Author Topic: Drugs thread - previous use, testing, etc..[MERGED]  (Read 558164 times)

Offline 7thghoul

• Rate Post
  • CF Applicant
Re: Drugs thread - previous use, testing, etc..[MERGED]
« Reply #1225 on: July 26, 2017, 10:43:50 »
Was reading through the earlier pages of this thread and came across a post saying nicotine and caffeine are on the past drug use form. I don't remember seeing them though? Does anyone know if they are there and if so should I call my CFRC and ask them to update my file for coffee drinking daily and red bulls sometimes + smoking cigarettes?
Recruiting Centre: New Westminister, BC
Regular/ Reserve: Reg
Officer/NCM: NCM
Trade Choice 1: ACISS
Online Application: June 16th 2017
First Contact: June 22nd 2017
CFAT: July 18th 2017 (Passed)
Medical: - July 17th 2018
Interview: - July 17th 2018
Medical approved: Aug 1st 2018
Competition listed: Aug 3rd 2018
Position offered: -
Swearing in: -
BMQ: -

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #1226 on: July 26, 2017, 11:05:15 »
Was reading through the earlier pages of this thread and came across a post saying nicotine and caffeine are on the past drug use form.

There are 1225 posts in this discussion. For reference, can you tell us which one you are referring to?

Offline 7thghoul

• Rate Post
  • CF Applicant
Re: recruiting and prior drug use
« Reply #1227 on: July 26, 2017, 15:17:56 »
Yes you have to sign a declaration stating which drugs you‘ve used (including caffine, nicotine..ect.) how many times you used/use and then you sign the bottom stating that which you have written is truthful to the best of your knowledge. Oh and after you sign this in the case you get caught using you can/could be charged federaly and you can ruin your chances of ever getting into the army again.
Hope that helps some. Oh and make sure you tell the truth its really not worth the puishment, if your caught lying. I know they do the initale pee test at your medical but do they do another after you‘ve started Basic...just curious

This was the post I was referring to.

I did however call a file manager this morning and he told me not to worry about it. Figured I'd ask in the interest of being transparent in that I didn't want to seem like I was omitting anything, which he said was fine and again to not worry as they really only look for non-prescribed and illegal narcotic use.
Recruiting Centre: New Westminister, BC
Regular/ Reserve: Reg
Trade Choice 1: ACISS
Online Application: June 16th 2017
First Contact: June 22nd 2017
CFAT: July 18th 2017 (Passed)
Medical: - July 17th 2018
Interview: - July 17th 2018
Medical approved: Aug 1st 2018
Competition listed: Aug 3rd 2018
Position offered: -
Swearing in: -
BMQ: -

Offline Mick_Fras

• Rate Post
Medical exam > past drug use
« Reply #1228 on: February 12, 2018, 11:23:34 »
Hello everyone,
i'll start by thank you for taking the time for reading and hopefully replying. I have read several form posts on similar topics but none of real aplication because they were outdated. Some background first. I originally applied for ROTP in the beggining of my victory lap of High School (2016) and did not meet my CFAT requirments. I took the time off, worked, grew, and came back to write in January of 2018; where I sucessfully met all the standards I whished to achieve. My medical exam is coming at the end of Febuary and I am not worried about my fitness or any health hazards except for this one issue. When I orignally applied i filled out my substance questionaire form honestly; a single previous use of Marijuana. Wanting to be open and honest on my new questionaire I added some for the use of which I took on my year off. This number was a total guess and (14) as I was no where near a frequent user and I didnt want to be caught in a situation where it looked like i was lying to I highballed. Upon making the decision to re-apply in (around august-september) I stopped all together which honestly wasnt a real issue seeing as I wasn't a very frequent user anyway. A couple of weeks ago, in late January, I was at a party at my University and was slipped something I was unaware of based on my level of blood alcohol level. I later found out it was an edible and am horrified that this history and accident is going to stop my entrance into the CAF. If anyone has any advice, ideas, or even just a general comment on my stupidity here it would be much appreciated.
Thanks again.
Mick_Fras

Offline EpicBeardedMan

• Rate Post
  • Getting better, stronger, faster.
Re: Medical exam > past drug use
« Reply #1229 on: February 12, 2018, 11:28:30 »
Regardless of how you took drugs, you still took drugs. Disclose everything, if you don't and they find out...not good news.
The military isn't really like a James Bond movie where you go for jet training in the morning and then underwater demolitions after lunch.

Offline Greeneie

• Rate Post
Medical question in regards to applying
« Reply #1230 on: April 26, 2018, 23:09:31 »
Hello, hoping to get some information in regards to what my chance's are of getting past medical with what I dealt with in my past. In my teenage years I used lots of drugs and alcohol as a way to cope with troubles in life because I was raised in a hostile home with domestic abuse. At about 21 years old I was admitted to CAMH for what they initially diagnosed as Schizophrenia. I was prescribed Olanzapine(Anti-psychotic medication) which I was on for some years. Fast track to now and I am 32 years, medication free since 2013, married, have a 7 year old daughter and have been steadily employed for many years and a mortgage, car and all that fun stuff. I have been drug(street drugs) and alcohol free for about a decade now and have constantly been in contact with my family doctor. In her opinion, she believes that I had been misdiagnosed and what I was going through was just related to the many drugs I had used in my younger years. I am curious if the is grounds for an automatic failure when it comes to medical. I have been preparing myself physically, mentally and intellectually for the past year but have been hesitant to send my application based on the above reason. Any information or advice would be greatly appreciated as this is something I have been interested in as a child but never pursed in my younger years due to low self esteem at the time. Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 23:13:56 by Greeneie »

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
Re: Medical question in regards to applying
« Reply #1231 on: April 26, 2018, 23:41:47 »
In my teenage years I used lots of drugs and alcohol as a way to cope with troubles in life because I was raised in a hostile home with domestic abuse. At about 21 years old I was admitted to CAMH for what they initially diagnosed as Schizophrenia. I was prescribed Olanzapine(Anti-psychotic medication) which I was on for some years.

You can search our discussions for the highlighted words.

For readers unfamiliar with Centre for Addiction and Mental Health ( CAMH )
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centre_for_Addiction_and_Mental_Health

As always, Recruiting ( Medical ) is your most trusted source of official up to date information.

"Unofficial site, not associated with DND or the Canadian Armed Forces."

« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 11:07:01 by mariomike »

Offline Buck_HRA

• Directing Staff
  • Rate Post
    • CAF - Find a Recruiter
« Reply #1232 on: May 03, 2018, 10:44:52 »
As always, Recruiting ( Medical ) is your most trusted source of official up to date information.

I always love mariomike's quote. Take particular note of the "Medical" part of that quote.

Here is my standard Recruiter type response when faced with medical questions:

"During the application process, our recruiting medical personnel will assess your unique medical situation. A complete medical examination is necessary when assessing medical fitness for the Forces. At this time, the Fe Forces will be able to determine if any existing medical conditions would preclude you from joining. This is also important when restrictions may limit the career choices being considered.

If you have specific medicla questions you should contact the recruiting detachment nearest you and ask to speak with a member of the medical staff directly."

Offline Littleone25

• Rate Post
Re applying and NPD
« Reply #1233 on: May 31, 2018, 13:04:50 »
Hey

I applied once before quite a few years back, it wasn’t the right time for me. Anyways when I applied the first time it was closer to my high school/post high school years and I could remember the drugs i had tried recreationally. So years later I’m applying again, because it’s the right time, and I wanna give the best life to my daughter. I don’t do drugs anymore. Not that I did them full time back then. Anyways I reapplied and am comfirmed for a NPD (Applicant Pre-Enrollment Substance Use Questionnaire). What exactly is that testing? Also I can’t remember the exact dates or anything.. because I put it all behind me. But I don’t wanna seem like I’m lying when I go in to do the NPD. I was honest before during my first application years ago, so are they just able to go by that if I say I can’t remember? Thanks

Offline Buck_HRA

• Directing Staff
  • Rate Post
    • CAF - Find a Recruiter
« Reply #1234 on: June 04, 2018, 10:34:19 »
Hey

I applied once before quite a few years back, it wasn’t the right time for me. Anyways when I applied the first time it was closer to my high school/post high school years and I could remember the drugs i had tried recreationally. So years later I’m applying again, because it’s the right time, and I wanna give the best life to my daughter. I don’t do drugs anymore. Not that I did them full time back then. Anyways I reapplied and am comfirmed for a NPD (Applicant Pre-Enrollment Substance Use Questionnaire). What exactly is that testing? Also I can’t remember the exact dates or anything.. because I put it all behind me. But I don’t wanna seem like I’m lying when I go in to do the NPD. I was honest before during my first application years ago, so are they just able to go by that if I say I can’t remember? Thanks

No they can't go off your first application; from the sounds of your post it was a LONG time ago which means the documents are in archive or possibly destroyed (the government only keeps things for so long).  Be honest to the best of your memory. 

If high school was 10 years ago and it was only for 1-2 years after high school then you can say with all honesty that the last time you touched anything was 8+ years ago.  Be honest to the best that you can be and it'll be fine for the interview/questionnaire.

Offline robjvan

• Rate Post
Re: Legal Cannabis Use in the CAF
« Reply #1235 on: June 22, 2018, 15:05:51 »
Apologies if this has been answered already, but does anyone have any information as to whether legalization will affect the whole "wait six months after smoking to apply" rule?   I understand THC metabolites are carried in fat cells for a long time - it can be months for a chronic smoker to completely eliminate all traces of THCA, but they certainly won't be feeling the effects, even just two days later. 

I would happily abstain from day one of enrollment, but having to twiddle thumbs for six months can certainly dampen the enthusiasm.
Recruiting Centre: Calgary
Regular/ Reserve: Regular
Trade choice: Drafting & Survey Technician
Second choice: Meteorological Technician
Third choice: Aerospace Telecommunication and Information Systems Technician
Applied: SOON

Offline garb811

• MP/MPO Question Answerer
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Legal Cannabis Use in the CAF
« Reply #1236 on: June 22, 2018, 20:40:56 »
Apologies if this has been answered already, but does anyone have any information as to whether legalization will affect the whole "wait six months after smoking to apply" rule?   I understand THC metabolites are carried in fat cells for a long time - it can be months for a chronic smoker to completely eliminate all traces of THCA, but they certainly won't be feeling the effects, even just two days later. 

I would happily abstain from day one of enrollment, but having to twiddle thumbs for six months can certainly dampen the enthusiasm.
That won't be determined until the CDS announces the new rules for CAF members.

If you would find abstaining for six months prior to enrollment, if that is what is required, would dampen your enthusiasm, then perhaps you need to rethink a few things.

Offline Buck_HRA

• Directing Staff
  • Rate Post
    • CAF - Find a Recruiter
« Reply #1237 on: July 06, 2018, 12:17:14 »
The official stance of the CAF that recruiters have been informed to state is that it still not legal.
Until such time as it is made legal the CAF will not announce what it's policy will be.
As such the current NPD policy stands.

Offline Canadian_beast

• Rate Post
Re: BMQ 2018 - Regular Force
« Reply #1238 on: July 19, 2018, 03:34:59 »
Question for the people that have gotten their offers for bmq. When does the drug test happen, asking for a friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
Re: Re: BMQ 2018 - Regular Force
« Reply #1239 on: July 19, 2018, 07:12:54 »
When does the drug test happen, asking for a friend.

Drugs thread - previous use, testing, etc..[MERGED]
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=12779.1150
50 pages.

Drug use/drug testing in the CF (merged)
https://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=16153.625
28 pages.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 07:16:28 by mariomike »

Offline Marketfresh

• Rate Post
« Reply #1240 on: July 20, 2018, 14:59:41 »
Hello,

I wanted to make this post to thank everyone for the vast information I found in this thread and while I knew I would never find something relating specifically to my situation, I was able to find a solution and all the answers to my questions within the 50 pages of information each of you has provided.

I'm currently in the recruitment process, I've written my CFAT and TSD. After completing my TSD (Trait Self Descriptive Test) I was put into a room to fill out my Substance Use Information Sheet. Now before I get started I want to share that I had applied in the past and was put on a 6 month probation due to my declared substance use. About 6 years ago I applied and got to where I am today, I completed the CFAT and the TSD (It was still in trial at the time I believe but was definitely there). I was then put into the same room with the Substance Use Information Sheet, I filled it out honestly, I had smoked pot during high school and on some summer trips. At this time my MCC (Military Career Counselor) was concerned with the use, it had only been about 7 months since I had stopped smoking pot. I was put on my probation period and told I would be contacted once it had ended, however in that time I was pushed to go to College, waiting for 6 months and working part time wasn't something my guardians were okay with. This was completely understandable to me as I was the one who chose to smoke pot, now I had to live with a minor consequence of that decision. I decided to finish school and earn a full diploma in that time. Fast-forward 6 years to present time, I want nothing more than to reapply, I love the idea of the Canadian Armed Forces and everything they represent, it feels like a calling to at least experience this. I again passed my CFAT and TSD and I was brought into a room and had the Substance Use Information Sheet placed in front of me, just like I did 6 years ago. I was afraid of the same 6 month probation, I didn't want to experience that same feeling of disappointment in myself for making stupid mistakes. While filling it out I put only a portion of my marijuana use, I had mislead this piece of paper, my MCC, and most importantly myself. I have never posted here before but I read posts almost daily and when I came across this thread the feeling of dread that I had done something so awful had started to set in. I read all 50 pages, looking for something to make myself feel better about my lie and I found that information. The ONLY way I was going to feel better was to go back and set the record straight. I was nervous, I didn't want to go and have anyone know I had been untruthful but the fact is I had been and I wanted, NEEDED, to fix this. The security guard at the door was friendly, "You've been here earlier! Just want to fix some paperwork?" that's exactly what I was there to do, I walked in and he went into the back offices and pulled my MCC out for me to talk to. A stern man but informative and helpful, "I've made an error on my Substance Use Information Sheet, if I'm going to start a career with the Forces I need to ensure it starts with complete honesty". I explained to him what I had done, he put a hand up and said "Don't worry, thank you for coming in, let me grab your paperwork and we'll get it all fixed up". Immediately I felt like a huge weight had been lifted off my shoulders. I was able to find the courage to live up to my mistake because of the information I found here and I wanted to thank you. You're all absolutely right, someone who isn't honest and is without integrity has no right to be in the Forces.

Some of you will no doubt feel 'Once liar, always a liar' but I don't feel that way. I made a mistake and I want anyone else who might be reading this forum to know you have a choice, everyone makes mistakes and it's fixing what you did wrong that really matters. If you've been dishonest because you're afraid it is NOT a life sentence. Go back and explain what happened and why, you'll be happy knowing you've started your potential career with honesty and integrity.

tl;dr
I was dishonest about marijuana, I read all the information provided by the excellent and informative users on this forum and went back to fix my mistake. You should do the exact same thing if you're in this position.

Offline robjvan

• Rate Post
« Reply #1241 on: July 21, 2018, 00:03:50 »
That won't be determined until the CDS announces the new rules for CAF members.

If you would find abstaining for six months prior to enrollment, if that is what is required, would dampen your enthusiasm, then perhaps you need to rethink a few things.
You're quite right, it's time to decide which is more important.  Thank you, sincerely.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Online kratz

Fall: Sweater Weather.

• Float, Move, Fight
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1242 on: July 21, 2018, 01:43:09 »
Quote from: robjvan
You're quite right, it's time to decide which is more important.  Thank you, sincerely.

Something for everyone wanting to join the CAF. The $$$ worth of equipment, lives and material any CAF member may be responsible for is more important than reliance on illicit drugs.

Consider: Is getting caught worth surrendering a "defined pension", "medical and dental benefits" and other veterans benefits?
Quote from: Pipe *General Call*
"Tanning Stations on the flight deck"

Remember, this site is unofficial and privately owned. The site benefits from the presence of current members willing to answer questions.

Offline Canadian_beast

• Rate Post
« Reply #1243 on: July 22, 2018, 00:50:23 »
They do a urinalysis (spelling?). You get to piss on one of those chemical colour strips that you used in chemistry class.

The recruiter told me that 90% of the guys he tests have tried pot at one point or another. I‘ve been under the impression that they‘re more interested in weeding out (no pun intended) dishonest kids then they are with getting rid of the occasional toker. Be honest about your past and you shouldnt have much to worry about.

keep off the grass!!!

You said “occasional timer” what if you “toked” significant amount within the past year and or months from applying to the CF.

Offline robjvan

• Rate Post
« Reply #1244 on: July 22, 2018, 01:23:14 »
You said “occasional timer” what if you “toked” significant amount within the past year and or months from applying to the CF.

Also a long-term heavy user here, and my impression is that you'd need to quit for at least 6 months to show a concerted effort but it may end in requiring another 6 months (or more) of waiting, based on hearsay.  Theoretically the smoothest option would be to quit for at least a yearish, then get the application going.

Again, this *may* change with the new decriminalization laws but any possibile changes will probably take time and might ultimately have no effect on recruitment decisions. 

It's not a right that we can serve in the forces, it's something we have to earn and prove ourselves for.  If they ask that we don't use particular substances for whatever reasons, that's just something we have to accept if we want in.

Offline Canadian_beast

• Rate Post
« Reply #1245 on: July 22, 2018, 01:26:57 »
Also a long-term heavy user here, and my impression is that you'd need to quit for at least 6 months to show a concerted effort but it may end in requiring another 6 months (or more) of waiting, based on hearsay.  Theoretically the smoothest option would be to quit for at least a yearish, then get the application going.

Again, this *may* change with the new decriminalization laws but any possibile changes will probably take time and might ultimately have no effect on recruitment decisions. 

It's not a right that we can serve in the forces, it's something we have to earn and prove ourselves for.  If they ask that we don't use particular substances for whatever reasons, that's just something we have to accept if we want in.

crap eh my friend that’s asking has only quit for 2 months but has already put in his application and is going for further processing. He will most likely be denied I’m guessing.

Offline robjvan

• Rate Post
« Reply #1246 on: July 22, 2018, 01:30:11 »
crap eh my friend that’s asking has only quit for 2 months but has already put in his application and is going for further processing. He will most likely be denied I’m guessing.

Hmm, I suppose we'll find out!  Maybe things are different now, please keep us posted on the results.  I know there's probably anonymous lurkers in the forum wondering the same thing.

Fingers crossed, and good luck to your friend!  May I ask which trade they chose?

Offline Canadian_beast

• Rate Post
« Reply #1247 on: July 22, 2018, 01:32:14 »
Hmm, I suppose we'll find out!  Maybe things are different now, please keep us posted on the results.  I know there's probably anonymous lurkers in the forum wondering the same thing.

Fingers crossed, and good luck to your friend!  May I ask which trade they chose?

Yes we will find out, I will keep y’all posted. But he choose infantry. Would that make it even harder? Lol

Offline EpicBeardedMan

• Rate Post
  • Getting better, stronger, faster.
« Reply #1248 on: July 22, 2018, 07:15:18 »
Yes we will find out, I will keep y’all posted. But he choose infantry. Would that make it even harder? Lol

Doesn't matter what trade it is...they won't be more or less sympathetic to your friend being a stoner depending on what trade he picks. Considering it won't be legal until October I wouldn't expect any leniency on this at all from the CFRC and most likely the file will be delayed for months.
The military isn't really like a James Bond movie where you go for jet training in the morning and then underwater demolitions after lunch.

Offline Buck_HRA

• Directing Staff
  • Rate Post
    • CAF - Find a Recruiter
« Reply #1249 on: July 26, 2018, 10:03:33 »
Yes we will find out

As I previously posted

The official stance of the CAF that recruiters have been informed to state is that it still not legal.
Until such time as it is made legal the CAF will not announce what it's policy will be.
As such the current NPD policy stands.

IAW Work Instruction 3.3.3.14 on Non-Prescribed Drugs, the current waiting period has not changed and is not changing prior to 1-Oct-18.  Although the Government of Canada has announced legal changes to the use of Marijuana to come in effect, the CAF cannot and will not action any changes to their policy until that date.

This post is not made on behalf of the CAF, it is being made by someone who is trained in policy analysis.