Author Topic: Pushups- Try Reading Here First- Merged Thread  (Read 273795 times)

Offline Sundborg

• Rate Post
  • AB
Re: How many pushups were you able to do?
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2003, 11:26:00 »
Pumping iron is the best thing you can do to build up our muscels to give you that extra in your workouts.  ****, now that I think of it, I should go pump some iron tonight, I havn‘t done it for a week or so.
Don't look back; stay out of the mud.

CWeb26F

Pushups- Try Reading Here First- Merged Thread
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2004, 19:00:00 »
Hello everybody, my name is Cathy and I‘m new to the board. I‘m applying to ROTP for the last 2 years of my Nursing Degree (BScN). All the paperwork is in.

My PT test and CFAT is scheduled for March 30- I put this off deliberately because my fitness level was not the greatest. I have been working out hard since January, and even consulted a PSP guy from CFB Borden who did personal training on the side.

I unofficially passed the Grip, 20M shuttle run (although will be doing the Step Test at CFRS Barrie)and situp parts of the test (all easy). The problem was I couldn‘t do a single pushup (and as a 26 year old female I need 9). I have been working hard on this, and can now at least do 9 from the knees.

My questions are- how picky were the (I‘m assuming PSP folks) who did the pushup test? Did anyone get to do them from the knees? Did they use the same standards for everyone?

I‘m not sure what chances I have of getting accepted if I can‘t do the pushup thing properly (by March 30) I know I will have to do tons of them during BOT. In the meantime I‘m just going to keep working to develop strength.

Offline I_Drive_Planes

• Rate Post
Re: Pushups
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2004, 19:18:00 »
Hi,

I had my PT test last week, and they were really picky about the pushups, your hands have to be placed just so, and you have to go down till you touch the floor, and up until your elbows are fully locked.  If you keep working hard at it, you‘ll get it. Good luck!!
Fear of death will not prevent dying, but it may prevent livng

CWeb26F

« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2004, 19:25:00 »
Thanks for the encouragement Planes  :)

Now touching the floor would be easy for me as I am overweight and have rather large-you know ;-) However, I think the thing is your upper arms have to be parallel to the floor.

Could be worse I guess- you guys have to do 19!

Offline bobthebui|der

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I got a axe
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2004, 19:28:00 »
Just be careful you‘re doing eahc one properly. No need to waste energy on a push-up that doesnt count!
The true measure of a man is how well he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good

Munit Haec et Altera Vincit

"2..4..6..8..tiptoe, sneak, and infiltrate, yaaaaaay, recce!" - Kat Stevens

Offline GrahamD

• Rate Post
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2004, 19:47:00 »
I‘m not sure what chances I have of getting accepted if I can‘t do the pushup thing properly (by March 30) I know I will have to do tons of them during BOT. In the meantime I‘m just going to keep working to develop strength.  
You have to meet the minimum requirement.  Your best bet is to ask a recruiter about the "proper" way for females to do pushups.

I don‘t know myself if females are allowed to do them from the knees.

However, If you have to do them the same way as the men, then I would recommend reschedualing your PT test until you are sure that you can meet the minimum.  I would also recommend training to do a few extra so that you don‘t run into any trouble on test day if you are tired or something.

Anyway, good luck.

Offline Barb

• Rate Post
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2004, 19:59:00 »
When I first started to do push ups I couldn‘t even do one.  It took me about a month to do 3-4 and now on a good day I can do 15. Not alot I know but for me I am happy!!  I don‘t do them faithfully everyday though.  To build my upper body strength I also worked on my back, shoulders and chest at the gym with weights.  Maybe your friend from the gym can recommend some exercises to build your upper body strength.
I did mine at the base in Greenwood and here they do not let females do them on their knees.  They have to be proper "man" push ups!
As someone previously stated maybe you should reschedule your PT test until you can do the 9.  It saves you from being retested and having to pay for the test yourself.  And from what I was told, you get retested on everything, not just the pushups.
What ever you decide good luck and let us know how you make out!
Barb

Offline CathTaylor

• Rate Post
« Reply #32 on: March 10, 2004, 19:59:00 »
Hi Cathy, welcome. A suggestion, from one medi to another, get a couple of dumbells (weights *smile*) 10lb to start and work your anterior, medial, and posterior deltoids. If you try to target the brachialis it‘ll support the larger brachii when it‘s time to do the PT. Don‘t try the pushups until you‘ve done this for at least 2 weeks. You‘ll surprise yourself. I wish you luck, after all, we all need nurses!  ;)
First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.
-Mahatma Ghandi

CWeb26F

« Reply #33 on: March 10, 2004, 22:43:00 »
Thanks for everyone‘s tips !!!

Guess I‘m doing boy pushups, darn <g>

I‘ve got 3 weeks, and I‘m totally working on these- have seen improvements already.

Interesting- I agree with working delts Cath  :)  I was surprised, the routine the PSP guy gave me was somewhat chest- oriented. Also I need to work on keeping the head up, and energy conservation. Time to hit the gym for the weights!

You guys are awesome- wonderful motivational boost!

Yes Man

« Reply #34 on: March 10, 2004, 23:19:00 »
They are going to put a mat down in front of you that is about 8cm off the floor.  When you do each pushup you chin will have to touch the mat. Also unless they change the system for people over 26 (I don‘t think they have), you will have to do full pushups not just from the knee.

Offline Casing

• Rate Post
  • Gimme Farnham every day
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2004, 00:11:00 »
The CFRCs have some new recruiting literature.  Among these items is a small CD-ROM containing information about the exercises that you must do (situps, pushups, step test).  The interesting part of this is that there are some videos that give you examples of exactly how to perform said exercises for the test.  Very useful.  I recommend picking one of these CDs up and having a browse.

CWeb26F

« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2004, 00:29:00 »
Thx Casing, I have said little CD rom and have studied the pushup part of it minutely (a male and female side by side pushup to some funky music). It was helpful but I felt they could have had more info about what does not constitute a ‘legal‘ pushup, common errors, videos of actual tests (for example, there‘s nothing on the video about a chin- measuring mat). It wasn‘t bad though- one thing I learned from it was that your elbows had to point towards your feet and not out to the sides.

Offline Nerf herder

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • The usual suspect.
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2004, 04:00:00 »
First off welcome!

You must do proper "male" pushups...all 9 of them. No stopping, pausing or any of that crap.

My advise to you is forego the mini weights and hit the gym and get some serious workouts in if you have so little time before your testing.

Talk to the PSP guys and gals...they‘ll help you out in regards to your questions to form. You‘ll also be able to find out how picky in that regard when they test you they will be....

Did mine last year...pumped out 35 to standard. The PSP guy was a real jerk though...I actually pushed out 55.

Have fun...and again welcome  :D

Regards
Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who kept their swords.--Ben Franklin

"Going to war without France is like going deer hunting without your accordion."
    -Norman Schwartzkopf

kristiegen

« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2004, 07:29:00 »
Try an exercise ball that matches your height. If its extremely difficult, start at your waist. With the ball under your waist, your hands on floor in the pushup position. Do as many as you can for a few days, or until you know its too easy at that stage. Then move down to thighs, knees, then ankles. The ankles are the hardest. When you can do 9 at the ankles, the floor should be no problem. Unforunately you cannot do your pushups at the knees during the test, yes it would be easier, but I tell you doing it the "man" way is such an accomplishment. It took me about a month in a half to do one. When I took my test last Aug I was able to do 11, & I was so nervous to do 9. I tell you all that hard work paid off,I felt fantastic. Oh & just to tell you I originally decided to join the CF in Sept 2002, but did not put in my application until Feb 2003, just because of the difficulty with the pushups.

Good Luck!
Kris

Offline Greywolf

• Rate Post
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2004, 13:26:00 »
I find initially, if you have difficulty doing push ups, it would help if you go to the gym and work specifically on your triceps.  They have different types of equipment for this...just ask the staff there.  

When I did my push ups at the tests (1st time in Sept, 2003, 2nd time in Feb, 2004 because the first results expired), we didn‘t use a mat.  I just did it on the bare floor.  My chest didn‘t have to touch the ground, but I had to go low enough so my upper arms are parallel to the ground.  

If you don‘t pass the test, you can do it again (but you got to pay the second time).
Antes la muerte que la deshonra

Offline GrahamD

• Rate Post
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2004, 14:00:00 »
I just did my "update" test on Monday.  They used the mat.  However, don‘t be suprised if they don‘t use it, or even if they do things that you‘ve never heard discussed.  It seems to me that policies regarding everything are subject to change at a moments notice.

The first time I did my test, I found that my hand placement cost me about 10-15 pushups.  I was used to doing them with a relatively wide hand placement, where I could do as many as 45 before I‘d get really bad burning. He made me put my hands so close together that my thumbs could just about touch.  I was lucky to push out my 30th pushup, It took me about 5 seconds to do it.
My point is, be ready for it to be different than you expect.  Possibly a bit harder then when you do it at home.

I‘m sure for some people they exceed what they thought they could do, simply because of the excitement and adrenaline of the situation.  I wasn‘t one of those people.

I also think that drinking caffeine in the days leading up to the test also worked against me a little bit.  I was feeling groggy and a little agitated, as I often do when in caffiene withdrawl.  I passed no problem, but I think I could have done better.

Anyway, just a couple of things from my experience that you can consider if you so choose.
Good luck.

Offline Barb

• Rate Post
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2004, 15:23:00 »
When I did my push ups I asked prior to starting if my hands were placed correctly.  I didn‘t want to start them and then be told to begin again because my hands weren‘t placed properly.  The person who did my testing did an example of the push up before I began.  She did hers on the mat but I asked if I could do it on the bare floor as I did not feel comfortable on the mat.  No I wasn‘t whining!!!  I just made sure I expressed any concerns prior to the exercise I was about to do so I wouldn‘t mess it up. The order I did my PT test was first the step test, hand grip, push ups and then sit ups.  I am not sure if this is the standard or not or if it depends on the person who is testing you.

Andrea_Dawn

Push Ups....
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2004, 12:05:16 »
I am currently trying to get myself in push-up shape. I have a really hard time doing even 1 push up so I've started a more concentrated weight lifting routine to focus on pecs, upper back, shoulders, biceps and triceps (basically entire upper body). I'm in great shape, I exercise regularly. I plan to go to basic training next spring/summer so I want to be in the best shape possible. Before deciding to do my BScN through ROTP, I went to school and worked as a registered massage therapist. I worked full time for 2 years and had to stop because the job was killing me. :'( This is why I suspect that I have so much trouble with push ups - my wrists, elbows and shoulder joints arent in the greatest shape. Besides pumping up my weight lifting, is there anything else that would help me to get past one shaky push up?? Maybe someone else had the same problem........? Anyway, Im open to any and all suggestions!!

Offline Inch

• Signal Charlie Goodtimes
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • CH124 Driver
Re: Push Ups....
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2004, 12:15:13 »
Try doing them from your knees for the first little while, to train your muscles.  Then go from your toes till you can't do any more and drop down to your knees. Even starting in the up position and slowly lowering yourself down (called negatives) will help you get better at them if you can't push up at first.
You sir are a moron!
A Mormon? But I'm from Earth.

Offline Greywolf

• Rate Post
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2004, 18:24:33 »
It'll also help if you go to the gym and work on your triceps (with those tricep extension equipment...well, the gym staff will tell you which is good for helping with push ups). 
Antes la muerte que la deshonra

Offline Scaddie

• Rate Post
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2004, 19:41:25 »
Try doing a bit of swimming, and some more stretches to loosen your arms and shoulders up. Your stomach muscles play a role in pushups too, so don't forget about them!

Offline Bert

• Rate Post
  • Military
« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2004, 20:14:32 »
Another thing to do is re-visit your weight lifting routine and figuring out whether its
truly effective.  Are you lifting to little weight?  Are you training too long?  Are your
repetitions per set too much?   Are you over-training specific muscle groups? 
Too much rest between sets?  Too many exercises for that muscle group?

By over-training or over-doing exercise can lead to tendonitis of the joints like the wrist, elbow,
and shoulder.  These joints needs a good warm up before weights and its better to cycle
the routine so you don't over-exert.  Stretch the muscles around these joints before, during, and
after exercise.  As mentioned before, cross-training  weights with swimming, floor hockey,
badminton, etc provides recovery  time and maintains flexibility.

Offline Benoit

• Fallen Comrade
  • Pte. (R)
« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2004, 12:37:25 »
Swimming is a great way to build upper body strength but your probably no where near a pool...as mentiond b4 try doing them from your knees first this will help train your muscles to doing push-ups then when you feel comfortable move on to the regular ones b4 you know it you will be doing 30  or 40.
God I love it, God help me I do.
Gen.George Patton

Andrea_Dawn

« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2004, 13:25:55 »
Thanks everyone! One more question.......when doing the push ups, your elbows need to be as close to your body as possible right? Will I fail if my elbows stick out?? ???

Offline Cali

• Rate Post
Push ups
« Reply #49 on: October 04, 2004, 22:15:26 »
I was wondering if anyone here has any tips on how to improve my pushups.  I am trying to join the army and the only test I have left is the fitness and my only weak area is the pushups so if anyone has some tips that would be great thanks.