Author Topic: Common Army Phase  (Read 192017 times)

Offline Technoviking

DANCE TO THE TECHNOVIKING.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • OBEY!
Re: Common Army Phase
« Reply #50 on: January 29, 2007, 21:25:01 »
So on average, start time is late-ish May?
The dates I gave are the dates for the majority of the summer run courses.  Due to a variety of things (including CAP being mandatory for all army officers now, instead of just the combat arms as it was when I went through), CAP is run year round now at the Infantry School.  So, as an ROTP/UTPNCM officer candidate, you can pretty well bank on those dates.  Press your ULO (if such a thing still exists) for a course loading message.  Granted, I usually didn't get mine until a week prior to course starting.  But, back then, they were only run during that time. 
So, there I was....

Offline Wookilar

• Rate Post
  • Insert deep thought.....
« Reply #51 on: January 29, 2007, 23:52:22 »
Piper,

A new training schedule just went up in our lounge today (maybe yesterday). I will check it in the morning and see if it goes to May. We are already planning our summer training schedules for all UT's here, so I know the Lt will have the dates squirreled away. I'll post asap.

See you in Gagetown.

Wook

Edit: Our schedule here says 22 May 07, course starts. Can't wait.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2007, 08:54:02 by Wookilar »
Why are there swamps on top of hills?

Offline s.cradoc

• Rate Post
« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2007, 09:07:18 »
This is great, a cheers to everyone.

If I understand this correctly, I'm able to get on for a possible 22nd of May start date.  I'm wondering the difference between GMT, and BMQ if anyone happens to know.  Is the GMT is really necessary, as I'll be doing this shortened version of BMQ (I've been told about 20 days?) come May.  This was I figure if I can get into BMQ by the 1st of May, I can jump directly into CAP for the 22nd of May, with a finish around the 31st of July for my courses this summer.  I've got an early start date for Uni in August, I wanted to make sure that I'm back in time.

S.C.

Offline Technoviking

DANCE TO THE TECHNOVIKING.

• Army.ca Subscriber
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • OBEY!
« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2007, 21:26:51 »
You mention GMT and BMQ, which I do believe are for NCMs only.  CAP is for officers in the army, and stands for "Common Army Phase".  I don't know what reservists do prior to CAP.  They used to call it RESO...
So, there I was....

Offline Redeye

Living The Afghan National Army Dream...

• Banned
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Hope Is Not A Method
    • The Unofficial Website of the Hastings & Prince Edward Regiment
« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2007, 22:20:25 »
They do BMQ first (with NCMs) - which I think is wrong but what do I know - then on to a course that basically covers what RESO did in terms of leadership and battle procedure/small party tasks, then on to CAP.
Palma Non Sine Pulvere - Nothing Worth Having Comes Easily!

Offline Zell_Dietrich

• Rate Post
  • I’ve earned every scar I have by surviving.
« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2007, 22:37:13 »
Well,  untill recently I understood that Officers did Basic officer training course BOTC I & BOTC II then did CAP.  BMQ can be used to subsitute BOTC I.  There has been a change to the name BMOQ.  I have no idea what is going on with BMOQ for BOTC II, but I know that CAP is required for all.

I thought RESO was an entry plan for reservists.

All I know is I'm looking forward to CAP this summer.   :warstory:
“Men regard it as their right to return evil for evil and, if they cannot, feel they have lost their liberty” -  Aristotle

(If you feel forced to return evil with evil,  how much liberty do you have?)

Offline Meridian

• Rate Post
« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2007, 23:36:49 »
Well,  untill recently I understood that Officers did Basic officer training course BOTC I & BOTC II then did CAP.  BMQ can be used to subsitute BOTC I.  There has been a change to the name BMOQ.  I have no idea what is going on with BMOQ for BOTC II, but I know that CAP is required for all.

There is no BOTC I and BOTC for the Reg Force, but many people have used these terms (probably because they were once used that way).  From what instructors told me, BOTC was the old name for all of "Phase 1". 

In the Regs, Phase 1 consists of IAP (Initial Assessment Phase) & BOTP (Basic Officer Training Phase)  & (apparently now) SLT (Second Language Training).
So, in a sense, BOTC = IAP & BOTP combined.  & I suppose now, SLT (where required).

When I was looking at enrollment in the PRes, I was told that I could either join a RegF IAP/BOTP course during the summer, or tag along for  BMQ with the NCMs and have that qualify as my IAP,  since BMQ is an equivalent for IAP.  BOTP on the other hand Id still have to do in some other form or another.

Is this BMOQ supposed to be IAP, BOTP and SLT all combined into one? Or is it just a PRes creation, or just rumint?

Offline Breacher41

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Per Pietas et Virtus
« Reply #57 on: January 31, 2007, 01:39:56 »
OKAY! Here in 39CBG at least, ALL officer candidates will do BMQ when ever the course is available. the Second course for a PRes officer currently is BOTP2. This course was being runned out of Gagetown in the CTC Inf School for the past several years. The third course is CAP. All of this will complete the PRes Officer (Land) and Purple trades Phase I training. After this is up to the respective trades to handle their trainings.
هناك [هس تو] كنت يستعصي طريق

Offline Quag

• Rate Post
« Reply #58 on: February 05, 2007, 14:30:14 »
Does anyone know for sure when the CAP course will be run this summer.  (FOR SURE)?

Thanks

Online NFLD Sapper

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • CFSME STAFF
« Reply #59 on: February 05, 2007, 15:44:14 »
Best to ask via COC or your Training WO.
CHIMO!
First in, Last out
Sappers Lead the Way

Just tell your wife she owes your life to some Muddy Old Engineer,
Some dusty, crusty, croaking, joking Muddy Old Engineer

Offline Quag

• Rate Post
« Reply #60 on: February 05, 2007, 17:52:19 »
Best to ask via COC or your Training WO.

In progess, however I have found from previous experience that army.ca can tell me things faster haha.

Offline Cardstonkid

• Rate Post
« Reply #61 on: February 08, 2007, 16:15:12 »
My training WO gave me the following information:

According to the Army National Calendar CAP takes place on the following dates:

CAP MOD 1 - 5 START 28 May 07 END 10 Aug 07  - 3 Anglo Serials

1 - 5 START 18 Jun 07 END 31 Aug 07 - 3 Anglo Serials

1 - 5 START 17 Sep 07 END 30 Nov 07 -  2 Bilingual serials 2 Anglo Serials

Each Mod is 2 weeks long.  IE    MOD 1 28 may - 8 Jun

2 11 Jun - 22 Jun

3 25 Jun - 6 Jul

4   9 Jul - 20 Jul

5 23 Jul - 10 Aug

I am wondering if CAP is now the same for reg force and reserve members? It would seem so.

Is there normally a long weekend where one can fly out their wife for a conjugal visit? (Or as my wife calls it the "you left me with a 6 month old baby and 3 school aged kids for 11 weeks so you better fly me out so I can kick your A## visit!) :)

I am scheduled to do the 11 weeks starting on Sept. 17th. I am a bit worried about being lost in the woods (hey I am from the bald arse plains) and the humid cold. I was only in NB once and I have never been so cold in my life. (It was Septemberrrrrr :crybaby:)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2007, 16:18:09 by Cardstonkid »
UBIQUE!

Offline Quag

• Rate Post
« Reply #62 on: February 08, 2007, 16:20:47 »
I'll be with you Cardstonkid...

I assume your Reserves?

Offline Cardstonkid

• Rate Post
« Reply #63 on: February 08, 2007, 16:27:54 »
You presume correctly. You?
UBIQUE!

Offline Quag

• Rate Post
« Reply #64 on: February 08, 2007, 16:29:32 »
Regular Force.

Same course though.

Offline Redeye

Living The Afghan National Army Dream...

• Banned
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Hope Is Not A Method
    • The Unofficial Website of the Hastings & Prince Edward Regiment
« Reply #65 on: February 08, 2007, 18:57:50 »
Same course Reg and Reserve.  Normally Canada Day is a long weekend and leave passes are issued.
Palma Non Sine Pulvere - Nothing Worth Having Comes Easily!

Offline scoutfinch

• Groovy...
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #66 on: February 08, 2007, 19:03:11 »
My husband and youngest came from Halifax to visit every weekend.  Leave passes were required any time we weren't going to be sleeping in the shacks whether it was inside or outside the geographical radius normally requiring a leave pass.  There were the typical travel restrictions on Fridays after coming out of the field (ie. no driving for 12 hours or something like that) -- not even to Fredericton; however, there was no enforcement of the rule.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing ~ Edmund Burke

Offline Nerf herder

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
  • The usual suspect.
« Reply #67 on: February 08, 2007, 21:41:50 »
There were the typical travel restrictions on Fridays after coming out of the field (ie. no driving for 12 hours or something like that) -- not even to Fredericton; however, there was no enforcement of the rule.

Get into an accident during that period of no travel, or get caught by the DS of your course and see what happens.

The rules are there because a few years ago some students were involved in a vehicular accident that was caused by driver fatigue.

They had just gotten out of the field after an ex and were pretty much the equivelant of being drunk because of the exhaustive nature of the ex.

Regardless if you are driving or not, wait the 12 hours. It's not worth getting caught.

Regards
Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who kept their swords.--Ben Franklin

"Going to war without France is like going deer hunting without your accordion."
    -Norman Schwartzkopf

Offline scoutfinch

• Groovy...
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #68 on: February 08, 2007, 21:43:39 »
Hey -- up until 11 months ago, I was an insurance lawyer.  I agree with you 100%.  I am just telling you that the rule was stated but not enforced. 
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing ~ Edmund Burke

Offline Meridian

• Rate Post
« Reply #69 on: February 09, 2007, 22:00:49 »
Same course Reg and Reserve.  Normally Canada Day is a long weekend and leave passes are issued.

Except for IAP/BOTP.  At least when I did IAP/BOTP.  Canada Day was a working day, and we were in the Field, actually.

Offline scoutfinch

• Groovy...
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #70 on: February 09, 2007, 22:04:31 »
Read my last about weekends and holidays as per last summer.

Offline CdnArtyWife

• Rate Post
« Reply #71 on: February 09, 2007, 22:13:23 »
Don't count on the leave pass being issued for the Canada Day long weekend. I'm not saying it won't happen, just don't count on it.

My hubby did courses over that timeframe two years in a row, and he did not have the long weekend off either one. He did, however, get his "deferred holiday" at the end of the course... ::)

It depends on the course, the DS, and (in my experience) the will of God.
"For do not forget the soldiers that make up this military are solidly built characters hand hewn from everyday Canadian values: grace, integrity, physical and moral courage, and loyalty." ~ Maj Scott Lang

Offline Breacher41

• Mentor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • Per Pietas et Virtus
« Reply #72 on: February 09, 2007, 23:50:49 »
lol the DS dont work by the will of God, they work by the will of their Platoon Commanders  ;D. I think to many the only god there is, is the CDS  ;)
هناك [هس تو] كنت يستعصي طريق

Offline scoutfinch

• Groovy...
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #73 on: February 10, 2007, 11:02:17 »
People should note that CAP is taught in 2 week modules now which means people come and go every two weeks.  As a result, barring field time or CB incidents, most weekends will be free.

You can't provide an answer regarding current CAPs by looking at previous CAPs before modularization.

Offline kielbam

• Rate Post
« Reply #74 on: February 20, 2007, 00:42:47 »

Can anyone provide some information as to the differences in training between taking:

a) BMQ, SQ, BIQ - for NCM Infantry Resevists

b) BMQ, CAP - for Infantry Officer Reservist

In terms of learning all of the small party tasks, weapons handling, etc. that were discussed in detail in the SQ thread, will someone going into an Officer role (who is currently in BMQ) get the same training on the CAP course this summer?

I am on BMQ, to be on CAP this summer. Just want to know if I am missing on anything by not having taken the NCM courses before going commisioned? Will the CAP cover all aspects of the other NCM courses (+ much more) or is it a whole different ball game? :warstory:
Thanks