Author Topic: Shaving while off duty  (Read 3373 times)

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
Re: Shaving while off duty
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2019, 13:17:44 »
The strictness of how each OR/BOR enforces deportment varies, both in PRes and RegF world...unfortunately. It also varies between every CoC. Would it be easier if everyone had the same standards across the board and adhered to policy to the T—inclusive of new beard policies? Absolutely. But many are sticklers for certain things, others not so much.

Very good points and accurate in my experience with the PRes and Reg force and across the Navy, Army and Air Force. 

Additionally, Orderly Rooms etc don't establish their "own" reg for things like dress;  they're more than likely pulling them from the Base/Wing/Unit dress instructions that have been signed off by the appropriate level of command.

WRT to the original question by the OP, "are their any rules...", this might be relevant as well as some of the other good posts here:

QR&Os: Volume I - Chapter 19 Conduct And Discipline

Section 1 - Personal Conduct

19.01 - OBSERVANCE AND ENFORCEMENT OF REGULATIONS, ORDERS AND INSTRUCTIONS

Every officer and non-commissioned member shall become acquainted with, obey and enforce:
a.  the National Defence Act;
b.  the the Security of Information Act;
c.  QR&O; and
d. all other regulations, rules, orders and instructions necessary for the performance of the member's duties.

(M) [5 June 2008 – (b)]

And from CFP 265 CAF Dress Instructions, in addition to BlackAdder1916s posts earlier, from Chap 1:

2.  This publication, issued under CDS authority, details CAF dress and personal appearance policy, authorized dress items and the method of wearing all uniforms and accoutrements.

8.  Control is exercised by local commanders who may standardize the dress of subordinates on any occasion, including the wear of accoutrements and alternative or optional items, subject to overall command direction.

10.Officers cannot delegate their leadership responsibilities. They are assisted by warrant and non- commissioned officers, who control standards and compliance by all of their subordinates.

* NCO includes Cpl/LS ranks.

For the OP, your question was specifically about a member who isn't able to grow a beard and has been directed to shave IAW the BEARDFORGEN direction.  You can see the regs are laid out fairly well in black and white, and I think BTN hit the nail on the head above;  some units will enforce 'the regs' more stringently than others. 

At my Sqn, sandals aren't authorized while in civilian attire during duty hours (we can wear civies on Friday for $2 towards charity).  If I drop by the hanger when I am on a NWD or on leave, I don't wear sandals even though I am 'not on duty'.  Pick your battles?
Everything happens for a reason.

Sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions.

Online Blackadder1916

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2019, 14:37:05 »

At my Sqn, sandals aren't authorized while in civilian attire during duty hours (we can wear civies on Friday for $2 towards charity).  If I drop by the hanger when I am on a NWD or on leave, I don't wear sandals even though I am 'not on duty'.  Pick your battles?

Not even if you wear socks with your sandals?
Whisky for the gentlemen that like it. And for the gentlemen that don't like it - Whisky.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2019, 17:57:45 »
I think the requirement is knee-high black socks, but only if wearing cargo shorts. 

Offline dapaterson

Mostly Harmless.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2019, 18:01:23 »
It's fun to see people in civilian clothes wearing issued oxfords and belt.
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Offline JesseWZ

• Directing Staff
  • Rate Post
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2019, 18:15:37 »
It's fun to see people in civilian clothes wearing issued oxfords and belt.

Your definition of fun and mine differ significantly. I'll add that the issued belt is typically somewhere just below the nipple line on most specimens I've witnessed.

As an aside:

How to dress yourself...

I will be seen and not heard... I will be seen and not heard... I will be seen and not heard...

Offline dapaterson

Mostly Harmless.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Myth
  • Rate Post
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2019, 18:17:01 »
Fun as in amusing and entertaining.

Stifled guffaws type fun.
This posting made in accordance with the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, section 2(b):
Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms: freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom of the press and other media of communication
http://laws.justice.gc.ca/en/charter/1.html

Online Blackadder1916

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2019, 19:05:21 »
I think the requirement is knee-high black socks, but only if wearing cargo shorts.

Black knee-high socks with shorts should definitely be acceptable, especially since they were once uniform issue.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 19:24:56 by Blackadder1916 »
Whisky for the gentlemen that like it. And for the gentlemen that don't like it - Whisky.

Offline Eye In The Sky

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • VP INTERNATIONAL
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2019, 19:30:54 »
If my "photoshop" skills were decent, I'd put a pair of Crocs on the first picture and show it to the SCWO to see what he thinks.   8)

Offline Dimsum

West coast best coast.

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I get paid to travel. I just don't pick where.
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2019, 00:50:48 »
Black knee-high socks with shorts should definitely be acceptable, especially since they were once uniform issue.

I'm sorry, there is no way I'd take someone seriously who was wearing that. 
Philip II of Macedon to Spartans (346 BC):  "You are advised to submit without further delay, for if I bring my army into your land, I will destroy your farms, slay your people, and raze your city."

Reply:  "If."

Offline Big Spoon

• Rate Post
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2019, 07:18:07 »
If you look at the kids in that first picture, they look like they are trying to cover their eyes to avoid the sight of the abomination of that uniform.

Offline Jarnhamar

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2019, 07:35:13 »
I've been given the "you have to be shaved even if you're on leave" while showing up at my unit on leave to do a favor for them.

Easy fix. I don't come in off leave anymore and not too big on the favors anymore either. Reap what you sow I guess.
There are no wolves on Fenris

Offline daftandbarmy

• Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • The Older I Get, The Better I Was
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2019, 08:55:19 »

Those are awesome reminders of how awful we can be at times in some ways. Looks like the lineup for every early bird special in Victoria :)
"The most important qualification of a soldier is fortitude under fatigue and privation. Courage is only second; hardship, poverty and want are the best school for a soldier." Napoleon

Offline Pusser

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2019, 11:19:59 »
We used to wear shorts at sea all the time, although generally without the socks - just sandals.  Navy-issued sandals, comfortable (really) and oh, so stylish...
Sure, apes read Nietzsche.  They just don't understand it.

Offline Big Spoon

• Rate Post
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2019, 12:40:08 »
We used to wear shorts at sea all the time, although generally without the socks - just sandals.  Navy-issued sandals, comfortable (really) and oh, so stylish...

Last time i wore shorts at sea was 2012, and with sea boots not sandals. It looked amazing.

**** Edit was due to me getting old and not remembering the right year ****

Offline FSTO

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2019, 12:46:28 »

All the rage until the mafia from HMCS GALIANO became zealots to the two layer church!