Author Topic: Pushups- Try Reading Here First- Merged Thread  (Read 280288 times)

Offline cryco

Just looking.

• Rate Post
Re: Long arms & Push-ups
« Reply #475 on: March 02, 2015, 14:38:39 »
Tall guys not only have to travel the weight more distance (or body), we also need to generate greater torque to move the same weight than a shorter person would have to.
Oh life can be unfair. ;)

Offline ZacheryK

• Rate Post
« Reply #476 on: March 02, 2015, 15:54:52 »
I'm about the same height as you, not built like a barn, but still. I found that if I narrowed my arms so that they were right under my shoulders, and didnt flare my elbows out at all, it was a lot easier for me to do pushups. Even still, I only did pushups in basic, once I hit my Infantry course course staff just kind of forgot about all that jazz and focused more on teaching us. Not to say we didnt receive our fair share of jackings. As was mentioned earlier you wont have to do pushups during the FORCE test, there is a pseudo burpee during the dash portion, but other than that you'll be fine.

If it's flat and dry it's a bonus.

Offline GreenWood

• Rate Post
  • Currently in the dreaded process of a CT
« Reply #477 on: March 02, 2015, 16:02:40 »
I have had shoulder surgery and I find that "Military Push-up" are easier on my body than standard push-ups. Maybe this might help you.

See ref below:

http://youtu.be/YMc1J7MnEMI

Offline cryco

Just looking.

• Rate Post
« Reply #478 on: March 02, 2015, 16:27:57 »
It will focus more on your tris and chest, so if you're not used to that, you will find it more difficult to do. The wider position is somewhat easier because your shoulders kick in, but many people have a tendency to flare elbows out and to place hands too far in front.
I try to do as many 'proper' push up as I can, ie, hands at chest level (so that if you flared your thumb to the side, it would touch your chest), elbows tucked (more or less) and about shoulder width, and when I can't get anymore out, I open up my stance and maybe get a couple of more in.
And when you're completely drained, wait a minute, and do some more with a wide stance.
You also do not need to lock your elbows. No exercise should ever lock the joint. It's horrible for your joints.

Offline Humphrey Bogart

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #479 on: March 02, 2015, 16:36:10 »
What are you benchpressing?  At 6'6 and 285 I have no doubt you are strong but are you strong relative to your size?  Which is really what a pushup is a measurement off anyways.

I had trouble cranking out more than 40 pushups and had pretty much plateaued.  I started lifting weights (followed Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength Program) and added 30+ pushups to my total.  The last time I ran an Expres Test, I cranked out 78 consecutive pushups.

I am 5'10 and weigh 192lbs; however, my max benchpress at that time was 260lbs. 1.35x my bodyweight

My advice to you, if you want to improve your pushups, would be the following:

1.  Lose 20lbs - Being heavy works for football but not so much for the Army.  If you shed down to 260ish with your height, your pushups will get better.

2.  Aim to benchpress at least 1x your bodyweight as a minimum, goal to strive for is between 1.3 and 1.5x your bodyweight.  You will crank pushups out like nothing then.

3.  What are your pullups/chinups like?  Your pushup problem could also be related to your back as these muscles tend to compliment each other.  You should aim to be able to do 12 to 15 consecutive chinups if you also want to rock at pushups.  These will also strengthen your core which will help with pushups. 

Last thing I would also do is everytime you lift weights, squat!  Squats are the most important exercise there is and if you crush squats every weight session, the rest of your body will also get strong.   
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 17:13:49 by RoyalDrew »

Offline SNB

• Rate Post
« Reply #480 on: March 02, 2015, 16:44:52 »
What are you benchpressing?  At 6'6 and 285 I have no doubt you are strong but are you strong relative to your size?  Which is really what a pushup is a measurement off anyways.

I had trouble cranking out more than 40 pushups and had pretty much plateaued.  I started lifting weights (followed Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength Program) and added 30+ pushups to my total.  The last time I ran an Expres Test, I cranked out 78 consecutive pushups.

I am 5'10 and weigh 192lbs; however, my max benchpress at that time was 260lbs. 1.35x my bodyweight

My advice to you, if you want to improve your pushups would be the following:

1.  Lose 20lbs - Being heavy works for football but not so much for the Army.  If you shed down to 260ish with your height, your pushups will get better.

2.  Aim to benchpress at least 1x your bodyweight as a minimum, goal to strive for is between 1.3 and 1.5x your bodyweight.  You will crank pushups out like nothing then.

3.  What are your pullups/chinups like?  Your pushup problem could also be related to your back as these muscles tend to compliment each other.  You should aim to be able to do 12 to 15 consecutive chinups if you also want to rock at pushups.  These will also strengthen your core which will help with pushups. 

Last thing I would also do is everytime you lift weights, squat!  Squats are the most important exercise their is and if crush squats every weight session, the rest of your body will also get strong.   

My max bench is at 315lb. Not exactly where it should be, but it is something that I struggle with (again with the long arms thing).
As for squats, I squat once a week normally. My other lower body day usually consists of power cleans and/or deadlifts. Also, I do plan to drop as much as 30lbs once I'm done with football. However, I have 3 more years of university to go.

Offline SNB

• Rate Post
« Reply #481 on: March 02, 2015, 16:54:34 »
Also, how picky will they be on having a high butt or say an arch in your back while doing them?

Offline MJP

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #482 on: March 02, 2015, 17:05:44 »
Also, how picky will they be on having a high butt or say an arch in your back while doing them?

There is no test on them, so while form matters it isn't an issue!  Worse case is someone will tell you to get your butt down.  You are really worrying about the wrong thing.
Hope is not a valid COA

Offline Humphrey Bogart

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #483 on: March 02, 2015, 17:11:34 »
My max bench is at 315lb. Not exactly where it should be, but it is something that I struggle with (again with the long arms thing).
As for squats, I squat once a week normally. My other lower body day usually consists of power cleans and/or deadlifts. Also, I do plan to drop as much as 30lbs once I'm done with football. However, I have 3 more years of university to go.

If you drop 30lbs, your pushups will def improve significantly.  You're also only 19 so you have plenty of time to get stronger.  I was a scrawny 160lbs when I joined the Army but as I got older, I got stronger naturally over time.  I sent you a PM btw.

I will also second what MJP says by saying that the military will not test you for pushups anymore, we have a new test so you need not worry about pushup form.  Nevertheless, I would never tell you to not get good at pushups because even if you won't be tested on them, you will still do lots!

Offline SNB

• Rate Post
« Reply #484 on: March 02, 2015, 17:13:08 »
If you drop 30lbs, your pushups will def improve significantly.  You're also only 19 so you have plenty of time to get stronger.  I was a scrawny 160lbs when I joined the Army but as I got older, I got stronger naturally over time.  I sent you a PM btw.

I will also second what MJP says by saying that the military will not test you for pushups anymore, we have a new test so you need not worry about pushup form.  Nevertheless, I would never tell you to not get good at pushups because even if you won't be tested on them, you will still do lots!
There is no test on them, so while form matters it isn't an issue!  Worse case is someone will tell you to get your butt down.  You are really worrying about the wrong thing.

I completely misread your first reply, MJP. I did not know that they had changed their testing up until now.
Opinions on the FORCE test?

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #485 on: March 02, 2015, 17:17:23 »

Fitness for Operational Requirements of CF Employment (FORCE): New PT test stds 
http://army.ca/forums/index.php?topic=106313.75

33 pages.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 14:00:17 by mariomike »

Offline MJP

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #486 on: March 02, 2015, 17:20:30 »
I completely misread your first reply, MJP. I did not know that they had changed their testing up until now.

If you can breathe and walk without falling over you will pass the test.  It is a joke among most in the CAF. 
Hope is not a valid COA

Offline runormal

• Rate Post
« Reply #487 on: March 02, 2015, 17:26:13 »
The timings are far too generous. I think it is a good base, but it leaves a lot to be desired.

Offline cryco

Just looking.

• Rate Post
« Reply #488 on: March 02, 2015, 17:45:47 »
Tall people with a high BMI will always have a hard time lifting relative to their weight.
Worry more about losing weight if you can. You will do a lot of running, and the extra weight will make your runs more difficult on your cardio and your knees. My goal is to lose 20 ish lbs, to make everything easier (240 lbs at 6'3"). And when I reach that goal, I'll see if I can lose some more without compromising my strength too much.

Ok, I found some of the science that explains the difficulty larger/taller people have:

taken from http://physics.stackexchange.com/

Strength

Strength goes like area. Intuitively, the cross sectional area of a muscle counts the number of muscle fibers (actually, myofibrils). Thus, S∝A∝L2. But mass goes like volume, M∝V∝L3. Therefore strength is proportional to the 2/3 power of mass,
S∝M2/3.
This equation expresses the fact that an increase in mass does not give a proportionate increase in strength. For example, adding 25% to your mass will increase your strength by about 16%, assuming your body composition and neuromuscular skills don't change appreciably.

Relative strength

In addition, we find that relative strength, strength per unit mass, goes like M−1/3,
SM∝M−1/3.
Thus, after adding 25% to your mass and getting 16% stronger, you are actually 7% weaker in terms of relative strength.

These facts are known, at least intuitively, to all athletes. In strength sports, formulas such as these are used to compare athletes across weight classes. For example the Wilks coefficient is used to ``normalize'' weight lifted. (In fact the Wilks coefficient is roughly (50/M)2/3, where M is the lifter's mass in kilograms.)

Some more interesting reading;
http://hep.ucsb.edu/courses/ph6b_99/0111299sci-scaling.html
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 17:58:47 by cryco »

Offline GreenWood

• Rate Post
  • Currently in the dreaded process of a CT
« Reply #489 on: March 02, 2015, 17:56:57 »
Again you shouldn't worry about it, you will get used to it. Just don't give up and results will follow, again expect to lose ALOT of weight, they will be controlling when you eat and will force you to drink ALOT!

I went in almost weighing 190 and came out a little below 150. We did more pushups than you could ever imagine, just as many pull-ups and had some awesome lengthy conversations while planking.

Offline Hatchet Man

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Pushups- Try Reading Here First- Merged Thread
« Reply #490 on: March 03, 2015, 16:31:46 »
You SHOULD worry about proper technique (or form as some call) with push ups (anything really) to ensure you don't grind your shoulders into dust. I won't say there is a right/wrong way, but there is definitely an optimal way and a suboptimal way to do push up. Dr. Kelly Starrett has made some very good videos of how to perform pushups optimally.

Also (tangent) but optimal push up technique also heavy relies on having a very strong "core".  When people with a weak core musculature do push ups, they do one of two things, butt in air or sagging back. 

Offline InBound

• Rate Post
« Reply #491 on: May 02, 2015, 20:39:12 »
If some one told you that in two months to the day, you had to perform 50 pushups in one set, unbroken, chest and chin to floor and full lockout at the elbows for 50 reps, or else they would kill somebody in your family.. Would you do pushups everyday? This is a very harsh example, but the point is, if you take this recruitment process seriously and want to do the best you can to further your chances of being hired by the CF, why not work just as hard? My advice is do pushups, pullups and situps and go for a run with a weighted backpack every morning as if poochie had a stick of radium in his kibbles and bits!   :salute:
Recruting Center: CFRC Hamilton
Regular/Reserve: Regular
Officer/NCM: NCM
Trade Choice 1:Infantry
Trade Choice 2: Artillery
Trade Choice 3:
Application Date: November 23, 2016
First Contact: December 1, 2016
CFAT Date : May 5, 2015
Interview Completed: April 5, 2017
References Contacted: April 6, 2017
Medical: May 16, 2017
Merit Listed:
Position Offered: Pending
Sworn in:Pending
BMQ:Pending

Online Blackadder1916

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #492 on: May 02, 2015, 23:04:29 »
If some one told you that in two months to the day, you had to perform 50 pushups in one set, unbroken, chest and chin to floor and full lockout at the elbows for 50 reps, or else they would kill somebody in your family.. Would you do pushups everyday?  . . . . .

No, I'd call the police.  Obviously, a person making such a threat is possibly a dangerous lunatic.
Whisky for the gentlemen that like it. And for the gentlemen that don't like it - Whisky.

Offline InBound

• Rate Post
« Reply #493 on: May 02, 2015, 23:14:20 »
Oh right! Yeah I forgot the police do things around here! Imagine that!  :bowing:
Recruting Center: CFRC Hamilton
Regular/Reserve: Regular
Officer/NCM: NCM
Trade Choice 1:Infantry
Trade Choice 2: Artillery
Trade Choice 3:
Application Date: November 23, 2016
First Contact: December 1, 2016
CFAT Date : May 5, 2015
Interview Completed: April 5, 2017
References Contacted: April 6, 2017
Medical: May 16, 2017
Merit Listed:
Position Offered: Pending
Sworn in:Pending
BMQ:Pending

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #494 on: October 28, 2016, 18:05:58 »
Adding for reference,

On the topic of pushups, do what's called greasing the groove.

I'll post a link but essentially it involves doing pushups throughout the day but never to your maximum effort.  You'll see massive gains very quickly.

https://breakingmuscle.com/strength-conditioning/greasing-the-groove-how-to-make-it-work-for-you

Do 60 to 70 percent of what your max is 5 or 6 Times a day, 5 to 6 Times a week and you'll see massive improvement.  Works for pretty much any muscle group you want to target.