Author Topic: Signals Officer  (Read 90189 times)

Online PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
Re: Some Questions about Signals Officers
« Reply #100 on: November 25, 2015, 21:38:34 »
Wow, that salary actually sounds better than what I expected an NCM to actually make. After doing some thinking, I think I'm going to stick to my original plan to apply for Signals Officer as I like the idea of having the satisfaction that comes with making a successful plan that gets done correctly and because I feel like Signals Officers have a decent balance between being out in the field and not being in the field.

Thanks, you have really given me some insightful information on Signals Officers.  :salute:

Good luck on your training if you are successful in your application.

Offline 1984

• Rate Post
Re: Some Questions about Signals Officers
« Reply #101 on: November 26, 2015, 08:18:09 »
...I think I'm going to stick to my original plan to apply for Signals Officer as I like the idea of having the satisfaction that comes with making a successful plan...

:rofl:

Good luck with that.

Offline purplepropwash

• Rate Post
Questions about Reservist Army Signals Officer
« Reply #102 on: January 04, 2018, 14:04:55 »
Hello All,

(Obligatory: This is my first post and I've tried my best to ensure I've done my due diligence by reading the terms of reference, searching past posts -- I apologize in advance if I'm asking questions that have already been asked and I understand if I need to be told to google/use search again better. EDIT: I have checked / skimmed all the links on this [search](https://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=site%3Aarmy.ca+signals+officer&gbv=2&oq=site%3Aarmy.ca+signals+officer&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=3&gs_upl=1141l8295l0l8529l38l38l2l24l0l1l453l1516l0.5.2.0.1l8l0))

For some context: I am currently a recently graduated from post secondary specializing in computer systems and specifically network security. I currently work for a large telecommunications company but I'm considering my next steps, and specifically towards either (A) Joining the Reg Force as a CELE Air officer, or (B) joining my local Army reserve unit as a Signals Officer (39 Signal Regiment - 744 Sqn) as there are no close RCAF reserve units that require / are open to a CELE Air Officer.

To better guide my decision making process, I wanted to ask about being an Army Signals Officer and see if there's any more information I could gain outside of the CAF recruiting page.

I wanted to ask:

• What are the "Day-To-Day" activities of a SigsO?
  • What types of activities / responsibilities do they have on exercises / deployments?
  • What percentage of the job involves I.T / NetSec?
  • What are some of the best / worst parts of the job?
  • What does career progression for a SigsO look like? (i.e. What does / would a Sigs O be doing 1,3, 5 years into the job?)

Appreciate any information / opinions / feedback in advance :)!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 14:20:07 by purplepropwash »

Online PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
Re: Questions about Reservist Army Signals Officer
« Reply #103 on: January 04, 2018, 14:36:54 »
You have to ask yourself this question: do you want to be doing IT or network security work, or do you want to manage the people and policy of those doing IT or network security work. If you want to manage, be a Sigs Officer. If you want to do the hands on, you need to be looking at ACISS or ATIS which are NCM only.

Offline purplepropwash

• Rate Post
Re: Questions about Reservist Army Signals Officer
« Reply #104 on: January 04, 2018, 14:45:20 »
Thanks PuckChaser,

You bring up a good point and at the end of the day, I do believe that is what I want to be. Naivete and optimism aside, I want to be someone that is an enabler for a team / group of technical operators and believe that my strengths are in planning, coordination and management.

Offline RomeoJuliet

• Donor
  • Rate Post
Re: Signals Officer
« Reply #105 on: January 04, 2018, 17:35:46 »
You have to ask yourself this question: do you want to be doing IT or network security work, or do you want to manage the people and policy of those doing IT or network security work. If you want to manage, be a Sigs Officer. If you want to do the hands on, you need to be looking at ACISS or ATIS which are NCM only.
Hello:

Contact 39 Sig. Regt. and make an appointment to see a Sig O and pose the questions to her or him. Perhaps they can take you on a tour of the Squadron as well. Good luck.

Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline bk066

• Rate Post
« Reply #106 on: June 15, 2018, 21:31:55 »
If any Sigs O can share knowledge regarding general career progression in the trade? I'm starting ROTP in 2018 at UBC and since I'm married and hoping to have kids, just want to do a little bit of planning out.

From my understanding from research... (please feel free to add from your experience / knowledge)

BMOQ PLAR
BMOQ-L (CAP) next Summer, Gagetown 10 weeks
SLT and CAFJOD (7 mods) while still in school
GRADUATION AND COMMISSION in May 2021 ---> 2Lt

BSOC / SOTC mod 1 and 2 (Tp Comd, DSO), Kingston 5 months ---> Lt
ISSO, 2 weeks
2 years in rank as Lt, probably some OJT's between graduation and Capt
SJSO
Capt (hopefully within 3 years after commission)

AJSO (Army Junior Staff O)
AOC (Army Operation Course)
What others?

Feel free to go ham!

« Last Edit: June 15, 2018, 22:08:53 by bk066 »

Offline winnipegoo7

• Rate Post
« Reply #107 on: June 16, 2018, 06:36:32 »
The military doesn’t seem to give SLT to everyone  so you might have to take French classes at university if you want to learn French.   Only RMC students require SLT  and people who’s trade course is in their second language, ie a French pilot will be given SLT in order to attend pilot training.

Edited: because I misread.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2018, 06:42:18 by winnipegoo7 »

Offline RomeoJuliet

• Donor
  • Rate Post
« Reply #108 on: June 16, 2018, 08:01:31 »
If any Sigs O can share knowledge regarding general career progression in the trade? I'm starting ROTP in 2018 at UBC and since I'm married and hoping to have kids, just want to do a little bit of planning out.

From my understanding from research... (please feel free to add from your experience / knowledge)

BMOQ PLAR
SLT and CAFJOD (7 mods) while still in school

ISSO, 2 weeks
SJSO

AOC (Army Operation Course)
What others?

Feel free to go ham!
[/quote

BMOQ A can be in Wainwright as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Hucker

• Rate Post
« Reply #109 on: June 16, 2018, 17:26:52 »
You are missing ATOC (Army Tactical Operation Course) after the AJSO. AOC is done as a senior captain.

Also, I don't know if they changed it, but I never managed to get on CAFJOD as an Officer Cadet : I always got an email stating the course was full and priority was given to higher rank.

Offline sidemount

• Rate Post
« Reply #110 on: June 16, 2018, 18:49:12 »
You are missing ATOC (Army Tactical Operation Course) after the AJSO. AOC is done as a senior captain.

Also, I don't know if they changed it, but I never managed to get on CAFJOD as an Officer Cadet : I always got an email stating the course was full and priority was given to higher rank.
Same, never got one as an OCdt, preference given after you are trained in your trade

Sent from my S8 using Tapatalk (expect typos)

Leadership is solving problems. The day soldiers stop bringing you their problems is the day you have stopped leading them. They have either lost confidence that you can help or concluded you do not care. Either case is a failure of leadership. - Colin Powell

Offline bk066

• Rate Post
« Reply #111 on: June 18, 2018, 16:17:30 »

BMOQ PLAR

SLT (if needed)
ISSO, 2 weeks
SJSO

ATOC (Army Tactical Operation Course)
CAFJOD (7 mods)
AOC (Army Operation Course) *Snr Capt

What others? Feel free to add with your knowledge/experience with updated info you have about where, how long, etc..

Thank you all!!! Amended in this quote with correct info for other readers' benefit.

Offline 211RadOp

• Rate Post
  • Now is the tyme....damn missed again....Now is the
« Reply #112 on: June 19, 2018, 08:37:24 »
You won't get OJT between graduation and promotion to Capt.  You will be posted to a unit and will be, probably, employed as a Tp Comd. 

You may get OJT between Mods 1 and 2 depending on when they are scheduled.  If back to back, or close to it, then you will remain at CFSCE.  If not, you will get OJT somewhere, usually a field unit.  The school will attempt to find you OJT close to your family.  If OJT at a unit cannot be found, you will get it at CFSCE.
“Behind every great man is a woman rolling her eyes." Jim Carrey
"Do unto others, then run." Benny Hill
"There's no better feeling in the world than a warm pizza box on your lap." Kevin James

Offline bk066

• Rate Post
« Reply #113 on: October 07, 2018, 23:32:38 »
I'm looking for BSOC/SOTC DL but cannot find it... I know how searching courses on DL can be without knowing the right codes or names.
Does anyone know what to search to get to it?

Also, for benefit of any junior Sigs, listing down usual career progression for Army Signal Officers 00341, not personalized as above. Feel free to add and amend in between or past AOC please!

BMOQ Mod 1, done Summer before 1st yr for ROTP, St Jean X weeks (multiple serials each year)
BMOQ Mod 2, done Summer after 1st yr for ROTP, St Jean X weeks (multiple serials each year)
BMOQ-Army, aka CAP or Phase 2, done Summer after 2nd yr for ROTP, Gagetown 10 weeks
GRADUATION AND COMMISSION 2Lt
Second Language Training, if needed
BSOC / SOTC Mod 1 (May-Aug) Mod 2 (Sep-Nov), 6-7 months with gaps, 3 serials each year?
Promotion to Lt (eff end of SOTC graduation)
ISSO, Kingston 2 weeks
First posting for 3-4 years as Tp Comd (Ottawa, Kingston, Valcartier, Petawawa, Edmonton, or others), 2 years in rank as Lt
SJSO (Signal Junior Staff Officer) as DP2
AJSO (Army Junior Staff Officer)
ATOC (Army Tactical Operations Course) before or after Capt
Promotion to Captain
CAFJOD (DL, 7 mods)
AOC (Army Operation Course) as Snr Captain