Author Topic: Security Check/Level Superthread [MERGED]  (Read 636759 times)

Offline Good2Golf

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Dammit! I lost my sand-wedge on that last jump!
Re: Can security verification be done before BMQ?
« Reply #1050 on: March 08, 2018, 00:41:01 »
A secondary question (which I know has already been hashed and can't be answered, but I'll ask it anyway if anyone can comment.) what is involved in the level 3 clearance for AESOP? From my understanding there are different "branches" of level 3, but I don't have a solid understanding of what's different between them, and which one AESOP requires. (Again, from reading here it seems that, for example, a level 3 for comms, and level 3 for MP is different. Or one is tougher?)

In additional to the points Lumber has mentioned, perhaps take a moment to reflect on the question above, you asked.  Imagine how someone might view such a question: someone on the Internet is asking for details about TOP SECRET security clearance activities for a specific technical trade and the country's armed forces.  Except for unclassified information about basic processing and high-level policies about validity, applicability, etc., it probably stands to reason that details about a particular level of security clearance may actually be considered, for the most part, to be treated at the same level as the category itself.  I.e. specific details about TOP SECRET clearance may be, you know, TOP SECRET.   Do you really want to be asking the question you asked?  See what I mean?

:2c:

Regards
G2G

Offline Buck_HRA

• Directing Staff
  • Rate Post
    • CAF - Find a Recruiter
Re: Security Check/Level Superthread [MERGED]
« Reply #1051 on: March 08, 2018, 14:17:07 »
Hi, I just had my Pre-Assessment interview today. It went well and they are sending my file off. I lived in Egypt for 4 years (worked at a restaurant) and returned home to Canada in  2010. I do not have any relatives outside of the country. I know it would just be a guess but they said it can take up to 18 months to come back. Does it ever take that long? Has anyone hear had the same issue of living in Egypt?
Thanks in advance!

Laura

That is accurate, applicants with foreign implications can take anywhere between 12-18 months (and I've seen some cases where it took longer) for the pre-sec to come back.  There have been a handful of cases where it went quicker but keep in mind that Recruiters should be helping to manage your expectations; if in one case a foreign implication file came back in 6 months and in every other case it took 18 months the recruiter won't tell you that it takes 6 months; they'll tell you that it take on average 18 months.

Offline neacha67

• Rate Post
« Reply #1052 on: March 09, 2018, 07:48:24 »
OK thanks for the information. I will be patient.

Offline jdog

• Rate Post
« Reply #1053 on: March 09, 2018, 07:57:31 »
Thank you very much Lumber and Good2Golf!

I really appreciate the info and time for the replies. My apologies once again as I know the question is probably more paranoid and worrisome than what's actually needed... It's just I can't seem to find any decent reliable information online (which is understandable, as there really shouldn't be information about it just floating around), which just leads to a vicious circle.

I spoke to my recruiter about it a little more, and even he said with what he saw on my forms, there shouldn't be any problems. The only question I couldn't get an answer to was the worst case "What if I fail level 3?" and his reply "You won't".

My biggest fear is going through probably a year or more of training (this is after the year of applying and paperwork), and completely dumping my current career, to only land myself in limbo because of a failed clearance. (Again, yes, paranoid/worst-case scenario thinking... But sweating the small stuff is part of the Air side of things too.)

Thank you again gentlemen.

Offline Lumber

• Donor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1054 on: March 09, 2018, 09:22:44 »
My biggest fear is going through probably a year or more of training (this is after the year of applying and paperwork), and completely dumping my current career, to only land myself in limbo because of a failed clearance. (Again, yes, paranoid/worst-case scenario thinking... But sweating the small stuff is part of the Air side of things too.)

Thank you again gentlemen.

You're fear is either extremely unfounded, or you're not telling us something. Did you get busted for pot possession at 16? Did you make fake credit cards applications at 17 and use them at movie theaters? Did you get caught trying to break into cars at 15?

"Aboard his ship, there is nothing outside a captain's control." - Captain Sir Edward Pellew

“Extremes to the right and to the left of any political dispute are always wrong.”
― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Death before dishonour! Nothing before coffee!

Offline jdog

• Rate Post
« Reply #1055 on: March 09, 2018, 11:26:08 »
You're fear is either extremely unfounded, or you're not telling us something.

I'm confident it's unfounded and I'm uselessly worried after everything said.
Worst things I've ever done in my life that could affect me:
-Speeding ticket. (The only time I've ever been in "trouble" with the police).
-"Borrowed" the family car when I was 15. (Lived in middle of nowhere country, drove it up and down the road a couple times. Didn't get caught, so it's not like it's on my record.) ... Although the *** kicking I got from my mom was probably worse.

-No criminal record from youth or adult years.
-I pass a yearly criminal record check and vulnerable sector check for volunteer work I do... So I'm really doubting I'm gonna hit any brick walls.

Again... It's pure fear of the unknown at this point. If I jump from my current job, and something goes wrong, I am beyond screwed as I'm from such a rural area, there's no hope for me to get another job that can support my house/car/bills. But after what you guys have said, and my recruiter's reaction, I'm confident it won't be an issue for me.
(Never hurts to ask when you don't know right?)

At the end of the day, I can't do anything to guarantee I won't have any problems transitioning to the new career. I could break my leg in basic, come down with some crazy disease, or get hit by a car. The odds of those happening are probably higher.

Again, thanks for all the info and help. I'll try and update as things progress (I suppose I probably won't be able to give any more info at some point along the ride, but I'll do what I can until then).

EDIT - One of the biggest factors that leads to my fear... I've had my current job for nearly 13 years. Raised my kids with it, bought my house and car with it, and there's no hope for going back once I jump. So it's like playing Russian Roulette. If things don't work out, I'm very very screwed.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 11:29:08 by jdog »

Offline Lumber

• Donor
  • Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1056 on: March 09, 2018, 13:44:31 »
I'm confident it's unfounded and I'm uselessly worried after everything said.
Worst things I've ever done in my life that could affect me:
-Speeding ticket. (The only time I've ever been in "trouble" with the police).
-"Borrowed" the family car when I was 15. (Lived in middle of nowhere country, drove it up and down the road a couple times. Didn't get caught, so it's not like it's on my record.) ... Although the *** kicking I got from my mom was probably worse.

-No criminal record from youth or adult years.
-I pass a yearly criminal record check and vulnerable sector check for volunteer work I do... So I'm really doubting I'm gonna hit any brick walls.

Again... It's pure fear of the unknown at this point. If I jump from my current job, and something goes wrong, I am beyond screwed as I'm from such a rural area, there's no hope for me to get another job that can support my house/car/bills. But after what you guys have said, and my recruiter's reaction, I'm confident it won't be an issue for me.
(Never hurts to ask when you don't know right?)

At the end of the day, I can't do anything to guarantee I won't have any problems transitioning to the new career. I could break my leg in basic, come down with some crazy disease, or get hit by a car. The odds of those happening are probably higher.

Again, thanks for all the info and help. I'll try and update as things progress (I suppose I probably won't be able to give any more info at some point along the ride, but I'll do what I can until then).

EDIT - One of the biggest factors that leads to my fear... I've had my current job for nearly 13 years. Raised my kids with it, bought my house and car with it, and there's no hope for going back once I jump. So it's like playing Russian Roulette. If things don't work out, I'm very very screwed.

There are a ton of reasons that you could end up released; injury, poor performance, poor conduct, etc. As I've said, I've never seen anyone fail their security clearance application.

Worry about preparing yourself for basic training; exercise and eat healthy.
"Aboard his ship, there is nothing outside a captain's control." - Captain Sir Edward Pellew

“Extremes to the right and to the left of any political dispute are always wrong.”
― Dwight D. Eisenhower

Death before dishonour! Nothing before coffee!

Offline jdog

• Rate Post
« Reply #1057 on: March 09, 2018, 15:11:29 »
Worry about preparing yourself for basic training; exercise and eat healthy.

Yeppers! Already in progress and it's working great. Full steam ahead!

Thanks again for all your help.

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
« Reply #1058 on: March 31, 2018, 18:37:01 »
Quick question for anyone out there with a similar experience or anyone willing to provide some insight,

For reference, see also.

OP: Stinton93
https://milnet.ca/forums/index.php/topic,28430.msg1527212.html#msg1527212

Offline Stinton93

• Rate Post
« Reply #1059 on: April 01, 2018, 18:32:07 »
Does anyone know any reasons you could be denied level III clearance? Do arrests for any reason count?

Offline Buck_HRA

• Directing Staff
  • Rate Post
    • CAF - Find a Recruiter
« Reply #1060 on: April 04, 2018, 16:30:16 »
Does anyone know any reasons you could be denied level III clearance? Do arrests for any reason count?

There are a multitude of reasons why a Level III Clearance could be denied.  That's like saying "does anyone know of any reasons a bank could deny me a loan".
Yes arrests will factor into the approval/denial of a Level III.

Offline Oldgateboatdriver

• Army.ca Veteran
  • Rate Post
« Reply #1061 on: April 04, 2018, 16:39:37 »
The slightest doubt or incongruity can deny you a level III clearance.

Offline Ceasar1989

• Rate Post
« Reply #1062 on: April 13, 2018, 02:46:05 »
I applied for intel ops in the NAVRES. I have completed all the steps including reference checks have been completed and sent back to DND. I emailed the recruiter on the status of my file and said that I should be receiving a letter about my reliability screening soon. Has anyone been through this what should I expect from the letter (positive outcome or negative)? I’m so nervous is it possibility it might be an offer letter?

Also online shows intel ops is not hiring anymore. When I asked the recruiter he said I’m still good for this occupation. What are the chances I might get an offer before the summer?

Thanks

Offline Ceasar1989

• Rate Post
« Reply #1063 on: April 13, 2018, 11:02:38 »
I applied to HMCS nonsuch. So far the process has been so quick I could barely keep up but now I’m just waiting on my reliability status which I’ve been waiting 3 weeks now. So when the file manager said a letter had been sent out I was surprised it was that quick.

I had a couple of kore questions if you don’t mind.

I have a 3 year college diploma in business admin, I am afraid a lot of people applied to intel ops, how is the competition?

I think I missed a couple of calls from the military they didn’t leave a message. What should I do?

My background is from  a Middle East country known for their terrorism. I wasn’t born in Canada but came when I was 2 years old. I have visited my home country about 3 times in the last 10 years which I told the military. Also I had a government job 5 years ago which required a secret clearance will this help speed up my reliability screening? Or slow it down?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 11:08:35 by Ceasar1989 »

Offline Shon.L77

• Rate Post
« Reply #1064 on: April 14, 2018, 11:56:59 »
Hi, I just had my Pre-Assessment interview today. It went well and they are sending my file off. I lived in Egypt for 4 years (worked at a restaurant) and returned home to Canada in  2010. I do not have any relatives outside of the country. I know it would just be a guess but they said it can take up to 18 months to come back. Does it ever take that long? Has anyone hear had the same issue of living in Egypt?
Thanks in advance!

Laura

My case seems more complicated than yours as I 1) was born 2) direct family members residing 3) have stayed
more than 4 yrs outside Canada. I completed the lvl2 security(Pre enrolment) last Nov., as I know, it might take 18 months or shorter depending on urgency of trade you selected.(If in demand, it would be  shorter)Hope my case a bit of help for your understanding.
===
Level 2 security clearance
Drafted & reviewed with my file manager : Mar - Apr2017(Got a target interview as well as reference check conducted by Mintz Global)
Finalized Form sent off to Ottawa : Jun01,2017
Contacted by Security Investigation Agent : End of Sep 2017
Phone interview conducted by the investigator : Mid Oct 2017
Granted and moved to nexty steps(interview&Medical) : Mid Nov 2017

Offline jfposada

• Rate Post
« Reply #1065 on: April 26, 2018, 14:05:52 »
Hi,
Is it true that for Reserve Officer (Armoured Recce) they only look at your past 5 years in order to determine if you need enhanced screening? I have dual citizenship since birth and grew up abroad, but I have been based in Canada for the past 6 years and only left the country for vacations.
Thanks.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 17:19:51 by jfposada »

Offline Limabeezy

• Rate Post
Dual Citizen/Security Clearance
« Reply #1066 on: August 12, 2018, 19:00:43 »
Currently a U.S. citizen residing in the U.S. that has the ability to apply for a dual citizenship and join the CAF. How long would the enlistment process take for me seeing as though ive lived out of country for so long? How would the security clearance process go for me? Currently a commercial diver with my DCBC (Canadian Cert.) Looking to continue diving if possible.
Thank you!

Offline mariomike

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Fixture
  • Rate Post
    • The job.
Re: Dual Citizen/Security Clearance
« Reply #1067 on: August 12, 2018, 19:50:39 »
Currently a commercial diver with my DCBC (Canadian Cert.) Looking to continue diving if possible.

For diving discussions.
https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Aarmy.ca+diver&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gws_rd=ssl

As always, Recruiting is your most trusted source of official, up to date information.

"Unofficial site, not associated with DND or the Canadian Armed Forces."
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 19:53:23 by mariomike »

Offline Jiminito

• Rate Post
« Reply #1068 on: August 19, 2018, 10:42:01 »
Will dropping dual citizenship status speed up pre-enrolment security check?

Offline Jiminito

• Rate Post
« Reply #1069 on: August 23, 2018, 19:03:06 »
Is it a good idea to fill out 330-60 while waiting for Pre-Enrolment Screen decision? Given dual citizenship, lived abroad within past 10years, and have immediate family in a foreign country.

Offline Xylric

• Rate Post
« Reply #1070 on: August 24, 2018, 12:39:55 »
I feel a bit silly for asking, but considering it caused a three hour delay crossing the border into the US on at least one occasion, it seemed appropriate.

Back when he was 8 years old, my grandfather attended a summer camp at the invitation of a friend.

Nearly fifty years later, a border guard showed him a photo of that same camp, and asked a few pointed questions. Do you know where this was taken, do you know this particular person, and so on.

It turns out that the camp his friend had invited him to was a communist youth camp, and one of the men running it later became the leader of the party in the province.

That's not likely to reflect on me, is it?

Offline Buck_HRA

• Directing Staff
  • Rate Post
    • CAF - Find a Recruiter
« Reply #1071 on: September 06, 2018, 11:52:52 »
Will dropping dual citizenship status speed up pre-enrolment security check?
No, regardless of dual citizenship or just Canadian; you would still have "foreign" implications and you would still have to do through pre-sec process.

Is it a good idea to fill out 330-60 while waiting for Pre-Enrolment Screen decision? Given dual citizenship, lived abroad within past 10years, and have immediate family in a foreign country.

Your form has to be "current" and only cover the period for which it asks.  You can start the process now to make it easier/quicker to submit it when asked for it; beyond making your life easier it makes no difference in the recruiting process whether you start filling it out now or later as you cannot submit it until it's asked for.

I feel a bit silly for asking, but considering it caused a three hour delay crossing the border into the US on at least one occasion, it seemed appropriate.

Back when he was 8 years old, my grandfather attended a summer camp at the invitation of a friend.

Nearly fifty years later, a border guard showed him a photo of that same camp, and asked a few pointed questions. Do you know where this was taken, do you know this particular person, and so on.

It turns out that the camp his friend had invited him to was a communist youth camp, and one of the men running it later became the leader of the party in the province.

That's not likely to reflect on me, is it?

It "might" pop up depending on what database that information is held; but that's no different than someone being related to an individual who has committed a criminal act.  You might be asked questions about it; but I wouldn't see it causing issues with your enrollment.

Offline Gcnav

• Rate Post
« Reply #1072 on: September 09, 2018, 02:06:03 »
Hey guys,

I've been reading through the forums for the last couple days trying to figure out some more information of security clearances, but cant seem direct answers to some of my questions. Hoping for some help and insight from anyone.

I am in the Navy, only been here about a month, sitting in a pat platoon room waiting for things like Level II (Secret) security clearance. Talking with others Ive come to learn that things are pretty backed up and can take a while. Some here have been waiting ten months with no answer yet. 1) even though things may be backed up, is this normal? Or is it more of an individual case? 

What exactly are they looking for when granting a level II clearance. I have nothing to hide and have been 100% honest with my application, I guess its just the fear of the unknown that makes me worried I may not get the clearance I need. I've never lived outside of Canada, have visited Cuba, Jamaica, Dominican on vacations. I'm married and separated with a divorce still in progress. No criminal record. I do have some debt, but its under 9,000 on a line of credit but I've never missed a payment and the amount has been lowering with every month. I have 6 siblings though, some of which have a record - mostly for alcohol I assume. The only part besides a little debt that I'm concerned about is the fact that I have been terminated from employment before. I put the details in the Stat Dec section. Its two jobs over the last ten years that I was actually unaware that they "fired" me for. I had quit both jobs during the probationary period with notice, I was only aware they put "dismissed" on my ROE with reviewing them on service Canada for timelines of employment history for the Level II application.

Should I have anything to worry about?
Has anyone heard of anyone being denied secret clearances? And for what kind of things?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help and possibly put my mind at ease since Ill be waiting probably quite a while for the accepted/denied status.

Offline Good2Golf

• Directing Staff
  • Army.ca Legend
  • Rate Post
  • Dammit! I lost my sand-wedge on that last jump!
« Reply #1073 on: September 09, 2018, 10:44:47 »
Security clearances can take some time, months even, so some of the wait times you are hearing are not out of the ordinary.  As you noted, you have provided accurately all the information requested, so there is not much else you can do at this point unless asked for additional information.  While it can be frustrating to wait, there is not much you can do directly at this time, so now would be a good time to practice patience and thinking about some of the other activities you can do in preparation for the next step of training.  Honestly, it is not worth trying to over-think how the various factors you mentioned may be taken into account by those conducting the security clearance assessment.

Good luck on your ongoing training!

Regards
G2G