can recall many days when there wasn't anything to do in the Regs but I was paid either way.

It is much harder to be a dedicated Reservist than a Reg Force member. Reg Force they simply tell you what to do and you do it. Reserves you have to try and balance a civilian career as well as a family and a military career.  For example I work 48+ hours a week of hard industrial labour in a severely understaffed mechanical department (under 50% manning). On top of that I still go to every parade night plus some weekends. I will work sometimes a 11 hour shift starting at 7am, go straight to the Reserves after work and be at the Reserves until 11pm only to wake up for 4am to go back to heavy maintenance for another 12 hour shift. Then after that I will show up to the Reserves on the weekend for training only to go back to my civvy job on Monday. A while ago I worked 104 hours in a week between the Reserves and my civvy job. The longest period of time I have had off in over a year is 4 days.

This isn't meant to be some sort of foot measuring contest, just a statement of some peoples reality. There are people who work hard in both elements, just as there are people who do as little as possible. The big difference is with the Reserves those who do as little as possible don't get paid for it. That 15% difference is insulting especially when you consider all the other benefits the Regs receive. When you do the same work, you should receive the same pay.