Author Topic: Cooks ( merged )  (Read 119203 times)

RebornXmetalhead

Cooks ( merged )
« on: May 29, 2004, 03:58:00 »
Hello everybody!

Although this is my first post, I‘ve been reading a lot on this forum lately.
If this isn‘t in the right section, I apologize, just move it into the right one if you must.

So, I‘m wondering if there are any cooks here? I‘m graduating from a culinary school in Laval (near Montreal, Quebec) in a month.

Wanting to join the army, I was wondering if this was an interesting trade. If any of you know anything about it (besides information on the forces websites) I‘d be grateful to hear about it.

Also, I have read that I wouldn‘t need to do the 16 week cook training in Alberta, since I‘d already have a diploma and would be qualified for the job.

I‘m having a hard time deciding between joining as a cook, or joining into some combat trade. I have sucky vision though, so I guess I don‘t have as much choice as everyone else.

Thanks for your time, rock on.

Offline brin11

• Rate Post
  • Gun Plumber
Re: Cooks!
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2004, 13:03:00 »
Welcome to the boards.  Moving thread to recruiting.
The enemy's gate is down.

Offline Gaara

• Rate Post
  • Student
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2004, 13:14:00 »
Hey. Yeah there is other trades.I got sucky vision to and they told me I can be a cook, medic, or a clerk.
Sabaku no Ali

D-n-A

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2004, 15:45:00 »
I‘m a "combat cook" at the moment(planning on remustering to the armour though). I know a guy in my unit who graduated from a culinary school, the only part of the Cook QL3 he had to take was the field portion of it. He is a reserve, I don‘t know if somone who joined up as a Cook in the reg force would be able to do the same.

Cook is a good trade, lot of hardwork. We can cook in a mess(on reg force bases), a small kitchen in the unit, in the field, etc. Since I‘ve been in, I‘ve cooked for my unit, and I got to goto the local naval reserve base in Vancouver, and cooked there for a few events.

We also train for defensive combat. A buddy of mine is on tour in the Golan Heights right now, he‘s a cook, an he does his job as a cook there, and also does  guard duty, etc

RebornXmetalhead

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2004, 16:42:00 »
Ok so a cook‘s job isn‘t just restricted to cooking. That‘s good to hear.

If will I have to go to Alberta just to take the field portion part?

The only thing that bothers me is not beeing able to see my brother and close friends if I‘m placed in another province.

I‘m starting to get back in shape, it‘s hard. Can‘t run much either, haven‘t in years.
Working hard. As for cooking, it‘s pretty easy if you‘re organised.

Thanks for the info.

D-n-A

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2004, 16:47:00 »
Where did you get Alberta from? As far as I know, the Cook QL3 is in Borden, Ontario. As for only coming onto the course for the field porition, talk to the career counsular at the CFRC. Getting in shape will help out a lot, Basic Training(BMQ) and the Soldier Qualification courses are physically demanding.

RebornXmetalhead

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2004, 16:59:00 »
Oh my mistake, Alberta was for some other trade. So you‘re right, it‘s Borden Ontario.

I‘m aware of how demanding it is (physicly, mentally, and emotionnaly) which is why I‘m preparing well in advance.

I‘m not sure when to start applications, I‘ve been told it‘s best to do BMQ during the summer, but have yet to know why. But I‘ve been thinking about the army for more than a year (decided to go to culinary school before instead), and just can‘t take my mind off it, it‘s a challenge I‘d love to accomplish.

Offline Old Cent Hand

• Rate Post
  • Soldier
    • http://N/A
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2004, 17:18:00 »
Try the military , it is a very rewarding career. As cook ,you can go to sea. and go on tours ( travel oportunities of a lifetime). when you finish your engagement , or retire,you will have a background , that any employer will jump at. In Germany , when I was there, military cooks took part in Culinary Competitions , against  European Chefs , and took top honors.
Training, must be demanding ! What do you want ? Wimps , or Warriors!?

RebornXmetalhead

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2004, 23:03:01 »
Sounds good.
Should I wait to start applications?
Is it really best to do BMQ training in summer?
How long is it between first application and the physical fitness exam?
Perhaps training in the winter would be better because it's not as warm...
Just wondering what would be best.
I'm not in the best shape so I probably need a few months to get fit.
Thanks for the info.

Offline Michael Greer

• Rate Post
  • Retired
    • Canadian Forces Cooks
CF Cooks Web Site
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2005, 01:31:07 »
Hello All,

The first ever web site for serving and retired Canadian Forces Cooks, MOC 861, or Cooks from the RCASC has been set up.   Yes, that's Regular, Reserve, or Allied Forces are welcome!   Over 80 Cooks have registered and 1600 visitors in the first 2 weeks.   Come check us out and look for old friends, or pass the word to those you feel will be interested.   Thanks in advance...   http://members.shaw.ca/cfcooks

Michael
CF Cooks Web Site!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2005, 01:37:02 by Michael Greer »
Change the things you can.  Those you can't, change the way you think about them!

http://members.shaw.ca/cfcooks

Offline Argento102

• Rate Post
  • Professional Contract Chef
Re: CF Cooks Web Site
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2005, 16:55:09 »
Although I went infantry while in the forces, I am a professional contract chef in civilian life. One of the highlights in my career was to teach aboard a Los Angelas Class Nuclear Sub the USS MINNEAPOLIS
 the Destroyer USS ROSS, & the Anti Sub Frigate USS Nicholas in January of 2004. I have sent a recent
query to personnel in our Canadian Forces, but I have yet to receive a response. I believe it is necessary to give our young sailors the best education.

Would any Chefs here have a direct line to someone who I would contact this. Any help would be appreciated, as the forces taught me so many valuable lessons that I

wouldnt have learned anywhere else. I'd like to give back.

Sincerely,

Darren Johns  :cdn:
11 Queen St, Port Hope
Ontario Canada
L1A 2Y8
905 885 8304
 :cdn: :cdn: :cdn: :cdn:

Hello All,

The first ever web site for serving and retired Canadian Forces Cooks, MOC 861, or Cooks from the RCASC has been set up.   Yes, that's Regular, Reserve, or Allied Forces are welcome!   Over 80 Cooks have registered and 1600 visitors in the first 2 weeks.   Come check us out and look for old friends, or pass the word to those you feel will be interested.   Thanks in advance...   http://members.shaw.ca/cfcooks

Michael
CF Cooks Web Site!

Offline Michael Greer

• Rate Post
  • Retired
    • Canadian Forces Cooks
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2005, 15:04:47 »
Hello Darren,

Here is a link to the CF Food Services Web site;  http://www.forces.gc.ca/admmat/logbranch/NCM861_e.asp

A note though, CF Cooks are trained by other CF Cooks at CFB Borden, and as far as I know, they are not contracting out training.  They might some time the future, which I personally think would be more beneficial.  The environmental portion of the training can take place on the job, which most if it is anyway.

Hope this is helpful.

Cheers,

Michael
Change the things you can.  Those you can't, change the way you think about them!

http://members.shaw.ca/cfcooks

Offline CheersShag

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • My mom says I'm cool
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2005, 15:07:14 »
Ah, Cooks, the last friendly faces you see before your day of beasting at the hands of instructors.

And the breakfasts, good god...so...goooood.

Offline Argento102

• Rate Post
  • Professional Contract Chef
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2005, 09:57:25 »
Thank you MIchael. Much appreciated!!! :cdn:

Hello Darren,

Here is a link to the CF Food Services Web site;   http://www.forces.gc.ca/admmat/logbranch/NCM861_e.asp

A note though, CF Cooks are trained by other CF Cooks at CFB Borden, and as far as I know, they are not contracting out training.   They might some time the future, which I personally think would be more beneficial.   The environmental portion of the training can take place on the job, which most if it is anyway.

Hope this is helpful.

Cheers,

Michael

Offline Deves

• Rate Post
CF Cooks - general (merged)
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2005, 20:47:40 »

Hi there I was wondering if any cooks could tell me how a usual day is? Do you do PT every morning or do you go straight to the kitchen to cook a meal. How much time in the field do cooks get? Do you get any infantry training for example do you ever go the ranges.
What would the percentage to civilian to military cooks be.
As anyone known of any cooks being able to switch trades during training? Also I would like to know is after having some training would you be able to get a tour. How often does a cook get a tour?

Another thing is my questions would be more directed to a Army cook (Combat cook) Can a cook do any special training besides just cook stuff. For example the pistol team or something.

Oh and another question. For a highly fit person how tough would it be to get Para Wings. Is this offered to a cook often?

Is it tough to go up the ranks in the Profession?

Thank you very much :salute:
« Last Edit: August 07, 2005, 20:50:19 by Derek »
DEVES
Life is hard, but it's harder if you're stupid.

Offline Roy Harding

He\'s Back.

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
Re: Can I get a little insight From Cooks!
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2005, 20:52:05 »

Hi there I was wondering if any cooks could tell me how a usual day is? Do you do PT every morning or do you go straight to the kitchen to cook a meal. How much time in the field do cooks get? Do you get any infantry training for example do you ever go the ranges.
What you the percentage to civilian to military cooks be.
As anyone known of any cooks being able to switch trades during training? Also I would like to know is after having some training would you be able to get a tour. How often does a cook get a tour?

Another thing is my questions would be more directed to a Army cook (Combat cook) Can a cook do any special training besides just cook stuff. For example the pistol team or something.

Oh and another question. For a highly fit person how tough would it be to get Para Wings. Is this offered to a cook often?

Is it tough to go up the ranks in the Profession?

Thank you very much :salute:

God bless you Derek.  Although I was not a Cook, I've always held fast to my belief that this trade was/is one of the hardest working, most maligned, and often ignored in the entire pantheon of Military Trades.  Thanks for showing an interest in it.

I cannot answer your questions, as I don't have the requisite background - however, I'm sure a Cook will be along shortly.
I love mankind.  It's people I can't stand.

Linus van Pelt

Offline Beadwindow 7

• Life is cruel, and I am but a small slice of life
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
  • ZBM2
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2005, 20:54:39 »
I've always held fast to my belief that this trade was/is one of the hardest working, most maligned, and often ignored in the entire pantheon of Military Trades.  

Agreed...also quite influential....a nice cook who's quick with a joke or a smile can make your day,

a surly one can kill it
Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Offline Britney Spears

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2005, 21:23:54 »
I'm not a cook either, although it was my first choice when I joined (ended up in the boring old infantry instead). Let me tell you that anyone who malignes or scoffs at a cook is almost guaranteed to be a reservist who's never been overseas. I'm not exaggerating one little bit when I say that the head KO is one of the most important and crucial positions in the camp, and rightly so. During operations the work of a cook is very demanding, starting the day early to prepare breakfast, and often working late into the night to ensure that soldiers coming back from long patrols and night operations don't hit the sack hungry. I can't speak for everyone but in my circle it was generally agreed that if any "perks" showed up, like extra air-conditioning units, the cooks should have the first pick, because happy and well rested cooks == happy, un-foodpoisoned troops. 

Agreed...also quite influential....a nice cook who's quick with a joke or a smile can make your day,

a surly one can kill it

You've got it completely backwards. If you like your food, then YOU better be the one who shows up at the meal line with hat in hand and head bowed in deference, paying the good cook every courtesey he/she deserves.  We had a grizzled old KO who never ceased to jeer and frazzel at the young troops (like me) at every meal, would bellow and curse at you if you had a split second of indecision, and thought nothing of pressganging off-duty troops for menial tasks which were beneith his dignity. We ate like kings and loved him like a father. 

That's quite a mouthful for someone who isn't actually a cook, but I do take my culinary delights seriously.
"I'd vote for you."
  -TCBF, whiskey601.

"Britney, if you wern't so young I would kiss you!"
  -a_majoor.

Offline Deves

• Rate Post
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2005, 02:24:31 »
Sounds like a cook is a well liked fellow! Anyways can anyone answer my questions? Is there any cooks around this forum?
DEVES

Offline Roy Harding

He\'s Back.

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2005, 02:34:32 »
Sounds like a cook is a well liked fellow! Anyways can anyone answer my questions? Is there any cooks around this forum?

Son, I'm sorry - I really thought there'd be a Cook along - there still may be.

For what it's worth, I've sent a couple of email messages to old Cook friends of mine - let's wait for replies before we give up hope.

And you're right - Cooks are usually well liked fellows!

In the meantime - I'll do a little research regarding your original questions, and I'll post them tomorrow night - they won't be right from the "Horse's Mouth", but perhaps the "Horse's ***" might be able to steer you into at least the right direction!!

Linus van Pelt

Offline Deves

• Rate Post
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2005, 02:45:22 »
Thanks alot Retired CC :salute:

And if any cooks come around please try to answer some of these questions.
DEVES

Offline InterestedParty

• Rate Post
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2005, 15:49:03 »
Derek,

Look below on the threads, there is a similar inquiry about cooks - there is poster called caper861 who is a cook - he was last active in July 20 - send him a PM - that might help,

cheers, mdh

Offline Roy Harding

He\'s Back.

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2005, 22:53:03 »
Derek,

Look below on the threads, there is a similar inquiry about cooks - there is poster called caper861 who is a cook - he was last active in July 20 - send him a PM - that might help,

cheers, mdh

Derek,

I'm going to assume that you took the above advice and got GOOD information from caper861.  Anything I might offer would be hearsay only (not to mention mixed up with my own opinions - of which I have too many).

Please let us know how you make out, and what you eventually decide.

Good luck.

Retired CC

Linus van Pelt

Offline Acorn

• Rate Post
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2005, 00:18:48 »
Cooks work hard and for long hours. They don't have time to be dinking around the internet.

That's why you haven't heard anything.

:salute: to Eagle Beak (EB) and Bernie (3 PPCLI C Coy c1982): on ex up at 0430 and finished work at 2030 (or later if the troops were out on a night ex). Always hot food, always good, always fresh baked goods overnight. They set the standard I applied to all cooks I encountered through my career. Most met it.

Acorn
"Liberal societies cannot be defended by herbivores. We need carnivores to save us." - Michael Ignatieff, The Lesser Evil

Offline FormerHorseGuard

• Rate Post
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2005, 16:31:56 »
from what  i remember of watching the cooks at various bases
up at early hours,  we would go pick up the breakfast rations at 0dark30 and the cooks would already have them ready and be making the breakfast for the rest of the mess hall. so i would have to say  they are up very early if they are on breakfast details.

long hours are the normal day for them.
there is not a lot of time to do much between meal hours,  guessing 0530 would be the morning shift for a cook,  mess hours 0630 till 0800 for breakfast, then clean up and get ready for the lunch , 1130 till 1300 , then clean up and prepare for supper , 1630 till 1800
then clean up and go home.
so depending on your mess duties you do have long days , especially when it is hot and humid out, i do not wish to be in a hot kitchen in the heat.

courses I think most courses would be open to you besides cooking courses. just have to earn your way on the course like any other CSS person.

People here may or may  not know  but the Cook at the GG's house in Ottawa is CF chef,  a very  good one  at that. So you have the chance to aspire to cooking at levels that  most chefs cannot dream of. There are international cooking contests just for army  cooks,  one navy  guy from Base Toronto entered one year I was there, he went to France I think for the contest, did not win but had fun.

Yeah most cooks do tend to become over weight a little but that  is not because they are lazy, think there is too much good food around to try.

Physical fitness on the one base where I spent most of my time was a personal thing and guess for cooks you woud have to do at strange hours and not expect a lot of group PT outside of course time.

Cooking courses are not all how to cook,  but as you go up the ranks, expect budgeting classes, food prep, storage, health codes, fieild operations, meaning setting up and operating int he field, including saftey and army stuff like how to defend yourself and the camp. how to order food,  how to cook for large groups, etc.

I have never had any  serious complaints about army  food cooked in a kitchen, field kitchens are the best, nothing beats the smell of fresh food in the morning.

if your going in as a cook good luck and enjoy it, because your cooking fr your friends and they count on your for good hot food, and a good joke to begin their day