Author Topic: Common Army Phase  (Read 190348 times)

Offline EMEgirl

• dorkus malorkus
  • Rate Post
  • Feisty
Common Army Phase
« on: March 13, 2004, 14:32:00 »
I‘ll be heading off to Phase 2 in Gagetown this summer.  I have a very slight build (115 pounds, 5‘6").  I‘m pretty nervous about CAP, because I think that there are 5 weeks of field time, and I tend to lose a significant amount of weight while in the field.  The longest I‘ve ever been in the field up until now, is for five day exercises, but not for five weeks in a row like CAP will be.  I was hoping someone could suggest any helpful ways for me to not waste away while in the field (particular foods or protein bars?).  Thanks.

Offline Redeye

Living The Afghan National Army Dream...

• Banned
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Hope Is Not A Method
    • The Unofficial Website of the Hastings & Prince Edward Regiment
Re: Common Army Phase
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2004, 15:26:00 »
It‘s not five weeks in a row, non-stop, you‘ll be back up top every now and then.  Eat all your IMPs and you‘ll be fine.
Palma Non Sine Pulvere - Nothing Worth Having Comes Easily!

Offline tree hugger

• Hug a Betula allegeniensis.
  • Rate Post
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2004, 15:30:00 »
I was med RTU‘d last year on CAP.  I‘m schedualed to be there this summer if I can convince my doctor that my knee is fine.  Try right now to gain some muscle mass ie. protein shakes.
Always behave like a duck.   Remain cool and unruffled on the surface but paddle like the dickens underneath.

Offline Not a Sig Op

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • I'm just a musical prostitute, my dear.
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2004, 15:37:00 »
Just a thought, but maybe you aren‘t eating everything there is to eat in your IMP? I know some of it tastes like crap, but if it‘s edible, it‘s there to be eaten.
Remember troops, the minimum acceptable standard is still an acceptable standard.

Offline Slim

• Just sliding along...
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Daylight in the swamp
    • Canadian Coast Guard Auxiliary
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2004, 15:42:00 »
See if they will allow you to eat the Winter Supliment Packages as well for energy...They do help some.
"The only thing required for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing"

Edmond Burke

Engineer Corporal

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2004, 15:53:00 »
Are knee pads frowned apon? What‘s the story.

Offline Habitant

• Rate Post
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2004, 16:03:00 »
CAP is physically demanding. It is doable though. Last summer, when I was CAP there was this small girl ‘Queenie" - she was maybe 5 feet and maybe 100lbs. She had such heart and drive. She did it. She proved to me that it was just a mental effort. You can overcome the physical.

If you have any CAP-specific questions, ask me. It‘s still fresh in my mind.

Tree hugger... Who are you? Were you on my course?
Lead by example.

Offline tree hugger

• Rate Post
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2004, 16:16:00 »
You would have been on the reserve CAP.  I was on the reg force CAP.
Always behave like a duck.   Remain cool and unruffled on the surface but paddle like the dickens underneath.

Offline BeadWindow(Banned)

• Banned
  • Rate Post
  • somewhere on the flotilla
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2004, 09:56:00 »
Grab a bottle of "Nlarge" at a bodybuilding store. Slam back some of those and you‘ll be beefier when you leave.....as a side note I put on 15 pounds in BMQ.....A quality whey protein will help you out as well. Avoid SOY protein powder. Its harder on your stomach to digest and absorb.
Welcome back.

Ian

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2004, 11:03:00 »
Good day,

How much field time is there on the Reg Force CAP? Is it 5 weeks (?) spread out into like 3-5 exercises?

Any other advice from ppl who did the course?

Habitant, altho you may have been on the Res CAP (?), how did the weekends work on your course? I assume a few of the weekends are in the field.. Just wondering if its worth it to bring my car or just take the free transportation.

Thanks!

Offline Habitant

• Rate Post
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2004, 13:18:00 »
Chesterfield,

In the 6 weeks of the course we had every OTHER weekend off. But it was a full weekend - Friday Eve until Sunday at 1800. It is not necessary to bring a car - it saves cab fare to Freddie... but you‘ll be so sleep f‘d you won‘t want to go anywhere execept to bed.

Tree hugger- you RMC?

Any other questions? Please ask!
Lead by example.

Offline Exodeus

• Rate Post
  • Officer Cadet
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2004, 13:30:00 »
Other than physical training, do you have any other preparation advice for CAP? Is there anything posted online like there was for BOTC? I‘ll be in Gagetown this summer too.

Offline Nerf herder

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • The usual suspect.
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2004, 13:48:00 »
Exodeus....when you here the tanks rolling about in the dead of night....

STAND UP!

That‘s all you really need to know. Have fun  ;)

Regards
Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who kept their swords.--Ben Franklin

"Going to war without France is like going deer hunting without your accordion."
    -Norman Schwartzkopf

Offline tree hugger

• Rate Post
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2004, 19:58:00 »
I‘m civi U at UNB.

kjhgfds

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2004, 19:08:00 »
Eat all your rations, get in the best shape possible and bring a little extra to the field. If you can, put on some muscle mass not fatty weight.

But, as long as you are well prepared physically for the course, its all mental. Just play the game, Good luck!

Superman

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2004, 07:14:00 »
What is it you do in CAP?

Offline kurokaze

• Rate Post
  • Reservist
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2004, 10:22:00 »
For anyone going to Gagetown for CAP(R), BE PREPARED FOR THE WEATHER!!!!  I can‘t stress that enough.. oh and the bugs too.

EMEgirl, I lost 20lbs in 5 weeks on that course.  You‘re not going to spend the entire 5 weeks in the field, but you are going to squeeze for time, especially meal times.  

I would also recommend bringing extra stuff like protein with you to the field.  I didn‘t and I paid for it.  But just remember, you‘re going to have to hump everything that you bring.

Army Man

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2004, 20:59:00 »
So aside from getting physically fit, there‘s not much else we can do to prepare?

Online PPCLI Guy

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • It's all good
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2004, 10:39:00 »
Determination is more important than muscle mass, and just as important as fitness.  It is about toughness vs fitness - both mental and physical.  Don‘t give up, look after yourself, and learn from others - you will be fine.
"The higher the rank, the more necessary it is that boldness should be accompanied by a reflective mind....for with increase in rank it becomes always a matter less of self-sacrifice and more a matter of the preservation of others, and the good of the whole."

Karl von Clausewitz

Offline quebecrunner

• Rate Post
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2004, 11:23:00 »
I‘ve got a question... Do every  army officer have to do the CAP? My MOC is health care administration officer (48) and i‘m doing my botp-r this summer.

They are so messed-up at my unit... they dont know what is the steps for training an officer...
for those about to rock; we salute you!
Ac/Dc

Online PPCLI Guy

• Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • It's all good
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2004, 12:41:00 »
CAP stands for Common Army Phase - and I know for a fact that Reg F HCA pers do the CAP - but I am not sure about Reserves.
"The higher the rank, the more necessary it is that boldness should be accompanied by a reflective mind....for with increase in rank it becomes always a matter less of self-sacrifice and more a matter of the preservation of others, and the good of the whole."

Karl von Clausewitz

Offline quebecrunner

• Rate Post
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2004, 21:04:00 »
there is something strange: The medical category that is necessary do be in the CAP is, for the vision V3. But i‘m V4 and the MOC that i was accepted is V4. So what it mean? My MOC is (48 health care administration). So, if i understand, i will not do the CAP because it is not required for my MOC? In the regular, the MOC 48 is V4 also...
for those about to rock; we salute you!
Ac/Dc

JohnSmith183

Phase I Common Army Phase (CAP) Training
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2004, 17:30:17 »
I was wondering if those with some experience in the forces could provide me with some information in regards to the  Phase I Common Army Phase (CAP) Training. Sometime this year I am scheduled to be posted to Gagetown in order to complete this 8 week training course and would like a heads up on what to expect before I go.

Responses to questions such as:

1) What topics are covered?
2) How many of those 8 weeks are in class? How many are out on the field?
3) How demanding is it physically, mentally?
4) Has any one gone through the course recently and have any tips or advice?
5) Can I obtain the course syllubus somewhere?

I thank you in advance for your time and effort,

Smith

Offline RCPalmer

• Rate Post
Re: Phase I Common Army Phase (CAP) Training
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2004, 00:31:46 »
For introductory information on Common Army Phase (Regular and Reserve) you can try the Infantry school's relatively small esternal website (  http://www.brunnet.net/infsch/ ).   Under "The School" you will find the Infantry School's Joining Instructions, which includes an annex for most of the courses being run out of there. Annex A describes CAP's performance objectives.   The course Training Plan and Master Lesson Plans are available through the DIN if you have access to that.   As for the level of difficulty, that depends on whether a person is taking regular of reserve CAP and on the background of the individual.

JohnSmith183

Re: Phase I Common Army Phase (CAP) Training
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2004, 09:15:32 »
RCPalmer,

Thank you for that information. For the record, I am reg force and unfortunately at this time have no access to the DIN. However, I will definitely take your advice and make it a point to access the DIN and obtain the specifics on the course itself.

However, if there is anyone else reading this entry and is able to provide some first had experience on the topic, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,

Smith