Author Topic: Frostbite - how to avoid?  (Read 1406 times)

Offline Matriska

• Rate Post
Frostbite - how to avoid?
« on: March 03, 2018, 02:08:15 »
Frostbite - how to avoid it in any weather and circumstance?

Can someone please sum up all the things one have to know and need to take care of in order to never get frostbite? 

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 08:24:21 by mariomike »

Offline medicineman

• Well stuck into my new job and thoroughly enjoying it.
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • In Arduis Fidelis
    • Fed By The Firehose
Re: Frostbite - how to avoid?
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2018, 08:24:59 »
Wear mittens not gloves, protect your face/ears from wind - balaclava, neck gaiter, hoods, your touque(s) - change socks regularly, regular buddy checks.

MM
MM

Remember the basics of Medicine - "Pink is GOOD, Blue is BAD, Air goes in AND out, Blood Goes Round and Round"

I may sound like a pessimist, but I am a realist.

Online Blackadder1916

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2018, 11:58:39 »
By limiting the scope to "frostbite", individuals tend to focus on that particular injury and pay the most attention to ears, cheeks and nose - the parts that tend to be uncovered (at least temporarily) even in cold weather.  The full range of "Cold Wet Injuries" (CWIs) and their prevention should be terminology that you use.  It doesn't have to be below freezing for serious CWIs to occur.

https://phc.amedd.army.mil/PHC%20Resource%20Library/ColdWeatherInjuries_FS_12-004-0915.pdf

Whisky for the gentlemen that like it. And for the gentlemen that don't like it - Whisky.

Offline MedCorps

• Rate Post
  • Rucksack Living!
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2018, 12:18:50 »
And use great care around skin and petrol (especially naphtha) in extreme cold environments.  Th cold plus the evaporation is a brutal combination.

MC

Offline ModlrMike

: Riding time again... woohooo!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Canadian Association of Physician Assistants
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2018, 14:40:56 »
Can someone please sum up all the things one have to know and need to take care of in order to never get frostbite? 

I'm gonna go with.... stay indoors and drink rum.
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. (H.L. Mencken 1919)
Zero tolerance is the politics of the lazy. All it requires is that you do nothing and ban everything.

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2018, 14:44:03 »
I'm gonna go with.... stay indoors and drink rum.

Does staying indoors and drinking beer work as well?

Or is this an area that requires more research?  Perhaps involving indoors / outdoors in different locations?  For example, would sitting on a beach in Cuba drinking rum also avoid frostbite?
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline ModlrMike

: Riding time again... woohooo!

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
    • Canadian Association of Physician Assistants
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2018, 15:01:21 »
The ability to reproduce results is the cornerstone of science. I look forward to analyzing your data.
WARNING: The consumption of alcohol may create the illusion that you are tougher,smarter, faster and better looking than most people.
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. (H.L. Mencken 1919)
Zero tolerance is the politics of the lazy. All it requires is that you do nothing and ban everything.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2018, 15:17:39 »
This is a pretty broad subj when you put it "in any circumstance"...

- dress for the weather
- loose and layered clothing.  keep the baselayer dry at all costs, sweat can equal death
- pay attention to both the temp and wind chill
- if there is a wind, work facing with your back to the wind, hood up
- wear good mitts, big enough that you can wear liner or similar gloves inside so that when you need to work without mitts, you don't expose your fingers to the temp
- keep moving to stay warm
- look at the obvious places for frostnip starting (nose, cheeks, fingers, toes, etc)
- boots.  never lace them tight if at all possible, tight reduces the insulation by reducing both circulation and trapped air.

Like I said...pretty broad;  how you dress, what you do, in what order varies from the Boreal forest to the high arctic.  shelter trumps a heat source in the arctic, the extreme cold will hurt you/cause frostbite extremely quickly because of the extreme wind chill with even a 4-10km/hr wind.
I feel the need...the NEED to FEED! - Prop Gun

Offline dapaterson

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2018, 15:38:27 »
The ability to reproduce results is the cornerstone of science. I look forward to analyzing your data.

You may be needed as part of the control group.   I'll have to ask you to continue your own research, drinking rum, indoors and outdoors, in a variety of climates.
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html