Author Topic: Canadian Forces Aptitude Test (CFAT) [MERGED]  (Read 2003628 times)

Offline Andraste

• Rate Post
  • Marking time until retirement
Re: Canadian Forces Aptitude Test (CFAT) [MERGED]
« Reply #2025 on: May 05, 2016, 15:51:47 »
I am sure you will be fine.  Just contact your recruiter and explain things (if they don't already know) and then rebook a new writing session.

Regards

Andraste

Offline Dockrill923

• Rate Post
« Reply #2026 on: May 05, 2016, 16:02:18 »
at least you cancelled and didn't just no show
"Always choose confidence over arrogance" - Paul B'ocuse

Offline PTFreak

• Rate Post
« Reply #2027 on: May 13, 2016, 11:26:15 »
To CAF Recruiter,

I am currently in the process of applying to the Reg forces as a DEO for infantry or pilot. I have already received confirmation that my application has been accepted for further processing and am currently waiting for the interview/CFAT test to be scheduled. I understand that there is a high volume of people applying and only limited resources to handle said volume.

I have spoken with the Captain at my local detachment and explained that I have some references to that have historically or are currently, serving in the CAF as Junior and Senior officers. He seemed very friendly and cooperative, then gave me the extension of the Corporal in charge of scheduling aptitude testing but did not specify that I am to rush my interview ahead of other applicants.

My question: Is it reasonable for my to call the Corporal and ask to have my interview/testing scheduled sooner, or should I wait until contacted? I have reason to believe that I am an exceptional candidate for the trades I have selected due to my training as a semi-professional athlete and more than adequate academic record.

Thank you for taking the time to respond,

A truly eager candidate

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #2028 on: May 13, 2016, 11:38:29 »
To CAF Recruiter,

I am currently in the process of applying to the Reg forces as a DEO for infantry or pilot. I have already received confirmation that my application has been accepted for further processing and am currently waiting for the interview/CFAT test to be scheduled. I understand that there is a high volume of people applying and only limited resources to handle said volume.

I have spoken with the Captain at my local detachment and explained that I have some references to that have historically or are currently, serving in the CAF as Junior and Senior officers. He seemed very friendly and cooperative, then gave me the extension of the Corporal in charge of scheduling aptitude testing but did not specify that I am to rush my interview ahead of other applicants.

My question: Is it reasonable for my to call the Corporal and ask to have my interview/testing scheduled sooner, or should I wait until contacted? I have reason to believe that I am an exceptional candidate for the trades I have selected due to my training as a semi-professional athlete and more than adequate academic record.

A truly eager candidate

As you have already discovered: "there is a high volume of people applying and only limited resources to handle said volume"; the matter of pushing you to the front of the line may be impossible.  Timings are geared around the availability of facilities for testing and interviews, availability of staff to conduct testing and interviews, etc.  Trying to appease your own personal impressions of your chances, really have no priority status in the scheme of things.  You are free to keep in contact with your recruiting staff at the CAFRC that you are dealing with, and perhaps they will have all the stars align to facilitate earlier testing and interviews for a group of prospects, but that will be the call of that CAFRC. 

More information can be found on this site in these threads:

http://army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,23193.0.html

http://army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,12755.0.html

DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline DAA

Administration is not an exact science..

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2029 on: May 13, 2016, 12:39:06 »

A truly eager candidate

You're more than welcome and I encourage you to contact your local Recruiting Detachment to have your Testing scheduled at your convenience but that is all you will get, is an appointment for the Testing.

Scheduling for an interview and or further processing is normally based on how well you do on your aptitude test (ie; CFAT) which is the first step in the process.  Other than that, nothing else really matters.

Good luck!
Got a question that you're afraid to ask online?  PM me!  I don't bite........

Offline PTFreak

• Rate Post
« Reply #2030 on: May 13, 2016, 13:03:37 »
You're more than welcome and I encourage you to contact your local Recruiting Detachment to have your Testing scheduled at your convenience but that is all you will get, is an appointment for the Testing.

Scheduling for an interview and or further processing is normally based on how well you do on your aptitude test (ie; CFAT) which is the first step in the process.  Other than that, nothing else really matters.

Good luck!

Thanks for the reply,

This might be a silly question: So by no means will my eagerness in contacting the Recruiting Detachment appear as an annoyance or work against my application?

I am truly not at all worried about my CFAT performance. I understand the eCFAT available on the website is a lot easier than the real thing. I completed it in less than half the allotted time and scored 100% and plan on practicing a lot more for more advance spatial patterns.

So in that sense if I score well on the CFAT could I jump to the top of the list? Just super eager to get into this career!!  :salute:

Offline Andraste

• Rate Post
  • Marking time until retirement
« Reply #2031 on: May 13, 2016, 18:08:44 »
PTFreak,

As you noted the CFAT available online is much easier (indeed it is significantly easier) as it was designed to give potential applicants an understanding of the test structure.  Having a healthy sense of confidence is a great thing going in but do ensure you understand the types of questions you might be run into and be able to answer more difficult questions of same type . . . be prepared and all will go well.

Your CFAT is one part of the selection process and while a good score is of benefit there are other hurdles to jump.  Being eager for a career in the CAF is a good thing . . . so keep that enthusiasm  :)

Cheers

Andraste

Offline Loachman

• Former Army Pilot in Drag
  • Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2032 on: May 15, 2016, 13:13:30 »
Welcome to Army.ca, PTFreak

This is not a part of this Site for lengthy discussions, but I am going to post this here, for your benefit and for the benefit of others (and that includes people like you as well as their potential subordinates)

I commend you, firstly, on your enthusiasm. Motivation is important. So are many other things.

I have some references to that have historically or are currently, serving in the CAF as Junior and Senior officers <snip> did not specify that I am to rush my interview ahead of other applicants.

Do I understand this properly? Do you expect special treatment because of family connections? I hope that you do not, because such an attitude will not go over well, and you will be disappointed. You will be judged upon your OWN merits, against a standard and in comparison with your peers, and not upon what others in your family have done.

I have reason to believe that I am an exceptional candidate for the trades I have selected due to my training as a semi-professional athlete and more than adequate academic record.

Academic record and athleticism, even combined, are nice, but no guarantor of anything. I have met many well-educated twits and many very athletic twits. There is far, far more to being a good Officer. There is far, far more required to succeed in the courses required to qualify.

Confidence is good. Overconfidence and an inflated ego are not.

Your belief is irrelevant. How you actually perform, individually and as part of a team, is what counts. You have to prove yourself.

I am truly not at all worried about my CFAT performance.

You should be.

Look at my overconfidence remark again.

You should worry enough to prepare yourself properly - but not enough to cause anxiety or paralysis. There is a balance to be found. Find it.

Worry and fear are survival mechanisms. They exist for good reason, and should be heeded and not brushed aside.

Overconfident people often fail to put in the effort necessary to succeed. I have seen that many times. Talent - and neither we nor you know (your "belief" does not count as knowledge) that you actually have any yet - without effort generally leads to performance well below potential and/or the required standard.

I have also seen people so convinced of their own superiority, so full of themselves, that they piss off everybody around them, and hence also court failure. This is a team effort. If you cannot participate as an equal, and fit in well, you will likely fail because nobody will be willing to help you when you need it - and you WILL need help, regardless of your school marks or athletic ability. You will need to earn the respect of your superiors, your peers, and, even more importantly, your subordinates. Understand that. Really understand that.

Your subordinates will often know more than you, regardless of how well you did at school.

So in that sense if I score well on the CFAT could I jump to the top of the list?

No. Why should you? It is only an INDICATOR of potential. Even a top score does not mean that you WILL actually be successful.

And "successful" can be taken several ways. Success in training, ie passing your courses, is good, but being successful as an Officer requires a lot more. Lack of compassion, lack of ability to make proper and timely decisions, lack of ability to know what is right and to do it, lack of ability to seek and accept advice, lack of humility, lack of mental as well as physical stamina, and many other shortcomings can all prevent you from being a good Officer, regardless of how well you do on course. Many have achieved high rank, for various reasons, yet are not/have not been good Officers. They can be a danger to themselves, and, even worse, to others.

This profession offers unimaginable rewards, and it can be a lot of fun. It is also very real. Responsibility for critical, expensive, and often irreplaceable equipment is real. Death is real. Severe and permanent injury is real. That is beyond your comprehension at this point. School and games do not compare.

None of this is intended to sound harsh, but you seem to need a little dose of reality. You may be good in those environments to which you are accustomed, but you are attempting to move into one that is vastly different and that rightly expects much more of you, and what you have done so far is only a small part of what you will have to do.

When I was in the Pilot training programme, we were told that only one in eight hundred Pilot applicants achieves his (there were no female Pilots then) Wings, and I doubt that this has significantly changed.

Some do not get past the initial recruiting process.

Some of the ones that succeed there do not get past Aircrew Selection.

Some of the ones that succeed there do not get past BMOQ.

Some of the ones that succeed there do not get past the various phases of flying training.

And many of the ones that washed out at any of those stages likely saw himself as you do now.

Special snowflakes melt just as quickly as ordinary ones.

CFAT is one small step. There are many other steps, and each one gets bigger. Getting past one is good, but it only means that you have the next one to climb.

And even achieving one's Wings is just another step. It does not end there.

Start reading through existing threads here on this Site, and educate yourself.

Understand what you need to do, and what and who you need to be.

Offline hockey_10000

• Rate Post
« Reply #2033 on: May 26, 2016, 21:08:06 »
hey everyone

so i did my cfat today. i think i did well but the reason im posting is because after going through the forums i saw that lots of people got the results just after their test for me i did not they just told me that i will receive further instructions for the remainer of my recruiting process by the mail (not e-mail ). so i was wondering did this happen to anyone else ? and im that guy that always thinks of the worst before the best so since i did not get the results im was thinking maybe i failed but then again i asked the recruiter if i passed he said he did not know because he does not have the results either but then i again it was not the same one who called out my name after the test it was an other one so maybe it was the one who called out my name who had the results but then again the one who spoke to me checked my folder so im guessing he would of told me if i failed but he only said that ill get further instructions and i asked him will i get my result at the same time he said yes and i got 1 more question what is the minimum you need to get in the infantry (reserve force) ? if anyone could answer that too thanks

Offline Loachman

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2034 on: May 26, 2016, 21:18:35 »
"Going through the forums" included reading this thread?

Please capitalize and punctuate where appropriate. Your post is painful to attempt to read, and does not reflect well upon you.

Offline hockey_10000

• Rate Post
« Reply #2035 on: May 27, 2016, 07:37:53 »
hello,
I am pretty worried right now because i did my CFAT yesterday and did not get any results so i don't know if i scored high enough to get into infantry. what they told me is only that i will get more information for the remainder of my recruiting process (including my results) by the post in a few days . I was wondering if it was normal ?

Also not sure if it meant anything but after the CFAT we all went downstairs with a recruiter and then another one came down took my file and another girl file and call out my name + the other girl to go up to the 3 floor with him he went into his office with her and i was in the waiting room then a different guy came and told me that basically i was going to get information by mail.

thanks for your time

Offline hockey_10000

• Rate Post
« Reply #2036 on: May 27, 2016, 07:44:10 »
i asked this question in another post but its got merged and i went through all 33 pages and my question was not answered so i'm trying here in the hopes and i get a good and clear answer from a recruiter.

Offline George Wallace

• Army.ca Fossil
  • Rate Post
  • Crewman
« Reply #2037 on: May 27, 2016, 07:57:28 »
hockey_10000

Welcome to army.ca

You have asked this same question several times in the last few hours and are basically spamming the site in your hopes of an instant answer. 

WAIT until a knowledgeable person can come online to answer your question.
DISCLAIMER: The opinions and arguments of George Wallace posted on this Site are solely those of George Wallace and not the opinion of Army.ca and are posted for information purposes only.
Unless so stated, they are reflective of my opinion -- and my opinion only, a right that I enjoy along with every other Canadian citizen.

Offline hockey_10000

• Rate Post
« Reply #2038 on: May 27, 2016, 08:12:55 »
alright i apologize  about that its just i could not sleep without a clear answer this has got me worried sick because i saw that people on this site got their results right after their test , so since i need to wait to receive it i have a weird feeling like if the recruiter did not want to say if i passed or failed or something so again i'm sorry my intentions were not to spam also i did not know that there was a section in the forums where you could ask a recruiter himself for help i just found out if i would of known i would not of posted elsewhere but that is my own fault for not looking enough

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #2039 on: May 27, 2016, 08:28:18 »
For hockey_10000.

"...i did my CFAT yesterday and did not get any results so i don't know if i scored high enough to get into infantry."

From the Ask a CAF Recruiter "READ FIRST" Sticky: "Before you ask a question, you should be searching the forum or the Forces.ca website for these answers."

What do you need to get on the CFAT for Infantry Trade?
http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=102745.0

CFAT Scoring? Minimum for Reg force Infantry?
http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=87313.0

What are th lowest you can get on the cfat in order to get into the infantry?
http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,23193.msg22341.html#msg22341

Does someone know how high you have to score to become an infantryman?
http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,23193.msg315883/topicseen.html#msg315883

To get into infantry, what is the school you need to get on the CFAT?
http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,23193.msg253111.html#msg253111

And one more thing im very bad at math?? will that have a lot to do with passing for Infantry Soldier which is what i really wanna do!!
http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,23193.msg212708/topicseen.html#msg212708

My choice's were Infantry Soldier And Amoured Solider! Does anyone know if you need a supurb socre to get into thoise ocupations???
http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,23193.msg212604/topicseen.html#msg212604

I plan to join the reserves, with an Infantry MOC. I hope the CFAT is alot easier than this test was.
http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,23193.msg179521/topicseen.html#msg179521

And for infantry, you don't need a very high score (I heard).
http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,23193.msg87577/topicseen.html#msg87577

CFAT infantry score 
https://army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,110464.0.html

For infantry you need to score 18/60...  :D
http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,23193.msg58553/topicseen.html#msg58553

CFAT for infantry officer 
http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=92210.0

CFAT Test Results...what does it mean?
http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,23193.msg58394/topicseen.html#msg58394
I‘m sure they have some room for you in the infantry, you don‘t need grade 12 math to know how to dig a hole  ;)

etc...

« Last Edit: May 27, 2016, 12:35:54 by mariomike »

Offline PuckChaser

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • Peacekeeper's Homepage
« Reply #2040 on: May 27, 2016, 08:59:46 »
Call the recruiting center today and ask whether your qualified for all of your trade choices since you weren't told after the test? Sometimes the answer is just so simple.

Offline hockey_10000

• Rate Post
« Reply #2041 on: May 29, 2016, 22:36:40 »
well i got my answer i did not pass gonna do a re-write but friendly advise do not underestimate the test !!! practice your grade 10 maths read alot do iq tests but grade 10 math books to practice but do not go do the test thinking ahh its gonna be easy no need to practice or ah well i want to be in the infantry i do not need to get a good mark !! wronngg practice practice practice or you will regret it
 i cant tell you exactly what is in the test but i can tell you that it has to do with grade 10 maths

Offline Loachman

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2042 on: May 30, 2016, 03:31:53 »
You have my sympathies, I hope that your advice helps others, and I wish you better on your next attempt.

Six posts ago, I made a request to you:

Please capitalize and punctuate where appropriate. Your post is painful to attempt to read, and does not reflect well upon you.

I am serious about that. It's your reputation, of course, so feel free to ignore it, but lack of effort in one area generally indicates a lack of effort in others. You have acknowledged a need to do better in math. Apply that in all other areas as well.

You are competing for a position that you want. Competing. There are minimum standards that must be met. Minimum standards. Meeting minimum standards, though, is not good enough if others perform better than you. There is no guarantee of success, as you now know.

Should you pass the CFAT next time, you will have many other challenges to overcome before you even qualify at the basic level of your desired occupation. And the challenges do not stop there - you should be enjoying challenges for your whole career.

Do yourself a favour: set a high standard for yourself now, and strive to meet it. Should you meet it, set a new one higher.

Effective communication, spoken and written, is important in all aspects of life. It is especially important in the CF, where expensive, and often irreplaceable, equipment and, more importantly, LIVES, frequently depend upon it. At some point in the future, given sufficient talent and through hard work on your part, you will find yourself in leadership positions. Can't communicate clearly? How would you expect to lead? Won't make the effort to do so? Where else will you not make the effort to perform at least adequately?

You will be judged on many things in life. That includes here. The two main things upon which people are judged here are their ideas and how they express them.

We like success stories. We want people to succeed.

We, on this Site and in the CF - your leaders, instructors, peers - will do what we can to help you succeed, but only as far as you are willing to make an honest effort yourself.

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #2043 on: May 30, 2016, 08:50:16 »
Also for hockey_10000. ( Unable to reply to her/him in the restricted Ask a CAF Recruiter forum or locked CFAT super-thread. )

well i got my answer i did not pass gonna do a re-write but friendly advise do not underestimate the test !!! practice your grade 10 maths read alot do iq tests but grade 10 math books to practice but do not go do the test thinking ahh its gonna be easy no need to practice or ah well i want to be in the infantry i do not need to get a good mark !! wronngg practice practice practice or you will regret it
 i cant tell you exactly what is in the test but i can tell you that it has to do with grade 10 maths

CFAT Math Specific Questions (Merged)
http://army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,26449.175.html
8 pages.

See also,

CFAT Math
https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Aarmy.ca+math&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gfe_rd=cr&ei=yDRMV7kUiY3xB4H0rJgP&gws_rd=ssl#

PM sent to hockey_10000 so s/he can learn from these math specific discussions for her/his next attempt at CFAT.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 11:51:23 by mariomike »

Offline Loachman

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2044 on: May 30, 2016, 12:51:26 »
Thanks, mariomike. I will merge those links that you provided into this thread later - those that are mergeable, at least.

This thread was locked for a reason - mainly due to the repetitive nature of questions and answers. I am mulling the idea of re-opening it temporarily, but it is already more than long enough.

Offline hockey_10000

• Rate Post
« Reply #2045 on: May 30, 2016, 15:33:49 »
hey

i did not do well on my first try for the cfat mainly because i did not practice enough. i do not know in what part of the test i did not do well though but i think its in the maths and spacial sections.
i know its hard to practice spacial ability but for the math part i know that if you study grade 10 math you should be able to pass it so my question is : where can i order a book that explains grade 10 maths? or do you guys know a book i could buy or order ?

also if possible in french since I'm from Montreal so the test is in french . And  i cant go take a course in grade 10 math since I've already passed high school 7 years ago but that's the problem i don't remember anything from grade 10 since it has been so long

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #2046 on: May 30, 2016, 15:41:11 »
where can i order a book that explains grade 10 maths?

This may help,

CFAT Book 
http://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=109801.0

Will an ASVAB prep-book prepare me for the CFAT?
http://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=101451.0

CFAT practice
https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Aarmy.ca+cfat+practice&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gfe_rd=cr&ei=NZdMV5nbGKiC8QfMs6uoAw&gws_rd=ssl

CFAT book
https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Aarmy.ca+cfat+practice&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gfe_rd=cr&ei=NZdMV5nbGKiC8QfMs6uoAw&gws_rd=ssl#q=site:army.ca+CFAT+book

Forcesready.ca? CFAT Prep 
http://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=106534.0

CFAT Practice and FAQs 
http://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=68213.0

CFAT Math Specific Questions (Merged)
http://army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,26449.175.html
8 pages.

See also,

MATH HELP

GRE MATH SITE http://www.onlinemathlearning.com/gre-math.html

http://www.needmathhelp.com/gr10math.htm  ALL SECTIONS IN GR 10 CURRICULUM

Word Problems Forum with Answers :  http://www.algebra.com/algebra/homework/word/age/Age_Word_Problems.faq.hide_answers.1.html

ALL TYPES OF WORKSHEETS : RATIOS, DIVISION, FRACTIONS, ETC.http://www.mathworksheets4kids.com/percent.html
http://www.mathworksheets4kids.com/word-problems.html   WORD PROBS

http://www.algebra.com/ Fractions

Dividing Decimals - http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_946495&feature=iv&src_vid=eI6Xp6pwhqc&v=UiB1pB_5leU

Convering P into F/D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04eEAxkc4bk&feature=relmfu

Solving Ratio Word Probs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJIGXAfCcpQ

Manipulating Fractions http://www.careergym.com/blog_comment/numerical_quantitative_reasoning_best_practices_3_manipulating_fractions

http://www.careergym.com/blog_comment/numerical_quantitative_reasoning_best_practices_1_fuellling_up_the_tank

http://voices.yahoo.com/algebra-help-solve-boat-river-word-problems-2820345.html?cat=4

http://voices.yahoo.com/algebra-help-set-solve-percent-word-1960353.html?cat=4

http://voices.yahoo.com/algebra-help-solve-age-word-problems-3255471.html?cat=4

CFAT Math
https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Aarmy.ca+math&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gfe_rd=cr&ei=yDRMV7kUiY3xB4H0rJgP&gws_rd=ssl#

You can also check the 34-page Canadian Forces Aptitude Test (CFAT) FAQ  for CFAT book reviews:
https://army.ca/forums/index.php/topic,23193.825.html

also if possible in french

You could ask here,

Test d'aptitude 
http://milnet.ca/forums/index.php/topic,31679.100.html

« Last Edit: May 30, 2016, 16:05:35 by mariomike »

Offline hockey_10000

• Rate Post
« Reply #2047 on: May 30, 2016, 16:07:46 »
Thanks a lot you have been really helpful to me mariomike , thanks for taking the time to help out

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #2048 on: May 30, 2016, 16:11:09 »
Thanks a lot you have been really helpful to me mariomike , thanks for taking the time to help out

You are welcome. Good luck!  :)

Offline hockey_10000

• Rate Post
« Reply #2049 on: May 30, 2016, 16:15:34 »
Thanks and also i wish this post can help other people to prepare ! i found an app on android called CFAT trainer which is helpful not as much as a book but it will ask you questions similar to the ones on the test and it will give feedback after every questions . It is free but you can pay 6.99 and have 700 questions

So remember ''CFAT trainer'' on the App store