Author Topic: First posting and kindly requesting advice.  (Read 1296 times)

Offline Thisisstressful

• Rate Post
First posting and kindly requesting advice.
« on: March 04, 2018, 11:25:23 »
Alright so here's the deal
I finish my DP1 on March 28, and I'm getting posted from Borden to Edmonton.
I'm hoping someone can give me some advice because there is no one at my unit who is able to answer my questions.

I was told that my common law spouse isn't allowed to come with me to Edmonton from Borden
And I don't really understand.

I was under the impression that when we get there we will be in a hotel for our house hunting trip and than in a hotel until our possession date given that it's not a crazy long length of time so I don't understand why they are saying my spouse can't come with me .

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
Re: First posting and kindly requesting advice.
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 11:28:34 »
I was told that my common law spouse isn't allowed to come with me to Edmonton from Borden

This may help,

Common Law Marriage in the Canadian Forces
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=25612.350
18 pages.

Offline SeaKingTacco

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Door Gunnery- The Sport of Kings!
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018, 11:34:20 »
I'm hoping someone can give me some advice because there is no one at my unit who is able to answer my questions.

I was under the impression that when we get there we will be in a hotel for our house hunting trip and than in a hotel until our possession date given that it's not a crazy long length of time so I don't understand why they are saying my spouse can't come with me .

Look at your posting message. Does it say "restricted" or "prohibitted" anywhere in the title? If it does, there is your answer.

If it does not say that, does your spouse appear anywhere on your MPRR as your dependent? If not, that is the likely the source of your issue.

If it is neither of those two...see your CoC for an explanation.

Offline Thisisstressful

• Rate Post
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2018, 12:47:11 »
He is listed as a dependent
And the posting message is unrestricted or whatever
But he's coming here for my grad,and they said that because he technically lives in Winnipeg.with our furniture and effects he isn't allowed to come out with me , and that he has to be moved out separately

Offline SeaKingTacco

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Door Gunnery- The Sport of Kings!
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2018, 13:17:54 »
But he's coming here for my grad,and they said that because he technically lives in Winnipeg.with our furniture and effects he isn't allowed to come out with me , and that he has to be moved out separately

Ah. You did not mention that your spouse was not geographically located with you.

Offline garb811

• MP/MPO Question Answerer
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2018, 14:19:15 »
Well, what they are saying is that they won't pay for him.  So, if you're driving for instance, then he can certainly hop in the car with you if you have been authorized to do the trip via PMV.  You get your mileage covered, you get incidentals, your hotel rooms covered and your meals covered, because those are core expenses for you.  But they won't cover his costs, which basically amount to his meals in most cases.

They will cover his costs to go to Edmonton from Winnipeg for the HHT portion and they will cover a hotel room and meals for you both during that period.  The expectation is he will go back to Winnipeg pending the date you take possession and you will need to find other accommodation or move into shacks at your own expense pending that as well, unless you want to pay the extra costs to stay in a hotel out of your own pocket (your R&Q will come out of your pocket as well but that is much cheaper than a hotel).  You will also be flown back to Winnipeg for the actual pack/load/move etc.  If he chooses to stay with you in Edmonton until the pack/load/move he won't be flown back to Winnipeg as the expectation is he is already there with your stuff, living in your apartment or whatever.

Once you secure accommodation and are authorized to move your HG&E, they will fly you from Edmonton to Winnipeg and then do the move proper from Winnipeg to Edmonton with him.

Long story short, if you want to do the cross-Canada tour with him, can afford his meals and he has the time off work, go for it.  Just be careful that he ends up back in Winnipeg somehow before the HHT dates or things get complicated and you start losing benefits.

Offline Pusser

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2018, 11:33:15 »
I'm not sure if driving from Winnipeg to Edmonton counts as "cross Canada tour!"  After all, most of that drive will be through Saskatchewan...

This my take:

1) Everyone is entitled to a "move on enrollment."  If you have been in training to this point, it is unlikely that you have done this yet, as it is normally delayed until your "first posting."  The easiest thing is likely for you to simply let the OR in Borden send you to Edmonton and go into single quarters.  Once you're there, you can request your first "move."

2) Your first "move" will include an HHT.  At this point, the Crown will fly your spouse to Edmonton and put you BOTH in a hotel room (i.e. you don't have to squeeze into single bed in the barracks) for the duration of the HHT.  At the end of the HHT, the spouse goes back to Winnipeg.

3)  Once the occupancy date is determined, you can plan for you to go to Winnipeg to supervise the pack and load of your furniture and effects (F&E).  Then, the two of you can proceed to Edmonton and move into your new home.

There can be some minor variations in how this all plays out, but that's the gist of it.  One thing to note is that the "system" hates things that don't fit into the model, so the best way to accomplish anything is to explain your situation to the people arranging your move (be it Brookfield or the OR) and let them sort our how to fit it into the model.  Having said that, what you are describing is indeed possible at little to no expense to you, so be prepared to ask questions and challenge anything that seems unreasonable.
Sure, apes read Nietzsche.  They just don't understand it.

Offline garb811

• MP/MPO Question Answerer
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2018, 21:46:29 »
I'm not sure if driving from Winnipeg to Edmonton counts as "cross Canada tour!"  After all, most of that drive will be through Saskatchewan...

Reading the actual questions the OP has is helpful.