Author Topic: Competition List Questions (formally called Merit List) [MERGED]  (Read 322490 times)

Offline Nichfour

• Rate Post
Re: Competition List Questions (formally called Merit List) [MERGED]
« Reply #250 on: February 27, 2012, 09:50:16 »
I just got off the phone with a recruiter and wanted to double check the nature of my earlier assumptions, and make sure I didn't give any false information. It is true that the RC tries to give you your first choice (so there is some order value) but lets say for example, recruit A is applying for infantry, combat eng and crewman. Recruit B is applying for Combat eng, crewman and ACIS Tech.

If recruit A's main choice (infanteer) is not processing applications at the time when combat eng is processing than both applicants would be held in the same regard and recruit B would not hold any priority derived from having combat eng as his/her 1st choice trade. So at the same time yes trade choices do hold bearing for the individual in terms of, the RC will try to give you your first choice trade, but when it comes to what trades are actually processing applications the order will not matter when comparing who is more suitable for the trade regardless of what order you chose your trades.

Just wanted to get my facts straightened out sorry for any miss communication, I stand corrected in some regards due to the fault of my own interpretation but the main point is the order wont effect your status for any trades in terms of priority with the RC.

Now if all 3 of both recruit A and B's trades were open and processing I'm not sure what would happen in terms of ordered priority, but I'm sure it would be a simple answer along the lines of the RC would try to process you for your first choice trade but if something were to happen such as not scoring high enough on your CFAT or the trade closing during processing the same rules would apply, i.e that the order in which you chose the trades would hold no bearing and you would be processed for your second choice without penalty providing you still meet the standard for that trade. Again I don't know for sure that is just what I imagine would happen if someone knows better than please correct my ignorance.

Regards and sorry if I am just repeating what you posted Hatchet Man and Deelo and just rewording it, I just want to make sure I am clear on the subject and anyone else who reads into the merit list will get their questions answered through the search function.

Offline Hatchet Man

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #251 on: February 27, 2012, 10:27:33 »
You aren't processed for any one trade. You are processed for suitablity in the CF, based on all trades you have selected and are qualified and M/L'ed for (if you don't qualify for it, you won't be M/Led for it, if say a trade is closed or is about to close, you may or may not be M/L'ed it depends on what direction the RC has recieved from higher.)  You kinda overthinking things.  The order of priority only really has an influence if you happen to get offers for more than one trade, it doesn't really effect how you're merit listed or how you are assessed.  Its basically a guide so the RC's know what trades you really want, and if you happen to get offers for more than one trade, they will present an offer for your highest choice. 
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 10:45:04 by Hatchet Man »

Offline Nichfour

• Rate Post
« Reply #252 on: February 27, 2012, 10:38:13 »
Okay thank you for the knowledge much appreciated

Offline Wilamanjaro

• Rate Post
« Reply #253 on: February 27, 2012, 21:04:30 »
I was told just like the merit listing your medical is only good for 1 year and then you just have to go in for a little update medical.

Spoke to a recruiter today, she mentioned that the medical is good for two years. With some trades however, like pilot, the medical will expire after only a year.

Offline Hatchet Man

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #254 on: February 27, 2012, 22:00:32 »
Spoke to a recruiter today, she mentioned that the medical is good for two years. With some trades however, like pilot, the medical will expire after only a year.

Intersting I am going to get clarification on this tomorrow.  It might be a regional thing.

Offline Deelo

• Private - ACISS
  • Rate Post
« Reply #255 on: February 27, 2012, 22:04:05 »

Agreed, Hatchet Man, I've heard numerous times from my RC that the medical is only good for a year, regardless of trade choice.

Offline cnobbs84

• Rate Post
« Reply #256 on: February 27, 2012, 22:10:57 »
I have been merit listed for 9 months but going thru the process for 1.5 years... after a year u have to redo everything.. medical background check etc

Offline Hatchet Man

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #257 on: February 27, 2012, 22:15:36 »
I have been merit listed for 9 months but going thru the process for 1.5 years... after a year u have to redo everything.. medical background check etc

Which is how it should be.  One standard across the board, keeps applicants like you from getting all confused.

Offline Hatchet Man

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #258 on: February 28, 2012, 21:04:50 »
Confirmed Part 1 medicals are valid for 1 year, Part 2 medicals are valid for 2 years.

Offline maple360

• Rate Post
« Reply #259 on: February 28, 2012, 21:27:58 »
Confirmed Part 1 medicals are valid for 1 year, Part 2 medicals are valid for 2 years.

Part two medical? I thought it was just one medical that lasts for a year before you have to update.

Offline Hatchet Man

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #260 on: February 28, 2012, 21:48:58 »
Part two medical? I thought it was just one medical that lasts for a year before you have to update.

Well there is one medical but there are 2 parts to it.

Offline Wilamanjaro

• Rate Post
« Reply #261 on: February 29, 2012, 23:07:42 »
Part 2 medicals? I've done eyesight, hearing, pushups and stuff while she listened to my lungs or something. Granted, the lady I spoke with seems new at the RC, I've never dealt with her before. The way she put it was, I will call you back in 5 minutes if you need to do a new medical after a year, I WON'T call back if you don't. Either way, I have an interview on monday because I changed one of my trades. I will get some more information then.

Offline Hatchet Man

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #262 on: February 29, 2012, 23:37:18 »
Part 2 medicals? I've done eyesight, hearing, pushups and stuff while she listened to my lungs or something. Granted, the lady I spoke with seems new at the RC, I've never dealt with her before. The way she put it was, I will call you back in 5 minutes if you need to do a new medical after a year, I WON'T call back if you don't. Either way, I have an interview on monday because I changed one of my trades. I will get some more information then.

I don't think I can edit my previous reply, but the whole Part 1,2,3 medical is basically the different stages.  Part 1 you do the medical.  Part 2, the senior med tech/PA at the RC give you thumbs up thumbs down, part 3 is where your info is forwarded to a Medical Officer for the final say on whether you are fit/unfit.  This is usually the longest part to wait for. 

Offline AudiR8

• Rate Post
« Reply #263 on: May 24, 2012, 19:04:40 »
I'd like to start off as saying hi to the members of this site. As well as i have searched for answers regarding my question, although sadly still a little confused as to the most correct answer.

I have been placed on the Merit List as of Tuesday for Reserve. Being Merit Listed in my perspective is once you are Merit Listed, you're guaranteed a job but it is just a matter of when you will get the job, it can take 1 week, 1 month, 1 year, but you eventually will get a job offer. Is my perspective on it correct or am i in denial lol?

Thank you very much!
We are Anonymous, we are legion, we do not forgive, we do not forget, expect us.

seawolf

« Reply #264 on: May 24, 2012, 19:47:43 »
my understanding of how it works is different.

my understanding that the merit list is a list of everyone they feel is qualified to do the job, with the person at the top being the most qualified. They then of course as jobs come up - pull people from the list for offers top to bottom.

The issue is that as every new person gets added to the list it could move you down if they score better (combo of CFAT, experience, and interview).

Even if i am #1 on the list today...i could be #50 by the time jobs open.

I assume this is why the CF is starting to only process people when jobs are open in their trades of choice.

That said...being on the merit list is clearly better then not being on it....lol

:salute:

Offline AudiR8

• Rate Post
« Reply #265 on: May 24, 2012, 20:18:05 »
Thank Seawolf!

If anyone else  would like to add something or has any input , i would love to know.
We are Anonymous, we are legion, we do not forgive, we do not forget, expect us.

aesop081

« Reply #266 on: May 24, 2012, 20:20:33 »
once you are Merit Listed, you're guaranteed a job

No, you are not.

Offline AudiR8

• Rate Post
« Reply #267 on: May 24, 2012, 20:33:15 »
Thanks CDN, Meh, i had a feeling i was in denial  ;D

One more thing, they wont Merit List you unless there are positions available right? and lets say they have 10 positions available, and top 10 from the Merit List gets a job offer what happens to the other Merit List members, are they taken off it and told to re-apply next year? what happens most of the time in this case?

seawolf

« Reply #268 on: May 24, 2012, 20:42:34 »
other merit list members stay on the merit list.

Some people are on it a few weeks....others months...others years...others give up or try for other trades before being selected...

Offline AudiR8

• Rate Post
« Reply #269 on: May 24, 2012, 20:46:27 »
Thank you both for your input, i really do appreciate it! hopefully i can return the favor one of these days!  :salute:

Offline mmmjon

• Rate Post
« Reply #270 on: June 11, 2012, 19:13:56 »
You don't get taken off the Merit List, but you have to update your interview and medical are only valid for 12 months (someone confirm this please), therefore if you don't update or fail the new medical/interview, you will be taken off.
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Canadian Forces Applicants Facebook Group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/366983979998767/

BMQ Nov 5th 2012

Offline Armyyyy212

• Rate Post
« Reply #271 on: June 17, 2012, 22:18:34 »
I know there is the other thread about different times between things like the medical and cfat, but i wanted to know straight up how long has it been since you guys have been merit listed?

Offline Gbert84

• Rate Post
« Reply #272 on: June 18, 2012, 08:08:53 »
On July 13th I'll have been merit listed for 1 year. I've heard of people waiting longer. Wait times depend on many things.

Offline jeffb

Really needs to stop buying guns... .

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Rate Post
« Reply #273 on: June 18, 2012, 09:04:25 »
And I know a guy who was enrolled 1 week after dropping off his application. Just because wait times are long right now does not always mean they will be that way.
~ Ubique ~
Simple is better except when complicated looks really cool.

Offline Armyyyy212

• Rate Post
« Reply #274 on: June 18, 2012, 09:50:23 »
Gbert for what trade ?