Author Topic: Canadian Forces Aptitude Test (CFAT) [MERGED]  (Read 1841311 times)

Offline kurokaze

• Rate Post
  • Reservist
Re: Canadian Forces Aptitude Test (CFAT) [MERGED]
« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2003, 11:15:00 »
1 min per question is ALOT of time.

Believe me.  Later on during basic and your
subsequent courses is when you‘ll really
appreciate the value of a minute (even seconds)

But I digress, the CFAT is not hard.
Stay calm and answer the questions that you
can immediately figure out.  That‘ll give you
more time to do the ones you have problems
with.

Offline Dano

• Rate Post
    • Star trek fan club
« Reply #51 on: July 23, 2003, 19:52:00 »
Well I called the recruiting office today and tould them I wanted to re-apply to the reserves. they asked me to bring in all my info again. I tould them that I had tryed the previous year and that all my info should still be on the computer and sure enough it is! so i have to go down to the office and get my files transfured from Hamilton and update any info. I‘m praying i‘ll do better with the CFAT this time! and if not I know now that I still have roads to go till i can retry. Also what in a case where somone keeps failing the CFAT, but they still come each chance and show great intrest, do they look at it in a negative way or a positive way?
The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.
- Martin Luther King Jr., Strength to Love, 1963

Offline Mat-V

• Rate Post
  • Recruit
« Reply #52 on: July 23, 2003, 23:11:00 »
I dont think it‘s negative. Of course im not in their boots so it‘s pure speculation but if you use common sense it only show how bad you want to join the CF. If you mention how hard you‘ve been trying to join and all the obsatcles you faced to the officer in your interview it will be positive for sure. The interview is where you show how motivated and how bad you want to join.
"The enemy resembles us. Therefore, he needs to be approached not as an assembly of â Ëœtargetsâ Ëœ to be destroyed one by one; but as a living, intelligent entity capable of acting and reacting." -Martin Van Creveld

Cycophant

« Reply #53 on: July 23, 2003, 23:55:00 »
Not to mention the fact that with each attempt on the CFAT, you should be learning from your mistakes, if possible.

Then again, when I took it, they certainly didn‘t give it back and tell you where you blew it.  But at least you know what to "study" on.

Offline clinton_84

• Rate Post
  • Pte
« Reply #54 on: July 24, 2003, 10:15:00 »
they dont tell you your score,i did the CFAT just over a week ago all they tell you is whether you passed or failed and what trades your eligible for
they told me i passed i didnt argue with it  ;)

Offline kurokaze

• Rate Post
  • Reservist
« Reply #55 on: July 24, 2003, 12:38:00 »
You can get your score through the Access to
Information Act.  Of course, I never considered
it worth $5 to get my score.  A pass is a pass
after all.

donkon

« Reply #56 on: November 03, 2003, 22:16:00 »
The ending of my college course is in the end of April, i was wondering when i should apply so that i have a chance to get into the army asap after i finish my school. Should i apply now? or around march? Thx

Offline Aquilus

• Rate Post
« Reply #57 on: November 03, 2003, 22:25:00 »
a lot of ppl ask this ... go to the recruiting centre and talk to them, they will know when the test dates are and give you a time frame for your area, MOC, etc.
they can also hold your file, so you can do all your tests asap and they will just hold your file. just go and talk to them.

donkon

« Reply #58 on: November 03, 2003, 22:41:00 »
how long do they hold the file?

donkon

« Reply #59 on: November 03, 2003, 22:42:00 »
Hey if u fail the app test how long does it take before u can retake it? I heard 1 year?? WTF?!?

Offline spacelord

• Rate Post
  • These go to eleven
« Reply #60 on: November 04, 2003, 00:19:00 »
I‘d suggest doing it as soon as possible. It will take longer than you think. you need to submit transcripts from highschool and university, letters of reference, your birth certificate and SIN. you might be able to do all the tests and interviews on the same day, but I had to wait about 2 weeks between the test and the interview.
If they come to ethnically cleanse me, will you speak out, will you defend me?

Offline Aquilus

• Rate Post
« Reply #61 on: November 04, 2003, 02:12:00 »
recruiting centre-->ask ask ask
I don‘t know how long they will hold it, they held mine for two months.

donkon

« Reply #62 on: November 04, 2003, 07:31:00 »
well i have 4 months before i can join so..

Offline Ex-Dragoon

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • dealing with life not that active here anymore
« Reply #63 on: November 04, 2003, 08:45:00 »
How can you fail an appitude test? There is always at least one job you can do in the CF no one is that useless.
I will leave your flesh on the mountains and fill the valleys with your carcasses. I will water the land with what flows from you, and the river beds shall be filled with your blood. When I snuff you out I will cover the heavens and all the stars will darken. Ezekiel 32:5-7
Tradition- Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid
Former RCN Sailor now Retired

Offline Benoit

• Fallen Comrade
  • Pte. (R)
« Reply #64 on: November 05, 2003, 16:46:00 »
listen hear ****head I failed the app test and I applied for the infantry. 9 people went in to do the test and only 3 passed. By no means am I useless  :salute:    :threat:
God I love it, God help me I do.
Gen.George Patton

Offline Ex-Dragoon

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • dealing with life not that active here anymore
« Reply #65 on: November 05, 2003, 20:15:00 »
Seems I struck a nerve, the purpose of an aptitude test is to see what you are suited for there is no pass or fail. You might not be suited for what you want but what do I know, I was only in TD‘d to recruiting for 6 months while on category.
I will leave your flesh on the mountains and fill the valleys with your carcasses. I will water the land with what flows from you, and the river beds shall be filled with your blood. When I snuff you out I will cover the heavens and all the stars will darken. Ezekiel 32:5-7
Tradition- Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid
Former RCN Sailor now Retired

Offline Bert

• Rate Post
  • Military
« Reply #66 on: November 05, 2003, 21:57:00 »
The aptitude test measures your ability in math, vocabulary, spacial recognition, problem solving within a time limit.  If a candidate isn‘t prepared, the test can be intimidating.

I suggest practicing with sample exams
(  http://www.jobs.gc.ca/menu/ui_examinfo_e.htm  )using the time limit and assessing where your problems will be.  If you can do the tests in the time limit (or close enough) to what they recommend and can complete most of the questions, you‘re sure to be ready for the CFAT.

donkon

« Reply #67 on: November 06, 2003, 22:49:00 »
Ok my weakness is math, but those questions i did on the site are easy as **** . I heard there are more categories than they show on the site. Can anyone tell me the categories that will be on it? Thx

Also say i apply for JTF2 in 4 years will they check my results from app test?

Offline Benoit

• Fallen Comrade
  • Pte. (R)
« Reply #68 on: January 14, 2004, 17:09:00 »
Hello Guys I Need a little bit of help here.  Im heading in to do my app test soon I need a few pointers on how to do well on the cfat. By the way I am applying to the infantry. Also how hard is it to pass the cfat? Or qualify for the infantry I should say. And also when is the next reg for basic starting? thanks alot.  :cdn:    :salute:    :cdn:
God I love it, God help me I do.
Gen.George Patton

Offline CheersShag

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • My mom says I'm cool
« Reply #69 on: January 14, 2004, 17:36:00 »
The CFAT‘s not really something you can study for, you can only practice it, come to think of it I guess there‘s not much of a difference between the two.
The best practice I was able to find was an Online IQ test, which is what the CFAT seems like. It‘s not hard to find an IQ test online either...pretty much all you have to do is go to Google and type in "IQ test."
Other then that the only advice I would have is to get a good nights rest, eat a good breakfast, blah blah blah etc. etc. Pretty common stuff.

Offline bobthebui|der

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I got a axe
« Reply #70 on: January 14, 2004, 20:35:00 »
I wouldnt worry about it, since its mostly common sense questions. Remember, its an APTITUDE test, used by the CF to determine which type of learner you are (in most cases). Che pretty much hit the nail on the head, show up rested and alert and you‘ll do fine. Only pointer i could give, is make sure to read the questions carefully, and dont rush because your given more than enough time to do it.
The true measure of a man is how well he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good

Munit Haec et Altera Vincit

"2..4..6..8..tiptoe, sneak, and infiltrate, yaaaaaay, recce!" - Kat Stevens

Offline GirlFiredUp

• Civilian
  • Rate Post
  • I work out. I do it so I can eat mcdonalds.
« Reply #71 on: January 24, 2004, 22:06:00 »
I‘m writing my CFAT on Tues morning and was wondering if the results determine if you are suitable for the trade you selected?  I‘m going reserve and chose SigOp.  I was told that I would have to score high on the math and unfortunately, I suck at math.  Well not completely but the problem solving and number sequences always seem to get me.  So lets say I don‘t score high on the math, does that mean I will have to choose another trade?  I‘ve been doing lots of different IQ tests on line to practice but you either have it or you don‘t.  I‘m nervous and if anyone can offer any suggestions or what to expect, I‘d really appreciate it.  Thanks.
You can employ men and hire hands to work 'for' you, but you must win their hearts to have them work 'with' you. - Malcolm Forbes

Offline Alex

• Rate Post
« Reply #72 on: January 24, 2004, 22:28:00 »
http://www.psc-cfp.gc.ca/ppc/grt_test_e.htm

That‘s a good test to practice with. It may seem difficult, but I think the CFAT is a bit easier. I haven‘t done it though, so dont quote me on that.

I think if your CFAT results don‘t match the requirements for your trade, you can either take it again or they give you your second or third choice of trade.

Doobie

« Reply #73 on: January 25, 2004, 10:45:00 »
Depending on your scores the CFAT will determine if you are eligibility for the trades you selected.  As with any other tests make sure you are fully rested prior to writing the CFAT, this will improve your chances of getting a better score.  The policy on re-writes is rather complex and will be explained to you if you do not meet the cut-off scores for you occupation selections.  Practicing similar tests as you have been doing is good.  Keep it up and good luck on Tue.

Offline GrahamD

• Rate Post
« Reply #74 on: January 26, 2004, 19:40:00 »
Just a thought, but generally apptitude tests measure the most basic elements of any given skill set, ie math, reading comprehension, sciences, etc.

If a trade requires that you are strong in math, and you aren‘t, then pursuing that trade may ultimately be setting yourself up for a very difficult time.  Things are going to move very quickly when you get to your MOC training, and (this is just my opinion)I personaly wouldn‘t want to find myself dealing with the frusteration of always feeling a step behind coupled with the fact that I was still trying to adjust to military life.

Showing up to your first day of SigOp training weak in the area of math, is no different than showing up to your first day of Infantry training weak in the area of fitness.  It‘s going to be hard enough on the prepared.

I would suggest that if you really want to pursue that trade, or any other math heavy trade, that you spend some time upgrading your math at school or nightschool.  Obviously there isn‘t any time to do that before you take your apptitude test, but if you should be qualified for SigOp after you do take it, then that would be my suggestion for the time that you are waiting for the rest of your application to move forward.

As I said, just a thought.

Good luck on your apptitude test!